Chapter 7

Totally Captivated

 

'Have you ever been in love before?
Falling at first sight, like in the movies?
Spent the entire night talking on the phone?
Bragged to the entire world?
Waited in the pouring rain?
Run like crazy to the one you love?
Secretly guarded?
Gone crazy?
Pretended not to see when you really did?'

Love Love Love - Epik High

 

 

Since yesterday, Minho hasn’t been able to stop his mind from replaying the images of Taemin playing piano and dancing fluidly, to the point he falls asleep with a scene of his fiancée flashing before the moment his consciousness finally drifts off. The next morning he wakes up, eyes cracking open effortlessly when the brightness of the sun hits him through the panes of window in his room. Minho groans and gets up. He swears he almost hears a sound of bones cracking when he tries to straighten up his spine. Perhaps the sleeping position last night was too stiff, Minho thinks. Every time, he’s too tired, or stressed, or thinking too much, it always happens.

Maybe the after-effect of Taemin dancing is counted into the third option.

Minho shakes the thought off and rises up from the bed then he proceeds to prepare for school today. He saunters towards the dining room and meets with Taemin who’s sitting calmly and munching his breakfast. Noticing that the older man is already nearby, his small face lifts up and smiles brightly, a simple morning greeting slipping out from his lips. Minho stares at the young boy and soon the same images of Taemin yesterday are playing again in his memories.

So smooth.. So beautiful..

So captivating..

He finds himself, his voice, replying at the pale beauty a bit too gently.

“ Morning.”

His voice is already originally deep and intoxicating, then if he adds gentleness into it lacing every single word he mutters, imagine how it sounds. Because after that, Taemin looks like he’s choking on his food, eyes going as big as his classmate named Kyungsoo, and later a clear pink tint spreads across his cheeks. His blood is coursing excitedly in his veins and his heart is thumping twice quicker if Taemin has to put what he’s experiencing now into an allusion. He nods at the jock, stuttering an adorable, “ I’ve prepared your breakfast..”

“ Thanks,” Minho’s voice is back to normal, and Taemin feels completely relieved, because if he continued, Taemin’s heart would be unable to take it anymore. Taemin watches the tallest between them eating his food, and he feels really happy when it looks like Minho’s really enjoying his cooking.

“ Your parents will be back tomorrow, so I hope you can eat my cooking well for now because I can’t do as good as your mom does,” Taemin shyly chuckles, feeling nervous. Minho’s gaze shifts to the food and a frown springs up.

“ Does it even matter?” Minho mumbles, “ You cook really well.”

Even a simple moment comes from Minho can make the insides of Taemin’s stomach flip like a giddy high school girl.

You really like him, don’t you?

And Taemin blushes at his inner voice and denies it hurriedly – yes, he likes Minho so much, but maybe this is because it’s quite rare for Minho to say something really gently to him, it makes Taemin feel multiple times happier.

Yes – it must be like that.

“ Oh, Taemin,” Minho, who has finished his breakfast, speaks, “ How about continuing our project today after school? I don’t have any practice for today, or do you?”

“ No..” Taemin blinks, “ I don’t think I have something to do today, so it’s okay. I haven’t answered Yunho Hyung’s offer about joining the dance club.”

“ It’s settled, then,” Minho gets up, looking at the younger, “ I’m going first, Taemin-ah.”

Taemin nods, and he watches as Minho’s figure finally disappears behind the door.

The only thing accompanies him now is silence lingering in the air, and Taemin’s lips stop moving and detaches from the food, his eyes never leaving the door which Minho walked past.

At least I have heard his gentle voice at me.

Not just.. the same flat tone, or cold voice..

Taemin quietly finishes his breakfast and walks towards the sink, washing the dirty utensils, then after that it’s his turn going to school. He locks the other door, different from what Minho used earlier, and leaves home straightly.

The same loneliness never fades off every time he walks from Minho’s house. It’s not like he wants to be selfish, but sometimes this part of him is longing for that time when they could walk to school and return home safely, together. He doesn’t hope it’d be hand in hand because it’ll never happen, at least before he goes from Minho’s life and breaks this engagement, he wants to walk together, even just for once, and uses the same door to enter the house. He wonders how it feels. He wonders if he’d blush and act like a stupid girl talking with her crush. He just wants to experience it.

But it will never come true, and Taemin only dares to imagine it, not demanding it in real life.

He understands Minho’s part and confusion, that’s why he doesn’t want to be his burden. It’s already hard to live with your fiancée of which the gender is same as yours (and he’s not gay), and look at him straight. Minho is already able to do that, and Taemin feels really grateful compared to the cold shoulders Minho once gave to him. It’s really wonderful to be able looking at someone Taemin likes closely, so Taemin doesn’t wish to ask for more.

Even though it won’t be hurt if he just imagines it, right?

 

 

What the hell?

“ A lot of people congratulate us for coming out as the winner,” Kai laughs, sitting across Taemin excitedly in their classroom, “ Yesterday felt like a dream, right?”

Taemin giggles softly. “ Yes, the euphoria was unexplainable. I almost could not think anything properly – I’m glad people were enjoying it.”

Kai frowns and points at the ageless beauty in front of him. “ You should be more aware that now more people are hitting on you.”

“ Ah,” a blush tints Taemin’s apple cheeks, “ No way.”

“ It is the truth.”

“ Why?” Taemin snorts, “ I’m not really good-looking – so it’s obvious already!”

Kai is caught dumbstruck since hearing Taemin denying everything (or not realizing it), finally snapped out from his trance. “ You can’t just see it!”

“ Kai, you’re really twisted, oh my God!” Taemin laughs, shaking his head unbelievingly.

Whilst on the other hand, contrary to him, everyone is eyeing back at him with face-palmed expression. Only Taemin who can’t see it that more boys are drooling over him and more girls are fancying his cuteness.

 

How in the world –

Minho, still on his seat, glanced at them not appreciating the mood created around the good friends ever since he noticed Taemin’s eyes are beaming in excitement when he talks comfortably with that Kim Kai. Minho glares, recalling when on the other day, in the middle of their dance practice, Taemin could laugh out loud like that with Kai, but he always seems holding back himself and looking all awkward, completely the contrast.

Doesn’t Kai like Taemin? So why doesn’t Taemin feel bothered about it and keeps on chatting happily? How about Kai’s feelings?

It makes Minho curious a little – or maybe slightly bigger – and grits his teeth because he knows he can’t stick his nose in other person’ business. It’s not like there’s something more between him and Taemin.

Even we’re engaged..

Minho tosses his head to the other side and decides to just watch the bright sky instead through the window.

Once, he wondered how Taemin would affect him and walk into his life.

Slowly, he does, bits by bits, little by little, slowly.

Somehow, Minho always ends up watching the younger boy move, act, and speak. He gets so curious when Taemin’s expression falls because of something, and worked up mentally when Taemin can laugh with someone else but slightly disappointed when Taemin carefully speaks to him.

It makes Minho want to see how far this boy can do something like this to him.

When was the last time I felt this?

A small cluster of birds is flying across the blue sky as a small part of his old memories back in his mind is restoring again.

“ When we’re together, can I define it as a happiness, Minho?

That time, he was curious how far this so-called-happiness would bring him to.

But it ended when he had started to get so keen on that relationship.

So now..

If it’s him..

How far.. and where.. can he lead me to?

From the reflection, Minho can see some boys are practically looking at Taemin in awe, nearly spazzing the boy’s fluffiness. It irks him, somehow, so he looks at them disgustedly, not making happy at all.

Only you who could see his beauty but not really see it, and now when everyone has realized it, you begin not appreciating that fact.

“ Shut up..” under his breath, Minho roars silently at something voicing in his mind.

 

 

“ We should be able to find at least one or two beautiful objects,” Minho suggests, “ The slot time given is only a couple days left.”

“ Yeah,” Taemin places his hand on the cold surface of the side of the pond at the city park. He wiggles his eyebrows as his gaze sweep all over the park. “ Maybe I can get some inspiration.”

Taemin is the first who starts sightseeing and finds himself amused at some scenes, like a little boy who cries so bad and then a girl who seems like on the same age with him tries to stop his cry, also a couple having a small fight makes Taemin feel worried. He halts his steps and watches them from afar, wondering if they would make up soon. The girl starts crying, and the boy who sees tears pouring down like droplets widens his eyes in shock then hurriedly embraces his girlfriend, mouthing a small sorry and other things to calm her. The girl sniffles, blinking her tears and nodding a little, and then she snuggles closer to his wide shoulder, as if she wanted to enjoy every small moment after their small fight.

Taemin, who has been witnessing the scene, bites his lower lip in relief. It’s great that they finally make up, Taemin thinks. He smiles at the heartwarming scene and his heartbeat pounds much softer, following the smooth and loving atmosphere between the couple, as if he’s also the part of their scene.

It’s beautiful.

Taemin carefully takes out his camera and snaps a picture of it, whilst the smile never leaves from his face.

 “ Why are you smiling to yourself like that?” the deep voice makes Taemin jolt in surprise and he turns around to see Minho towering behind him already. Taemin grins meekly, pointing at the couple. “ They had a fight earlier but they’ve made up. I thought it was beautiful.. so I took a picture.”

“ Beautiful?” Minho raises his brow, “ From which aspect you define ‘beautiful’ then?”

“ I don’t know..” Taemin peers at the couple, chuckling. “ They look so happy together.”

“ Then..” Minho crosses his arms over his chest, “ How do you define ‘happiness’?”

Taemin’s brows furrow altogether. “ Why are you asking like that?” he contemplates for a second. “ I don’t know, but maybe..” Taemin smiles again, but this time it looks multiple times much brighter, but at the same time it’s so warm, calming, and gentle. “ You can be happier because important people around you are happy too..” he explains, “ and also about happiness, I think it’s quite similar to a true beauty – it calms your heart, it makes you feel so light and at ease and brightens anyone who really feels it.”

After coming up with that kind of answer, Taemin receives no response from the other boy, so he peeks carefully from the corner of his eyes. He’s confused when suddenly Minho is looking at him with an unexplainable gaze that pierces every single part in Taemin – it’s something like he’s in a daze, or maybe actually Minho is stupefied now.

“ Then..” When a voice finally escapes from Minho’s chapped lips, “ How do you.. seek happiness?”

Taemin, honestly, is quite surprised at the unexpected question. He frowns and thinks deeply, before finally answering, “ Doesn’t happiness always come on its right time? I don’t think how.. I just live my life fully, with no regret.. and I want to make people around me happy and feel comfortable too, because it feels wonderful if they can smile brightly, I guess.”

Maybe, maybe, it’s the first time for Minho to feel this astonished and also, somehow, his mind is blank.

Not noticing anything happen to Minho, Taemin quickly spots a nice place to get a different view near the pond and coos, “ I think I will go there to see if I can find something.” He strides past Minho, who hasn’t moved even a mere inch. As Taemin passed him, he could sniff a relaxing smell coming from the younger boy – is he eating flowers? Because it smells so nice, that it regains his sense back. Minho turns around and watches Taemin pacing up.

Then when a small boy with his back facing Taemin’s side is stepping backwards fast - almost like running - comes into Minho’s sight, he feels something off. Taemin is close to the pond, and the boy rapidly quickens his pace. Both of them haven’t noticed that they are already within a couple steps distance – and soon, they can bump into each other.

Apparently, it really happens – Minho was close to yell Taemin’s name so he could realize that the small boy would bump into him – but he fails because when their bodies finally make a rough friction, Taemin loses his balance, and the boy stumbles – they’re close to fall into the pond and it’s possible that they’d hit the base of the pond hard because it’s really narrow. Only that time, when their feet finally slip off the ground and falter, Minho can let out his voice to scream.

“ Taemin!”

Hearing that, Taemin quickly realizes what’s happening and in the matter of time, he wraps one hand around the kid and his other hand tries to find anything that can support both of them from falling into the pond.

“ Ah..” Taemin pants, feeling really surprised himself, “ Thank God we didn’t..” It was a close call, and Taemin managed to find a support on the side of the pond, yet half of their bodies already sprawl across the ground. The boy in his arm trembles so bad, nearly crying because he’s really shocked. Taemin instinctively pulls the boy into his arms, hugging him tight and whispering. “ It’s okay.. We didn’t fall at the end, did we? You’re safe now, but be careful next time, sweetie, alright? Ssh, don’t cry.. Everything is fine..”

Minho can’t describe how shocked and worried he is now and he approaches the young boy right after the incident, but when Taemin hugs the little boy tightly, Minho remembers how those frail arms protected the boy securely.

And how he’s trying now to soothe the crying little boy too.

Always.. he puts other person first before his own sake..

Minho watches them from half of his way towards Taemin. The voice when it explained about happiness echoes throughout his mind over and over.

“ I want to make people around me happy and feel comfortable too, because it feels wonderful if they can smile brightly.”

Somehow..

It indeed calms myself, just by seeing him and his small efforts to beatify people around him..

“ It calms your heart, makes you feel so light and at ease.”

If that’s also a something beautiful, then..

Minho grabs his camera, capturing the scene in front of him. He lowers the camera slowly to see both of them again as a train of thoughts is running in his mind.

Kindness.. and gentleness..

Aren’t they.. what you can call them ‘beautiful’ too?

 

Kindness in women, not their beauteous looks, shall win my love." - William Shakespeare

 

Taemin helps the boy to get up after he finally stops crying and leans in whilst rubbing off the dust on their clothes. “ Good boy,” Taemin croons and pats his head tenderly. “ You should go home now. Maybe your mom is already looking for you.” The boy nods between the low sniffles and mutters, “ Thank you for protecting me..” then to Taemin’s surprise, he loops his small arms around Taemin’s neck as his gratitude and runs quickly, leaving the bewildered Taemin. After blinking three times, Taemin laughs softly and unbends his back, watching as the boy slowly disappears from his sight.

It’s just when suddenly, he feels a hot breath hovering above the back of his neck, and something is rested against the crown of his head. Taemin stiffens because of the sudden contact, and blushes after he realizes that, Minho’s really close behind him.

“ H-hyung?”

“ I was really scared, you know..” Minho mumbles, “ Thank God everything is okay..”

Taemin’s eyes widen.

He’s worried of me..

That almost makes his eyes get teary so he decides to shut them, preventing any tears fall down in any second.

He can’t lie about this any longer, but maybe he really likes Minho so much.

And even, something like this can make him feel unbearably happy and moved.

“ I’m sorry.. for making you worried” He has to keep his voice low from sounding shaky – he hopes that Minho doesn’t notice that he’s really that close to cry because it’ll be so embarrassing. He doesn’t open his eyes yet. He wants to feel how that warm yet heavy breath scrapes his skin.

This very moment – the first time Taemin thinks that it’s better than walking home together just like his dream.

 

 

They walk home in silence, with Taemin lowering his head like a puppy and often staring at his feet. His cheeks still feel hot because of what happened earlier. He scolds himself for easily becoming like a girl, but he can’t help it.

Taemin peeks through his long fringes and the first thing greets him is Minho’s broad back.

It reminds himself how he really adores it, because it looks so strong and tough, completely fits Minho’s quiet personality.

“ Are you sure that you didn’t injure yourself?”

Taemin bats his long eyelashes and replies in a small voice, “ Yes, Hyung.. I’m okay..”

“ Good then.”

Taemin curls his fingers afterwards, clasping them loosely.

He never thought that Minho would be this worried of him, honestly.

‘And it’s not like I didn’t appreciate it,’ Taemin mentally speaks. In fact, he can’t describe how grateful and overwhelming he is now.

But then his self-excitement is snapped right when Minho abruptly stops his walk and Taemin bumps into Minho’s back. He rubs his nose and winces, not believing how foolish he is today now for bumping twice in one hour.

Why did he suddenly stop-

“ Minho!”

Taemin raises his brows high – it doesn’t sound familiar.

Top of all, it’s a girl’s voice..

He peers over the Minho’s shoulder to see the owner of that voice. There he finds a very gorgeous girl standing near Minho’s house, a smile beaming at him beautifully.

 “ Dara..”

After Taemin hears the way Minho spells the girl’s name, he realizes something is not right. He glances nervously in confusion, only to catch Minho’s expression dropping in shock.

Taemin has never seen this kind of face on Minho until just now – and soon, he knows that, there’s something between them. It can’t be only just friends – because the cold and quiet side of Choi Minho is toppling the moment they meet with this girl, and it’s the first time Taemin is seeing this.

So who’s this girl?

 

 

a/n: 

1) i decided to use Sandara Park of 2NE1 because actually there's this kind of pairing.. but i always ship 2min :D she fits the role so well because i'm going to describe her as the one who desperately seeked a happiness in Minho's past. I wasn't planning to use Yuri or Krystal in the first place because it'd sound so cliche and they also don't really fit the role i'm planning on :D

2) this chapter is not my best, i'm not really satisfied with how this turns out, but oh well :x i need to work on my other HunHan oneshot of 'The Youth Yearns for Love' so yeah >____>

3) I guess this will be a quite long series, not going as planned to make this shorter -____- how do you think, guys?

$) Happy reading <3