Diversions

Rebound

"How is she?" Jake asked Camille who was trying to fix her fake eyelashes. "She's okay. She isn't handling it pretty well but she's okay."

Jake sighed in relief. "That's better. At least she's trying to be strong for herself."

 

"Hey guys! I'm not sure if I should wear the red one or the black one!" Natalie yelled from the bathroom.

 

"You'll have to pick one honey, or we'll end up staying here!!" Camille yelled back. "What's the big deal? She's still pretty even if she wore a shirt." She faced Jake to show her point. Jake nodded in agreement.

A few minutes later, Natalie came out in a tight fitting mini black dress. Her black heels made her legs look longer and slender. She faced them both and waited for their reaction. "Well?"

"5 stars for the perfect person wearing the perfect dress." Jake said smiling. She was drop dead gorgeous. Her make-up was light and her straight hair bounced like an advertisement from Palmolive®. She smiled as if she had no problems and smelled like the perfect Victoria's Secret model.

"I thought you wanted the red one?" Camille asked.

"Hmmmn. I was thinking. If I were to be in a club full of people, I'd rather show them that I'm not in love and that I'm mourning." She replied bitterly.

"Oh great. So you mean black is for people who mourn while red is for people in love? Then how do you describe violet?" Camille was still fixing her lashes.

"Royalty?" Natalie snapped.

"Hahahahahaha! How childish! So you mean I feel like a royal highness and that I want to be served by my servants at the club?"

"Don't you?" Natalie asked.

Jake laughed loudly. Natalie had a point. Camille wanted to be served and adored. Natalie smiled as she looked at her best friend roll her eyes. Despite their previous argument, she was happy Camille never left her side.

"Haven't you spent all day fixing your lashes? Is it really that important?" Natalie asked her.

"Honey, if you want to highlight your eyes, you have to have long and thick lashes. Since my hair is blonde, my eyes would look better with these on." She smirked.

Natalie sat beside Jake. She'd rather stay quiet than argue with her best friend. Camille kept talking about the perfect make-up for women like her. Even though no one was really listening, she still kept blabbering around. Natalie looked at Jake. He was handsome and he smelled good. As she stared at the guy she once liked, she couldn't help but sigh. He was with her when he needed her the most. It felt good to have a friend like him. Despite her past feelings for him, she felt totally comfortable having him around. Jake realized she was staring at him so he stared back into her eyes. As if nothing changed, she did not stop looking at him. Jake thought she was beautiful and she reminded him of what used to be. He tried touching her hair while still looking at her. Suddenly out of nothing, Natalie smiled. As soon as her smile showed, his heart skipped a beat. He was totally starstrucked. Natalie turned to face her busy best friend while Jake exhaled hard.

He placed his hand down and tried fixing his irregular breathing.

"OKAY! I'm done!" Camille exclaimed.

"Finally."

"Call Chris, Dug, Denise and the others. I'll call my friends. Let's party!" Camille said with delight and excitement. As soon as they were up their feet, Natalie thought of the change she might do to herself that night. She was doing this to forget someone. She was doing this to leave the memories behind. She wanted to do this. She has to. Making herself preoccupied with work and fun would help her forget who she was and what she was when she was with him.

 

They arrived at Mynt Lounge just shortly after meeting at Capital Grille. The music was loud and people were everywhere. Natalie's heart joined the rhythm of the music. It was cold inside but she swore to herself she wouldn't falter. Jake looked at her and sensed that she wasn't that comfortable. He took her hand and held it as the group went inside. They found a place they could stay and as soon as they sat down, drinks were being passed around.

"So check this out. The whole team is going to Tropical Point. We already booked five rooms for us to stay. We have to make this final guys! It's Tropical Point! It would be much more fun this time rather than last summer break!" Denise said while holding a bottle of beer.

Natalie looked at Jake. "When is that again?" She asked.

"Two weeks from now. You should go. I mean. We should all go. I heard that the team scheduled pretty good events for us." Jake smiled.

"Ohh, of course I'm coming. What will I do without Camille around?" She smiled back.

 

A few hours later, people were already at the dance floor. As the music filled the place, people started getting high with the consistency of the alcohol. Jake wasn't drinking that much. He was concerned of Natalie who was drinking way too much than before. Natalie was dancing to the music which she seldom does. She was smiling and laughing as if there was no tomorrow. Jake kept an eye on her. He was worried she'd overdo it.

"Hey bummer, why aren't you dancing?" Natalie said as she approached Jake. She was laughing at him as if he was a joke to look at.

Jake smiled. "I just wanted to look at you dance!"

Natalie laughed some more. "Me? Dance? I can't dance, but since the floor is full of magic, my body seems to be under its spell!"

He smiled. He wasn't planning on dancing at all. Not at this situation where he knew what she was doing to herself. He sat there as she looked at him. She realized he wasn't really in the mood to dance. She held her right hand up and bowed. She looked at him and said, "Dance with me Jake."

Jake smiled at how she reacted. She wasn't planning to move unless he would give in to her.

"Please?" She asked still smiling. Her plea was too strong, he couldn't just say no. Besides, it was just a dance. He could still watch her since he wasn't intoxicated. He went for her hand as she dragged him on the dance floor. The music's beat grew louder. Both of them danced to the rhythm. As she danced near him, he could feel his heart racing. He wanted her so bad.

"Nat?"

"Yeah?"

"Just the thought of being with you tomorrow gives me the strength to go on today..."

But she couldn't hear a word he mumbled. She was too busy dancing and listening to the music that went with it. He was thankful the music was too loud. Besides, he wasn't planning for her to hear it. If only he knew she was the one, then he could have held on to her as soon as he had her.