Labyrinth: Chapter 16

Labyrinth

Junho's eyes scrunched and tightened a little when he saw the captured man pacing around the room. His first instinct was to snap his head off for hurting Kyung but the others let him walk free for a reason. 

 
The man stopped pacing and stiffened when Junho and Jinwoon entered the room. In a chilly voice, Jinwoon remarked, "There better be a good explanation for this."
 
Wooyoung hopped on the spot uncomfortably, "C'mon hyungs, tell us already."
 
Junsu and Jokwon shared a furtive look. Taecyeon sighed and set himself on the floor. "I think," Jokwon began, "It's best if it came from you Commander."
 
His words had an immediate impact. Jinwoon reeled backwards into the door while Wooyoung stopped hopping. Junho's eyes blurred as the man's face suddenly siphoned into his old Commander's. The similarity was uncanny. How were they so unobservant?
 
Wooyoung made a strangling noise and Khun hugged him around the waist and sat him down. Jinwoon was erupting some gurgling noises and his head slid into his hands. Only Junho remained silent.
 
It was him. But how could it be? Every month he religiously swept their graves, laid flowers, shed tears. But it was, his face was a little marred, his hair shorter, spiked and blonde. His arms had slimmed and his waist thinner. His lips were darker and nose slightly crooked. But the eyes. The crinkles around it. The softness that was punctuated with a hint of sorrow remained the same. 
 
Commander Bang Cheolyong. Mir.
 
The MBLAQ maknae smiled slightly, "You guys look better."
 
Again, Junho remained silent.
 
*************************************
Mir watched helplessly as the two boys tried to cope at the sight of him. He knew Wooyoung  to be emotionally weaker than the rest of them. His mind went back to the days when he had to give the boy a Popsicle to stop the tears during a particularly bad break or fracture.
 
And then there was Junho. The one who reminded him so much of his own Commander, Rain. The first time he saw the boy, he was 11 and into his sixth year at Hidden. His eyes were always gaunt after a kill but it always brightened when he saw his Commanders and members; the loneliness he fears lost. Even now, he could read Junho like an open book. He might be silent but inside was a turmoil so strong like a storm. All those years in Hidden, even longer than himself, had taught him to lock himself like a vault.
 
Mir explained slowly, carefully watching all of their reactions. The fiery ones, Changmin, Taecyeon and Khun were blazing. The calmer ones, Junsu, Junho, Jokwon, Seulong. He could hear the gears in their heads whirring. And then Chansung, Wooyoung and Jinwoon. Those that needed time.
 
"The rest," Jokwon whispered. "Where are they?"
 
"They're out working for the Circle," Mir answered.
 
"I have a question," Taec snapped. "Who killed him?"
 
There was no denying not knowing the 'him'. "None of us," Mir said softly. "We tried to stop them from taking you all before you left the gates. But we failed, there were too many."
 
"I don't understand," Junsu whined. "Why did you join them? They tried to kill all of us."
 
"You don't understand, Junsu. This was all a test. To pass, you must survive. I had no choice. We had no choice. We are responsible for saving the human race, Junsu. Not fulfilling our duty is not right," Mir said. "There are women, children in the Underground. The process has already begun. If we do not do what we can, all will perish."
 
"This apocalypse you speak of," Khun retaliated, "When is it coming?"
 
"It is already here. The recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan, the Greece and Europe crisis, these are only a preview. In a few months, we will see worse."
 
"What about us? Did we pass the test? Why were we not chosen to be a part of the Circle?"
 
"I told you, Jay Park tainted you. You were all emotionally unstable and weak after the Selections."
 
They all stayed silent again.
 
"I cleaned your graves, you know," Junho finally spoke. "Is it really empty?"
 
Mir winced as a jolt of pain slashed through him. The mere memory was like physical pain. "Four of them are," he whispered.
 
Wooyoung erupted in another round of sobs. Chansung moaned and slid to the floor. "Who is it?" Junsu asked.
 
"Sanghyun," Mir sighed. "Our test to enter Hidden was the sword through the chest. Sanghyun didn't survive the test."
 
***************************************
Haera walked to the field on campus. She had been discharged a few hours ago and brought to Hidden by helicopter. She knew something was wrong when she saw the boys sitting morosely on the grass. 
 
"What happened?" she asked quietly. Sungyeol whose eyes were red and puffy turned away.
 
"L and Kyung got kidnapped. The Commanders went to get them and they're in the hospital now," Sunggyu explained. He stopped short when he realized who he was talking to. The urge to take them all away from the pain was overwhelming.
 
Haera's heart scrunched in worry for L and the Commanders. Her stomach lurched particularly at the thought of Junho. 
 
"When will they be back?" she asked. "The boys, not for a long time if ever. The Commanders' decisions. They told us we will join them soon. The Commanders should be back soon, the Captain can't notice that they're gone," Hoya replied.
 
A confused expression formed on Haera's face. Sunggyu was staring at her weirdly. So was U-Kwon.
 
***********************************
The basement where L and Kyung was held turned out to be under an abandoned house. Junho had slipped out from the room while the rest of Oneday discussed their predicament.
He felt suffocated being in the same room as Mir, he could feel Mir's eyes boring into him in that room. Sure enough, when he heard footsteps behind him, he was sure it was Mir.
 
"You haven't changed one bit, Lee Junho," Mir smirked. "Always the cool one, you were."
 
Junho stayed silent.
 
"Are you worried?" Mir asked.
 
"Why did he try to save us? Why did he not want to join the Circle?"
 
Mir sighed, his voice full of pain. "The Circle...is not a good place to be. To do what I do to people who have already suffered so much in their lives like you boys takes a toll on your conscience."
 
"What about your conscience then, Commander?"
 
Mir smiled a little and ran a palm through his hair, "It was a choice. When I passed the test, I was given a choice to join the Circle or Sanghyun. I chose to live. Millions will be wiped out. At least this way I can save a few, save our future. It is the only way to repent my sins. The rest thought so as well."
 
Junho smiled slightly at his words, "I've missed them."
 
"They do too. But we will be reunited before long. You've passed your tests, joining is but a choice."
 
"Will I...be treated differently there?"
 
Mir stepped in front of Junho and gave him a long searching look. "You are more ideal than the rest of us. You are vital to this operation. It will be hard, you will have women, money and everything you need but it's this," Mir lifted his hand to Junho's heart, "That you stand to lose."
 
"What about Haera?"
 
"There has been some discrepancies. She is a control in Hidden, the experiment's control. She and Hoya are almost the same. There has been talking about letting one go free," Mir explained.
 
"Can it be her?" 
 
"Then she will die out there," Mir said simply. 
 
"I cannot lose both."
 
"Then lose one now so you won't lose both when the time comes."
 
"I can't."
 
"Lee Junho. I've known you for more than 10 years. Has she perhaps moved your heart so much that you are willing to sacrifice your desciple?"
 
"I'm willing to sacrifice neither," Junho snarled in frustration. "I love them both."
 
"There is a chance they both will enter but it cannot be confirmed. Even in the Circle, your relationships are carefully calculated. To produce the most genetically ideal babies, your mating partner is decided. Illicit affairs are not tolerated in there, Junho. I've seen people die because of it."
 
"So make a choice," Mir stated. "This is all that can be given to you."
 
********************************
Oneday stood in a line, ready to say goodbye to Mir. Wooyoung's tears threatened to spill again. Mir smiled tenderly and patted his head, "Don't worry, Udongie. We will see each other before long. It's written in the stars."
 
Junsu scoffed a little. Mir smiled wryly, "Don't laugh, Junsu. The stars tell many stories."
 
They all said their goodbyes and hugged Mir again. Mir hesitantly stepped back, "The others, they will want to see you. When you are ready to join us, come with Infinite and Block B. We will join the welcome party to bring you to the Circle."
 
Jokwon smiled courteously, "Thank you, Commander. I'm glad you are alive."
 
"Me too," Mir smiled sadly. "But you have lost Thunder. I wish I could visit his grave."
 
"When you come back to take us, we'll find the time to do so," Chansung assured.
 
Mir's smile trembled slightly, "Leaving a brother or your disciples behind is never easy. You two," he looked at Junho and Jinwoon, "Try to keep all of you together."
 
With that, Mir waved slightly and turned around, sprinting away without a backward glance.
 
*******************************
Hello! Sorry I took so long to update! Anyway I think this story will be a little more Junho centered from now onwards instead of Haera. I want to develop their love line more but it's so difficult!