Chapter 11

Totally Captivated

 

You and the end of summer and the dreams of the future 
And our big hope, I won't forget them. 
I believe that we will meet  
In August 10 years later. 
The best memories...

Our meeting was made in a moment at the intersection walking home. 
You called out to me, didn't you? "Let's go home together." 
While I embarrassedly hid my face with my bag, 
In truth, I was very, very happy.

Ah, the way the fireworks beautifully bloom in the sky is a bit lonely. 
Ah, the wind flows along with time

So happy, having so much fun, we had so many adventures 
Inside the secret base that belonged to the two of us.

Secret Base (short ver) - Zone

 

With a smug, silly grin but with a hint of embarrassment, Taemin scratches his head awkwardly while holding his backpack hanging loosely on one shoulder. Kai, who stands still beside him with the same stupid smile, only glances over at the other boy.

“ It’s a good thing I didn’t get detention but just have to clean the swimming pool,” Kai grins widely, “ All thanks to you.”

Taemin rolls his eyes, pointing out along with a sharp playful glare. “ What have I done? I was coming to school really late too and it was just too coincidental that we met in the halfway!”

“ I’ve been late for three days straight for pete’s sake,” Kai groans, “ My parents are in overseas right now and usually it’s my mom who wakes me up. I am never good at self-waking with an alarm.”

“ In my case, Minho hyung was also about to late too so he rushed himself thinking that everyone had sent off to their respective destinations including me because it was too quiet,” Taemin frowns, “ I think Auntie and Uncle Choi needed to attend a very important meeting so they went early.”

“ Guess that all of us are having a bad luck, maybe?” Kai laughs, “ I was about to get detention but since you came with me and the teacher thought since you, one of the most favorite students here, were together with me, they loosen my punishment so we just need to clean up a bit.”

“ But,” Taemin juts out his lower lip, sighing for the first time in the morning, fumbling with his uniform, “ It’s not a good punishment either, Kai, please.

“ Oh come on,” Kai dramatically raises his brow, “ It’s better because you have another friend to join with you in this punishment. It won’t be bad at all. You got a company here, and I also feel grateful too. Maybe it won’t get boring even slightest a bit.”

Right when they set their feet at the place where they will begin to carry out their punishment of being late, Taemin’s eyes wander all over the corners seen and reflexively drops his jaw. Kai is right. This punishment is better to be done by more than one person because if he were alone, he would find himself bored and dying to the highest peak possible. Kai then throws a mop for Taemin and keeps one for him, eyeing the dusty cement floors. “ Shall we start from wiping this part?”

Then one hour after squeezing out their strengths in cleaning the place, Taemin instantly writes a mental note to get a long yet proper sleep later because he gets so god damn exhausted.

“ I hate cleaning stuffs.”

“ You don’t. I bet your room is neat.”

“ I like cleanness, but I’ll start hating on cleaning a wide place like this,” Taemin sighs, “ Ever corner to get done and cleaned thoroughly like they can go sparkly or something.”

“ Simply a proof of never waking up late in weekdays.”

Taemin agrees quietly and drags his feet to somewhere close to a fishpond not too far from the swimming pool. Taemin frowns and shouts to get Kai’s attention. “ I never knew that this school has a fishpond!”

Kai walks over and scans the pond. “ Well maybe you didn’t know it because you just transferred to this school around one month and two weeks.. or three..” he squats down, “ I think this is the famous fishpond? I never checked this before too.”

“ Famous?” Taemin’s eyes light up and crawls, looking interested to hear the rest of the explanation. Kai barely lets out a small gasp of holding back his chuckle. “It’s the centerpiece here,” Kai says, “ Because it has fireflies.”

“ Fireflies..” Taemin mumbles and immediately looks into the depth of the pond, furrowing. “ I can’t see anything.”

“ Of course,” Kai laughs, “ It’s very hard to see them when the sun is out. Some people in.. the soccer or softball club? Can’t remember who – oh well, they were gathering some fireflies to put them together here. Fireflies are very sensitive to water quality, so they put a good amount of 10 grams of rich mineral rock underwater to keep them secure. They’ve become some cool adult fireflies in sight, I remember someone talk about this before.”

“ I see,” Taemin smiles, supporting his chin with his free hand. “ I want to see them at night.”

“ You should,” Kai cajoles. “ My friend told me it’d be awesome.”

“ Okay then,” Taemin nods, standing up after wrapping up the explanation in the midst of their short break. “ I think we can continue this after the third period then we go home at 6PM? Will it be good?”

“ Sure,” Kai follows Taemin’s light steps, handing over a bottle of mineral water. “ Whatever you want. Take this, your lips look dry so drink.”

 

Minho doesn’t want to admit this – but he has been feeling confused and worried to be honest, the moment he stepped in the class and found Taemin was nowhere to be found. He tried to text Taemin but he hasn’t got any reply. He is clearly sure that when he left the house, it was already quiet and empty – or did I check the whole thing? I wasn’t thinking properly since I was about to late.

Then, after the first period and it’s the lunchtime, Minho hears a chatter coming from familiar voice. He looks at the source and sees a certain pale-skinned boy walk in with small laugh, and he spots Kai walking beside him. Minho frowns deeply – come to think of it; Kai didn’t come to the first period too.

“ So I was thinking – ah, good morning Minho Hyung,” An adorable thin line on his lips frames Taemin’s face as he greets the older man warmly. Minho observes him quietly, and Taemin somehow feels awkward – confused and embarrassed – when Minho watches him like that.

“ Where were you on first period?”

Taemin, who is unable to tear his eyes off of the older boy, gulps. “ Uh so apparently I woke up at 8 and it was already really late but I still came to school then Kai also got late too then we both have to clean the swimming pool – it hasn’t been done all yet but we are planning to continue it after third period..” Taemin nervously mumbles but keeps his voice loud enough, because for some reasons Minho looks a little bit intimidating and he doesn’t know what to do. “ I just..”

“ Okay.” Then Minho’s voice becomes gentler again, much to Taemin’s surprise. The young boy peeks up through his bangs, blinking when Minho sighs and looks at him understandingly, whispering. “ Was partially my fault, maybe? I thought everyone had gone already so I didn’t check the rest.”

“ Ah – “ Taemin hurriedly shakes his head, “ It’s okay! It’s really my fault, I should have not stayed up that late but I guess the excitement after playing at amusement park still rubbed off on me so..”

Kai glances at the auburn-haired boy. Even though Taemin is saying it quietly and the voice is slowly going off, Kai doesn’t miss it. They went to amusement park?

“ Alright,” Minho nods, still in whisper, “ I also have to make this as a reminder to make sure that you are already up too so you won’t miss going to school. I feel guilty too.” Then he pulls back after done with all leaning in and whispering, still thinking that Kai has no idea about them staying together.

But Kai just stands there; intently glaring at both of them, not liking the idea that, Minho has seemed to grow closer to Taemin yet the latter doesn’t know anything.

It irritates me.. somehow..

Noticing the glare Kai is throwing to him, Minho squints his eyes a little and ignores him. A small part of him tells based on instinct that he dislikes Kim Kai.

He doesn’t voice out about it, though.

“ Listen, Hyung,” Taemin tiptoes so he can say something to Minho with a lower voice, still making sure that no one has to eavesdrop about them living together. Even Kai already knows about it, but Minho thinks that their secret is still well kept. “             I think I won’t make it in time to come home because the cleaning hasn’t done yet – it’s my and Kai’s punishment – and I don’t think we can finish it quickly because the pool looks a bit gross..”

“ Okay,” Minho nods and peers up to see the other man, who has been jabbing him by that sharp glare, behind Taemin, “ Just try to make it quick before dinner.. I guess.”

 

The third period is wrapped up with the teacher’s reminder of their upcoming test by two weeks more and the whole class howls unhappily, except Taemin, who is nervously looking at his watch and exchanging glances with Kai, and Minho, since he’s a type of person that doesn’t really care of it so much.

After the teacher dismisses the class, almost all students rush past quickly, even Taemin and Kai. They are eagerly determined to finish the punishment quickly, not to spin out time. Minho watches them walking out and sighs after Taemin is nowhere he can spot. The jock leans against his chair, wondering if he should go home straight or do the homework in the library for a while since usually he doesn’t do productive stuffs once he gets home and options to sleep instead.

Then his train of thoughts is snapped when he sees a familiar person standing near the school gate.

Minho nearly goggles his eyes out of the sockets. “ Dara..?”

The said woman is standing patiently while observing the well-spread students busy with their own activities and Minho can’t help gulping at the sight. He can’t possibly meet Dara now. He is not prepared yet.

He needs more time to think how to reply Dara – do I still have feelings towards her?

Does she really need me this time?

How about the engagement?

Never Minho would expect that he would consider about his engagement too, when in the past he would have tried to ignore the whole idea of it.

Not now.

I haven’t fully decided yet –

And Minho, then, sprints off to the library, decided to stay quietly there while watching until Dara leaves the school, hoping that as he is working on his homework, the girl won’t take much time waiting for him.

After I told Taemin to get home as soon as possible, now I can’t go either..

 

Kai groans after he is done answering his mother’s call, making the strawberry-auburn boy look up and blink confusedly. “ Something wrong, Kai?”

“ Ugh, it’s just, I only have about thirty minutes because my parents are home already and Mom hasn’t gone out for groceries. She’s sick and asks me if I can go for her instead. I don’t really mind, honestly, but..” Kai scans the swimming pool, their on-the-way work, and Taemin. “ How about you and this?”

Taemin laughs. “ It’s okay, really. We are almost done, almost right there. I think thirty minutes remaining time is okay, we already work too hard.”

“ Right..” Kai sighs, “ And I wish I could send you home since it’s getting pretty late. It’s 6 PM already.”

“ Nah, it’s fine.” Taemin coos him with a wide smile, “ You should be thankful that you don’t have to bear the punishment alone so this can be done quickly. Come on, don’t waste much time!” Hearing Taemin’s soothing answer, Kai only exhales his breath in surrender and sends him a little smile, muttering a small ‘thank you’. The smaller boy chortles and gives him a thumb, telling that it’s not a big deal, and then they proceed to continue their work.

Thirty minutes later, they can pretty much catch up with the remaining task and the swimming pool also the rest of things they have to clean are all sparkly and look nice. Taemin wipes his tears and grins while Kai is clapping at their own so-called-masterpiece-of-cleaning. “ Yes, finally.” Kai sighs. “ I have to go home now – really, I am sorry Taemin that I can’t accompany you for so long.”

“ Oh my God,” Taemin playfully rolls his eyes, “ For God’s sake, I am eighteen years old boy, Kim Kai. Now get your off and do as what your mom told you! I’m alright, really.”

“ Okay then..” Kai takes a long breath and points at him, “ Just remind me that next time I have to treat you an ice cream.”

A chirpy laugh follows. “ Sounds fair to me.” Kai smiles and mumbles “ See you tomorrow” before he hurriedly rushes off. Taemin collects the purifier and some other tools to a small warehouse before he walks to his locker and fetch a dry t-shirt. His eyes are wandering to all rooms he passes by, including the roomy library, until he spots the tall handsome boy sitting absentmindedly near a window.

Why is Minho Hyung here?

Out of curiosity, Taemin carefully approaches the older man and taps his shoulder, making sure that he doesn’t overdo it that can make Minho surprised. The said man turns over and his mouth makes an O shape at the person in front of him. “ Done already?”

“ Yeah..” Taemin tilts, “ Why are you here, Hyung?”

“ Ah..” Minho’s gaze shifts towards a person standing to the gate. It answers Taemin’s curiosity and his heart almost sinks when he recognizes that person is Dara. “ You are not going to meet her?”

“ I am avoiding her,” Minho simply replies. His shady gaze falls and Taemin feels that Minho is not lying.

Somehow, Taemin can understand Minho’s feelings now.

It’s hard when someone from your past suddenly showed up and told you that she wants to be together with you again, when actually you are already over her and you just have to forget the hurt and confusion.

The story between them is not simple, I can pretty much tell it.

But, Minho Hyung..

Is it really hard?

Are you suffering because you can’t decide what to do now?

Taemin bites his lower lip. He feels upset and useless – wondering if he had known Minho from a long time ago, he would have snuck between them and found the way to halve Minho’s hurt so he would not have to bear it all by himself.

Why did she leave you?

Why has she been searching for the true happiness?

Wasn’t she happy being with you?

And all questions pop in Taemin’s mind as he recalls when he accidentally eavesdropped their conversation last time.

If I had been her, I would have never disappointed you.

I would have always tried my best to see your smile.

Even if..

Suddenly an idea clicks on his mind and Taemin lightly gasps, reflexively tugs at Minho’s wrist. “ Hyung, do you have time?”

“ Yeah..?”

“ Good,” Taemin smiles, “ While we are waiting her to leave, I want to show you something.”

It’s 6.30 PM and dark already on the outside.

“ Okay – “ the confused tall man can’t refuse the eager boy who’s pulling him like a little kid. Minho lets Taemin lead him to wherever this pale boy wants to show him. They walk past the swimming pool and step over a medium-sized rock, only to stop near a fishpond.

“ Uh, Tae..” Minho awkwardly scratches his head, “ You wanted to show me a fishpond?”

“ Actually, wait for a sec..” Taemin plops down, followed by Minho, then grins wider and wider when the objects begin to show up one by one, surprising the taller man behind him. They can’t stop their mouths from hanging open, as the fireflies are floating around ever so beautifully.

“ Whoa..”

“ Great, right?” Taemin giggles, trying to make one firefly to land on his hand. “ I just knew about it too! Look! There are some above your head too!”

Filled with laugh from Taemin and quiet enjoyment in Minho’s softening expression, the young boy is glad he has done something right.

Yeah, even if it scared me, even if it meant to leave him when the time comes, unlike her..

Until that, would I be adequate enough for this job, of making him happy?

Often not knowing makes me feel anxious.

Taemin watches how Minho enjoys the beautiful view with fireflies surrounding the dark night. With just one step, just a simple step, and he can make Minho smile slightly like that.

It doesn’t matter if the smile is big, or not. What matters the most is, Taemin can feel Minho’s little happiness from it.

You always bear it alone because you are a very kind person, Minho Hyung.

Because you never refuse when someone seeks help – when someone needs you the most.

Your kindness like that, which makes everyone around you always come back to you again and again.

“ Too bad fireflies have a short lifespan. Once they reach adulthood, they only live for about a week,” Minho says when he touches a firefly near to his nose, “ Most of them don’t end up having a natural death but to environmental changes and predators, they fall prey, more likely.”

And it causes Taemin’s mind to float again, spacing out at the scenery.

Taemin doesn’t know for how long he can stay by Minho’s side.

Will it be forever..

Or will it be, for a short time?

As who, I’ll stay by his side in one, two, and years later?

He sags down onto his knees and wraps his legs with his arms, contemplating.

If it is not that long, then..

“ Could it be because the its life is so brief, it glows so much more beautifully, Hyung?”

Can I get beautiful memories with full of his smiles?

Minho thinks for a while and nods. “ Sure it does.”

Just like these fireflies..

 

And they keep staying quiet like that, enjoying this moment in placating silence.

 

They just don’t know that, someone has been watching over them from behind reticently.

 

 

 

a/n: i swear this is such a failure i don't even know what i wrote djfjksdhfksl i don't usually beta my fic so please excuse me and my grammar mistakes.

dude please be easy on me ok sobs

this is inspired from Komatta Toki ni wa Hoshi ni Kike and sobs 287subs are so beautiful omg ;~;