Chapter 1

Totally Captivated

 

Maybe it is Minho’s fault in the first place that he did not object the arranged marriage offer with a person that he doesn’t even know whom.

“ He is beautiful and gorgeous, has a very nice personality. Every man’s dream, I need to say.”

The coffee Minho has now contains creamy puff swirling on the top of it, floating upside down as Minho stirs it half-heartedly, staring down at the mixed liquid from the coffee and the cream.

That time he blamed himself from mishearing he’. He thought it was ‘she’ – so he accepted the offer.

After all, he knows that his family and his fiancée’s have a very strong bond between them because their grandfathers were good friends when they were still alive, so even if he objected, he would still be betrothed no matter how hard it’d take, so Minho agreed.

He failed to realize that it should be ‘he’ instead of ‘she’ and now he is faced with the truth that, his fiancée turns out to be a young beautiful boy.

Minho is a very straight person, to be honest, and quite homophobic (when it comes to himself). He doesn’t let himself get involved with gays’ life, so he refuses to have gay relationships, even though, his best friend Jinki is dating Key right now (he’s personally the exception because even to Minho, Key was supposedly born as a woman because he does look like a lot) – or maybe, as long as he doesn’t get hit on by gays, it’s okay.

Not that he hates his fiancée; it can’t be helped. Both families have arranged it, so they need to accept it.

“ Minho Hyung..”

Minho’s eyes gaze at the voice owner. He mumbles under his heavy breath after drinking the coffee. “ It’s you, Taemin.”

Now that he and his fiancée live together under the same roof of Minho’s house, they have to spend more time despite Minho’s parents are also with them, but it doesn’t change the fact that, Minho feels terribly awkward around him.

“ Good morning,” he smiles blindly; innocent enough not to realize the uneasiness Minho is feeling now; however, Minho still replies (a bit lazily), “ yeah, morning to you too.”

“ Ara, ara, good morning, kids,” Mrs. Choi greets them with a warm smile plastering her soft expression. “ Have a nice sleep, Taemin? Today is the eighth day you live with us.”

Taemin nods politely and greets the patriarch brightly, which is responded with a same bright smile. “ Morning, Mr. Choi.”

“ Morning, Taemin-ah.” And Taemin proceeds to also exchange greets with the youngest child, Sulli, who is on the same age with him.

The young boy pulls out the chair quietly across Minho’s seat, not daring to look up at the eldest son.

Everyone here has accepted him warmly and of course, Taemin feels grateful.

But he doesn’t think that the eldest, who is also his own fiancée, thinks the same way as them.

He doesn’t even look at Taemin again properly today.

 

Minho has said to Taemin that they need to hide their relationship at school.

Taemin understands that Minho is really popular, in which most of girls are after him and wish that he’d impregnate them. He’s the best when it comes to sports, and his grades are quite excellent too. Overall, he’s just perfect as the way he is. Maybe Minho is a bit cold and expressionless, but he’s friendly and loyal to his close friends.

When Taemin first moved to this school, he grasped the situation quickly of why Minho doesn’t want everyone at school knows about their arranged marriage. Even though for now they are still engaged, Minho refuses to openly talk about their engagement either.

Taemin knows he can’t accept the reality, and he is embarrassed about their relationship.

Of course, Taemin feels unbearably upset because he realizes that, this is one-sided love.

They had met long before, about couple years ago when they were much younger than they are now, and Taemin, that time, already knew that this person is the man in his dream.

The person that Taemin is willing to spend his life together with, or even do something in order to make him happy.

But at the end, Taemin accepts again, about the fact that Minho hasn’t done the same thing to him as the return.

All Taemin wants is to stay by Minho’s side, nothing more. It’s just enough that Minho lets him live together with him, which means Taemin can see him closer.

Maybe it hurts – because Minho doesn’t feel the same way.

But again, it’s okay for now.

Just like this.. is fine..

 

Minho and Taemin always walk home separately.

This is concerned to Minho’s wish about not wanting anyone to expose their relationship, so it is either Taemin walks first or the vice versa, but they always make sure to walk from different direction. After all, Minho’s house has two gates; first it is the main gate and the second one is the small door placed near the backyard. It is rarely used, and both of them sometimes use it alternately.

But really, Taemin wishes that they could walk together once – even if they need to pretend as friends and visit Minho’s place.

That is just a simple wish, but Taemin never dares to say about it.

 

 

“ Man,” Jonghyun whistles when Taemin walks past them absentmindedly because he hurriedly dashes off to the homeroom teacher’s office because he just called him. Jonghyun nudges Minho, one of his good friends, excitedly. “ Lee Taemin can make one of fine women, right?”

Minho frowns, looking disgusted. “ Jonghyun, seriously? He is a man!”

“ Yes, and why?” Jonghyun frowns back, “ We live in a society which already accepts gay relationship. I am quite a carefree person, I don’t mind flirting with anyone as long as they suit my taste.”

Minho doesn’t understand the way of Jonghyun’s thinking, to be honest.

“ I mean, look at Taemin. He’s beautiful, nice, shy, and quite smart. Most of men here question about his gender and preference about uality, because really, he is the ideal type of every man, don’t you think so? I wonder who’ll be the lucky person who gets to be with him..”

Minho looks at his feet pointing each other, feeling nervous because that Taemin is already engaged with him – and top of all, Minho is as straight as , so it becomes more complicated than the way it already seems.

He wishes he could turn back the time, honestly.

 

 

Minho feels really awkward when their gazes bump each other accidentally or when they talk.

They meet in the restroom coincidentally and Taemin is the first one who nervously smiles at him. “ Uh. Hi.”

A simple greet won’t be a great deal of trouble, will it? So Minho greets back. He notices the pink shades on Taemin’s apple cheeks.

From the first time, maybe Taemin is the only one who has accepted the engagement willingly and has taken keenness on him, to know him further.

Minho notices about it too, of course.

That’s why he feels incredibly awkward, doesn’t know what to do, just because he still thinks this is wrong.

I am completely a straight guy, so why..

Again, he doesn’t hate Taemin, like, yeah, he is adorable and a good boy. Perfectly admirable; so why things aren’t going well now? Because they have this sort of relationship whereas their feelings are totally the contrary.

Minho stares at him, whom looks back with his doe eyes.

It doesn’t feel right..

“ Don’t look at me with those eyes, Taemin.”

The younger boy’s eyes widen, looking taken aback and stuttering. “ Ah.. um..” he stammers and looks clearly shocked.

He doesn’t know what has possessed him for saying such things like that to Taemin, but Minho’s mind has gone blank too.

“ Okay.”

And again, Taemin always smiles.

No matter how hurt it feels..

 

 

The next day, and later so on, they relationship doesn’t change. There’s still a sort of awkwardness between them, but Taemin can easily talk to him. For example, when it is the dinnertime, Taemin calls Minho without looking nervous.

Minho doesn’t understand why, but he feels pretty relaxed recently.

When Taemin doesn’t act like a giddy high school girl in love, it makes things become easier for him to deal with.

But still, something is off.

It becomes so much easier that it even makes Taemin feel strange.

Minho observes that guy who always reads books or plays his console game alone. He doesn’t talk much and his eyes are always fixed on a certain thing. He looks rather more interested in something nowadays.

But the weird thing is, Minho doesn’t understand nor find what kind of interest Taemin has. When Minho talks back to him, he finds Taemin’s eyes concentrated on something more than anything, but it always changes. He averts his eyes continuously, as if he is paying more attention to that interesting thing for him.

At first, Minho thought that Taemin prefers to talk without looking at each other recently, but watching something else as if he looks really interested in that.

But it changes when he sees Taemin still manages to exchange looks with Sulli and laughs together when they joke about gag show aired that time.

Also it happens when Taemin has a conversation with his parents, sometimes he looks at their eyes and grins adorably, making them want to just squish him.

“ I can help you carrying those books.”

Taemin points at the books that his classmate, a girl, is carrying painstakingly. She blushes at Taemin’s kindness as he stares at him warmly.

Minho feels annoyed somehow.

Look at him now, smiling and gazing at her kindly. It can make one person misunderstand the intention.

Taemin also looks at her in the eye.

So why does it feel different?

 

Minho decides to confront him tonight. He approaches him quietly in his room, and it seems that Taemin is in the midst of studying. He tilts, wondering if he could just barge in but at the end, he opens the door calmly. He can tell that Taemin jerks in surprise at the sound of door being opened.

“ Mom told me to call you. Dinner is ready.”

“ Oh,” Taemin smiles to himself when he recognizes Minho’s deep voice and looks at his homework as he continues working on it. “ Wait a minute, I’ll come down.”

“ Hurry up.”

“ Don’t wait for me, then,” Taemin laughs, but again, Minho notices it.

Taemin does differently when he talks to me.

 

 

After they finished the dinner, Taemin offers a help to wash the dishes and Mrs. Choi clearly welcomes the idea. She says she wants to take a bath, and leaves the rest to Taemin.

Minho watches as the skinny figure is washing dirty plates patiently.

He walks forwards, not trying to make any sound.

“ Hey.”

And Taemin gasps in shock, for the second time.

“ H – hyung,” He sighs, almost dropping the plate. “ You’re scaring me.”

“ Sorry,” Minho mumbles, “ I am thinking if I can help you. This is my house, so it won’t be good if I’m just sitting there and watching.”

“ No need,” Taemin softly says as he looks at the washed plate, “ I am about to finish, and..”

That time, Minho finally snaps.

“ Why aren’t you looking at me when we speak?”

Taemin pauses, and his adam apple bobs. “ Wh.. what do you mean?” he asks as he pours water onto the plate and places it together with the clean utensils.

“ See?” Minho hisses, “ You always avert your eyes – well, when we talk, we’re supposed to look at each other’s eyes because that’s how people talk, right?!”

He is fully aware that most people will hate it when the other parties purposely avert their eyes to avoid eye contact.

“ I am not..”

Taemin’s whimper causes Minho leash out his anger.

“ So why won’t you look at me!

The younger boy gulped again, eyelids fluttering almost close.

“ You were the one who said that..”

Perhaps, Minho hasn’t gotten used to the fact that this boy is slowly walking into his life.

“ ‘Don’t look at me with those eyes’.”

Minho looks stupefied at the answer.

Feeling the grip slowly loosening, Taemin snaps away.

“ Omo, kids? Why are you facing each other quietly like that?” Just in time, Mrs. Choi walks into the kitchen and blinks. “ Are you okay?”

“ Yeah,” Taemin forces a smile. “ We are really fine.”

“ Okay..”  Mrs. Choi doesn’t seem to believe them in the first place but she buys it eventually. She dries her wet hair with a towel and says, “ Taemin, could you please buy some drinks? We are running out.. And Minho, go accompany him.”

Minho glances at the younger boy and shakes his head.

“ No,” Minho quietly answers, “ I want to.. sleep.”

“ Minho!”

Taemin becomes panic as he rushes forwards and cuts off. “ I’ll go alone. Minho said that he is having a headache so it’s better for him to rest!”

Mrs. Choi gazes at her son looking irritated but she complies. Minho looks away and ascends upstairs towards his room. Taemin endures the pang in his heart when he hears the door slammed close. Mrs. Choi rolls her eyes and murmures, “ Sweet heart, I know Minho is pretty stubborn.. I don’t know what happened, but if he is really having a headache, it’s okay, but if it’s the otherwise..”

“ No,” Taemin quickly says, “ I’m fine. He needs to rest, really.”

“ Okay, then,” She smiles, “ No need to hurry buying the drinks, baby. It’s for tomorrow, so you can take your time without rushing yourself.”

 

 

“ Thank you for coming to our store, Sir!”

Taemin slightly nods with a smile, earning a squeal from the female cashier, and walks out whilst carrying a plastic bag. He looks up at the dark sky and lets the cool breeze scrap his skin. He forgets to bring his jacket so he shivers pretty badly, but he knows he can endure this.

He just needs a longer time to walk.

Who said not to look at his eyes..

Taemin clenches the grip tighter on the plastic bag. His mind goes blank and he can’t catch up other pedestrians’ walk so it can be seen that he walks much slower than them.

He really wishes time to stop now.

There’re times when he can’t really understand Minho’s mind.

Sometimes maybe, Taemin assumes that he really hates him, for suddenly appearing in his life.

Taemin only wants to stay by his side, even if they are not engaged. This is like, a special bonus for Taemin to have this sort of relationship with the man he adores.

Or maybe it causes pain for both sides.

Maybe what Minho really meant that time was, ‘don’t look at me with that longing gaze’.

Maybe Taemin misinterpreted his intention.

Maybe Taemin should apologize.

Or maybe we can go back to the time when I didn’t really look too obvious watching him.

 

When Taemin is too busy being drowned into his own thoughts, he doesn’t realize that two men are trailing behind him..

Until he is cornered to a very quiet alley.

 

 

Minho feels uneasy, recently.

He knows that he is not supposed to hate Taemin because that boy doesn’t try to harm him; he just stays being shy and nervous, all timid.

Probably because they can’t equate their paces, be it in speaking, thinking, or taking an action, Minho doesn’t know what to do.

The other reason is Minho hasn’t gotten over the fact he is engaged and lives with Taemin.

But maybe it’s also my fault that he doesn’t want to look at me..

Minho closes his eyes.

I was the one who told him so.

Then again, he wonders if it is bothering him because it was him who thought that they weren’t even compatible – they are totally the opposite, right?

Maybe it’s because he can’t stand being all guilty and responsible of something he has done.

Should I apologize?

 

“ Minho? Are you still sleeping, honey?”

Minho rises up from his bed and speaks, “ Come in, mom.”

She opens the door carefully and shows her upper body through the crack, looking worried. “ It’s already hour and half but Taemin hasn’t returned. The nearest convenience store only needs ten minutes to walk but..”

Minho frowns. “ That is weird..”

“ I know you’re tired, but Minho.. could you please look for him?” Mrs. Choi’s voice fills with worry. “ it’s already 10pm, so..”

 

 

Taemin doesn’t know which is worse – being snapped by Minho or getting cornered because of these strange guys.

Taemin just noticed that they have been following him but when he turned around, he finds himself now trapped, his back facing the cold surface of wall.

Man, what a pain in the .

Taemin is not a person who’s good at fighting because he is rather skinny, so he has less power than mostly men have. He may be good at dodging, but it’s because he’s quite agile.

“ How about spending your night with us, sweetie?”

Taemin is fully aware that his appearance attracts so many people, especially men. He is often mistaken as girl, because he has a long silky brown hair and feminine face. It is not like he hates it, but it troubles him since it often leads him to some nasty erts who’re after his .

“ No, thank you,” Taemin rejects calmly, “ Someone is waiting me now, so..”

“ Whoa,” one of them smirks, “ Your boyfriend?”

What I mean is Mrs. Choi..

Actually, there’s a sudden urge to say ‘a fiancée’ rather than ‘boyfriend’. Honestly, if he didn’t think about the awkwardness, he’d probably feel proud saying that it should be fiancée.

Yet, again, maybe no one is really waiting for him.

Then, because of it, Taemin suddenly falls into a silence.

“ Not answering?” he chortles evilly, “ you have broken up with him, I see.”

When Taemin thinks about that, at least when someone goes through breaking-up, he or she has experienced a relationship before.

Whereas in Taemin’s case, the one he loves doesn’t consider the same way.

What should I do, then..

Minho doesn’t want Taemin to look at him, but when he obeys, Minho looks in a fury.

Maybe Minho is just getting frustrated over his existence.

So it’s already wrong about him staying by Minho’s side.

When I think of this way, it’s unbearably painful.

“ He can’t answer,” the other guy responds, “ well then, shall we begin the fun tonight?”

And much to Taemin’s shock, they begin grabbing Taemin’s shirt and tug it, ing one by one.

Taemin jerks up, he wants to shout so badly – but again, he only manages to scream ‘help!’ rather than someone’s name.

No one will care of me now.

Taemin gulps and begins thinking of a way to sneak for an opportunity – but to no avail.

Oh god, when I return home safely after they’ve done this, probably I’ve lost my ity..

He wants to cry. It disgusts him.

How can I face Minho if this ends?

Taemin’s fingers curl up becoming a fist, prepared to smack them with all his might – he doesn’t know if this works, though.

He shuts his eyes, trying to grab some sheer opportunities right there.

I don’t know whose name to call for help –

And when he thinks like this too, his mind floats to Minho.

Suddenly I miss him, somehow.

He wants to scream for Minho’s name – he wants. At least, probably it’d be wonderful if he could scream, ‘Minho! Help!’

Because it’d seem that Minho’d truly come to rescue him.

Like a knight in shining armor, in weird way.

Taemin’s heart feels as if it’s going to burst.

There’s no way he’ll be here.

 

“ Taemin?”

The three of them jerk as a flashlight comes irradiating them from behind. The two ert men gulp in horror after someone caught them red-handed.

“ What are you doing to my fiancée?”

Taemin’s eyes are wide open when he hears it.

That kind of familiar voice, which is deep and low – there’s no way Taemin misheard that.

“ Go away, or I’ll call the cops.”

And with that, they scurry off in hurry and fear.

 

Taemin’s legs wobble as if they’re about to give away. His strength leaves him as he scans the figure standing up tall in front of him.

He can’t believe it – Minho was looking for me.

Minho stares down at him.

“ Are you okay?”

That expression doesn’t really change, he’s still a bit emotionless and unable to express his feelings well.

But when Taemin sees a glimpse in Minho’s orbs, he can’t help himself from thinking..

Is it okay.. to think that he’s worried of me?

“ Yeah..”

“ Okay then,” Minho offers his hand, helping Taemin to get up, “ Let’s go home. Mom is really worried, you know.”

When Taemin welcomes the hand and grab it, he feels the warm touch. He slightly blushes, because he never had chance to touch Minho. Even though this can’t be directly said ‘touch’ in romantic way, but still Taemin feels grateful.

They walk almost side by side with Taemin lagging behind. His head droops; he doesn’t know what to do in such atmosphere like this.

He wonders if he should not start a conversation because he’s such a klutz around Minho.

 

“ You know, Taemin..”

When Minho’s voice calls him, he lifts up his face quickly and he can barely hear his heart thumping fast. “ Y-yes?”

“ Honestly, I haven’t fully accepted about the engagement, because you know.. I am straight.”

Taemin’s expression falls. He knows it already, yet he can’t help but feel disappointed.

“ Yes..”

What am I hoping for?

“ But I think,” Minho tightens the grip on Taemin’s hand, “ I don’t know yet, but maybe we can know each other better.. starting from ‘friends’.”

Taemin’s eyes widen and he looks up at Minho’s face, but he fails. Minho doesn’t look back at him. He continues walking forwards without ever looking back.

His toneless voice is still the same, but for some reasons..

He feels there’s a warmth lacing that kind voice.

And he ponders if it’s okay too.. thinking that Minho’s ears have turned slightly red?

Taemin chuckles quietly, feeling unbearably happy.

At least he recognizes my existence now.

“ Okay.”

Maybe..

He really wants time to stop for a moment, after all.

Like this.. when the time has come that I can walk by his side proudly..

I wonder.. how wonderful.. it can be..