A Chicken's Call To Action: The Rose Lantern Festival

His Dubuness

       "Onew! Get out of the bathroom!" Jonghyun snapped,"You have to be there in fifteen minutes!"
There was a moment of silence.
       "ONEW!" Jonghyun yelled at the bathroom door. Jonghyun heard something heavy lean up against the door.
       "I'm scared..." Onew whined.
       "No Onew, you're not scared. You are a NINCOMPOOP! And if you don't get out there.. I'm gonna eat DEANER!" Jonghyun threatened,"Taemin get the cast iron pot--"
Onew swung open the door and got into Jonghyun's face.
       "DEANER IS NOT DINNER!!" Onew yelled in a dangerous voice.
Jonghyun snuck a smile across his face.
       "It's not funny Jonghyun!" Onew screamed.
       "Thats not it!" Jonghyun laughed.
       "Then what is?" Onew asked.
       "I got you to come out of the bathroom!" Jongyun laughed triuphantly. Onew dropped his head.
       "Time to go." Jonghyun said as he forced Onew out the door.

       "Where is he? It's already 12:15 p.m.!" Eun Chae said to herself, looking around anxiously. She had been waiting since 11:30 a.m., afraid that Onew might show up early too.
The carriage from yesterday came rolling up and stopped in front of the restaurant. Onew and Jonghyun stepped out and Eun Chae walked over.
       "You're late!" Eun Chae pouted.
       "Onew was--" Jonghyun started.
Onew cupped his hand over Jonghyun's mouth.
       "Traffic was slow today." Onew said, trying to cover up Jonghyun's answer.
Eun Chae eyed the two of the suspiciously. Jonghyun shook off Onew's hand from his mouth and gave him a glare. All of a sudden Jonghyun clapped his hands together.
       "Well kids, keep it G rated, have fun and stay out of trouble!" Jonghyun said as he climbed back into the carriage. The carriage took off, leaving Onew and Eun Chae standing in front of the restaurant. They both looked at each other and smiled awkwardly, unsure what to do.
       "So..." Eun Chae spoke.
The two of them took the first step forward and started walking down the sidewalk. Onew cleared his throat and spoke.
       "So what is this 'Rose Lantern Festival' about?"
       "Well.." Eun Chae started,"This is Rose Kingdom as you know. And our founder of our country was in love, with Love! She believed that a rose was the ultimate symbol of love! And if two lovers wanted to meet, the would use lanterns to find each other. It was on this day that she met her love. It's such a nice story!"
Eun Chae smiled to herself and looked at Onew. At his blank, confused face.
       "What?" he asked, totally lost.
Eun Chae rolled her eyes and sighed.
       "It's a couples festival. Basically our version of Valentine's Day." she put it so a mind like Onew's could understand it.
       "Oh!! Now I get it!" Onew smiled dorkishly.
Eun Chae shook her head at Onew's stupidity and the two of them continued walking down the sidewalk.
Onew and Eun Chae approached their first event. They were the youngest 'pair' to come to the table.
       "Oh such a young couple.." the woman behind the table smiled.
Eun Chae and Onew looked at each other and then back to the old woman.
       "WE ARE NOT!!" they both yelled in sync. 
The old woman chuckled at Onew and Eun Chae who were blushing insanely.
       "W-what are we making here?" Eun Chae asked quickly to change the subject.
       "Well princess, we are making lanterns to set off tonight, right before the fireworks." the old woman giggled, revealing a toothless grin.
       "Okay!" Eun Chae smiled back.
Onew and Eun Chae made their lanterns just how the old woman taught them, and decorated their lanterns however they wanted. 
After Onew finished decorating his lantern, he comepletely zoned out and started spinning his lantern around, making air plane noises like a child.
       "Princess?" the old woman asked.
       "Hm?" Eun Chae looked up.
       "Before the fireworks, make sure to trade lanterns with your partner before you send them off... Oh!" the woman said,"Young man!"
Onew turned to the old woman with wide eyes.
       "One last thing..." the woman said as she handed Onew and Eun Chae permanent markers,"Write the person you love the most on the insde of your lantern."
Onew immediately took the marker and started writing something down on the inside of his lantern. Eun Chae looked at Onew and then smiled, writing a name down on the inside of her lantern as well.
       "Make sure you write your names on you lantern too!" the old lady instructed.
After they wrote their names, they bowed and thanked the woman.
       "Enjoy the festival!"

Throughout the whole day, Onew and Eun Chae did various activities. Such as fishing for ducks, ring tosses, popping balloons and taste testing various foods. They had little arguments here and there, but spent the day laughing and smiling. Enjoying every minute of it.

       "It's almost sundown Onew!!" Eun Chae squealed,"Lets go to the shrine! Everyone is gathering there to send off their lanterns.."
       "Okay.." Onew smiled.
Eun Chae and Onew followed the crowd and headed towards the shrine.
       "Should we like... hold hands or something?" Onew asked.
       "Huh?" Eun Chae was so excited to send off her lantern she didn't hear Onew.
       "Should we hold hands? I mean to look like a couple? Even though we're not?" Onew asked stupidly.
Eun Chae's shoulders dropped. The day had been going so well but why did he have to go and say something like that? Eun Chae sighed and looked ahead. Onew shook his head and took her hand in his, crossing his fingers with hers. Eun Chae blushed and smile to herself.
After a few minutes of walking, the crowd finally reached the shrine.
       "Trade!" the MC shouted through the speakers.
Onew looked at a girl, about the same age as him, who was standing right next to him, without a lantern.
       "Want mine?" Onew smiled warmly.
       "Sure!" the girl giggled and blushed at Onew's kindness.
Eun Chae's heart was beating so fast, but then she looked over at Onew and her heart dropped. He gave his lantern away. To another girl.
Tears started to well up in Eun Chae's eyes.
Onew's smile quickly disappeared when he turned back to Eun Chae, who had tears streaming down her face.
       "What?" Onew questioned, completely oblivious.
Eun Chae just stood there with tears still streaming down her face, waiting for Onew to get it.
       "Seriously.. what's wrong?" Onew asked, reaching out to grab her arm.
       "Don't touch me!" she cried pulling away from him, with more tears falling from her eyes.
All the lanterns were slowly let go and rising into the sky. Then suddenly, the first sparkling firework was shot off.
Onew stepped forward to comfort Eun Chae.
       "Stay away from me!" she cried harder as she threw her lantern at Onew and ran off, leaving him behind in a crowd full of people.
Lanterns and fireworks filled the sky as Onew thought about the situation, while looking at Eun Chae's lantern in his hand.
       "What did I do?"