Chapter 10

Totally Captivated

sorry for taking it so long! this is my third semester in college, and i really have so many stuffs to catch up, especially i am taking a part in the biggest theatre performance in my faculty for the beginning of next year. please bear with it. i promise i won't drop this as long as i still have the plot to continue and you guys still support me. this chapter isn't long and i haven't checked it again, but i hope this is enough to make up to you guys. enjoy!

 

Once again, I surrender
Cause I can tell myself
I stand amazed, by the love and grace
So grateful for all I am

It’s so amazing, truly amazing
and my heart is overflowing and complete
It’s so amazing, truly amazing
and now I know the greatest gift of all

CSJH The Grace (Dana and Sunday) - Amazing.

 

“ Two free tickets to amusement park?”

Mrs. Choi nods enthusiastically at her son and Taemin, a beam of excitement glistening her orbs. “ Yeah, your father’s boss gave this to him and me, but since we think it’ll be nice for you guys to experience this instead of us, why not? You boys are still young and this can develop your relationship closer. I mean, come on. You are engaged but I can sense awkwardness between you two.. And Taemin, honestly you are really beautiful and you need to show your beauty more to the world.”

“ Oh.” After she prods on them closer into her blarney by the end of  the sentence, a faint blush tints Taemin’s cheeks. “ Um.. Thank you?” He doesn’t know if he should thank Mrs. Choi at her flatter. He gazes up, worrying about Minho’s opinion. The boy doesn’t change his stiff, flat expression. It just stays there as he listens to his mother thoroughly. Taemin wonders if this can lead them to more awkwardness after yesterday.

Speaking of which..

By recalling that Minho’s ex-girlfriend suddenly storms into their lives and the incident of Minho hugging him, Taemin swears he almost shrieks uncontrollably now because he is way too embarrassed remembering them. He coughs a little and splutters, making the other two turning their heads at Taemin weirdly. “ You okay, sweetie?” Mrs. Choi asks concernedly, while Minho is shooting him a worried look, which can’t be seen that palpably, but at least the way Minho’s shady eyes widen slightly explains it. Taemin grins sheepishly, murmuring, “I am okay” before scratching his head awkwardly. There’s no way he’d say that he was thinking of yesterday’s incident this much. Minho probably doesn’t feel bothered at all. He was doing that because he felt confused since everything is happening so quickly recently, with his ex suddenly coming back.

Taemin feels bitter, somehow, but he refuses to keep his hope high.

“ So?” Mrs. Choi’s voice urges them for a definite answer. “ Boys?”

“ Mom, you won’t take ‘no’ as the answer, after all,” Minho sighs, judging hard at her. The woman giggles happily at the fact her son knows her better than anyone else aside her husband. “ Of course! This is such a good opportunity. I never see you hang out together except for that photography project, seriously. You get it, Minho?” She glares at her only son because she knows that Taemin will never object her so the problem lies within the other one. Minho takes a deep breath and glances over. “ What do you think?”

Taemin nervously answers, “ Honestly I don’t mind..”

“ If Taemin is okay with it, so am I,” Minho quickly adds, hoping that the mother will get done with this faster because her eyes filled with excitement looking at them is a bit.. too much. Taemin gets impish glee in his heart as he nods excitedly, looking forward to the fun he’s going to have. “ I’m totally fine,” he pauses, glancing over and hurriedly adds, “ if Minho Hyung doesn’t feel bothered.”

“ I think it’s ok,” Minho blinks, “ It’s been a while since I went to amusement park so it’ll be fun, maybe.” Then he flicks his fingers a little when an idea hits him. “ Taking some good pics and filtering them to be inserted to our project will be good too.”

“ Great,” Taemin laughs, his eyes making adorable crinkles. “ I need to shower and change clothes first.” Then he runs upstairs, amusing the kind woman behind him. “ He looks so happy,” she comments, chuckling lightly at the sight. “ You have such a cute fiancée. If I were you, I would treasure him no matter what.”

Minho doesn’t reply but stares absentmindedly at  where Taemin just stomped his feet past them and quietly sighs.

Because in the past, after that time,

He has never allowed anyone to enter the deepest part of his heart, locked closely without giving any chance.

 

“ Wow,” Taemin blinks amusedly, “ So many people here today.”

“ You didn’t look at calendar, did you?” Minho wriggles his brows, “ This is weekend. I wasn’t expecting less people coming here at very least.”

Taemin laughs shyly, embarrassed at his forgetfulness. He takes two tickets out of his small backpack, handing them over to Minho. The taller boy goes towards a ticket clerk and watches as the tip of those tickets are being ripped as the sign of the admission. They walk past the crowd and start looking for the first ride, for which suddenly Taemin points out roller coaster, which earns a doubtful look from Minho. “ Are you sure? Aren’t you scared?”

“ Nope,” Taemin laughs, “ Why?”

Minho doesn’t immediately answer and shrugs, then followed the younger boy into the ride. A few minutes later, they get off with Minho massaging his temples carefully since the ride spun him roughly in extreme speed. Minho isn’t a person who gets scared of this kind of thing, but really for being spun around repeatedly that fast just makes him feel little sick. Minho eyes over the excited boy near him, seemingly not affected by the rotation earlier. “ You look okay.”

“ I do,” he smiles, “ I love roller coaster. Basically I can ride everything here.”

“ Oh,” Minho simply takes a mental note. The appearance and his braveness don’t really match here, but that’s a good thing, Minho thinks. “ I thought you couldn’t ride such things like roller coaster.”

“ Why?” A grin spreads wide across his face, “ Don’t you think it’s fun? Or maybe – “ Suddenly his face breaks a worried look, “ You find this boring? Are you regretting going out with me?”

“ No,” Minho hurriedly confirms, “ You don’t do anything. I am just surprised, that’s all. Besides, this is first time we go out to somewhere not because of the project only, we should really enjoy it.”

“ Ah,” A relief sigh escapes, “ I’m glad to know it.”

“ This place is great,” Minho smiles a little, “ It’s going to be fun.”

Honestly, Taemin gets surprised at the tiny smile across Minho’s usual flat expression. He doesn’t have so many of it, because he can’t express his feelings and mind so openly.

When Minho smiles, there’s a fluttering feeling in his heart and his cheeks feel warm.

Somehow, Minho looks so genuine when he tries to express what he feels.

If you look happy, I guess that’s all that matters.

When he is thinking like that, Taemin takes out a camera from his small backpack stealthily, while watching the broad back of the man walking before him.

 

“ Whoa,” Taemin blinks with amazement, “ You can get the grand prize. What an awesome shooter you are..”

Minho stares at his accomplishment proudly, receiving the prize, which is a set of cool soccer shoes. He carries the prize while looking at the other rides around. Taemin can tell that he is really enjoying this a lot, which makes him break a little smile behind the tall boy.

Suddenly, someone in a panda costume walks over to approach them with two balloons in his hand, light steps towards Taemin, precisely. The panda hands over the balloons to Taemin, causing the auburn-haired boy tilt in confusion but he accepts them nonetheless after thanking the panda. He nods eagerly before leaving two of them, confused at the sudden giving. Minho then shifts his gaze to the younger boy, looking amused. “ It suits you, somehow.”

Taemin widens his eyes and gawks, “ What? It doesn’t make me happy at all..”

“ Well,” Minho points out, “ Rather than me holding them, it fits you better.”

Taemin can’t imagine Minho holding two balloons with his tall, sturdy figure like an athlete. He sighs, inwardly agreeing Minho’s opinion. “ Then, shall we check the spinning tea cups?” Minho suggests, thinking that the only rides left are non-extreme ones. Taemin obediently follows the jock, deciding that he will keep the balloons at least until they reach home.

“ Don’t get lost,” Minho warns, “ and keep your phone safe. Mom probably will call you over me because I don’t usually pick up my phone when I am at outside.”

“ Okay – “ As soon as he says it, his phone vibrates to life in his pocket. Taemin squeaks, startled, before he takes out the device and flips his phone open. It is a text, and it’s from Kai. Taemin smiles to himself when he reads the message, asking what he’s doing and his day so far today.

Kai is such a good friend.

And then, the other messages keep coming and coming, as Taemin busily replies them, unable to get his hand off the phone, even until they take the last ride, Ferris wheel. They step into the passenger car together, sitting on the opposite direction. Taemin looks out happily like a little kid, admiring the view from where he’s sitting as the ride slowly goes up.

“ Whoa,” Taemin voices out his admiration, “ the view is amazing! Look at that, Hyung! The buildings look so tiny and they shine because of the light inside the rooms!”

“ Right,” Minho agrees, “ You like this very much, don’t you?”

“ Yes,” Taemin nods with appreciation, smiling ear-to-ear. In the midst of enjoying the comfortable silence, Taemin’s phone vibrates again and the owner already knows who’s the sender. He reads the message and giggles quietly, thinking that Kai is such a funny fellow for entertaining him again.

While, on the other hand, Minho can’t help but notice that Taemin has been texting with someone since earlier. He looks like he’s having so much fun compared to when he rides everything with him – and Minho feels unbearably curious and dislikes it – maybe because he feels ignored?

“You seem so happy,” Minho comments, not surpassing his curiosity anymore. “ With whom are you texting?”

“ Oh,” Taemin cheerfully answers, “ Kai. He keeps saying funny stuffs and I can’t help but laugh.”

Kai.

That Kim Kai.

Hearing his name makes Minho want to grit his teeth and groan, but surely he would make himself look dumb if he did that so he takes a deep breath, doesn’t bother to ask Taemin any further.

“ I see.”

Of course, Taemin instantly notices the change in Minho’s tone – from then usually flat tone to a unusually cold one.

“ Um – “ Taemin has no idea why, but he thinks that he needs to confirm this even if Minho doesn’t really want to know. “ We are good friends, Hyung.”

“ Really.. It’s good.”

What..

What on earth?

“ Ah – “ Taemin wants to say something but he shuts his mouth, not knowing what to tell him. Even though, there’s nothing different with Minho’s attitude since he doesn’t convey his thoughts that much, but Taemin can tell that he’s not his usual self.

His voice sounds different and a bit colder.

Why.. am I feeling like this?

Did I just bother him?

Throughout the ride, Taemin is really bothered and uneasy. He keeps telling himself to apologize, but he doesn’t even know the reason.

Even after they get off the passenger car, the older boy still doesn’t say anything and Taemin mentally chants that, maybe it’s him who becomes so over-sensitive.

But I still feel queasy.

“ Hey.”

Suddenly Minho’s low voice startles him and Taemin pauses his steps immediately, stuttering. “ Y-yes?”

“ Is it okay to have yourself going out all day with me?”

“ Of-of course..”

Minho sighs. “ You didn’t really have fun with me, did you? Is it boring because I don’t talk much?”

Taemin frowns – this conversation is getting weird and Taemin doesn’t know where this is leading him. Yet, when Minho says that, Taemin thinks the opposite so he quickly blurts, “ No! It’s really fun -  I mean – “

“ Well, I’m fine with that – “

When Minho is telling him such things, he doesn’t turn around to face him. Taemin bites his lower lip, holding back his feelings, as he finally cries out, “ No! It’s not really fine at all!”

Minho stops, because Taemin just yelled at him and second, he hears soft pants from the younger one behind him. He slowly spins; looking over at Taemin whose face has turned a bit red, shutting his eyes tight.

“ Really, this is the first time I saw you look so happy – I didn’t know how to react and behave when you were like that, so I just watched you because it really made me happy too – it’s not..” Taemin loses his ability to explain. His head droops, confused if he should tell more, but he really enjoyed being with him the most. He has never had such experience before, especially because Minho is his company, he feels happier than ever.

But why is Minho thinking like that?

“ Ah..”

Taemin wonders how Minho will respond.

He feels so embarrassed and stupid. He blurts out his feelings without considering the weird distance between them for all of this time, but he has no idea how to express it other than telling the truth.

I wonder.. if it was a great idea.. to tell him that..

“ But I thought you found it boring being with me, so you texted Kai instead to have that fun.”

Taemin zones out for a second – what?

Because Taemin doesn’t pay attention, he accidentally bumps into a kid and one balloon slips off his hand, causing Taemin yelp in panic and try to reach it, but the longer arm has done it far quicker than him. Taemin looks at the man in front of him, Minho, catching the balloon for him. Taemin seems dazed when Minho’s face is the first thing he sees after looking up, with such unreadable expression, until the older man pushes the balloon to him, hands touching close.

Taemin can feel a flick of fire burning his skin.

His heart is thumping faster than usual – what am I doing?

“ Anyone will think like me when their company seems to enjoy their time with other person more, be it by phone or anything,” Minho mumbles, “ So when you’re with me, then don’t ignore me.”

I didn’t actually ignore you..

A blush is starting to tint Taemin’s cheeks, as slowly he receives the balloon and Minho detaches the touch between their hands.

But..

They walk again to go home, and throughout the walk, Taemin can’t prevent his heart from fluttering and beating so much, then Taemin wonders if someone can hear his heartbeat.

“ In the end, we didn’t take any pictures for our project.”

“ Yeah..”

Taemin stares at Minho’s back blankly, lips quavering.

What should I do?

I feel so happy..

Taemin never thought of this before, but when it comes to Minho, he always makes him experience different feelings.

For considering him like that, already makes Taemin unbearably happy.

Hoping to see someone feeling like that because of me, I never thought I would have such thoughts.

On the surface it seems insignificant to consider such a silly thing as an important part of my life.

Taemin quietly grabs his camera and peeks at the gallery, pressing the next button to see the photos he’s taken since the moment they arrived at the amusement park.

All of them are Minho.

Does this mean, Minho has become an important part of me?

“ Taemin, I didn’t think someone like you would enjoy such extreme rides like that,” Minho suddenly comments, “ You look like a type who would cry and scream more, you know?”

“ Despite my appearance, I look stronger, Hyung,” Taemin mutters, giggling softly.

“ So if you are not as weak as that, what kind of thing you fear the most?”

Taemin recalls the memories of the first time he met Minho again after the last time he had seen him as a kid, after their parents announced that they are engaged.

“ I fear not being accepted by people around me.”

And it is the truth, because it upsets Taemin every time he thinks that, Minho hasn’t gotten over the fact that, Taemin has walked into his life as his fiancée.

There’s a short silence between them, until Minho speaks,

“ It’s a good thing I accept your existence, then.”

Taemin’s eyes go wide, tears slowly filling the eyelids and he closes them tight, preventing from spilling out.

Even though it’s only my existence..

Why do I feel so grateful and blessed?

He quickly wipes his tears, looking away to hide his puffy, red eyes.

When Minho asks about his eyes later, he’ll say that he is so sleepy that even he squeezes some tears out because it stings.

If that person is Minho..

Precisely because it is him..

Any kind of happiness, even if it’s so simple..

I would surely be happy, regardless of our circumstances.

The ring of their engagement, worn as the pendant of his necklace, juts out from between his collar. Taemin reaches and holds it close to his chest, feeling the heartbeat. It doesn’t beat as fast as earlier, but Taemin knows that even until now, this kind of heartbeat is still because of Minho.

No matter what happens..