Labyrinth: Chapter 5

Labyrinth
Haera winced as she dressed herself in her new gear in her new barrack.  Although she had woken up a week ago, she had been confined to the hospice with nobody to see her but Yiseul, the medic or psychiatrist or whatever. The week was well spent mourning the death of her mother, screaming at the top of her lungs at her lucid dreams and being confused at the whole situation in general.

All Yiseul had said was that she was now at Hidden and that Hidden had saved her. And now, she in return, she had train and complete missions. It was either that or death. The calm and normalcy on Yiseul's face when she spoke about it disturbed her. Was the girl really ignorant to death?

"Not at all, you'll see it a lot around here, Soldiers who fool around in class and die on missions. Well all of them would have died in the first place if oppa and the rest of the sunbaes didn't save them," she shrugged.

Again with this oppa. Yiseul had tried to tell her about Infinite and her new instructor? Commander? Some guy by the name of Emperor? And who are these Infinite people? She definitely heard Yiseul say 'Yadong'. Why the hell was part of Infinite?

Seeing the perplexed look on Haera's face, Yiseul laughed, "Dont worry, you'll meet Infinite now. They're pretty nice boys." Yiseul dragged her out of the dorms and crossed the lawn to the track. Haera shrank bank; aware of all the stares the girls were getting. Haera had been warned that she was the only girl, besides Yiseul, in campus. And Yiseul wasn't even training, she was a medic.

Haera stopped short and waved to a boy with extremely fiery hair and a childish smile on the field. His hair was matted with sweat and he was struggling to free himself from the arms of another boy who was shirtless, showing off his mouth watering abs and arms perfectly. Haera winced as the muscular boy kneed the red-haired boy and flipped him onto the ground. 

Surrounding them were three other pairs of boys in combat. At the sight of Haera and Yiseul, they all stopped and looked to a boy wearing a red band around his arm uncertainly.

Red-band guy's face hardened instantly. He walked up to Yiseul and said, "Shorts are going to give her abrasions. Get her some slacks. That's all."

Yiseul nodded and gave both the boy and Haera encouraging smiles and sprinted off towards the hospice. Immediately, Haera felt like bolting across with her. "Fall in," he ordered the rest of the boys and they all dropped their weapons and assembled in a straight line.

"I'm Commander Lee Junho," he introduced himself. She couldn't help but notice his small crescent shaped eyes, his natural boyish curls and the overwhelming amount of muscles on his petite body. "These boys are better known as Infinite. They're going to be your family from here on out, so introduce yourselves."

"Annyeonghasaeyo, Kim Haera-imnida. Please take care of me," she bowed.

Immediately the boys bowed back. A boy with small slits for eyes stepped forward, "I'm Infinite's leader, Kim Sunggyu."
The fiery red-head, "Jang Dongwoo."
Nam Woohyun turned out to be a smiling boy with artfully messed up hair.
Hoya; the muscular and unsmiling boy.
Sungyeol, the tall boy with the ponytail.
Kim Myungsoo, a short and extremely attractive boy with the coldest expression of them all.
And presumably the maknae, a boy with pretty features almost like Yiseul, Lee Sungjong.

*********************************
The awkwardness of it all was stifling. The boys just need more time, Junho reassured himself. He himself did. After the introductions, Infinite went back to combat practice but he was left to cluelessly teach Haera. How the hell was he supposed to teach her years' worth of combat in a few months.

Worse still, the girl didn't just look like a victim, she looked like a starving one too. She was extremely skinny, skinnier than Sungjong. It was going to take a lot of work to build up muscles in her.

Speaking of victims, Haera kept wincing when he had to touch her and automatically took a few steps back when he approached her. He tried his best to help her stretch, she was flexible, granted. But not strong. 

After just ten laps around the 400m track she had trouble breathing. "Don't bend over, it's going to make it harder. Stand up straight and breathe through the nose," he ordered.
*********************************

In five hours, while Infinite moved on to Krabis, swords and nunchucks, Junho was trying not to yawn, teaching her how to effectively block her ribs and vital organs. Once, he had spun her around and circled his arm around her neck, showing her how her defenses had failed but she had collapsed to the ground, shaking and trying not to scream from the memories.

He would have considered it progress since she had managed to block some of his offenses in just 5 hours. But it frustrated him immensely, especially when the fate of seven others rested in her hands. 

He cussed and spat at the ground angrily. Haera was exhausted and her body was screaming in protest.  She could feel her blood pressure fall dangerously low and the Commander was not helping with the temper tantrum.

Sunggyu clapped the Commander on the back, "Go and rest. I'll take over from here for today. She needs time, you can't expect her to be able to defend herself a from monster like you." Sunggyu grinned wryly, reducing his eyes to mere slits.

Junho nodded. Sunggyu was older and more patient than he was even though Junho stood higher than him in rank and experience. "Make sure you all get some studying in tonight too. Don't fall behind, don't think geography or maths won't help you in the Selections," he cautioned.

The boys of Infinite nodded and saluted as their Commander took his leave. Haera was left confused at the word exchange, frowning at the seven remaining boys.

Infinite ignored her and began to pack up their weapons into the specialized cases before flopping onto the lawn. "Oi, new kid. Wanna chill with oppa?" typical of The NamGrease.

Haera looked at them uncertainly till Sungjong gestured for her to sit down next to him. "Ahhh," he sighed as his head dropped down to her shoulder. "We finally get a girl around here."

Myungsoo scoffed, "Please, she's useless." Haera's face colored with anger. Dongwoo soothingly said, "Don't be mean, L, we all had to start somewhere."

"So...how did you all get here?" she tentatively asked. There was silence for a while. Haera met eyes with Hoya and his angry eyes and flinched. "Well...I guess, since we're family now, we may as well tell you," Woohyun smiled hesitantly.

"I was an orphan. I was lucky though, to have no family. Human Resources scouted me out through word of mouth and killed the rest of the gang I was in. Turned me upside down, Hidden did."

"They shot my grandparents. I worked three jobs to support us, a waste of talent, according to Commander Wooyoung. Hated them for a while for killing my kajok, but it doesn't matter now. I'm here doing what I do best," said Sungyeol monotonously.

"Me and Sunggyu Hyung are the same, we were trackers. The best sprinters in our school, kingkas you could say. Drugs, , you name it. So they took us," Sungjong said cheerfully. "Our family is alive though not of much importance. We've been here five years."

"Me and L were runaways. Starving. Near dead. Been here 3 years already," Dongwoo said nonchalantly.

Runaways, kingkas, a gang member. Took all kinds to make the world. Haera decided to ask Hoya bravely, "What about you?"

He shot her a look full of hatred. But she didn't back down and stated back with the same intensity. For some reason Hoya held a strong hold on her, she was curious and her protective instincts rose unceremoniously. "Same plight as you," he said finally.

Pain mirrored both their faces. The same terror and disgust reflected in their eyes. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "Doesn't matter, but that's what we're here for. To take down those people who think they can make others' lives a living hell," Hoya remarked.

"How many missions have you been on?" she asked. "We've been  on seven together. And then we've all gone separately with members of other groups and the Commanders as well," Dongwoo listed out.

"How many Commanders are there?" 

"Well, they change sometimes. But now most of the positions are held by OneDay," L mumbled, awe apparent in his face. "OneDay?" 

"They were two units, they're legendary. 2PM and 2AM, the best ever formed, human resources' best choices. Commander Kim Junsu of Special Ops, Commader Nichkhun of Foreign Affairs, Commander Ok Taecyeon of Combat: Defense Unit, Assistant Head of Human Resources is Commander Jang Wooyoung, Commander Hwang Chansung of Combat: Offense Unit and our very own Infinite Commander Lee Junho made up 2PM," Woohyun said knowledgeably. 

"Head of Internal Security and Communucations: Commander JoKwon, Commander Lee Changmin the Head of all Training units, Commander Im Seulong the Head of Intelligence units and their maknae, Commander of BlockB, Jung Jinwoon were part of 2AM.

They were super close and trained together all the time. Instead of having two leaders, they had one: Jay Park. He was the only one to rival Junho in OneDay even though Junho had been at Hidden longer."

"How long has the Commander been here?" 

"Almost his whole life. Since he was five." Sunggyu's words made her clam up. At 5, her mother was still alive and doting on her. The horrors had not started yet. But at 5, the Commander had been stripped off his family and trained here. Pity welled in her.

"So what about Jay Park?" she tried to change the subject.

"Well thats sort of how OneDay separated. The Captain found out about a plan of theirs and instead of just killing them, they were put in the Selections. The Selections are where they'll bring you to a forest pretty near here and you have to survive in there with nothing on you but the clothes on your . They'll only let one survivor return.

But something happened that week. They were all near dying and Jinwoon already went mental and tried to strangle Wooyoung. That much we all knew but the rest are pretty hazy. But we all saw OneDay lining themselves up near the mines, saw the mines blow up but only Jay died in there. The rest were pretty much near dead when the Captain ended the Selections. But they all pulled through."

"They nearly died again recently," Sunggyu said softly. "When we saved you."

"Why did you all bring me here? What can a girl do that you can't much less in Infinite?" she asked perplexed. 

"Nobody knows, but we all know this," Hoya said grimly.

"You're going into the Selections with us."

***************************
Oops I know, sorry one night stretched to a few days but I've been super busy with work and school these days:(

Also, nobody left comments last time! I'm so sad. Please leave me comments so I can improve:))

So comment and subscribe please<33