Chapter 18: Distracted

Motivation

I took the seat next to Yoona.

"Hey Tiffany!"

"Hey Yoona," I greeted back. I wasn't really paying attention though.

Apparently, Yoona noticed this. "Fany, what's wrong?"

I turned my head to her and tilted it slightly to the right. "What do you mean?"

She giggled. I had learned that Yoona loved aegyo; both seeing it and doing it.

"I mean, you look off today," she said with a bad straight face.

I sighed and readjusted my head. "Yeah, its just--" I stopped myself. I couldn't tell her that my I was distracted from the fact that I wouldn't be able to share the room with Taeyeon.

I fidgeted with my fingers, trying to buy time while I came up with a good enough excuse. Luckily, before long, I noticed the professor walk in. "Oh look, there's Mr. Huang. We better pay attention," I said, readjusting my gaze to the front of the room.

I heard Yoona sigh next to me before following suit.

But I couldn't pay attention, even in Mr. Huang's class. Usually, I loved his class both because he always introduced fascinating topics and because he had a really fun and interactive teaching style. But I often found myself blanking out.

I instead, was thinking about our rooming arrangement. Actually, I didn't mind sleeping with Jessica; she was so soft and huggable, and her hair is always so silky that it makes a good pillow.

Well, this is important because I usually like hugging things when I sleep; the bigger, the better. And since Jessi is the same height as me, I can easily rest my head on her hair.

However, I don't think Jessi enjoys it as much as I; she always accuses me of groping her. Which I don't believe, because whenever I wake up, I find my hands where I put them before I fall asleep. Personally, I think its Jessi's way of making fun of my ADHD. But there were a few things that made me question this: one, Jessi never lost her straight face when telling me this, and Jessi usually has a horrible poker face. And two, Jessi was a prude, so she wouldn't be talking about this sort of thing.

But I wasn't the byuntae in our trio: Taeyeon was. And even she didn't anyone. Although sometimes...

"Tiffany!"

I started. "Yes, Mr. Huang?"

"Oh, just making sure you weren't asleep. Ok, so anyways, as I was saying..."

Mr. Huang was one of those teachers that didn't really give punishments. On the first day of being in his class, he introduced himself by telling a little bit about himself. He said that he believed that you could only advance through one's own hard work. Which also meant that he believed that something like falling asleep in class, or texting in class, only had negative consequences on you, and that was a good enough of a punishment.

I shook Taeyeon and Jessi out of my mind and directed my attention to our professor.

0*0*0*0

He dismissed us, causing the massive sound of shuffling papers and zipping of backpacks.

When I managed to put everything in my backpack, I headed to the professor's desk.

"Mr. Huang?" I approached him.

He lifted his head, looking away from the huge sprawl of papers on his desk. "Yes, Tiffany?" He claimed to have bad memory, so I was quite surprised when he called me by my name.

"I'm sorry about spacing out today. I was just distracted about something--" but he waved me off.

"Its ok Tiffany. We all have bad days," he told me, smiling reassuringly.

I smiled back. "Thanks, Mr. Huang," I said, turning around to walk to my next class.

"Oh, and Tiffany?" I turned back around. "If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here."

I nodded and smiled at him. "Thanks, Mr. Huang," I thanked him before walking out of his classroom.

Usually, a student would completely disregard a teacher telling him/her that. Not with Mr. Huang though; he was relatively young, only 3 years out of graduate school. Not only that, but, according to all the talk about this class that made me take it in the first place, he was an extremely laid back person, one who instead of giving tests, arranged debates every week or so and called those his tests, and because of this, he quickly learned what each and every one of his students were like.

Anyways, enough about him; my point was that while walking to my next period class, I was debating to myself whether or not I should tell him my problem. Even though I only knew him for two days, he seemed like a trustworthy person.

I caught up with Yoona, who was waiting for me by the door. "Hey Fany, what's wrong? You still didn't answer me," Yoona said in a very motherly tone, one that I didn't think she had because of her always playful attitude.

I stumbled on my words. Should I tell her? We were friends, right? "No, I was just distracted by something," my frightened brain told my mouth to say.

So Yoona decided to drop the topic. "Well, I have to head to my calculus class now. See you later, Tiffany!" she waved goodbye, heading off in another direction.

"Bye!" I waved back, heading to the cafeteria. We didn't have lunch yet, since we all woke up so late and therefore had a late breakfast, leaving Tae and Jessi to go to lunch together while I headed to my class. After that, since they both had another class together, I had to eat by myself.

Well, not totally by myself. While I was heading to the cafeteria, I met a group of classmates who were in my Theoretical Physics class. After introducing ourselves, we decided to have lunch together.

After meeting up with them, we headed to lunch. I guess it was some kind of awkward aura I was giving off, because Evan stopped and turned around.

"Hey, something wrong Tiffany?" he asked, looking back at me.

I snapped out of it and looked at the direction of the voice. "Oh, no, nothing. I was just distracted, that's all," I reassured them, smiling.

Evan just nodded, convinced by my smile, and returned to his conversation with Angel.

However, Angel didn't seem convinced. "Tiff, it's ok; you can tell us," she reassured me.

I sighed. "Yeah, I'm just a bit sleepy today," I made up an excuse.

"Oh, I see," she said, nodding.

"My friends insisted to wake me up at midnight to buy them midnight snacks; and after getting back, I couldn't fall asleep easily," I further explained myself since Angel seemed like the type of person who wasn't easily tricked by a smile.

Thankfully, she nodded in understanding. "Friends are friends, what can you do, right?" she said with a slight chuckle.

I smiled and nodded eagerly, glad she bought the lie. I really didn't want to explain to them what I had gotten myself into.

The rest of the walk there, which actually wasn't that long at all, consisted of Evan and Angel talking to each other while I followed behind, quiet.

I remained quiet all throughout getting our lunch, finding a table, and eating. Which was uncharacteristic of me, since I usually loved to talk. If there was something I wanted to say, I usually said it. I wasn't one to hold back my words; I mean, what's someone going to do? Judge what you say? If they do, then you're surrounding yourself with the wrong people. Or that's my opinion.

This case, though, wasn't holding back my thoughts. Well, not only that; I was too busy thinking to do much else besides put food into my mouth. Also, I also noticed the cute behaviors of Angel and Evan. Apparently, they're a couple, which only tormented me further.

What I would give to just be able to peck Tae wherever I wanted without being judged, or walk around with her in my arms without people looking at me disapprovingly. I, myself, am a good Christian, but even I got over the fact that I'm not attracted to men like the Lord dictated people to be. So why couldn't other people? Why couldn't they just accept the fact that love is love, and that's it? Why couldn't they understand that it was human nature to love and to be loved?

"Hey Tiffany, are you trying to kill your plate or something?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked down, and indeed, i was stabbing my plate, apparently still thinking that there was food left on it.

"Oh, no. I just blanked out," I told Angel, giving her my best tired smile.

She smiled back. "Well, Evan and I are going to go now. See you around, Tiff!"

I waved goodbye to them before following suit.

0*0*0*0

This happened throughout the rest of my classes. Unfortunately, not all of my teachers were as forgiving as Mr. Huang was.

I was late to one class because I was caught up at a poster board which had an advertisement about love advice. I don't even know why I was staring at it, since it probably wouldn't even go since one, they probably didn't know how to deal with my type of situation, and two, I probably wouldn't go at the risk of having bad rumors spread about me. And that's the last thing I wanted right now.

So that caused me to be late to my next class. And the class's professor I was late to was one of those professors. He taught one of those hugely popular "Intro to __" classes, or in my case, Intro to Biology, so he usually had a hard time controlling the class. So the way he dealt with it was being really strict, which even reflected in his very neat and professional looking clothes, and even in his slick and straight hair.

So I ran into his class, head low in hopes he wouldn't notice me, or care. But of course, he noticed me right away and decided to make a huge deal out of it, trying to be funny. Which of course, didn't work.

So I apologized to him, which is where I got my impression of him.

And the rest of the class, he gave me a hard time. And honestly, if this was how the rest of the year was going to go, I was not looking forward to the rest of the year. At all.

 

OMG I KNOW THIS CHAPTER WAS SHORT I'M SORRY D':

To be honest, this chapter's purpose (I'm pretty sure you caught this) was to show Tiffany's perspective on this. And it didn't last as long as I thought it would. Hmmm....

anyways, thanks for being so patient with me and waiting for my chapters :D <3

And as always, hoped you enjoyed!