Chapter 5

Totally Captivated

 

a/n: this chapter is quite short, because i only typed this for 40 minutes. This had been latched onto my mind for some time so i just needed to get it out by writing this chapter quickly. I intended not to make this a long series, but i think it'll be far longer than i expected. idk o_o i haven't written the main part of this story either~ well, just enjoy then 8D~ i'm finally freed from my final exams of this 2nd semester at my college! /parties/

 

 

I suddenly look forward to the future that I will accompany you for

Don’t hide love, hold onto happiness as long as you can be honest, oh baby

I lost my mind when you walked into my line of sight

Just being near you my whole world will get in slow motion

Please tell me if this is love

Love is everywhere, it will let me forget pain, share sorrow, and learn to be caring

We’ve fought and cried and we can still embrace

Please tell me if this is love

When I hold your hand the whole world is endlessly envious

When you kiss me I understand that this feeling will never change

What they said was forever, but maybe not anymore

But you can trust that I will love you regardless of everything else

You will slowly understand, woahhh

I don’t know why, this feeling cannot be replaced

Love is a sudden accident, you allow me to become the world’s best man

As long as I’m by your side, my life becomes brilliant

I lost my mind when you walked into my line of sight

Just being near you my whole world will get in slow motion

Please tell me if this is love

Exo - What is Love

 

 

As the two weeks living with Minho has rolled and the third week is about to begin, finally Minho and Taemin have decided to start their photography project from Changmin. The oldest between two furrows when a kid runs past them happily, followed by another three children. Minho is not the type of finding that playing with children is amusing, so he just sits there, awaiting for any beautiful object he can take a picture. Those children are starting a bidding feud determining about who's the right person that can have the first ball to kick, whilst on the other hand Minho just watches over them and lets a crease on his forehead spring up even more. He begins to think about what kind of object he'll be glad to praise, but none crosses his mind and it just cheeses him off. He seriously needs some inspirations before the slot time given for this project ends.

At least once for each day, or each morning, afternoon, and evening. Hell, isn't it? He doesn't know what can be counted as beautiful according to his opinion because basically, beauty depends on one's eye. Minho knows nothing about that kind of this thing. Out of all beautiful things he has seen, nothing really, really impresses him.

Even you..

Minho shakes the old memories off and his eyes are laid on the sight of Taemin strolling back and forth, deadly as frustrated as the older or maybe less. He has been observing potential objects, but apparently he has not found anything either. Realizing that he is being watched, Taemin whips around and smiles, almost reaching his eyes, at the older man.

Minho is startled, and somehow he feels something inside him flutter, though he is not bothered to know. Taemin shouts from a couple meters away with some easy-to-understand gestures.

" Have found something?!"

The older shrugs, mouthing a clearly spelled 'No. You?' which is replied with a disappointed nod. Taemin trudges along with his heavy feet towards Minho then slumps onto the bench. The park is getting more and more people to gather because it's Sunday and already 4:00 PM. They notice some ice cream and other snack or beverage sellers begin to fill the space at the park.

"What did Changming Sungsaenim mean when he said to find beautiful objects according to our opinion?" Minho asks, still stubborn at valuing this project ridiculous.

"Who knows? But one thing i am confident enough is," Taemin leans his back closer against the bench, "you may find something beautiful and calming when it does help to calm one part in your heart gently."

"So?"

Taemin laughs. "Means that it's a true beauty."

Minho tosses the camera he has been holding between him and Taemin whose eyes are trailing where the older boy puts it. "Guess what? I think i understand what you mean but i am kind of stoic to feel that kind of emotion."

"I think it's similar when you can score a goal in soccer," Taemin points out, "that euphoria."

That's one of great suppositions Taemin mentions, Minho admits.

Then it means when his mind is comfortably blank and his chest feels so warm and light, until he is snapped to the reality, doesn't it?

" My mom once said," Taemin suddenly slips into the short silence again with a smile tugged on his face, " that the greatest thing which can make everything around us look so blossoming and beautiful, is love."

The last word brings Minho to lift his head and gazes at the younger boy who has been looking at somewhere else equably without bothered to take a peek at the oldest. Minho tries to penetrate the tension, or maybe atmosphere between them. Perhaps he can try to read the situation or at least what Taemin is feeling now. He wants to know..

Something has attracted him about this young boy's statement.

Minho doesn't find this is similar to love - but the way Taemin spoke just now, he makes Minho ponder what can possibly be Taemin thinks about 'love'.

" Was she right?"

Taemin still doesn't look back at Minho over his shoulder even for just a slightest glance. Just then, just then, Minho can not really understand about Taemin.

" I don't know."

Minho glances up, reminding himself that he is not supposed to get led towards this kind of conversation, especially when they are still engaged and Minho quite remembers that he is still, completely, straight, last time he checked. His adam apple throbbed up and down, the contrast to what he has just reminded his curious side.

" Have you experienced it?"

Again, again, Minho is really sure that even though Taemin only shows a little bit of his side profile because he stands up slant across him, Minho can see the younger one's lips break into a very, tiny smile.

" Once in my lifetime."

" Now?"

" Who knows?" Taemin laughs, " I don't.. really engage myself with this kind of thought because i just let things usually happen, come true, and sometimes subside."

If only Minho realizes that Taemin has just lied.

" I.." Minho lowers his neck a head down and murmurs, " I don't think i understand about it, then."

" No worries," a chuckle escapes from Taemin's full lips, " You will. Some day. If you've understood it then, you have to tell me how it feels like."

" You can just watch?" Minho frowns, " I'm not a girl. I can express my feelings so openly."

Taemin, just realizes that, they are having a quite normal conversation now. He feels at ease, somehow.

But in the deepest part of his heart, it's aching.

Remind me again why i have decided not to care so much of this engagement and start a conversation normally just like a good friend.

Taemin closes his eyes a bit, taking a deep breath.

True. I can't turn back anymore now.

Because, forever..

Taemin flutters his eyes open, smiling cheekily at the oldest as best as he can, so he will not make things become more awkward to Minho, because he doesn't want to burden him by his feelings.

This will be only one-sided love.

" It's not like i can stay forever with you, right?" he laughs, trying so hard to hide his emotions. " Come on, remember what i've said on the other day?"

Until you find the right person, let me stay by your side.

To accompany.

To see the day for the one you treasure so much come, that he will finally find his own happiness with the best person.

Whilst, on the other hand, Minho isn't able to respond at the answer - because he has never expected that, this kind of thing can actually affect him.

" ... Oh, right," Minho never knew before that he would stand up at such words just because he got taken aback, so when he finally finds himself standing behind Taemin, he quickly takes his mineral water and drinks it in a shot then throws the empty plastic bottle into a trash. His gaze shifts to the blue sky.

" I think the sky looks quite nice, doesn't it?" then Minho carries out his camera, snaps a picture of it, staring back at the sky in unexplainable clarity.

" Because i feel blank yet really warm when i stare at it," he mutters, his back still facing Taemin.

Then, the young boy notices this.

At first, actually, he only stares at the sight of Minho's back. He grabs his camera, then quietly takes a picture of it without the latter knowing. He brings down his camera, looking so unnerved.

He just realizes something, yes.

.. That actually, he likes seeing Minho's broad back. 

 

 

" .. No, Kai. Please just, no."

" Oh come on, Taemin. Once, pretty please?"

" I told you," Taemin whines, " You are a greater dancer than me. If i become your partner, people will look down on me and start to think, why this guy is dancing with such-"

" Taemin, stop. fussing. about yourself. every. ing. single. time," then Kai's laugh follows after, " I know your skill. I've seen a video of yours dancing with a very comforting tone and it was amazing. Come on, it's not like the song is going to be punk or metal. You're gonna like it."

" I've said, I-"

" No objection, Lee Taemin. I've applied your name on this paper. Seriously, Seiryou's festival is popular with its talent show. We can win then split the money. The prize is quite alluring."

" Listen, i am not going to embarrass myself- wait, Kai, what the hell? You've applied what? My name- oh, you, seriously."

" Whoa, Taemin just slipped a profanity into his sentence! Language, baby. Language."

Taemin massages the bridge of his nose frustratedly, a groan echoing in the kitchen as he prepares the dinner alone. Mr. and Mrs. Choi aren't home for two days, so he needs to take care of everything in the house because Minho is completely a dumb when it comes to housework except doing laundry.

" We have three days to practice. Okay, i get it. I will.. try not disappoint you, but if i embarrass myself, you know who i'm going to blame."

" You're just gonna blame yourself because you will be ing awesome that everyone is captivated by your performance.. hell, that doesn't sound a very good idea. I don't like it when people are around you."

" Oh shut up -" Taemin hasn't forgotten that Kai develops a crush on him, but since their friendship remains unchanged, Taemin doesn't want to do anything that can ruin what already is now. He feels comfortable around Kai when they're like this. " We will talk about this - oh, Minho Hyung."

A sudden pause of chuckles from other side in the call pauses blatantly when Taemin calls out that name. Taemin keeps his phone at the distance and says, " I'm making the dinner now. Wait for a moment, 'kay- Oh, Kai. Sorry, but i need to prepare the meal. Minho Hyung and I are really hungry after strolling around at the park earlier."

" A date?" an unhappy snort can be heard.

" No, for the photography project, or whatever it's called," Taemin explains, " Oh well, see you later tomorrow!" Then he hangs up. Minho's eyes trail the younger boy and ask, " Who?"

" Kai," Taemin simply answers, too focused on chopping the meat. Minho frowns, feeling somewhat strange and irked whenever that Kai guy is mentioned. " Why?"

" Asking me to be his dance partner for upcoming Seiryou's festival." Seiryou is their school's name, and hearing that Taemin is going to dance with that Kai makes Minho's ears perk up and the older frowns upon the statement. " What?"

" He is also a dancer, and a member of the dancing club. I'm still considering to join him too, because until i transferred to Seiryou, i haven't made up my mind for any club i have to choose."

" Ah.." Minho looks away at the outside through the window, feeling blank as he notices that the dark sky is becoming clouded, but it's not like he really cares of it now. Precisely, he begins to question himself if where his feelings now lead him to - because, he is confused. He wants to start a very normal friendship with Taemin because he doesn't hate the younger boy to begin with, but in unspoken words, he can not tear his eyes off what Taemin's doing. He's curious, how this boy will walk into his life. How Taemin will affect his perspective of seeing his own world. Right, he's straight. He has been emphasizing this again - but when that statement was finally made under those fireworks in the festival, he has begun to think that, it's not really matter anymore if he wants to observe Taemin. What matters now probably is related to his ual preference, and Minho is really sure last time he checked, he still like s. But again, what's bugging him now is, he wants to know what Taemin is able to do in this whole idea of the engagement.

Because this's the very first time that, someone is thinking to accompany me until i find my own happiness.

Maybe, from the first place, Minho was only shocked about same engagement, but now, how's he viewing everything?

It blurs his capability of thinking and determining what he wants, what he sees, and what he needs.

Minho is now thinking..

Whether its better if he should watch to what kind of situation this will lead him from now on.

 

And just then when he's still in the midst of contemplating, the light goes out.

" Oh , what's now," Minho curses, " Taemin, i think you should not continue preparing the dinner because we can't see anything.." But only silence greets him. Minho furrows. " Taemin? Are you still there?"

" Y-yeah."

" Wait," Minho frowns even more. Why's his voice shaking? " Are you all right?"

" No worries.." but the voice sounds so small, completely the opposite of Minho's deep voice so the eldest concludes that something is wrong. He gets up and makes his way towards the younger. He draws out his arm and lets his fingers fall onto Taemin's bony hand, touching it carefully. " Hey?"

But the skinny figure jolts, Minho can feel it, when the taller man touches his skin. A gulp is heard, and Taemin nods a bit, according to Minho's sight with the help of the moonbeam through the window. But Minho doesn't buy it, so he Taemin's cheek reflexively and figures out that the younger boy is sweating. He blinks twice before he realizes.

" Are you afraid of dark?"

Taemin cringes, shutting his eyes tight. A silence follows them afterwards, but Minho insists still looking at the boy's crown of head for an answer.

" .. It feels suffocating."

" Oh.." Minho got it right.

" You find me ridiculous, huh?" Taemin chuckles dryly, still tensed up at the darkness lingering around him. Minho sighs and shakes his head. " No, not as ridiculous as Kibum's phobia towards ugly people. Everyone has one. I don't find myself... quite fond of transvestites." He explains and observes how Taemin's body is slightly shivering now. He tugs Taemin's arm and pulls him closer. " Come here-" then they slid down onto floors, then Minho lets Taemin snuggle closer to him.

" At least if there're two of us, i can distract you from your fear."

This time is Taemin's turn to blink, but shivers not stopping even just for one second. Minho thinks deeply, creases can be seen on his forehead, before he finally speaks.

" So, you said that you like dancing," Minho repeats, " then you're chosen as Kai's dance partner. I'd like to see if things will be going smoothly." if that's a bad excuse, then Minho wants to kill himself but he still values his life. He just want to distract Taemin from his fear, because he knows it .

" Well.." Taemin's voice is still shaky, but not really nervous now, " You'll probably laugh at me."

" I haven't even watched so i won't judge."

" You will."

" No. Pinky promise."

Taemin is stupefied at Minho's remark and suddenly snickers then changes to giggles.

" What's that? 'Pinky promise'?" he laughs, " Not sounding like you at all.."

Ah.

Minho realizes this too, recently.

When Taemin laughs, they sound very amusing and make people around him feel boundlessly happy themselves.

Minho feels something racing and rushing in him - or is this what they call 'butterflies in my stomach'?

How Minho wishes he can start other conversation without making them feel awkward, so he groans unhappily.

When the giggles subside, the pregnant silence slips against, kicking into the kitchen but surprisingly, Taemin isn't trembling much anymore. Sure, there's a lace of nervousness and fear but it's much finer now.

" You see, Hyung," Taemin suddenly murmurs into his knees, " I've been thinking.."

" What?"

" A conversation that we can possibly start so we won't feel awkward, but the worse it winds up going again," Taemin mumbles, " so why can't i get things we can talk comfortably out, i wonder?"

Minho's eyes widen.

Well, i feel the same.

So Minho can't answer anything.

But then, Taemin chortles softly again, hugging his knees tighter as he feels the arm looped around his shoulder that has been there from the beginning.

" Thank you, i feel much better now," Taemin's relieved tone layers his thankful whisper, " and yes, i hope you can see me dancing, though. I've seen you playing soccer for a quite time. Now it's your turn. Isn't this a rare chance because you won't always see it, right?"

Even though it contains a bit of playful talk, Minho can hear that there's a slight of tip-off that, the time Taemin won't be around him anymore when the time has come.

" .. okay."

Just that, for once, the first time in his life ever since he met this boy,

He thinks that, no need for you to go anywhere.