Too Late

Rebound

"I haven't seen Natalie today. Is she sick?" Jake asked Camille who was ordering food by herself.

"Uh, yeah, she's quite sick today. I mean, she's not eating anything."

"What?"

"Well she's really not in the mood. She doesn't want to get up nor go to class. She said she needed time to be alone."

Jake wanted to ask what happened but Camille wouldn't say a word. She bought an apple and some salad for Natalie. After paying the cashier she quickly went back to her room while Jake followed her.

 

"You're still in bed?!" Camille rushed to Natalie's side. She opened the curtains and took the covers off. "Are you planning to die here?" Camille took the salad and placed it on the table. "You were asking about her? Here she is! Sleeping like some sort of baby! Since she's not planning to eat, why don't you feed her yourself! I'm going out. I still have a class." She said facing Jake. She took off and slammed the door behind her. Natalie just laid there motionless. She didn't mind what her best friend just said.

"Nat? What's wrong?" Jake asked.

Natalie remained still.

"You shouldn't act this way. Whatever happened, you shouldn't let it affect you." Jake waited for her reply. "Nat, don't do this--"

 

"You don't know how it feels."

 

Jake went near her and sat on the bed. He her arm. "I may not know how you feel but acting this way won't solve anything. Why don't we go out? Let's go to the park."

 

The park, why do you have to bring it up? She thought.

 

"Natalie..."

 

"You know what Jake? It because I feel like I spend my time thinking about someone who probably doesn't even care..." Her tears fell as she said those words. Did he even care? He didn't even try to call to say sorry or to ask if she was doing fine. Two days have passed and he never bothered seeing her. Her heart was breaking apart. She was falling for someone who wasn't willing to catch her. She was falling for someone who she thought would take care of her.

"Why are you doing this to yourself? This is not the Natalie I know and lo--" He paused before he could finish his sentence. Natalie remained still. Jake was fed up with her behavior. He wasn't taking it anymore. He carried her into his arms and led her to the shower. Natalie was trying to push him away from her but he wasn't going to let go. When she was finally in the shower, he quickly turned the faucet and kept her inside. The water was cold and she wanted to get out, but Jake wasn't letting her loose. She tried hitting him but the more she moved the harder he held her.

"Let me out!!!" She yelled.

"I won't ‘til you realize what you're doing!"

"Let me out! Let me out!!!! It's cold!!!" The cold water kept running. Despite being wet, Jake held unto her until she would realize what she was doing to herself. Natalie on the other hand just surrendered. She couldn't fight him off. She did not have the strength to do so.  She stopped hitting him and cried instead. The water hid her tears but Jake knew she was crying. "If you only know how it feels to be used by someone you're falling for..." She cried again. Jake looked at her with pity and longing at the same time. He took her by the arms and hugged her instead. As he held her in his arms, he could feel her sobs. It hurt him to see her break apart. The cold water hit them both but the warmth of Jake's caress comforted her. She continued to cry.

"Shhh, it'll be okay." Jake said calmly. Even if Jake only had a single idea of what must have happened, he knew saying such words would only hurt him, but as he felt her pain, all he wanted was to assure her of something he wouldn't want to see.

It will be okay, it will. He thought to himself.

She was still crying and for some reason he didn't want to let go of her. He held her there as she continued pouring her heart out. How could he have missed someone like her? How could he have let her break apart into pieces? She was on his grip, but he let go of her just too early... too early before he realized she was the one.