Expectations

Rebound

Natalie got a high score in their exam. She was too inspired to fail the test. After the exam, Mr. Bartlet continued his discussion about retailing and how to look for the best quality fashion wear. While he kept blabbering about how a 900 dollar Marc Jacobs bag can be bought for only 150 dollars at other branches, Natalie looked at the clock and waited impatiently for the bell to ring. When the bell finally rang, she quickly carried her books and headed for the door. Camille followed her after talking to another classmate who wanted her help with design. When Natalie was out, she did not see Jake anywhere. She wondered why he wasn't there to wait for her 'til the class ended since he usually did that before. Camille asked her what the problem was. Natalie explained to her that Jake was supposed to eat lunch with the both of them. When he did not come, she became worried. Camille was getting hungry and Natalie didn't want to eat without Jake so she asked Camille if she could eat without her. She was planning to look for Jake, and the pool was the perfect place to start looking. Camille agreed to her plea. After dropping Camille off to the cafeteria, she went straight to the pool to check if she was right. When he went in, she found no one there. She thought of checking Jake's room but preferred to send him a text message.

 

          Where are you Jake?

          I've been waiting for you.

          You said we'll eat together.

 

She looked at the screen on her phone and realized the message sounded too desperate. She erased it and typed another message, one that wasn't too corky.

 

            Hey Jake. Camille and I

            are going to eat ahead.

              Maybe we could eat

                  another time?

 

She pressed send and the message was sent in an instant, but before she decided to go back to Camille, she wanted to check the showers first. Maybe, just maybe he was there. She went to the right side of the pool and entered the locker room. No one was there. She checked every cubicle one by one and she found no one. As she was about to approach the shower area, she giggled at the thought of seeing Jake . Just as she turned at the next corner, she saw a man with nothing but a towel on. She was facing his back and the man had no idea she was there. She realized it was Nate Walters. She wanted to move out quietly but at the same time, Nate hanged the towel to enter the third shower room. She froze. She could clearly visualize his round, firm with a little dimple on his right cheek. She gasped but realized that it was not the right thing to do. Nate heard the soft tone and faced to look at who made the sound. As he turned around, Natalie quickly covered her face and screamed. Nate, who was appalled, quickly took his towel and covered himself. 

"What the f**k!", he exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I’m really sorry. I was looking for someone. I didn't mean to—"

"—Did you see something?!!!!"

"Yes— ah — NO!!!" She was so nervous.

"F**k!!!! Didn't you read the sign?! This is the Male Locker Room!!!!!!"

"I know! I didn't mean to— I'm sorry!" She quickly ran towards the door and left the pool area. She was in shock. Her hands were trembling and her heart was beating fast. It felt like she was chased by a dog. She quickly entered the cafeteria and sat right next to Camille.

"Are you alright? It looks like you've seen a ghost?" Camille asked in a worried tone. "I'm okay. But I'm not sure if I've really seen it."

"Seen what?"

As she explained to Camille what just happened, Camille could not stop laughing. She kept asking if it was big or if it was bushy but Natalie kept denying that she saw anything. A few minutes later, Nate came inside the cafeteria. Natalie ducked her head and tried to look as if she wasn't paying attention at him. He stared at her so hard that she knew he was really angry. As she ate her banana, she couldn't help but stop eating, cause whenever she looked at it, she was reminded by something she wanted to forget. She was still wondering why Jake never came or replied. She was worried something happened to him or if he got sick or something. Suddenly someone pulled her arm and dragged her outside the cafeteria. It was Nate and he wanted to make sure that Natalie knew where she was standing. There was no one else outside and Natalie wanted to pee on her underwear.

"You better not say anything or I'll make sure you'll regret it." He sounded like a killer.

"I won't I won't. I promise." Her heart pounded like a bass drum and she could feel her hair stand up. Nate was so furious that his grip on her arm was getting tighter and painful. He saw her grimaced and he quickly let go of her.

"You should have known better. I heard you were smart, but what you did was way stupid. I didn't know girls like you can be so dumb." He wanted to hurt her. He wanted to show her a lesson. "If I were Jake, I wouldn't go out with you or waste time with you. I'd rather be with girls who are mature enough and who knows how to think. What a pity!" 

He realized she was very silent. She wasn't looking at him nor trying to give a sorry expression. She was looking straight ahead as if she was staring at someone from afar. He didn't know it would hurt her that bad since tears fell from her eyes. His face changed and he started to calm down. He tried to say something but he didn't know how to say it. He looked at her and tears kept falling. As he followed her gaze, he saw Rachel Andrews approaching the door of the cafeteria. She was dazzling. She wore a loose, gray top and tight fitting jeans. 

She had her hair on a ponytail and she was smiling. He realized that someone was with her as she headed for the door. It was Jake and he was also in a good mood. He turned to face Natalie who was trying to wipe her tears. She looked at him in the eyes and he was taken aback. 

"Yeah. I've known it all along. I was just too stupid to admit it to myself. Thanks for letting me know anyway."

She ran at the other side and started to cry. She didn't want to but the tears won't stop falling. She went out the back door and closed it behind her. She cried and cried. What happened? Was she dreaming that night? Was she crazy to believe it was a real kiss? She cried again. She wanted to punch the wall or hit a can. She wanted to scream.

 

 

Her heart was breaking apart and she couldn't find a way to piece it together. She wanted to drown herself or to jump on a high building but she couldn't afford to make such a stupid decision. She covered her face and cried some more.

"Don't cry…"

It didn't help.

"Don't cry…" The person took her arm and hugged her. She cried and cried. "You were right. I'm stupid, I'm dumb. I'm an idiot!!!!"

"You're not…"

"Yes I am Nate!!!!! You said it so yourself!!!!!"

"I only said that cause I was angry. I'm sorry Natalie."

As she laid there in his arms, all she could think of was the person who kissed her that night. Nate was good enough to accompany her until she stopped crying. He held her and he didn't mind even after what happened a while ago. He just wanted to stop her from crying. He realized that something was different about Natalie, one that other girls did not have. He was just wondering what it was. He couldn't figure her out and he wanted to. Something tells him that she was someone… someone important and it bothered him all throughout the day.