So Close

I Survived A Korean Dating Game Show

It all started when her classmates in high school posted a video of her singing some english oldie on to Naver. Netizens started flooding her with compliments and some even started calling her an 'ulzzang'. Then, one monday morning she received a phone call from the most famous record company in Korea, AB Entertainment, asking if she was interested in being a singer. At first she was unwilling, but her family and friends all agreed that she was too talented to give up this chance and so she entered the company as a trainee at the age of sixteen. After training for two years, she debuted a year ago and immediately gathered an enormous fanbase. She seemed to excel at everything she did - dancing, singing, acting, modelling. Her warm and genuine personality also made her a media favourite. As of today, she is already a household name amongst koreans young and old. Pretty, talented and kind, it was impossible to not like her, which was why everyone did.

She was beautiful, and she knew it.

Her company often had her collaborate with different artistes in both film and music, and by the time a year had passed, she had amassed a pool of suitors with her charm. Of course, not everyone fell for her and there are platonic friends, like Key and Heechul and Hongki and G-Dragon. But boys from all over the place started liking her and she did not know how to deal with them. Hana's popularity with boys even caused some of her girlfriends to start disliking her.

Bom and Ga-In did a count for her and the numbers added up to sixteen of them. It felt like she was on a dating game show, where she had to eliminate them one by one and ultimately make a choice.

Jaejoong, whom she was talking to on the phone right now, was one of them.

No, rightfully speaking, he was not just 'one of them'. He was The One.

From the very first time she set her eyes on him when she first entered the company, she knew she liked him. And she did not know then that he too, felt the same way.

However, because of company restrictions, they are not allowed to date. Jaejoong especially had an image to upkeep. He had hundreds of thousands of squealing fangirls who would not hesitate to run Hana over with a car should he date her.

"It's hard to explain it but..."

"I'm coming over to your place tonight. Don't sleep yet, wait for me." Jaejoong's voice was so breathy that it always sounded like he was whispering.

"Do you want us to stay over tonight?" Bom drove into the parking lot of Hana's apartment and looked at Hana through the rear mirror

"Uh..no need to. I...I have stuff to do."

"Like?" Ga-In raised an eyebrow, "Go on a secret date with your Youngwoong Jaejoong?"

"Hey don't spout nonsense, we are not dating. We are just close friends."

"Right! I don't see you making out with Key." Bom shot Hana a knowing look

"......how did you find out?!"

"Well, you guys didn't close the door."

"And how did you get into my house without me knowing?" She folded her arms

"key under the doormat? Key told us." Ga-In offered, "He said you always leave a key for Jaejoong."

"Argh! Key! He's a traitor!"

"Hey! This is preferential treatment. We're your bestfriends too and we don't know." Bom pouted.

"Well, now you do." Hana narrowed her eyes at them, "But we don't do it all the time. It just happened that we haven't met in a long while."

"Two weeks is not a long while my dear." Ga-In coughed, "But seriously, how did it start? I mean, when did you two first kiss?"

"On my seventeenth birthday" Hana felt her cheeks flush

"Oh my god! That was....a year after you two met! How can you two kiss so soon! You two were not even together!" Bom blinked

"It was meant to be a friendly kiss."

"Riiiight." Ga-In rolled her eyes.

"But...but I really like him!" Hana had to defend herself

"Well yeah... He really likes you too." Bom had a faraway look in her eyes, like she was thinking about something, "Yoochun told me Jaejoong is crazy for you. Is he a good kisser anyway?"

"Yoochun would know. He's like Jaejoong's bestfriend!" Ga-In smiled, "why don't you two date? And yeah I'm curious too, is he a good kisser?"

"I don't know. Our managers would never hear of it. Plus... I'm pretty confused now. You know...Donghae..."

Ga-In and Bom looked at each other. Donghae adored Hana and was so nice to her that she found it hard to reject him. Also, because he was so nice, she felt attracted to him sometimes.

"Not forgetting Ji-Hoon." she sighed, "And by the way, yes Jaejoong is a good kisser." she remembered all the good times they had frenching in the changing rooms and on the car and in her room. The way he kissed was so forceful yet sensual...it made her blush just to think about it.


Her bestfriends looked at each other again, she was talking about Rain. He was the first senior that she worked with and she had always had a special affection for him but he left for America and they started talking less. He recently made a comeback in Korea and they have since resumed frequent contact.

"I feel tired thinking about this. See you guys tomorrow. Love you two always." she gave them each a peck on the cheek and got off the car.

"Wait!" Bom poked her head out of the car, "Come here!"

"Yes?"

"Have you..." she whispered, "had with Jaejoong yet?"

"No! I just said we are just very close friends!"

"Great. I always knew you were a girl of principles. Have fun tonight!"

"Have fun!" Ga-In poked her head out as well

"Right. Bye girls" she waved and turned to walk into the building.

After taking a bath, she peered at the clock, it says 12:41AM

She had twelve hours of training today before finally ending at 11pm and she was dead beat. If he was not going to come any time soon she would be fast asleep by the time he did.

Munching on a random bar of chocolate she found in her fridge, she dozed off a couple of times while watching a rerun of a variety show.

Soon, she heard footsteps. He's here! She ran to the door and opened it.

True enough, it was him. He wore a black tank top underneath a black blazer and was also wearing black shades.

"You look like you're going to a funeral." she remarked, moving aside to let him in.

“Yeah. Yours," he took off his shades, "if you don't come clean about the sixteen guys." then pulled her in and kissed her. She pushed him away, "Someone might see!" she quickly turned and went into the living room.

"I missed you." He joined her on the sofa and hugged her

She hugged him back, "I missed you too."

"So, just what is it about the sixteen guys?"

"Well..." she stuttered, "I'm not exactly sure if it's 16, it could be less... It's just that.. recently some people have asked me out."

"...and you agreed?" for a minute he became so still that he looked like a statue

"Not to all." she gulped, Jaejoong could get very jealous at times

".....who?"

"Jonghun..? He's a nice guy."

"That guitarist from FT Island?" he raised a brow, "The one you had a kissing scene with?!"

"Hey I already told you that was taken from an angle! We didn't really kiss." sometimes she didn't know why she had to placate him, it was not like he was her boyfriend....not yet at least.

"...fine. What do you intend to do on the date?"

"I wouldn't know. I'm the girl!" she exclaimed, "You can ask him"

What Hana didn't know was that Jaejoong had already lost his concentration after being distracted by her cleavage. He closed in to kiss her and she froze for five seconds before gently pulling back, "We can't do this anymore."

"Why?"

"Well, it's not right." she his cheek with her thumb, he had such a cute face

"But you always let me kiss you." he protested, lips curling down into a pout

"This wouldn't be fair to Jonghun... I promised to give him a chance."

He looked angry for a split second, "You belong to me...I don't want you dating other guys."

She leaned on his chest, "That's a very hefty statement you made."

He stayed silent, then suddenly he pushed her backwards onto the sofa, so that he was on top of her.

"I'm gonna make you mine tonight so you cannot date other people." he took off his blazer and threw it aside

"Hahaha! Get off me!" she struggled to break free from his grasp but he was obviously too strong for her, "Don't you dare try anything funny! I want to save myself for marriage"

He paused, and looked thoughtful for a second, "You are gonna marry me anyway so why wait?"

Both of them broke into laughter, then kissed for what seemed like ages before he finally stopped, "You look pretty tonight.", he smiled lightly at her, "Bootlicker" she laughed and kissed on his cheek, adjusting her nightie so she wouldn't look so exposed and indecent

He nuzzled her neck, "I'm serious."

"Okay, thanks for your compliment." she smiled, "But now I have to be careful or 800000 fangirls are going to egg my house."

"You could come and live in mine if that happens." He slipped his hand into her nightie and ran his fingers down her back.

There are always times like that when they cross the line so much that it is dangerous. They were supposed to be very very close friends, but the physical affection that they shared was always so strong.

"Man I'm so hot now, I wanna take a bath." he declared, "And you, better tell me about the rest of them when I'm done." he walked into her room to get a change of clothes. He visited so often that he left clothes at her place for convenience's sake.

She watched him as he strutted down the hallway to the toilet, he never failed to look like a model, even when he was all dirty and sweaty. Barely three seconds after he closed the toilet door, he opened it and poked his head out, "Do you wanna join me?"

Hana chuckled, "No! I already bathed. And I don't wanna see you ."

"Continue lying to yourself" he sneered, then withdrew back into the toilet.

She flipped open her phone to check her messages, and saw one from Heechul: [ Save me, Fishy and Bling are arguing. ] She couldn't help but laugh, Heechul always insisted on using nicknames. Fishy was Donghae and Bling was Jonghyun.

[ Why are they arguing? ] she replied

[ Bling used the photo he took with you at ABTown concert last month as his wallpaper. Fishy is jealous and claims that Bling photoshopped it. Bling is angry at that accusation. ]

She blinked and felt a strange sense of apprehension fill her. What is she to do?

Just then, she received another message from Ga-In: [ Just in case you two lose control, we hid condoms behind the potted plant in the toilet. It is a gift from Bom and I (^__^)v ]

Just as she made sense of that sentence, she heard an angry shout from the toilet.

"Why are there condoms in here?!"