Hiding the Hurt

Rebound

"Can you please pass a soda?" Camille asked as she opened her hands. 

Natalie took one soda from the ice bucket and threw it towards Camille. "Where could your boyfriend be by this time Nat?” Camille laughed teasingly. Natalie gave out a frown. She did not want to be teased and she was not in the mood to talk about Jake.

"Just get on with your life Je-ni-ffer."

"Ughr! I hate it when you call me that, you sound like my mother!" 

Natalie laughed at the thought. Camille on the other hand shook her unopened soda and aimed it at Natalie. As soon as she opened it, soda leaked from the container and hit Natalie on the face.

 

SPLAAAASH!

 

"Camille! You—!" Natalie jumped over her best friend. Camille laughed while she laid on the sand. "You should have seen your face. You looked like a scared puppy on a trampoline."

"You're crazy. You know I don't like being sprayed with soda. It's sticky when it gets dry."

Crazy as she really was, Camille her best friend's face and said, "At least you taste sweet." Both giggled while they laid on the white sand.

"Hey Nat." Jake's body covered the sun. Both girls stood up and wiped the sand on their backs. "We thought you wouldn't come." Camille said with a smile.

"I'm sorry I'm late. I lost track of time."

"Nah, it’s okay. Nat waited for you for about an hour though. She said you'd pick—" Natalie hit Camille on the shoulders. "You're just in time Jake. Want a soda?"

"Ah, no thanks"

"The game ended 15 minutes ago." Natalie said as she went for the shade.

"Really Nat, I'm sorry it took me 2 hours to come here. My clock didn't work. I had to take a bath for 5 minutes." He joked.

"It's no biggy. I understand. Besides, you couldn't possibly wake up after being with Rachel."

"How did you kno—?"

"I figured you'd be late so I went to your room. I knocked a few times and no one answered. I decided to call you, but Dug and Chris arrived just in time. I mean. It was 7 in the morning. I guess the party was that fun for them. When they opened the door, I went towards your bed and well, you know. So yeah, I went back to wake Camille and the others instead. Sorry. I just wanted to give the both of you some space." Natalie took a cap and placed it on as she tried to breathe deeply. Jake stared at her for a very long time before he realized none of them were talking. "You shouldn't have gone there Nat…"

"It's okay. I just thought it would be funny to wake you up earlier than what we planned. That's all."

Natalie walked towards the water but she stopped to look at Jake, "Care for a swim?"

Natalie ran as the water hit her feet. She breathed the morning air and sighed in relief. She thought she'd break down into tears, but she handled it completely well. As she prayed a small prayer, Jake caught up with her. "The water is really cold. It's supposed to be summer!" 

He laughed as he waited for Natalie's reply. "What do you expect? It is water and it's not like we're in Africa." Both laughed as they splashed water at each other and continued enjoying the summer heat of Sunny Isles beach resort.

There was a chance they could bring back the old days. He knew she needed her but wasn’t sure he could keep up with her feelings. He was not certain if he wanted to tag along with someone who saw him as a prince charming, especially from a close friend. On the other hand, he did not want to let go of her. After all, she was still the one who stayed in a situation where no one else was there for him.

She knew if he came back the feelings would start to grow again. She did not want to lose him for the second time. If she kept her feelings to herself and acted as if she was just a mere friend that he could really trust, then he might stay and keep her by his side. It hurt but it felt better having him around.