Chapter 5 ~ The Beach

Eclipse

~Samantha Krede~

As the weeks go on, JunHyung seems to get over his little temper tantrum from you collaborating with GDragon. He talks to you again and texts you daily; but now, so does GDragon. You feel comfortable with both. Both are kind and cool tempered as well as funny and playful. You're sure they will make good friends for you.

Apparantally, Cassie, Melanie and Hanna are doing well on their album preparations as well, but yours is ahead so far. You work on the lyrics to your first song. Jared has okayed your work with GDragon through Cube. He said that you will have your own music video for your solo song just as GDragon will; and then both of you will be in a music video together for your duet.

Schedules seem to get busier and busier. You have radio interviews, photoshoots, writing sessions, meetings with Cube, meetings with GDragon, and more. Eclipse is aired on different variety shows and you after it is revealed that you wish to act in a drama at some point, you start to get requests to have parts in different television shows. You've always wanted to act and this seems perfect for you. But for now, you can't fit acting in with an upcoming album. Jared agrees to continue looking for different gigs for after your solo activities. It didn't take long for him to find one that fit you perfectly. It's a drama where you would actually land the lead role. You would be an American girl who is new to Seoul- shocker there- and have to attend a music high school with others. Through bullying and drama like that you make friends with actors YongHwa from CNblue and Lee Hongki from FTisland. JunHyung is especially happy that you will be working with Hongki since the two are close friends. He also said that Hongki will watch out for you for him. Whatever that means. So now you also have to meet with the other actors occassionally and memorize a script for after your album. Basically, you have a very full plate before you.

Beast, too, is busy with preparations for their upcoming full album. Even though this means that they're quite busy, it also means that they are in the Cube building as often as Eclipse is. This gives you and JunHyung more time together, which he is very serious about. He asks to eat lunch with you all the time and he'll even wait in the recording studio as you and Eclipse finish whatever you're working on. You've really come to love his company. He makes you feel comfortable and relaxed as well as happy. You two joke around and talk non stop. You begin to notice his hair growing out instead of the half shaved it had been. Now, it's longer, thicker, and fluffier. Sometimes when you look at him, you would give anything to just run your hands through his hair. You've even come to love his little lips, big tongue, perfect teeth, funny ears, and puffy eyes. Overall, he's turned into a very attractive guy before your eyes. Or... or had he always been this attractive?

One thing that is coming to an end, is the reality show with the camera men. The crew has been with Eclipse for all of May now. For the final episode, Jared says that Eclipse is getting a well-deserved break to a private beach. A treat that seems too good to be true.

Beast had told you about their previous documentary and how their trip to the beach had ended up being something like a military training camp. Your body is tired from practice and long schedules… you are not in the mood for any sort of training camp. However, Jared has you and the other girls pack overnight bags and head down to the van. You put on a Fox cap and tank top with soffee shorts, sunglasses, and crappy tennis shoes. You wear your bikini bathing suit underneath your clothes, but for some reason Jared has told you all that if you only have bikinis, than you cannot take off your shirt or shorts. After some complaining from you and the threat of no beach trip from Jared, you gave in to his rules. Mel pulls her hair back into a messy pony tail and hides her hazel eyes behind dark sunglasses. Her bathing suit bottoms look like a skirt so she doesn’t have to wear shorts over top. She has on a normal, gray tshirt and flip flops. Hanna wears her bathing suit under a cute sundress with flip flops, and has her sunglasses on top of her head. Cassie has her suit on with jean shorts and fashionable cami and designer sandals.
You stand by the back of the van as Jared loads your bags into the trunk. You shift your weight on your feet and stand with your arms crossed over your chest and a skeptical expression. You still don’t buy into the idea of having a vacation in the middle of your schedules. True, your collaboration with GDragon is coming along smoothly and you should debut with him during the next month or two, but you still have a lot to accomplish before then.
To further irritate you, another car pulls up behind the van and the camera crew jumps out. Mel’s jaw drops and her arms fall loosely to her side with the realization that you had been right the whole time. This is more than just a vacation.
“Jared,” she whines, “Why are cameras coming along?”
“Of course cameras are coming,” Jared heaves as he tosses in Mel’s luggage, “Your show is not over.”
“What are we going to be doing at the beach?” you ask.
“Just taking a vacation. Beast will be there too.”
“Beast?” you exclaim as your jaw drops just as Mel’s had.
“That’s right. They’ve been having their television show too. It’s called ‘Cube TV’ because it’s all of the Cube artists. 4Minute has a cameracrew with them in Japan right now too. The video segments just switch between you all. What? Did you think that everyone was just watching you the whole time?"
"...yeah..." Hanna answers with a pouting lip.
"Ha!" Jared mocks, "That would be boring don't you think."
"Guess so." you shrug as you turn to get into the van. You feel better that you'll have Beast there with you. They can't make you all do some sort of training... it would be ten against however many they have.
The ride takes a little over an hour. As a whole, you all are feeling tired and barely talk on the way. You choose a window seat and lean your head against your stuffed animal to sleep. Mel leans over and rests her head on your shoulder, and then Hanna lays in Mel's lap with her feet on Cassie's as she leans against the other window. You all take the opportunity to catch up on sleep.
You awake to the sounds of Mel's excited talking. You pull off your headphones and look around the car as your eyes adjust to the light. It's bright. Really bright. You turn to the window and look out. The coast! Nothing but clear sky and open water. The waves roll in and dissappear into foam on the white beaches just down the side of the road. A smile spreads across your face and you're suddenly not tired at all. You sit up and twist around to join in the shouting of excitement with the rest of Eclipse.
"The beach! It's been so long!" Mel crawls onto your lap and sticks her face against the window. "I can almost taste it..."
"Stop that!" you whine but can't get the happiness out of your voice. "Here," you roll down the window and the warm, salty air rushes in.
"Oh my god i can smell it!" Mel takes in a deep breath and lets it out. She twists in your lap and bounces up and down. "Do you see it, Hanna?" she squeals.
Hanna's leaning across Cassie and looking at the palm trees on the other side of the window. She turns with a big smile on her face and scoots closer to you and Mel. Cassie moves over to join you all and you cram your heads towards the window. You breathe in the sweet and salty air. You haven't seen the beach since New Year's when you left LA to begin work on your debut.
"Oh my gosh..." you say to yourself as you close your eyes and enjoy the moment of freedom and carelessness.
You feel someone squeeze your hand and you turn your head to see Cassie smiling at you. She starts to laugh and you join her as you squeeze her hand back.
Jared rounds a small peninsula where a white light house with a red stripe around the top stands guard. You smile as the van drives by. Suddenly, you are bombarded with memories of your past. Family and friends. The beach. Parties. Guys. You shake your head to get them out and try to concentrate on here and now.
Jared pulls off the road and into a small sandlot parking lot. In front is a single floor house with white wood and overgrown shrubs. A small garden is planted next to the home with a picket fence surrounding it. As soon as the van comes to a stop you all pile over to the other side and bang on the door.
"Let me out, let me out, let me out!" Mel bounces.
Jared pulls open the door and you all spill out of the crowded van. The cameramen race after you as you all rush to the sand. You yank off your tennis shoes as you go and then sprint to the soft sand. You stop on top of a little rise before the beach and look out. The sun is high and there's a light, crisp breeze that gently curves your hair under your chin. You close your eyes and take in a slow and deep breath before letting it all out in a content sigh. You dig your toes deep into the soft, warm sand. Next to you, Cassie digs her feet in as well. You look up to her to see that she's looking out at the ocean as well. When she feels your gaze she turns to you and smirks. Then she looks past you and you turn around to see Hanna and Mel on your other side enjoying the scene.
You face the ocean again and smirk. "Race you!" you exclaim as you leap off the little rise and run towards the water.
You hear their laughs and the sounds of their feet race after you. You all laugh out loud as you reach the water at relatively the same time. The sound of the crashing waves drives you further in until you're up to your shins in the cool water. You gasp and leap around in extra tall steps as you splash around with your friends. Hanna giggles as you playfully splash her with your hands.
Cassie runs up behind you and gives your back a great shove. You scream as you stumble forward and fight to regain your balance. You turn around to see her running away from you already. You laugh and go to chase after her when you hear Jared call to you all from the house.
"Girls!" you all stop and see him standing on the rise with all four suitcases tucked under his arms. He fumbles around with them before shouting down to you. "Why don't you come and help with lunch?"
You look to Cassie and she smiles before shrugging and splashing out of the water. "Coming, Jared!" she yells back in a saracastic voice.
When Jared meant lunch he meant preparing it all. Beast was on their way and Jared thought it would be good to show our appreciation of all their hard work with a nice, personal, home-cooked meal; and honestly, you agree with the idea. You and Cassie work on making noodles as Mel picks some fruits and vegetables from the garden outside. Cameramen circle around the small kitchen as you work. Hanna peels fruit and prepares drinks.
The house is nice. Not big but that doesn't matter. It's actually only a two room house with a kitchen and a gathering room, or family room. A single, low table stands in the middle of the family room. There's a single bathroom with a sink, toilet and shower. The kitchen has a stove and a sink that you all crowd around to make lunch. The far wall in the family room is nothing but glass and faces the ocean. The hardwood floor would be smooth if not for the sand that you girls have already tracked into the house.
"Sauce that comes from a jar can't be good." Mel nags over your shoulder as you stir the store-bought tomato sauce in the pot on the stove.
"Yah, it doesn't matter." you tell her for the third time.
She's just about to go at it again with you when you hear Hanna call from outside. "They're here!" she rushes in and twirls in her light sundress on the wood floor.
"Oh, quick!" Cassie says as she pulls out plates from the cupboards. 
Cassie and Mel rush to set plates around the small table in the middle of the family room as you pull the pasta into a giant bowl and the sauce into another one. You just place the food down in the center just as you hear Beast coming in the front door next to the kitchen. You can hear them before you see them. They're cheering and shouting with eachother. They yell about the weather, water and sand. Amongst all their chaos, you make out one distinct voice that makes you smile and feel even happier, which you didn't think possible.
"I swear this is a trick," JunHyung mumbles as he drags his bag inside, "They'll make us run like last time!" He enters the room with dark sunglasses hiding his eyes and his mouth open in a gaping way. You laugh as he comes in. As soon as he spots the food, his jaw drops even lower. "Is this for us?" he exclaims.
"Yes, we made it!" you smile back.
"We worked so hard!" Hanna jumps up and down.
"Wah, food!" DuJun is first to throw his bag across the room and sit at the head of the table.
Soon all the others follow his suit and join him at the table. They shout back with thanks as they fill their plates. You and Eclipse stand back and smile as they dig in. This actually feels good... to cook a meal for the guys. You have never done this sort of thing before.
"Yah, you should eat too!" DongWoon says as he slides over to make room.
The other guys agree and move together to make enough room for you girls to join the table.
"Ha, thanks!" Cassie laughs as she sits down.
You all take a seat and dig into your own masterpiece. It does taste good!
"Wah, this is as good as a restaraunt!" you exclaim with a full mouth.
"Expensive restaraunt?" Yoseob laughs.
"The best." you smile.
"Should we leave you a tip?" JunHyung asks from next to you.
You turn to look at him. Both of you just chew and smile at eachother for a moment before you speak.
"Yeah, you have to give us a tip." you smirk.
He laughs and nods as he turns back to his plate. "I'll give you an I-O-U."
You laugh and nod back. "Okay." you agree.
In return for the meal, Beast cleans up the dishes. You and Eclipse lay around in the family room and chit chat as they loudly crowd around the sink. Hanna sits in your lap and you hold her around her waist as Cassie tells you all about a story of when she was younger at the beach.
Jared slides the window door to family room open and comes in wearing blue and white striped, knee-length swim trunks, sandals, a blue t shirt, and dark sunglasses.
"Good lord, Jared, why?" you groan as you push Hanna off your lap and turn over to your stomach to bury your face in your arms.
"Don't like my swim wear?" he asks, and you can just imagine his smile.
You shake your head in your arms and moan.
"What are you all doing inside on a beach trip?" Jared changes his tune and makes his voice louder. "This is a beach trip! Let's go to the beach!"
He gets whoops and hollars out of the Beast boys who gladly rush from the kitchen and storm the beach. You sit up and look around at the girls. You're quiet for a moment before you all jump up and run out.
You all make it to the beach and see the guys joking around. JunHyung stands with his toes just at the water's edge as DuJun and Kikwang race out a little further. Dongwoon splashes in and tries to shove YoSeob into the water. HyunSeung slowly walks around the sand and bends down to pick up a sea shell.
DuJun runs out of the water adn makes it to your side. "Yah," he grunts, "Why aren't you going in?"
"I've gone in already," you smirk, "i got here first, remember?"
"Hmph. Wanna make a quick bet?" a smile twists over his lips.
"Hm, what kind of bet?" you smile at his playfullness.
"Bet you i can make it out further and faster than you."
"Interesting." you smile as you bring your finger to your chin and tap it. "So how about whoever goes deeper the quickest wins."
He laughs and nods. "Deal."
He positions himself next to you and you both dig your feet into the sand for a good push off.
"Yah, JunHyung, tell us when to go." DuJun calls.
JunHyung smile and comes over. He raises his hand in the air and locks eyes with you. You smile to him and then turn your direction to the ocean water ahead.
"Ready," JunHyung starts, "Get set... GO!"
You spring forward in one burst and sprint to the beach. You think for a moment that this could be a trick to get you to look like a fool but when DuJun rushes past you, you move on with more speed. YoSeob and Kikwang rush to your sides out of nowhere and laugh as they join the race. You and DuJun are neck and neck as you reach the water. You both splash in and run out deeper. As the water rises, you get slower and have to pick up your feet higher above the water. Finally DuJun resorts to diving in under a wave and you follow his lead. When you come up next you find that you and he are about the same distance out and no longer racing.
"I win!" he pants.
"No!" you shout back over the crashing of the waves. "I won!"
"It was a tie!" YoSeob calls from the beach. He must have not raced all the way to avoid getting soaked.
You laugh and turn to DuJun. You fake a serious expression and smirk. He rolls his eyes and slowly goes back towards shore. You follow along and watch the others on the beach. DuJun goes out first and walks over to JunHyung. The two seem to be whispering to each other, and JunHyung looks to Yoseob with a scheming smile. JunHyung starts to nod and walk forward. He playfully slaps at DuJun's arm and then grabs his hand as he pulls him along. DuJun laughs and waves to HyunSeung to help them out with whatever they're planning. Kikwang goes over to join the group and all four pounce on YoSeob. YoSeob shrieks as JunHyung and Kikwang each take a hand as DuJun and Hyunseung take a leg. Soon, just JunHyung and DuJun hold onto YoSeob as the others gather to watch. You laugh as you walk out of the water and trail behind. DuJun and Junhyung laugh as they haul YoSeob out into the water. Yoseob has given up on fighting and limply hangs in their grasp. His shouts still ring out above the roar of the waves. You can hear DuJun and JunHyung counting out as they swing YoSeob back and forth. "One, two... three!" they toss YoSeob out into the water and he plops down just as a wave comes up and over his head. He stands up quickly and shakes his head like a dog. "Yahhhhh!" he yells as he races after DuJun and JunHyung who have taken off down the beach.
"Joke's on you, i was already wet!" YoSeob calls out to them when he realizes that he can't catch them.
You laugh as you stand there. You take in the sun, the waves, the wind. The sound of your friends playing around. The sight of Jared in swimwear. The cameramen circling around you. You sigh and smile, feeling so unbelievably happy.
JunHyung walks up to you and stands in front of your view. He smiles a crooked smile as he looks down at you.
"What?" you say with pouting lips.
"Look what i found." he smiles as he holds a small crab up to your face. The thing couldn't be bigger than a quarter.
You look down at the small animal and start to laugh. "Very cool." you shake your head.
"Wow, so this doesn't scare you either..." JunHyung's hand drops down to his side in despair.
"Ha, nope, i told you, i'm fearless." you smirk and walk back to the water's edge.
JunHyung follows you down, still examining the crab. "You know," he says, "When me and my family used to come to the beach i would catch these crabs for my grandma to make into a soup. It's really good."
"Wah, really? That's cool." you nod. "So, what's your family like?"
"You know that." he mumbles. "I told you i have a younger brother."
"No, yeah, i know that. But i mean more...in depth." you stand straighter and turn to him. "Like... what's your mom like?"
"She's nice." he nods.
You stand and look at him. Then you nod and turn back to the beach. "Okay." you say.
JunHyung is quiet for a moment and you wonder if he doesn't want to talk about his family. "My mother," he finally speaks up and you raise your head again. "She makes really good home-cooked meals so when i go home i really look forward to that."
"Oh, that sounds good. You must go home a lot then." you comment.
"Not really," he looks up from his crab, "Actually hardly ever. My dog doesn't even recognize me."
"Oh...well then..." you're not sure of what to say next.
"My mother can be... a bit much." you nod along as he talks. "But my father is really cool. And my brother too."
"That's cool."
"Yeah, i was finally able to help them buy a nicer apartment outside of the city. Kind of as a thank you for all their care for me."
"Awe that's nice!" you smile.
He bends down to put the crab back on the beach and you bend down wtih him.
"What about your family?" he asks as you two watch the crab scuttle away.
"Well, my family..." you quickly search your head for the right words and explanations. JunHyung is... special to you, you don't want to lie to him. But can you really tell him all of that right now?
As if saving you, Mel rushes up and takes your hand. "Come on, we're going to build a sandcastle."
"Sandcastle?!" you exclaim sarcastically.
"Yeah!" Mel misses your hint.
You laugh and stand up as she pulls on you. "I haven't built a sandcastle in a long time!" you say more seriously as she leads you away.
You glance back at JunHyung. He stands and watches you leave before Dongwoon and Kikwang run up to him. He laughs and goes off with them. You turn back to Mel and follow her to the others to make a sand castle. You feel a pang of guilt for doing that to JunHyung. It wasn't fair. You are the one that owe's him something now.