What Matters Most

Rebound

Natalie woke up the next day. To her dismay, Nate wasn't there beside her. She peeked through the sheets and realized she was . She remembered what happened that night and knew her clothes were wet. She stood up while covering herself with the white sheets. She peeked through the bathroom hoping that Nate was inside. He wasn't. She went back to the bed and sat down.

Where could he be? She thought.

Normally, Nate would have a set of clothes for her. He did that before. She sat there for about 15 minutes and decided to go out. She thought he'd be at the patio waiting for her. She held the sheets tightly as she walked through the hallway. She was about to enter the patio when she heard noises downstairs. She thought she heard Nate yelling at someone, maybe another chamber maid, so she went down the stairs. When she was halfway there, she realized it was no chamber maid at all. There was a tall man with a beard. He was wearing a black tuxedo and his suitcase was on the floor. He looked furious. Nate also looked mad. It was as if he was trying to explain something. She didn't want to be part of whatever it was that started the argument so she decided to turn around and go back to Nate's room. When she was about to go her way, the man in the tuxedo suddenly yelled. "Who's that girl?" Nate’s eyes widened. When she turned to face them, she saw Nate's disappointed expression. The man stared at her still wide eyed. Nate faced him once again and explained. "She's just a friend dad."

"Just a friend?!" His father asked.

Just a friend? Natalie thought.

"Is she also one of your friends who always end up with white sheets around them? Another friend you play around with!?" His father was really angry. "I don't play around dad! You know that! She fell on the pool and had to—"

"Ohh shut-up! I'm tired of your excuses. You keep bringing problems to this house! What other good thing besides passing your profession can you give!!! Look at your sister! Why can't you be like her for a moment?"

"You always compare me to any good thing you see!!! Haven't I been good enough?!"

His father laughed sarcastically. "Good enough? All you've given me are problems. I could have strengthened our company with the help of the Baxter's but what did you do to our plan?! You ruined it! You've given me Daniel instead!!!"

Nate couldn't speak. He was afraid Natalie would find out. He didn't look at her. Natalie on the other hand, held the sheets in horror. She wasn't listening to what they were arguing about. She was looking for a way to escape from the horror of seeing Nate in argument with his furious father.

"Lourdes!" Mr. Walters called. Lourdes came out running towards the two men. "Give that lady something to wear." Lourdes nodded and went directly towards Natalie. Mr. Walters snapped at his son, "I want her out of here this instant!"

Mr. Walters took his suitcase and went to the south side of the house where his office was located. Nate stood there motionless and numb. After a while, Lourdes appeared with Natalie on her side. Natalie held her arm as she approached Nate who was still at the same area. When she looked at him, his face was hard. He quickly walked outside leaving Natalie behind. Natalie looked at Lourdes and she just tapped her shoulder as if saying that it will be alright.

 

As soon as she closed the car door, Nate quickly drove towards the school. He wasn't talking and Natalie couldn't help but ask, "Are you okay?"

Nate just sat there. His eyes focused on the road. "I'm sorry I went down, I didn't mean to Nate." She waited for his reply but he wasn't planning on saying a single word. When they arrived at where she was staying, Nate unlocked the doors and Natalie went out. As soon as she closed the door behind her, Nate drove off in an instant without saying goodbye. She wanted to talk to him about what happened but he didn't seem to want to talk to her. When the car was out of sight, Natalie went inside the building and went straight to her room. When she arrived, she quickly sat on her bed. She heard Camille on the bathroom so she waited for her to finish. She stared at a blank space while she thought of what just happened. Was it her fault? Maybe. Was Nate using her? Maybe not. Her mind was clouded with all that just happened. She remembered completely that one moment she was head-over-heels in love with Jake then the next moment Nate was all she could think about. How did she learn to like Nate so much that she had to sleep with him? By just the thought of Nate Walters, Natalie's heart broke. She wanted to cry but the tears weren't coming out. Was he really just playing around with her? Was he serious about what he said last night? Why was his father so angry at her? The questions started flooding down her mind. She couldn't think properly. She needed help. Camille finished taking a bath about 5 minutes later. She dried her hair with a towel as she approached the cabinet. When she saw Natalie, who looked like someone took a life out from her, she immediately went towards her. "Nat? What's wrong?" Natalie looked at her. As soon as she saw her best friend’s worried eyes. Her tears started falling. 

Camille quickly hugged her. It didn't matter if she wasn't properly dressed. "What's the matter Nattie?" She tried soothing her.

"I slept with him Camille. I slept with him!"

Camille tried telling her that it was okay, that those things happen, but Natalie just kept crying. She knew there was something wrong with what happened to them both. She didn't want to think that Nate was fooling around. She heard him say he wanted her.

 

"Natalie. It's okay. He'll be back. Maybe he's just pissed off. You don't know him that well. Maybe he's like this when he gets angry." Natalie nodded at the thought. Maybe he was just really pissed. Natalie calmed down and Camille assured her she was just over reacting. Natalie hoped she was. She wasn't letting Nate use her. She wouldn't handle the rejection. She knew she really liked him. Who wouldn't after everything he has done? Camille assisted her to bed and continued talking about how things would turn out fine. As she laid there and closed her eyes, all she could think of was the things that could happen later.  He could call her or visit her after cooling off, or he could do nothing at all. After a while, Natalie dozed off. She didn't realize that she was so tired. That evening, as she was sleeping, Nate on the other hand could not sleep. He didn’t know what to do. All he could remember was his father’s angry face and his stupid actions. He was always trying his best to please his father, but ever since that incident with his past girlfriend, everything changed. He did not know what to do. As he laid on his bed, he kept thinking of his father and Natalie at the same time. What should he do? He couldn’t just leave her after everything that happened between them. He couldn’t just stay with her either if his father doesn’t approve of it. He was so enraged with the thought that his head started to ache. He needed to clear his head and sleep was the only cure.