Hope

Lightless

 

 
"Good morning Mr Yong. I am Mr Jang's new doctor, Dr Lee." An unfamiliar male entering the hospital ward said. "It is a pleasure to meet you."
 
"Uhm... Same here, I guess." Junhyung replied, unsure of how to react to the new doctor. "What happened to the previous one?"
 
"He has been transferred to another ward, due to uhm... Personal reasons. You need not worry about it, Mr Yong." Dr Lee said as he came closer. "Anyway, let's get started."
 
"On?"
 
"Giving Mr Jang a massage. You don't want him waking up with cramps do you?"
 
"No..." Junhyung said as the two got started. 
 
"I really respect the two of you. It must have been really difficult." Dr Lee said with a warm smile. "You know, I had a brother just like the two of you. When he first introduced his boyfriend to the family, we were all very startled."
 
"Do you all accept him now?"
 
"Yes... But it's too late. He has already left the world."
 
"Oh... I'm sorry."
 
"It's okay. You know, before he died, my parents tried everything they could to make him normal again. As devout Christians, they brought him to church every week and the whole family prayed every night. One day, he came home with bruises all over. It turned out that the students in school found out about his uality and they beat him up. The teachers had also called him many names, and even embarrassed him in class. He was once innocent and sweet. But since the school knew of his uality, he grew up. He aged a lot and I knew he must have suffered a lot. His friends had abandoned him and everyone ostracized him."
 
"What about your brother's boyfriend?"
 
"He too was being bullied. The two actually still stayed together, and I was very touched by their love. And then, one day, we found a letter. He told us that he couldn't live in a world where he couldn't be himself. My brother and his boyfriend killed themselves. Kinda like Romeo and Juliet, huh. Killing themselves out of love for each other. After that, our whole family decided to be more open-minded and understanding. We didn't want to lose another loved one. I hope you and Mr Jang can live through this. Don't ever give up."
 
"I won't." Junhyung said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It had been only a few days but Junhyung could tell that Dr Lee could be trusted. He needed to meet his CEO that day but he knew that he could trust Dr Lee to take care of Hyunseung in his place. 
 
Junhyung tried to flag a taxi but no one would stop for him, leaving him with no other choice but to take the bus instead. Many whispered amongst themselves, occasionally pointing at him, and Junhyung knew that they were talking about him. He quickly got on the bus when it arrived, choosing to ignore the disapproving glance from the driver. But what could the driver do? It wasn't like he could kick Junhyung out of the bus. As the bus had quite a few empty seats, Junhyung decided to take a seat since the journey was going to be a long one.
 
Just then, a grandmother and her granddaughter stood by him, and the elderly glared at Junhyung. "Do you want to seat here?" Junhyung asked as there were many empty seats around the bus. 
 
"You should get off the bus! You are disgusting and you will dirty this bus!" The elderly woman said as she stood resolutely. The bus driver called for her to sit down as he had to drive off, but she wouldn't bulge. 
 
"Halmoni, why is this oppa disgusting?" The little girl asked the old woman. 
 
"Because... How do I explain it to you? He is... Well, different from normal people." the grandma tried to explain. 
 
"You should get off the bus! You are disgusting and you will dirty this bus!" the little girl said as she pointed to a man without his right arm. 
 
"Chaeri! Apologize to that man immediately! How can you say that?"
 
"I learnt it from you, Halmoni." the little girl, Chaeri, replied her grandma. 
 
"What?!"
 
"He is different from normal people."
 
"Chaeri yah! This is different!" The grandma said before apologizing to the handicapped man. 
 
"How? Halmoni?"
 
"I told you before. Man should like woman and woman should like man. This is normal but this guy," the grandma said as she pointed at Junhyung, "likes other guys."
 
"But what is wrong with this oppa liking another oppa?"
 
"Uhm... Well, because it is unnatural. Because male and female are made for each other. If people of the same gender are allowed together, then why do we need the other gender?"
 
"Then if people of the same race can be together, why do we need other races?"
 
"Well, I... I don't know! But the bible says homouality is a sin! Man and woman are made for each other to procreate, to ensure the existence of our species in the future. This is our nature. People of the same gender cannot produce any children. Thus, for people of the same gender to be together is unnatural."
 
"But if you put a woman who is like 40-50 with a young man, can they have children?"
 
"Well, it's highly impossible but-"
 
"So does that mean we should also ban old women from marrying? Since they can't have children and that's unnatural?"
 
"Chaeri yah..."
 
"If someone is homoual, what is the possibility of that someone to marry and to have children? Highly unlikely. So since they aren't going to have children, why can't homouals be together?"
 
"Although the possibility of homouals having children may seem low, but most of them are pressured into getting married, and many have children."
 
"Okay, that makes sense. But they won't truly be in love and many arguments may arise, and they may cheat and the sorts."
 
"But at least our species live on. Furthermore, after a long time with the opposite gender, homouals can become straight again."
 
"I too have something to say." A young man said as he saw that Chaeri did not know how to continue. "Look at this society where there are many orphans in the orphanage, barely living their lives. If homouality is legal, this problem can be helped as many homoual couples would adopt these orphans. Rather than trying to unnecessarily and forcefully over-populating this society, why don't we solve the problems of the ever growing number of orphans? An orphan's life is also a life. Getting adopted by homouals can still let them lead a much, much better life than in the orphanage."
 
"I really don't get the fuss over homouals. They too are human like us." Another random passenger voiced out. 
 
"Yeah. According the the Official bureau of health, homouality is completely natural and is neither taught nor learned. You are just born like that."
 
Slowly, more passengers started to voice their support for LGBTs, and Junhyung couldn't help but gain hope and strength. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What did I just write? Anyways, ITS A B2UTIFUL NIGHT! THE ALBUM IS OUT!