Homecoming Protest

Try Smiling

 

“You’re going to the dance” Dara told me. We were gathered in my room discussing the fact that I didn’t want to go to the Homecoming dance tonight.

It’s been a few days since the break up and I was feeling slightly better. “But I really don’t want to.” I whine falling back into a pile of pillows and stuffed animals on my bed.

“You’re going to have to face that two timing jerk and his whorish girlfriend at some point. What better place and time than the Homecoming dance?” Minzy asked hugging a huge stuffed penguin. I’m slowly realizing I’m really a child at heart. My uncontrollable love of skittles and all my stuffed animals showed it well. But I knew I needed to grow up and face this problem at some point. I just hoped that point never came. “I can wait to confront the problem.” I mumble.

There was a soft knock on my door and CL pulled it open. In the doorway my mother was looking in at me.

“Are you feeling any better Jordan?” She asked handing a small bag of M&Ms not skittles but good for now. I ripped the bag open and started to eat them.

“That’s not our current problem with her momma Taylor. She doesn’t want to go to the homecoming dance.” Bom frowned as I hid under my covers again. I knew what was coming next and all I wanted to do was curl up with my candy until the storm passed. 

“What do you mean she doesn’t want to go to the homecoming dance? You girls have been planning this since forever.” She said.

“We know but she still upset over the break up and we’ve been telling her that she is going to have to face it eventually. What better time than Homecoming? You’ll be crowned Queen and you’ll hang out with your closest friends.” Minzy smiled putting her head under my sheets to look at me. I frowned and rolled over so I was facing the wall. “She’s right Jordan, you should go. I’m sure you’ll have fun.” My mom said. She was only 35 and was 17 when I was born. She never got a chance to go to her homecoming and prom and didn’t like the idea of me missing out in any of the experiences that went along with it.


“But I don’t want too” I whine loudly. “Pleaseeeee!!!!” They chorused all jumping on me. I groaned loudly know there was absolutely no way I was going to win this argument. I mean we already bought dresses and shoes and bags and makeup in preparation for the dance. Me not have a date wouldn’t stop them from dragging me along. Knowing them they would drop their dates so that I wouldn’t be alone the whole time. “Ugh fine I’ll go”

They all cheered loudly together before I interrupted them.

“On one condition” They held their breath with anticipation for what I was going to say.

“No trying to set me up with anyone new. Please I’m not ready for that yet.” When the girls pouted I could tell I ruined whatever plan they had.

“Come on Jordan why not? You would be perfect with the guy we had in mind.” Bom unni pouted.

I shook my head and said “I don’t want to use some poor un-expecting guy as my rebound.” I frowned. That’s when my mom decided to cut in. “She’s right girls, don’t set her up with some one new so quickly. We don’t want her bursting into tears in the middle of the night do we?” She asked. All of them shook their heads no.

“Good now hurry up and get ready the dance starts in a few hours.” She smiled slipping out of the room.