The Arcade

Childhood Charms

 

I started walking down the street. The shops around me were all busy because of the after school rush. I got out my phone to check the time; it was only 3:30. 

 

I looked at the blue bunny dangling on my phone. I’m quite glad that Jongup and Daehyun kept their promise. I wonder if I should tell them about our friendship seven years ago... What if they remember each other?

 

I hit my head in frustration and stopped in my tracks. It was probably time for me to go home. I looked around to see where I was and something caught my eye; it was an arcade.

 

I haven’t been in one of these places in ages... I used to play with the others in places like these... I walked inside, some part of me hoped to see Jongup or Daehyun, but something made me doubt the idea. 

 

There were many different games. I could imagine myself as a little kid running around with the others. To the claw games... the car games... It made me miss them even more.

 

I walked around the arcade, touching almost everything. The memories were all coming back to me. Almost every item reminded me of something in the past even though it was a different place. I looked at the corner of the room. There was a pool table; reminding me of something that happened aged ago.

 

“Zelo! Let’s go over there!!” 

 

I turned around and saw Youngjae, Daehyun and Jongup running to a big table. We were so small that we couldn’t even see above the table. 

 

Youngjae pulled us to a table which we stood on top of to see what the older people were doing. The four of us stood there, watching them play on this big table where they hit these balls with sticks. I was so fascinated by the game, it looked fun. 

 

Daehyun looked at me and nudged me at my side. I looked at him as he said, “I think it’s called pool or billiards. Do you want to play~?” 

 

I nodded my head eagerly in reply but Jongup pouted, “I don’t think we’re old enough to play...”

 

I looked down with a sad expression on my face. Youngjae noticed my disappointment and placed a hand on my shoulder.

 

“Don’t worry,” he said with a smile, the three of us looked at Youngjae in confusion. “When we’re older I’ll tell my parents to buy a pool table so we can play.” 

 

Youngjae raised his pinky and added, “It’s a promise~!” 

 

I smiled and wrapped my pinky around his finger.

 

Jongup opened his mouth and yelled, “Yeah~! And by then I’ll be EXTRA tall~!!”

 

I looked at the pool table in front of me, even after all these years Jongup didn’t really get that tall. I chuckled to myself at the thought.

 

I suddenly felt like playing, but I didn’t know how. I walked up to the table and found another person already playing. I watched as the boy hit each ball into the holes, one shot after the other - he was good.

 

“Do you want to play?” I looked up and found the boy looking at me.

 

I shook my head furiously and opened my mouth, “It’s okay. I’d just like to watch. I don’t even know how to play...” 

 

The boy looked at me curiously and raised an eyebrow.

 

“So... Why are you watching?” he asked hitting another ball into the hole.

 

“Um... I’m interested in it...” I answered confused as to why I was actually watching him play. The sound of the boy hitting the balls echoed in the room. 

 

“You’re really good...” I said in awe. The boy looked at me and smiled at the sudden compliment.

 

“Thanks~ My parents have a something similar,” he explained. “That’s the only reason why I’m good...” 

 

I sat down on a nearby chair and watched the boy play. This time he got two balls in. I stood up in excitement.

 

“WHOA! THAT WAS SO COOL!” I yelled, my childish personality got the better of me. I looked at the boy and found him laughing at my reaction. Way to go Zelo... I scratched the back of my head and looked down.

 

When the boy stopped laughing he asked, “So... Do you want me to teach you?” 

 

I looked up at the boy who was grinning at me. I smiled and nodded like an idiot. The boy laughed again. I found it strange. I don’t usually interact with others like this...

 

The boy gave me a stick, which the boy told me was a cue, and taught me the basics. I felt proud when I knew what to do. 

 

The boy was drinking water as he watched me epically fail at hitting the balls - he even started laughing at me. Even though I was used to all kinds of laughter this one was different... It was like he was enjoying his time with me. I liked it...

 

“So...” the boy started, “Do you go to Kirin High as well?” 

 

I was surprised at his sudden question. Why would someone like him know I went to Kirin? I tried hitting the ball again before answering his question but after missing the ball, again I looked up.

 

“Yeah I do go there,” I answered and tilted my head as I continued, “How do you know?” 

 

The boy laughed, pointing at my clothes and exclaimed with a laugh.

 

“You’re still wearing your uniform! That’s how!” 

 

I suddenly I felt very silly as I watched him laugh. I completely forgot about my uniform. 

 

“Anyway...” the boy continued as I began playing again, “I’m new in town and I’m going to that school as well...”

 

I missed hitting the ball again, surprised at his statement. 

 

“AH! In that case...” I stood up and faced him. “I suggest you stay away from me in school.”

 

I didn’t want another person to get bullied at school... Although Jongup might be joining me. I don’t want a complete stranger to get hurt on his first day. He cocked his head to the side.

 

“Why can’t I?” he whined. “I don’t see a problem with you...” 

 

I didn’t know if I should tell him... After all he was new.

 

“Just listen to me. Don’t go near me in school.” I replied as I missed the pocket again. I scratched my head in frustration. 

 

The boy raised an eyebrow and touched my shoulder as he said seriously,

 

“Don’t count on it.” 

 

The boy grabbed the cue out of my hand and showed me a better way to position myself. I nodded and tried again watching as the ball just missed the pocket again. Again I groaned in frustration. The boy grabbed the cue from my hand again and hit the ball into the pocket in one clean motion. My jaw dropped in awe. 

 

“You have to teach me that!” I yelled from excitement. The boy laughed once again and handed me the cue. I grabbed it and started aiming again while the boy talked to me.

 

“So... how old are you?” I heard him ask, “You look too young to be in high school...”

 

“I’m actually a year younger...” I answered as I hit the ball before looking up at the boy. 

 

He pointed his finger at me and yelled “I KNEW IT! HAHAHA! That means I’m your hyung!” 

 

I laughed as he cheered. his cheers making me feel happy. Yet he wasn’t one of them... Maybe dad was right, I should move on... 

 

“OH MY GOD!” the boy yelled. I looked at him and caught him staring at me. “You’re one of the people who auditioned yesterday at TS! I knew you looked familiar!” 

I looked at him carefully, trying to remember if I saw him at the audition. Then I remembered. He was the kid that was reading next to me. 

 

“So... Did you get in?” the boy looked at me curiously. I sadly shook my head while I hit the cue ball. “Damm... They’re really not taking anyone are they?”

 

So he didn’t get in either.Neither did Jongup or Daehyun. I aimed at the cue ball and hit the ball with as much force as I could when I heard a phone ring. 

 

“Sorry... I have to take this...” said the boy, looking at his phone and moving away from the pool table.

 

I looked up from the table and watched the boy as he started speaking louder. I walked around the pool table catching parts of his conversation. 

 

“Don’t worry, I’ve settled in fine. Yes... I’m still studying...” 

 

I felt really bad... I didn’t think I should be eavesdropping... I pretended to aim when the boy came back, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

 

I looked up as he said, “I have to go now... I’ll see you again tomorrow?” 

 

I nodded as he started packing his bag. “What’s your name kid?”

 

I looked at him. I didn’t know if I should give him my real name. He seemed nice... But I didn’t know him that well. 

 

“Choi Junhong,” I said with a smile. I watched the boy slowly walk out of the arcade. I saw him take out his keys and I saw a glimpse of yellow. No... It can’t be. 

 

“HYUNG!” the boy at the door turned around “WHAT’S YOUR NAME?!”

 

“YOUNGJAE! YOO YOUNGJAE!

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Herro guys~!

 

I'm seriously tired and hungry XD

 

BUT I still posted here :DD

 

What do you think will happen~? Who do you think he'll meet next~? How do you think they'll meet~? Leave a comment below ;)

 

BTW~ I may not post anything for the next few days :S My cousins are coming over :DD I KNOW YOUR READING THIS!

 

I hope they let me update you guys while they are :DD

 

Let me know what you think about the story so far too~! :DD

 

Don't forget to subscribe~! :DD And to those who already subscribed THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU~!! ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆