Short walk

One-Sided Love

“What was that about?” Eunji almost yelled loudly, but still lowered her volume.

You shrugged in response because even you didn’t know what was happening. That was the first time he ever showed you that side of his and so sudden.

“Is there something between you two?” your friend’s tone suddenly changed to a teasing one.

“Anni” you quickly replied.

“Do you think he likes you?” you looked at her surprised, it made you blush. But reality hit you when you remembered that he was popular and you were just a plain girl. There was no way that could be happening.

“Impossible, even if he does, you know I got Yoseob-oppa”

“You haven’t even confessed to him” Eunji shook her head.


You and Eunji were already in class for homeroom. When the first bell rang, Jinyoung got in with his friend laughing.

The two of you had an eye-contact which lasted a fraction of second, but you wished it could’ve been longer.

The teacher then came in and gave a free period to work on the assignment.

You got up to go to Jinyoung, but the time it took you to gather your things together, he already arrived and sat down. You looked at him as if he had super natural powers. *How does it always manage to be so quick?* you asked yourself.

“Mianhae” he whispered.

“What for?” you looked at him confused.

“Earlier—”

“It’s nothing” you smilingly assured him. “I was clumsy. I should be the one thanking you instead”

He nodded and smiled back. He looked at you who were looking for the sheets you did last time at the library. *If only you thought of me more than that…*

For the first 10 minutes, both of you started to work on the project, but as time slowly passed, you quickly grew bored and so did your partner.

“Let’s do that another time” he pleaded.

“Agree” you tiredly nodded “Are you free sometime next week?” you asked.

“Why not this weekend?”

“I thought you’d be busy…” you admitted. Isn’t that what boys do during their free time; playing around and staying out? “But if you don’t mind, we could meet up Saturday in front of the National Library”

“Alright, see you then” he smile and got up joining his friend.

Working on the project Saturday wasn’t particularly his plan. Although he knew that you should be working on it as much as possible, he didn’t want to lose such precious moment at the library where you could barely talk. He smirked to himself and set a plan in his head. Now that you could meet up then, he couldn’t stop thinking about it.

“Yah, why are you creepily smiling to yourself?” CNU asked “A date with Naeun?” he wriggled his eyebrows teasing his friend, but Jinyoung ignored him as he continued watching you from afar.


“Soomin-ah, mianhae, I need to go pick up my cousin today…” Eunji apologized.

“It’s alright” you replied “It’s not like I didn’t know my way home” you laughed.

You bid goodbye to your friend and made way to home. Since Eunji wasn’t going with you, a walk could be nice, you thought. Even if this morning was cold, the weather right now was rather refreshing.

As you walked down the road, a pair of hands suddenly covered your eyes.

“Guess who I am” a high-pitched voice sang.

Although the person disguised his voice, you immediately recognized it.

“Yoseob-oppa!” you beamed as your turned back to look at him.

“Aw, that’s no fun. How come you always guess it right?” he pouted.

“Who wouldn’t know it if every time you use that same voice?” you replied, laughing.

He nodded and thought to himself that he should try out something new next time. But his mind was filled with something else too, your laugh. Even if you saw each other almost every day, there was one thing he would never get enough off, you.

“Where’s Eunji?” he asked as he looked around, finding to traces of your friend.

“She went to pick up her little cousin” you sighed “She’s lucky to have a large family here…”

“Well, isn’t yours in Gangnam? You can still see them from time to time”

You nodded and smiled at him. He was right, if you wanted to see your cousins, all you had to do was to take an hour ride trip.

“Ah, I’m going this way” he said as he ruffled you hair “See you tomorrow!”

You waved your hand while looking him going away. Yoseob was walking you halfway home and you were really happy about it since those moments were rare, but something was bothering you; how come nothing twinkled inside? It was like if this was totally normal, just like when you go home with Eunji.

*Why is my heart acting so differently?*