Tug of War

Rebound

Natalie just stared at him. "I said you can't be with him. You don't know him."

Natalie did not respond.

"Nat"

"Jake, stop. I'm tired. I have to go." When she turned towards the other side and tried to walk away, Jake grabbed her hand.

"Please don't do this to me Natalie." He stared intently at her.

"Don't do this to me? Why, did you ever tried to think about how I felt? No. You never did. Did you ever tried to show me you appreciate me? What gives you the right to tell me what to do? I don't want to keep lying to myself Jake. I'm tired of this. I'm giving up. I'm going back to my room!" She pulled her hand and turned her back. This time Jake wanted to show her how much he didn't like what was happening. He pulled her arm again and this time he kissed her. He kissed her real hard. She tried pushing him but he wouldn't budge. He kissed her some more. She pushed him again this time with a little more force. When he stopped, she slapped him on the face. "You can't treat me like I'm some kind of spare Jake! I'm not. I have feelings too! It's time I show you what it feels like to be me!" She walked away. Jake felt the pain on his left cheek but the pain he felt inside was much worse. 

How could he not notice that the girl of her dreams was just in front of her? How could he just let her walk away?

 

Natalie ran straight to her room. Camille was out again and she couldn't let her feelings out without her. She wanted to call her but preferred not to. Suddenly her phone rang and it was Nate. She quickly answered it and as soon as she heard him say hello, Natalie cried.

What's wrong? Nate asked.

"Nate. He kissed me. He said I can't be with you. He tried to tell me I should be with him. What is he trying to tell me Nate? I'm so tired. He can't keep doing this to me." She cried some more.

He kissed you! His voice was hard. He could not believe that someone like Jake could do this to someone so nice as Natalie.

"Yes. I slapped him. Nate, what's wrong with everybody????!!!!"

That's good. Calm down. He can't hurt you anymore. I'm here now.

 

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

 

"Natalie! OPEN THE DOOR! Please." Jake called out.

Natalie shrugged. She didn't know what to do.

 

"Nate. He's outside the door. What should I do?"

Wait for me. I'll be there in 5 minutes.

 

"I'm sorry NAT!" Jake exclaimed.

 

Jake was still at the door. He won't stop until she opens it. She kept crying. She wanted to open it but she can't. She can't be fooled again this time. He kept asking sorry while knocking on the door. A few minutes later, he was suddenly quiet.

 

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

 

"Natalie. It's me Nate. Open the door."

She knew it was Nate. She opened the door and she saw both men outside her room. Jake was quiet but he kept staring at Nate. Nate took natalie's right hand.

"Come'on. You're staying at my house."

When they were about to go, Jake grabbed her other hand. "Please Nat, don’t go" He begged her.

"Let's go." Nate was serious. He looked like he could punch someone on the face if Jake did not let go. Nate pulled Nat close to her but Jake still would not budge. Natalie looked at him. His eyes looked sad. He was begging for her to stay.

"Let me go Jake." She finally said.

"Didn't you hear her? She said let go." As soon as Jake let go of her hand, Nate took her outside and let her inside his car. He drove off so fast that they arrived right away at his house. He pulled her inside the house and up to his room. He let her sit down on his couch and he took a glass of water for her. He was scolding people who passed by. He was angry. Natalie sat down and realized that Nate was so affected. He sat next to her after a while.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yes. I am now."

"I shouldn't have left you there all alone. How stupid of me."

"It's not your fault Nate."

"It was. If I hadn't asked you to come with our swimming practice, none of this could have happened."

"I'm fine. Okay? You don't have to worry about me."

Nate calmed down. He looked at her and he realized she needed him and he needed her. She only met her yesterday but it seemed as though they've been friends for years. He didn't know why he wanted her by his side or why he wanted to help her that bad. Natalie was so important to him that he can't help but hug her again. Natalie just hugged him back. She realized it was good to be cared for. She thought of how Nate treated her after two days of being together. She wanted it so bad. She just laid in his arms and it felt good.

 

 

That night, Natalie slept on the sofa. Her head laid on Nate's lap. Nate did not mind at all. He sat there and watched her sleep. While he stared at her face, he asked himself, "Why is she  such a big impact in my life?" He brushed her hair. When he started to get drowsy, he leaned back on the ledge of the sofa to sleep.

 

 

 

"What? No. I can't take care of him now."

Natalie wondered why it was noisy.

"I know. Not now Kate… I'm really busy."

When Natalie opened her eyes. She saw Nate pacing back and forth. He was on a phone and he wasn't happy. What bothered Natalie was not about whom he was talking to but what he was wearing. Nate was only wearing a loose type, faded jeans. It was hanging at his hips and his crack showed a little. Natalie smiled to herself. She was used to seeing men without anything on top but whenever she saw Nate half , she can't help but remember their first meeting. When Nate suddenly looked at her, she quickly closed her eyes. She didn't want him to see her looking at him again. That would be very embarrassing. As she listened to his conversation with whoever he was talking to, she thought he had a girl friend named Kate.

"I know, but can't you at least give me time?"

"Please Kate. Not now."

"Okay fine. I will, but you have to take him right away before—"

"FINE! I'm sorry!"

Natalie did not realize that she fell asleep listening to him. She just laid there motionless. Nate placed his phone down after his conversation with someone named Kate. He sat on his bed and gave out a big sigh. He looked at Natalie and murmured something like "I can't lose you". He sighed again. After a while, he stood up and went to the cabinet to take whatever shirt he saw. He decided to wear a white shirt. He went outside in an instant and asked Lordes to call him when Natalie woke up.

 

 

Natalie woke up three hours later. She realized she had over slept. She did not know why she was so tired. When she stood up. No one was there. She went to the bathroom, but Nate wasn't around. When she was about to go outside the room, she realized there were a few things on top of the bed. She went near it and saw a note.

 

                Go downstairs after

                    taking a bath…

                                        N.

 

She looked at the stuff he prepared and she laughed when she saw a white brassier and laced underwear, a white towel, a loose white top and a faded type of shorts, a deodorant, a napkin and a pair of white sneakers. Since she knew right away that it was for her, she took the towel and went for the bathroom. She the shower and adjusted its temperature. She placed the towel on a towel hanger and took her clothes off. She went inside the cubicle after. While she was shampooing her hair and rubbing her body with soap, she couldn't help but do what she usually does when taking a bath.... sing and dance....

"You. Papa. Change your mind. Papa. Like a girl. Papa. Change her clothes. Papa. And you. Papa. Hmmmn hmmmn. Lalala. I don't know....."

She sang her heart out while swaying her hips. She continued singing.....

"Cause you're hot and you cold, you're yes and you're no, you're in and you're out, you're up and you're down, you're wrong when it's right......"

She formed what looked like a microphone with the foam on her hair and sang the bridge part. She was like an artist, at least that's what she imagined. She did not notice that Nate went inside the bathroom to check on her. He wasn't there to peek, but to surprise her. He leaned at the door, crossed his arms and smiled at how pathetic Natalie looked. He did not see her completely though, only her form since the glass was a distorted type. He just listened at her sing so bad that he tried keeping himself from laughing. When Natalie was finished taking a bath, she took the hanged towel and covered herself. She said to herself, "I think I should join a contest...."

When she stepped out of the cubicle, her eyes widened when she saw Nate smiling evilly.

"I think they wouldn't want to hear you." Nate said.

"How long have you been there?!"

"Awhile"

She shrugged. She couldn't believe someone heard her. "ARE YOU CRAZY??!!!! I was saving that performance!!!!! I can't believe you’re the first person who saw my talent!!!!!!"

Nate laughed. "Your talent? T'was somewhat like a curse." He went near her and she quickly held on to her towel. He bent his head forward and looked at her. She stared in shock as his face went near hers.

"Change quickly. We're going somewhere."

He turned his back and went for the door. When he was gone, Natalie let out a big breath. She formed a fist and swinged it to the air. It was a form of gratitude for being an .