It Will Rain

Rebound

Both Natalie and Jake were staying at the sofa while they talked about Camille and Denise's little romance on the dance floor.

"I didn't know she liked Denise-type of men." Jake said as he stared at them both.

"Jake. She likes men. Whether it’s Asian, Caucasian or American, as long as it's a man, she'll like them." Natalie laughed.

Her head was still spinning from the alcohol she consumed, but as both of them sat there and talked about different things, her headache started to vanish.

"I should go get us a drink." Natalie said after a while.

"No. I should go get us a drink." Jake said immediately.

Natalie laughed. "Why don't the both of us get our drink? That would be better."

Jake agreed and went with her to the bar. He ordered vodka for the both of them as Natalie smiled with delight. As soon as they finished the shot, they decided to go back to their place, but as they turned to go their way, Natalie held on to Jake's arm. Jake realized that Natalie's face was pale. Her eyes were watery and her hands were cold as ice. She was shaking. "What's the matter?" Jake asked immediately. Natalie did not respond. She just kept on staring at a person sitting at the far east side of the club. Jake followed her gaze. As soon as he saw who it was, he quickly grabbed hold of her arm and tried soothing her.

"Look at me. Nat, look at me."

Natalie was still staring. He held her face with his palms and forced her to look at him.

"Natalie. You should look at me. Just look at me."

Her wet eyes stared into his. She couldn't stop her tears from falling. She was certain she saw someone who once stabbed her heart. Jake looked back at the person. The person looked back at them. As he stood up and walked towards the both of them, Jake took Natalie's hand and led her to the back door. She just followed while wiping the tears from her eyes.

 

Who was she and why was she with him? She thought.

 

They arrived at the back area and Jake stopped to look at her. He wiped her tears and hugged her tightly. "You shouldn't show him you're affected. You shouldn't keep doing this to yourself." He said as she listened. She looked to face him and forced a smile. “You know, he said those exact words to me when I was falling for you.”

Jake was silent. She did fall for him and somehow he was struck by the words she just said. He sighed, “Try to think of something else. Don’t worry, I’m here.”

Natalie forced out a smile, “I'm going to smile like nothing's wrong and talk like everything’s perfect. I will act like this is all a dream and pretend that seeing him is not hurting me, but as long as it keeps running in my head, I can't seem to do it all at the same time." She held her breath and held her tears. It was hard for her to see him. It's been a week after the incident and her heart still ached at the sight of him.

But who was that girl? Another girl like me? She thought again.

"Hey, stop thinking about it. You can do it all at the same time. I know you. You’re a fighter. You’re my Natalie.” He looked at her with assurance. He squeezed her hand and she let out a big sigh.

"So, why don't we go back and continue to party the night away?" He smiled in a caring manner.

Natalie looked at him and pleaded, "Can I just go home?"

"Okay. I'll take you home. Let me call on Chris so that I could borrow his car." Jake said.

"I'm coming with you."

"Okay."

They went back to the bar as they held each other’s hands, but as they approached their table, they found Nate, a woman and the group together.

"Oh! Just in time. We were looking for you!" Denise exclaimed. Camille was sitting right next to him silent.

"Hi Jake" Nate stood up and shook Jake's hand. "Nat." He smiled at them both. "I'd like you to meet Yvonne Wagner." Yvonne stood up and shook both Jake's and Natalie's hands.

"Hi, I'm Yvonne, but you can call me Yve." She smiled as she sat right next to Nate. Nate wrapped his arm around her as the group greeted Yvonne. "Why don't you sit down?" Nate asked both people who were still standing.

"Oh no, we're going anyway." Jake said immediately.

"What, this early?" Dug exclaimed.

"Yeah, Natalie's not feeling well. She might have drunk a lot. Oh yeah, Chris. I have to borrow your car."

"Oh sure man, but you have to bring it back. Denise has other plans tonight."

"Yeah sure, I'll be back. I’m just dropping her off anyway."

Chris handed the keys out to him. He quickly took it and said goodbye to the group. Natalie was too down to say a word. She just followed Jake and headed for the door. Nate stared at them as they went outside. He wasn't too comfortable with the sight. Have she gotten over him already? The thought of them together bothered him a lot that he forgot his job with Yvonne, the daughter of a rich man he might soon call father.

 

 

Natalie was quiet the whole time. Jake too didn't know what to say. He was afraid that anything he said, whether good or bad, would hurt her again. When they arrived at the dorm, Natalie said a weak goodbye and went for the door. As Jake stared at her walking towards the front door, he couldn't help but get out the car and hold her. 

"Nat..."

She faced to look at Jake. Jake went near her and held her hands. "Whatever you're feeling right now, always remember that you can always come to me whenever you need me. I'll be here for you."

Natalie smiled as his words made sense to her. Her tears fell and she knew that even if it was painful for her, a person like Jake was willing to share her pain. Jake wiped her tears and leaned down to kiss her forehead. "I should have done this before, but at least I know it's still never too late." He waved goodbye as he approached the car. As soon as he drove off, Natalie gave out a sigh. If only she could turn back time, but she couldn't, and her heart already belonged to someone else; someone who gave it all away. She was about to go inside the building when someone grabbed her arm.

"Why are you with him?"

She looked to see who it was and it dawned to her that it was the same man who broke her to pieces. "How could you possibly be there with him?" he asked again.

 

"You... never came back."

 

He paused to think of her reply. "I had to stay away from you!"

"Why? Was it because I was never someone you loved? Was I too naive?" She asked.

"No! You won't even understand! Don't you get it?! I have to leave you!" Nate said hesitantly.

Natalie's tears started falling. "Why? Why do you want to leave me so bad?"

"It's because I didn't fell for you... You tripped me."

Natalie heard enough. She wasn't going to take it anymore. She went down on her knees and cried. Nate wanted to explain to her what he meant, but it was even harder since he was afraid he'd ask her back.     

"If you’re not by my side, I can take it ‘cause you really don't matter to me. I was just playing around. I thought you would get it, that I was just there to help you with Jake. I was your rebound.  I wanted to help you get over him, but the stupid girl you are, you fell for me. That wasn’t supposed to happen. You weren’t supposed to fall for me." He added. Was it too much to say? Does he have to say more? What else can he do to keep her away from him? He wanted to hurt her so as to keep her from hurting more, but he couldn't just see her with another man, especially with Jake. How else can he survive? His mind was in a dilemma. He wanted her back but would rather hurt her to save her. But he didn't want her with someone else because he wanted her just for himself. Was it too selfish to ask for her? Could he ask her to love just him? How can she love him when he wouldn't be around?

"I thought you were different, but you had to prove me wrong; that you're the same just like everybody else." Natalie said. “Was there a time that you loved me? Was there a time that you thought I was the one?” She stood up and looked at him in the eyes. "I hate the fact that we weren't even together, yet you still hurt me."

He wanted to say he loved her. He wanted to say it was okay, that everything she had with him was true; but he couldn't just do it. He couldn't afford to tell her the truth. He knew she wouldn’t accept him. He knew his father had plans for him. He had no choice.

"I just wish for a moment, you could be me, and maybe, only then will you realize how much you've actually hurt me." She continued to look at his face. He wasn't reacting to anything she said. He simply stood there as if she was no one and her words meant nothing. He was a good actor and he knew it so well. It was a cold night but Nate's words were much colder. Natalie didn't mind the cold. All she wanted was for Nate to take his words back, but he wasn't talking and it seemed he just wanted to set her free.

"I'm letting go and that is a promise, but as I'm letting go, part of me is going with you." Her words hurt her but it was true. She had to let go of him. It was enough that she thought she was loved, at least he made her happy. She smiled for the last time and headed for the door. She forced to keep her smile even if Nate wasn't watching anymore. As she disappeared from the view, all he could do was cry. What was so wrong with telling her the real truth? Was he really afraid of losing her like he lost Haley? His heart was aching and he knew she was the only cure. He wiped his tears as he went for the car. Just like a professional actor, he wore a smile and acted cool. His feelings weren't important anymore. If he wanted to succeed he must play his cards well. He turned the music on, pressed the accelerator and sang, "If you ever leave me baby leave some morphine at my door..." He drove the car away from the school and continued listening to Bruno Mars.

Cause it would take a whole lot of medication to realize what we used to have we don't have it anymore.