Chapter 2 ~ Collaborating

Eclipse

~Samantha Krede~

You wake up to sounds coming around the room. You lay in bed and listen to the movement through the dorm. You have a slight headache and don't want to open your eyes to the bright light that no doubt is streaming in from your bedroom window. You moan and roll over in bed to face the wall.

"Someone go wake Sam up." you hear Cassie shout down the hall.
You groan and pull the covers over your head. On light ballet feet you couldn't even hear Melanie enter the room until she jumps onto your bed.
"Time to get up!" she chimes.
"No." you grunt.
"It's almost eight, Sam! The van will be here at eight thirty!"
"Wake me up at eight fifteen." you whine.
"Hmph. Always the most stubborn to get out of bed." Mel mumbles as she hops off the bed and stomps her way out yours and Cassie's dorm room.
"Most stubborn with anything." you hear Hanna laugh out from the hall.
You moan and try to get back to sleep.

You wake up a little later to even more noise in the apartment. You hear dishes clanking in the kitchen, running water from the bathroom across the hall, and walking around in your bedroom. Someone bumps into the desk just at the foot of your bed and then stumbles to correct whatever was knocked over. You groan and roll over and peek out from the covers.
You open your eyes to find a camera in your face. A man with a dark hat stands by your bed pointing the video camera at you. The little red light blinks at the back signaling that it's recording.
"Argh!" you groan and pull the covers back up to hide.
You hear a snicker and peek out to see Hanna walking in with a big smile on her face. She holds a foamy tooth brush and brings a hand to to avoid spitting on the floor.
"Time to get up!" she chokes with full of tooth paste.
She giggles and puts the tooth brush back in. She scrubs her teeth as she lightly prances over to your bed and yanks your covers back.
"Yah, since when are you so rude, Hanna?!" you tease as you yank them back.
She laughs as she leaves your room and goes back to the bathroom to spit.
You wrap the top spread on your bed around you, not feeling comfortable walking around the dorm in soffees and a tank top when cameramen are around. You glare at him jokingly as you shuffle out of the room and towards the bathroom across the hall. He smiles as you pass but he follows after you. He must be your assigned cameraman for the reality show.

You slide past Hanna as she exits the bathroom. Her long dark hair is left down in its natural wavy, messy fashion. The stylists in Cube will fix you all up once you arrive. The bathroom air is thick and humid. Someone must have showered this morning. You run a brush through your hair. You have pin-straight blonde hair that reaches just about four inches past your shoudler. It's naturally straight and easy to manage. You had side bangs like Mel but at your debut they cut them straight across your eyebrows like Hanna's. You decide you don't need a shower this morning and can get one after you get home.
You bend forward to look at your eyes and then notice your necklace. The heart locket necklace means a lot to you. It's just a simple heart with a lock on it to make it look as if no one can get into it. Cassie had given it to you a couple years back after your bad breakup with your boyfriend. The simple heart hangs on a red ribbon and you try to never take it off.
You pull out masacra and make your short, blonde eye lashes a nice black. Blue green eye liner brings out your ocean blue eyes. You lean on the bathroom counter as you brush your teeth and then straighten up when finished. You turn to see the cameraman still standing there with the camera on you. You roll your eyes playfully and begin to close the door.
"What? Will you follow me all the way in too?" you tease as you shut it.

After you're finished with bathroom stuff you meander back to your dorm room.
"Sam let's go it's eight thirty and the van is waiting!" Mel shouts from the kitchen.
No doubt Cassie had mentioned that you all are going to be late, so Melanie took it upon herself to nag at you.
"Samantha Krede hurry up this instant!" Mel yells.
You rush into the bed room and run to your closet. You glance over your shoulder to see that it is still sprinkling out and you become even happier. You pull out a hoodie and sweats. You turn around and begin to take your shirt off when you notice the camera.
"Yah," you scold as you pull the shirt back down over your bare stomach, "This is going to take some getting used to."
You jump into the closet and shut yourself in. You pull off your shirt and throw on the hoodie and then the same with the sweats. Once you get to Cube they'll give you a new outfit anyways. You pop back out of the closet and grab your lucky backpack from your desk. You don't like to carry purses or any girly stuff like that, but you do have an old backpack that's made out of denim like material. Pins and stickers are scattered all over it as well as doodles by you, Eclipse, family and friends. There's a few holes and rips, but it still works just fine. You throw on some sneakers and hop out of the room. You rush past the cameraman as he scrambles to follow you out.
"Sam, you are the last one ready!" Mel squeals again. But you enter the kitchen quickly to see her hobbling on one foot to put on her other flat.
Cassie stands by the door looking at the time on her phone as Hanna places a bowl in the sink.
"What are you talking about, you're the last one ready!" you scoff as you walk right past everyone and out the door.
You wink at Cassie as you move past and she snickers.
The cameramen talk to each other through their headsets as one follows you and the other two stay in the dorm to wait for the others. You head to the elevator and hit the button. You cross your arms as you wait. You are soon joined by Mel, Cassie, and Hanna. Hanna laughs and stands by your side. She's smiling brightly already. Mel glares at you for making her look silly. Cassie walks past you to hit the elevator button again. As she does, she slips a poptart into your hand. When she turns back around she smiles and give you a wink.
You laugh as you reach behind you and put the pastry into your bag. You've never been a big breakfast eater anyways.
"What are schedules for today?" Hanna asks as you all pile into the elevator.
"Do the cameras have to come in here too?" you mumble.
"Ha, yes, Sam! That's the point." Mel says as she rolls her eyes.
"It's too much weight in this box." you complain.
"I'm sure the elevator has held more."
You sigh and roll your eyes as you tilt your head back. You feel Hanna squeeze your hand and look down at her. She smiles up at you with her big, brown eyes and you laugh at how she could entrance anyone to fall in love with her with just one look.
"Yah, Cassie, Hanna asked a question." you say as you put on your Soul headphones.
"Oh, I'm sorry i was busy on my phone. What did you ask Hanna?" Cassie asks.
"What's our schedule for today?" Hanna smiles not annoyed at all at having to repeat herself.
"Well, we have to go get our styling done, and then we have a photoshoot today. But it's in Cube's photography room so we don't have to go anywhere."
That's easy enough for today. With each Eclipse member working on their own albums this time, you should start getting ideas for a concept. You have to do lyrics, music, composition, collaborations, pictures, the whole gig. You already know that you should make this next album more personal. You have to show off you you really are. Just like the interviewer from the radio said yesterday, the fans don't know a lot about you. They see your hip hop, punk, rebel style on stage and get frightened. But off stage you're not always like that. You decide you may need help. Someone can collaborate with you. Maybe... maybe it can be JunHyung. He has good style, he's a great friend to you, and he's good at singing and composing.

You all pile into the company van, which is even more crowded with the added cameramen and equipment. You're about ten minutes off schedule but it's not too bad. You listen to your music in peace and look out at the rain as the others talk. Mel could talk anyone's ear off and Cassie just so happens to be a great listener. Hanna plays and sings by herself.
The cameraman in the front seat turns around to point the camera at you girls. The two in the back film the streets and around the inside of the car. The one in the front brings his camera across from Cassie to Mel to Hanna and to you. You glance at him and raise an eyebrow. You clutch your lucky backpack a little tighter.
"What do you keep in your bag?" the cameraman asks.
You smile and your eyes widen as you glance at the other girls. They turn to you with smiles and intriguement too.
"The cameraman just talked to me!" you whipser playfully.

The girls and cameracrew laugh.
"Of course," Cassie says, "They are allowed to talk to us. They ask us questions and stuff along the way to keep us talking."
"A show where we don't talk would not be entertaining." Mel states.
You nod and turn back to him. "This is my lucky backpack!" you exclaim excitedly as you hold it up to show off the tears and wear.
"Lucky?" the man asks.
"Yep!" you smile. "I've gone through a lot of stuff in my life and this bag has had my back the whole time... ahahaha!" you start to crack up at your own pun and the car starts to laugh at you. "Why am i so funny, guys?" you laugh jokingly.
"This is a side of Samantha we've never seen before." one of the back cameramen says.
"Don't call me that." you say flatly as you glance backward. "You can call me Sam." you smile sweetly to make up for your bluntness.
Cassie breaks the awkward silence with her fake laughter. You glance at her and she strains her eyes at you, telling you to watch your tongue.

"So tell them what's in it." Hanna speaks up.
You glance down at her and smile. What a sweet little angel sent from Heaven just for you.
"Well," you pull open the top of your bag and reach in, "I have my Soul headphones that i always carry with me" you pull out items and hand them to Hanna as you speak, "my Nook to read, my iPhone for music and communication stuff, a notebook and pens, chewing gum, money, my laptop, and a camera."

"Dont forget this!" Hanna shoots her hand into your bag and pulls out the stuffed animal rag dog from your pack.
"Yah!" you squeal as she pulls it away from you.
"Ohhh what's that?!" Mel plays along as she grabs the toy.
"Orion!" you shout.
The car is quiet for a single second and then erupts with laughter.
"Orion?" the cameraman asks.
"Yes, that's his name." you state as you reach across the car to get Orion back.
"Orion your puppy." Mel says as she hands him back.
"He's not a puppy he's a wolf." you correct her.
"That's Sam's favorite animal." Cassie explains.
"How cute." Mel comments sarcastically.
"Watch yourself, Mel." you shoot her back with a serious expression and she sobers up immediately.
"Intimidating." the cameraman comments.
"Who? Me?" you ask.
The car laughs.
"Are you the most intimidating one?" the cameraman asks again.
"I mean... i guess so." you return as you glance around with a helpless look.
"She's only imtimidating because she's honest." Cassie says with a smile.
"She's just got a strong personality." Mel says more seriously now. "She's strong and independent and confident. That can seem intimidating."
You smile with her words.
"But she's also argumentative, competitive, and stubborn." Mel adds as a side note.
"Awe, you girls are too sweet." you flash them a fake smile and turn back to the window to hide your real laughter.

The van pulls up to the Cube Entertainment building entrance. The building is big with white brick and clear windows. An elegant stair way leads up to the massive building. The van pulls around the water fountain out front to wrap around the driveway. There are ten floors in all, each with different levels for the entertainment industry. The building is tall and square all around but twists up into an odd shape at the top. The first level takes you into the lobby where many fans are often hanging around. There are Cube shops and even their own bars and party rooms. Fans can pay to come into the bars even when the stars are there. Fan signings are often held in the main lobby. On the sides of the lobby are two big staircases that lead up to a balcony above the foyer where you can go into the other stands for concerts.
Other than this, the three levels are tech equipment since the Cube's own personal stage is attached to the back of the building. Once you enter through the lobby, you can walk straight back into the auditorium for Cube concerts that has the three levels worth of seating. The fourth level has many different scenes for music videos and personal rooms for photo shoots. The fifth and sixth levels contain each Cube artist's own dressing rooms and practice rooms. Seven to nine are more tech equipment and recording studios, and on the tenth floor they have their own Radio rooms for their programs.

You and the rest of Eclipse and the camera crew hop out and rush inside to avoid getting your hair wet. The lobby is crowded and loud as usual. Other Cube artists and workers of Cube Entertainment are busy rushing around to meet their own schedules. You all stop as you see Jared hurrying your way.
"Oh, there you girls are!" he exclaims. "You're ten minutes late, as usual." he says as he looks at his watch under his nice business suit. "I have a meeting i'm heading to right now regarding your upcoming solo albums. Make your way to your dressing rooms, the stylists are waiting. Then come back down to four and find Photoshoot Room 5C. You just have to take some pictures for Cube's magazine article on you for this month. Interviews will be taken on the eighth floor regarding your albums for the article at two. I'll bring up some lunch at noon after your photos. Listen well and work hard and we can get out of here early tonight. Then i'd like to meet and talk to each of your regarding your ideas for your albums so be thinking about that as well."
You and Eclipse exchange excited smiles. Mel and Hanna each take one of your hands and squeeze them.
"Okay." Cassie nods and Jared smiles.
"Work hard, girls!" Jared smiles and then rushes off to his own schedule.
Cassie turns to you all and smiles.
"Let's go!" her smile widens to show her true enthusiam as she makes a "fighting" fist.
You all laugh and follow her up to your dressing rooms. Jared was right, the stylists are already there and busy getting everything ready for the photoshoot. You each are pulled off in different directions. Hair, makeup, outfits, you get it all done for you. The ladies chat excitedly to each other and to you as they work. They truly love what they do. They make you even more beautiful than you could have ever imagined. One other thing about Eclipse besides the diversity in ethnicity and age, they also do diversity in looks and style. Cassie is given a classy outfit of nice skinny jeans and a dressy tank top. Her hair is curled and held in place with hairspray. Mel gets a short skirt with a stylish tank top and denim jacket. Her hair is made into neater waves and left down. Hanna gets into a cute sundress with flip flops as her hair is styled half pulled up and half left down. For you, they give green cargo pants with one pant leg rolled up to your shin and Adidas tennis shoes. You wear a blue cami and a black ped hoodie. They straighten your hair even more and bring your hood up and pin it.

The photoshoot doesn't take too long. You each take seperate photos as well as a lot of group ones. You are all rushed in and out of changing rooms and are styled and restyled again. It's all tiring yet fun. You laugh and play along with your three best friends and even chat with the cameramen. You feel more comfortable in front of the cameras already; you can be yourself.

Finally the last photo is taken.
"Alright," the director calls from the computers with the photo sets on it, "That's all we need, thank you very much!"
"Thank you!" Cassie calls back first and then quickly shoots the rest of you a glance.
"Thank you!" "You worked hard!" "Thank you for taking care of us" you three say together and bow with Cassie.
You all make your way back to the elevators and ride up to your dressing rooms.
"That went well." Cassie smiles as you exit the elevator.
"It was fun!" Hanna adds with a giggle.
"I liked my outfits a lot." Mel nods.
"Yeah, it was fun." you add as you open the door to the dressing room.
"Heyyy!" voices call out as you four enter.
Beast stands along the far wall of the dressing room and hold up their hands as you enter. They cheer as you come in.
"What are you guys doing here?" Cassie laughs.
"We brought you all lunch!" HyunSeung spreads his hands out to show off the food laid out on the table in front of the couches.
"I thought Jared was going to bring lunch." you smile as you walk forward to the food.
"We already told him." KiKwang smiles.
"We wanted to join you all and congratulate you." Dongwoon adds.
"I thought we celebrated last night!" Mel laughs as she takes a seat by the table.
The rest of you gather around and begin to pass out the chopsticks.
"So much love!" Hanna giggles as she reaches for some rice.
You sit on the couch and lean forward to get some noodles. JunHyung plops down next to you and helps himself. The rest of Beast and Eclipse gather around the table and just take what they want without plates.
"Who eats the most in Eclipse?" a cameraman asks.
You all chuckle with full mouths.
"Mel." you cough out as you reach for some meat.
Everyone laughs and nods along.
"But it's funny," you continue as you look up to the camera, "She's a vegetarian and still eats more than me!"
You all laugh more but concentrate on eating instead. You look over to JunHyung who reaches for more meat and then looks to you with a full mouth. His eyes widen when he sees your full mouth as well. Both of you stare at eachother with wide eyes for a moment before spontaniously bursting into laughter. He playfully nudges you with his elbow and shakes his head at the unknown joke you both have found funny.
"Yah," he grunts, "have you put any thought into your solo album?"
"Hmm," you wait to chew your food more before answering, "A little. I'm thinking i want to bring in well known artists to collaborate with to boost my popularity. I just have to find out who's styles and sounds would be a good match for mine, and then of course if they want to work with me."
"I'm sure anyone would want to work with you." JunHyung says cooly as he reaches for more food.
"Well you never know. Though Eclipse has gathered a lot of attention from fans, there are also a lot of anti-fans as well. Trust me, I read the articles all the time."
"You shouldn't read those. Don't even look at them, they're not important and they're almost always jumping to conclusions."
"Even then, they help to show you what the public thinks of you." you counter.
"Eh." he grunts.
You and JunHyung often have little arguments like this. Nothing huge or important, just talking and stating your opinions on matters; being honest and comfortable... being friends. Beast says he nags a lot, but you haven't really noticed him do it too much to you. After all, Mel just about nags enough for both groups.
"Anyways," JunHyung continues, "What type of theme are you thinking about for it?"
"I'm not sure yet. Maybe... maybe something more personal to me. Usually Cassie and i write about shared experiences: family, pre debut, etc. But i was thinking maybe i should make this one just about me and my experiences."
"That sounds like a great idea!" JunHyung is starting to sound like an experienced composer. He's really turning into a sunbae. "Make it personal. Fans love that. Deep lyrics, tell about your past. Struggles, triumphs, defeats... love. That sort of thing."
"Yeah, maybe i will."
He nods. "I'd write songs about me."
"Don't you write lyrics for Beast?" you ask as you turn to him.
"Yep, but the others are also involved. If i were to work on my own music, i'd write just about me; how i feel, what i think, maybe about my thoughts about a girl. Or even find a song that says what i want to say. Oh that reminds me, i'll be on a radio program in a couple days. Friday i think... around noon. I want you to listen in if you can."
"Oh really? Okay." you nod and think nothing more of it.

The rest of lunch goes well. Beast and Eclipse chatter away friendly and then work together to clean up the mess.
"Thank you for lunch!" Cassie leads you in showing appreciation.
"Thank you for sharing with us." Beast answers as they bow.
JunHyung smiles at you as he walks past and you smile back. Such a great guy. He really seems to know music well. You wonder again if he would be the right choice to collaborate with.

Jared meets you all in the dressing room and hurries you up to the radio rooms. The interviews seem just like all the others. This time, more questions are about what your solo activities will be like. You start to feel pressure for finding out just what you want to do with your own album.

That night, as you sit in your bed, you take out your notebook and begin to scribble some lyrics.