Chapter 12

Totally Captivated

 

"Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same."

- Unknown

 

In the end, they come home a little bit late past the dinnertime.

Mrs. Choi scolds both of them for not telling her anything so she was so freaking worried, and to make it worse none of them picked up their phones. Minho has to calm his mother repeatedly and tell that he is not a child anymore. After all, he got Taemin with him so basically it was okay. Taemin adds an apologetic smile but he corroborates Minho’s explanation by saying, “ As long as we are together it’ll be so much safer, don’t you think, Auntie?” The woman then stops her scolds after hearing the pleading and sighs; moreover Minho’s father has arrived too not too long after the small argument.

“ I’ll let this slide off but next time you better pick up your phone, boys!” Mrs. Choi sternly reminds, “ You brats made me worried so bad.”

Taemin sheepishly breaks a grin on his face and Minho just a little bit rolls his eyes, which earns a light smack on his head. Minho yelps and glares at his mom, who just snorts and waves her hand ignorantly. “ Oh come on, you don’t have to glare like that, my son,” Mrs. Choi playfully rebukes, “ Okay, let’s just eat the dinner already. Honey, do you want tea?”

Mr. Choi nods exhaustedly. Being a white-collar one with important position sure gives you no break, Taemin thinks. He hurriedly asks Mrs. Choi if he can do the tea making instead and as soon as he receives the permission, he goes to make a cup of tea and serves it to Mr. Choi instantly. “ You’ve worked hard, Uncle,” Taemin greets with a gentle smile. The much older man laughs and pats Taemin’s head affectionately. “ Thank you, and for your information, I always love my wife’s and your tea,” he kindly informs, “ if only my son were as talented and kind as you, my life would be so much more perfect.”

Minho frowns and brings down a glass of apple juice from his lips, “ I heard that.”

“ Yeah, I deliberately said that out loud,” His father mocks him and Minho just sighs; his family would never take his side but Taemin’s.

 

 

Taemin heavily drags his feet towards his room because he just feels too full; Mrs. Choi cooked a lot of very delicious meals and urged him to eat more than usual. Of course, even though Taemin has a quite big appetite, for eating more than two portions is a little bit too much. Not that he’s complaining, though. Moreover, he has just finished copying Minho’s notes, so his energy is completely drained already.

He puts his bag under the desk and changes his uniforms immediately to a pajama. After washing his face, he pounces into his bed, feeling his tensed muscles slowly relaxing at the comfortableness. Taemin inhales deeply when his brain recalls the moment he had earlier with Minho.

He always thinks that fireflies are beautiful, but today Taemin’s heart feels like in bliss.

The bliss is multiple times warmer than he has ever felt.

It’s because there was Minho Hyung.

Taemin hasn’t figured out for how far his affection towards the older boy has grown, but surely he knows that he likes him and he wants to see him smile.

Always, happiness can’t be defined generally, and what makes Minho happy would not be same with other person.

That kind of thing, which Taemin often wonders if there’s another right thing to do to make him happy.

What kind of happiness Taemin can give to Minho?

For now.

The young boy rolls around and watches the dark sky through the window. A constellation shines brightly and is scattered across the darkness. When suddenly he spots a certain distinguishable shooting star, Taemin abruptly widens his eyes at the wonderful sight and unconsciously, his lips are slowly forming a gentle smile.

He never believes in shooting star, but maybe it’s because of the post-effect of the warm feeling still attached to his heart, or when it’s about Minho, he can believe in everything.

I wish the kindness in Minho Hyung to never disappear and he can find his own happiness soon.

His lips curve more upwardly (bigger and bigger as well) as he snuggles into the blanket and wraps his body around it carefully. Before his mind drifts off, he makes sure to slip a silent little prayer, which is still the same with the first one he made when he met Minho for the second time, after the announcement of their engagement within the families.

It just never changes.

 

 

“ You are the source of my happiness, Minho.”

That gentle voice reminded his important existence two years ago.

“ Please never leave me. Please always stay by my side.”

The weakness that was only shown to him that time, made Minho decided to love this person and he took great care of her, multiplying the happiness and halving the sadness together.

But when she left, Minho questioned if that time, he was able to be happy again, because he could not believe it, after all memories and care Minho had given to her.

‘Why did you leave?’

Had she been really happy with Minho before she asked for break-up?

What kind of true happiness they are seeking now?

“ Minho Hyung.”

And another gentle voice is calling him now.

So much, much gentler than everything.

Minho sees it.

He sees a calming smile.

A smile which is much, much brighter than the sun.

“ Taemin-ah?”

 

 

“ Minho? Minho?”

The concerned motherly voice coming from outside of his room snaps Minho’s eyes open from his deep sleep. He rises up with a small groan because suddenly a light headache hits him right away as he answers back, “ I’m already up, Mom.”

“ Good boy. I was really worried because you didn’t wake up even after I knocked the door pretty loud,” Mrs. Choi lets a relieved sigh escape and continues, “ Come down quick, okay? I don’t want you to get late. Taemin already went to school earlier because he has something to do so you won’t meet him later when you eat your breakfast. Your dad too, he needs to attend an important meeting, and I have to go now. Bye sweetie!”

“ Bye, mom,” Minho replies while getting a towel and uniform before walking to the bathroom as a sound of closed door echoed from downstairs.

After he is done with dressing up and eating breakfast, he immediately goes to school and one of his teammate calls him over. “ Minho! Over here!”

The said boy turns his head curiously. “ What?”

Chanyeol, that guy’s name, grins ear-to-ear. “ You know, yesterday our team talked about something,” he begins, “ About a small party once in a while.. tomorrow! Like, we are going to have a competition two months later and before we practice until we become dead meats, we think we should have a little bit fun..”

“ And..?” Minho nods, “ How does this have something to do with me?”

“ Yes thank you for asking,” Chanyeol flicks his fingers, “ First of all, you are the member of our team. The ace. The centre. The former amazing captain until the fact that we all are going to graduate.. All right doesn’t matter. And second, you have one of the biggest houses among us so – “

“ But I haven’t discussed with my mom if you are going to have that party in my house.”

“ No – what? Why? How do you know I am going to ask you about it?” Chanyeol frowns. His idiocy becomes something much clearer than before. Minho rolls his eyes. “ Well, I wonder if I have a sort of telepathy skill,” Minho sarcastically judges. Chanyeol blinks. He definitely misses that sarcasm.

Never mind.

“ I just have to ask my mom first, okay? Then I’ll let you know,” Minho jokingly hits Chanyeol’s forehead and the latter groans unhappily. “ You should have got your Baekhyun first in the morning before you looked for me, dummy.”

“ Ah now you are talking so – ! I totally forgot to pick him up at his house because I was too eager to tell you about our team’s plan! Man, and I promised to help him to carry heavy stuffs from art club!” and with that, Chanyeol flees, leaving the other boy frown upon his stupidity.

Baekhyun is going to be very mad, Minho thinks. It’s not that Baekhyun is kind of whiny person, but Chanyeol’s clumsiness sometimes can go far to some extent. While wishing that those two’s relationship will stay strong nonetheless, Minho shuffles back into his classroom and the first person he recognizes is a boy with his bouncy auburn locks stares absentmindedly through the window.

Maybe he still feels tired after the cleaning punishment he received yesterday. Minho can’t help but feel a pity towards Taemin, since both of them ended up coming home quite late last night and moreover Taemin had to catch some notes from earlier classes.

He barely had a peaceful sleep.

Minho sighs and goes over Taemin’s desk, feeling a little bit amused when the young boy looks up in confusion and his face contorts. He is clearly not expecting Minho to see him in the morning as the first thing Minho does.

“ .. Hyung?”

“ You look tired.”

“ Uh?” Taemin blinks, unconsciously the pad of his thumb passing along the structure of his face. “ Do I?”

“ Well,” Minho shrugs, “ If your eyebags haven’t explained anything..”

“ Oh,” Taemin’s face breaks a grin, “ I am fine.”

“ I’m sorry..” Minho whispers, “ You know, you accompanied me last night, right? You could always go home first yet you – “

Taemin laughs.

“ Am I that heartless after seeing you look so confused? No, Hyung,” Taemin smiles, “ Well, I care about you. It wasn’t like I could leave you so ignorantly like that. I just wanted you to feel better.”

Taemin’s childish giggle slips in Minho’s consciousness, making the elder between two fall in bewilderment.

Come to think of it..

Taemin always does something more for him, and it’s surprising.

The fact that Taemin always thinks for his sake..

“ Hyung?”

Minho bats his eyelashes. The train of thoughts gets snapped away the moment Taemin’s voice calls him out. When he meets with Taemin’s curious eyes, something warm envelopes his heart.

“ Is there something wrong with my words?” Taemin worriedly asks.

Minho just shakes his head.

And he smiles.

Even it’s just a slight smile, Taemin is unable to stop his own heart from skipping one beat quicker.

Thump.

“ It’s alright.. and, thank you,” Minho murmurs, “ For yesterday.”

For being together with me when I felt anxious.

Then Minho goes to his seat, leaving the dumbfounded Taemin whose cheeks are gradually turning red.

 

 

“ Only four photos left, Taemin,” Minho suddenly starts a conversation when the Choi Family and Taemin gather together to watch some TV shows. The said boy clasps his fingers altogether and sighs. “ Finally. I thought we had much more than that.”

“ Not really..” Minho mumbles, lazily resting his back against the couch. “ It’s a good thing that you constantly kept looking for good objects. I don’t have any particular talent in defining.. beautiful objects. Or so.”

Mr. Choi knits his eyebrows upwards. “ What kind of thing are you two talking about?”

“ A project, from our art class,” Minho explains, “ It’s troublesome, right, Taemin?”

Taemin snickers softly. “ Well, I wonder.”

Suddenly, the only woman in the household chuckles gently, making the other three men look at her in confusion. “ Mom?”

“ No, it’s just that,” Mrs. Choi explains, “ You two can converse more naturally than before. It’s nice seeing two boys in this house get along so well.”

Taemin’s lips curve tenderly, inwardly agreeing her.

Just that, Minho notices something.

Even in his own family, his parents realize that any sensitive topic regarding to the whole engagement thing is spoken so carefully. His parents don’t want to make things more awkward than they already are, because they have sensed the atmosphere between Taemin and Minho, hence the reason Taemin draws a clear line as the reminder for himself so he won’t step out any further from it which can lead into a discomfort.

Am I too selfish?

But all of them know that if one of them forces to step out of the line ignorantly, someone will get hurt.

It’s either they have to completely fall in love, or not.

Minho and Taemin still have a long way to go before they can decide it.

Taemin realizes about it too.

Minho reassures himself mentally that he still has plenty times in the world.

 

 

Apparently, the next day has been going too smooth that Minho even forgets that he needs to do something.

So when his teammates appear with a huge grin in front of his house, Minho is too surprised that he is unable to talk.

“ Because you didn’t give us any answer whether we could use your house or not, we take it as yes,” Chanyeol announces, “ So.. is that okay?”

“ Honey, who are – oh,” Mrs. Choi blinks in surprise when some of Minho’s teammates she recognizes are seen, “ Ah, Luhan! Chanyeol! Are they all your teammates too?”

“ Yep,” Luhan nods, “ We are planning to have a small party at your house, Mrs.. Apparently Minho forgot to ask your permission first..”

Minho worriedly glances at his mother, who just rolls her eyes and snaps at him. “ Dumb Choi Minho who only thinks about himself or spaces out,” she scolds, “ Oh well, whatever. Of course you can use this house, sweeties! I can make a big dinner if you want! God, thank goodness I haven’t cooked for you and – “ then Mrs. Choi pauses, making Minho realize something.

Minho’s eyes are snapped wider, and his mother understands it quickly. She makes a gesture to go upstairs and Minho just nods. “ Guys, I have something to take care first – before that, just go to the living room and make yourself feel at home!” Then he flees before their eyes ever too fast, causing the guests exchange stares. Mrs. Choi hurriedly takes over their attention and smiles brightly.

“ So, do you want lime juice, or ice tea, boys?”

 

 

Minho takes a deep breath and knocks carefully, whispering a bit loudly, “ Tae?”

“ Hyung?” the door is opened from inside, “ come in,” Taemin greets and lets Minho slip into his room. The older boy scratches his scalp awkwardly as Taemin’s gaze shifts to other direction curiously. “ I hear a lot of voices down there..”

“ Well, they are my teammates and..”

“ Oh.” Taemin understands right away the reason Minho comes to his room. “ I guess I have to stay here for a while.”

“ I’m sorry,” Minho quickly apologizes, “ And we haven’t had our dinner yet..”

“ It’s not like they know we live together so it can’t be helped,” Taemin reassures, “ I’m fine, really. I am not hungry yet. I can survive! It’s not like they’re going to be here for a week too. It’s just for one night only.”

“ Yeah, but – “

“ Hyung,” Taemin crosses his arms over his tummy and a small laugh escapes from his lips. “ You don’t have to use such all-whacky-formality like now. We’re like friends, okay?”

It stings, somehow. Minho has to admit.

But Taemin is right, because Minho offered about this kind of relationship when they started this engagement.

Because Taemin is completely right, Minho feels uneasy.

“ All right, then.”

Taemin watches as Minho leaves his room, closing the door quietly.

Minho leans his figure against the wall, zoning out as he recalls the word repeatedly in his head, echoing over and over.

Friends.. huh..

 

 

Minho can barely remember how long he has been counting how many times the clock is ticking. His memories faintly recall when Chanyeol’s derp laugh amused his teammates and Luhan tripped over air then everyone gave him judging look -

-  While Minho is still being his usual self. Attentive, quiet, and he just stares at his friends. He only laughs a little or frowns, but the rest of speaking done is only about either self-defending from Chanyeol’s dry joke or joining Jongdae’s crack-ish ridicule towards Kris, the midfielder.

He can’t tell how he keeps glancing over his shoulder to look at the clock over and over.

Three hours have passed and twenty minutes later they finally show signs of going home.

Minho has to hold back a sigh of relief slip out of his chapped lips as he watches his friends gathering their stuffs and wastes before they finally stand before the door and smile simultaneously.

“ Gee, thanks, Minho,” Luhan chirps, “ We suddenly appeared in front of your house and your mom still welcomed us. Really, we appreciated it and we’re sorry for our rudeness.”

“ But still, we are not 100% sorry anyway, you forgot to tell us—Ouch, Kris! That hurts!” Chanyeol glares, his orbs look like almost falling down because he widens his eyes too far. A heavy unhappy grunt jumbles out of the tall blonde’s mouth and he looks back at Minho. “ Don’t listen to this idiot. Anyway, thanks Minho.”

“ Yup,” Minho nods, “ It’s not a big deal.. really. I also had so much fun with you all.”

“ Yeah, I wish we could do well for the next match. If we don’t give our best even after this party to relieve us..” Minseok shakes his head, “ We are so done. Yunho is going to kill us.”

“ We sure will,” Luhan reassures, “ We’ll be fine.”

Then all of them grin.

“ Okay then,” Luhan is the first who waves, “ See you tomorrow, Minho!”

“ Yeah,” Minho waves back “ See you, guys. Be careful.”

And when Luhan turns his body to face the door, his eyes catch something strange.

A stylish pair of shoes, which stands out most among the other shoes, is organized neatly at a shoe rack.

As far as he can recall, Minho’s shoe-size isn’t that small.

But Luhan blinks – then one moment later he totally lets it slide off, before he finally goes home.

 

 

“ Thank goodness,” Minho groans, “ It’s a good thing they didn’t make a mess.”

“ At least they cleaned up the wastes, sweetie,” Mrs. Choi happily responds, “ Why, such nice and polite boys they are, aren’t they?”

Minho has to agree with that statement as he launches himself onto the couch, feeling his tensed muscles relaxing.

“ Oh my God,” his mother suddenly squeaks, “ I totally forgot!”

The taller one sends a curious glance. “ About what?”

“ Taeminnie!” his mother half-cries, totally confused and worried as she looks at a portion of supposed-to-be tonight’s dinner, “ He hasn’t eaten anything since he came home!”

That’s when Minho’s calm side snaps.

He gets up and ascends the stairs hurriedly before he (basically) bangs the door open. “ Taemin-ah – “

His heart drops when he sees a motionless form lay on the floor. He scurries forward in a blind panic and shakes the thin body frantically. “ H-hey! Taemin-ah!”

Then slowly, the said boy flutters his eyes open. “ H-huh? Minho Hyung?” he whispers with a lace of confusion on his face, “ Are you done with the party?”

“ Damnit it wasn’t a party but more like – whatever. Why were you laying on the floor?” Minho desperately tries to stop himself from shouting because , he was really scared, “ I thought you fainted! You haven’t eaten anything yet, have you?”

“ Uh but..” Taemin’s forehead creases, “ I just skipped dinner. I ate well this morning and this afternoon. I’m still okay, really.”

Minho thinks he already forgets how to breathe. He feels so relieved, then a sigh slips out a couple seconds later, making Taemin stare at him for a moment.

Taemin’s lips are slowly forming an upward curve. He tilts his head and rubs Minho’s palm soothingly.

“ Thank you for worrying me, Hyung.”

Minho instantly remembers it again.

He remembers his dream.

A smile which is much, much brighter than the sun.

How is he going to describe the heart attack he had when he thought Taemin was unconscious?

How is he going to describe the fluttering feeling when he saw Taemin’s calming smile?

“ Hyung?”

He hears it again.

“ Minho Hyung.”

That kind of concerned voice which is so much gentler than everything else.

From where Taemin’s fingers make a contact with his palm, the warmth spreads throughout his body and suddenly, Minho feels so transparent.

What if he can figure out what I am feeling now?

“ Let’s just.. eat first,” Minho finally breaks the silence, “ I’ll go with you. Mom will be extra worried if you really skip your meal.”

“ Okay..” Taemin complies with Minho’s request as he peers at the older boy, following him from behind obediently.

He didn’t miss a glint of gentleness in those big eyes a moment ago, and Taemin’s heart flutters so badly now.

He wonders if Minho could tell his rapid heartbeat from the simple, small touch they shared earlier – he felt so open, so exposed, under Minho’s intense yet gentle gaze.

A couple steps later, they already sit across each other in the dinning room, and they’re left with an image of themselves; Taemin eating quietly and Minho randomly looking at everywhere, along with a tender silent atmosphere surrounding both of them.

 

 

a/n: well, ain't this a . I'm totally lost where the plot is gonna lead me and this story to. I randomly wrote each chapter as long as i thought i was still on track, but apparently my method backfired on me. Whatever. i'm trying to continue this sob lemme hug you all guys and sorry for weird english etc~

I have so many feels because of Kyou Kara Maou recently, has anyone watched it? I'm in love with Conrad Weller. Period.

sayonara! until the next chapter (or next story or next update or next everything whatever)