Parallel

Play My Way [Drabble & One Shot Collection]

HAEBER (DONGHAE x AMBER)

This was a prompt from MusicChibi's Write Like the Wind Writing challenge - http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/158312

Word Count: 761

- - - - -

The two laid beside each other, hands intertwined, snugged tightly between their bodies as they shared the small, uncomfortable bed. It was warm, she thought to herself. His hands were always much warmer than hers.
 
She loved when he wrapped his hand around hers. He might not have known this, but this insignificant act of holding her hand meant the world to her. It reminded her that she wasn't alone, that he was there beside her, walking the same journey she walked. 
 
With his thumb, he gently the back of her hand. It was soft, he thought to himself. Her hands were always much softer than his.
 
It's amazing that she wasn't bothered by his callused fingers. She might not have known this, but he always felt that his edges were much too rough for someone as gentle as her. That he was never worthy of someone as beautiful as she was. But all the same, he could not let her go. He needed her, for this journey was much too hard to travel alone. 
 
Such a tragic notion, it was, for parallel lines were never meant to cross paths. But theirs did. 
 
-
 
Amber hugged the trashcan tightly as she continued hurling into it. Though it was nothing but liquid, it was still disgusting regardless. When she finally had a chance to breathe, she quickly wiped the sweat from her forehead and the tears from her eyes. 
 
"Here," he said, startling the girl. 
 
She looked up to find a guy with a popsicle sticking out the corner of his mouth and another one in his hand. He motioned for her to take it. "Here, take it. It'll help." 
 
She was hesitant at first, but after realizing she was alone in this, his kind gesture didn't seem so bad. As soon as the popsicle was in her hands, he seated himself in the empty chair beside her bed and grabbed a couple of napkins and began dabbing her damped forehead with it. She was shocked by his actions, blushing as she shyly glanced at him. 
 
"Why are you doing this?" She managed the say, though it came out a quiet whisper.
 
"I've seen you in here several times now. And you were always alone. I've been in your shoes, I know the feeling." 
 
She just nodded and continued to eat her popsicle. 
 
-
 
They were startled by the doors swinging open and a middle aged woman in white entering the room. She looked at the couple and shook her head. Despite appearing as if she disapproved of their behavior, she secretly rooted for them, wishing only the best for the two. 
 
"Mr. Lee. If you keep spending all your time in here, they might give your room away," the nurse teased Donghae. 
 
He quickly climbed out of her bed and just smiled as he rubbed the back of his neck. Amber giggled at her lover's action. After the nurse checked her charts, she stepped out of the room for a moment and came back with a wheelchair. 
 
"All right, Ms. Liu. Time for another session," the nurse said as she assisted the frail girl into the chair. 
 
Amber glanced back at Donghae and shot him what she hoped was a reassuring smile. He forced himself to smile back at her. Even though it was hard, he knew he was her only support and couldn't let her see the doubt in his eyes. But who was he trying to fool, it was evident in her eyes as well. Her gaze was filled with uncertainty. It always was. But the two chose to be ignorant of the truth. They said 'ignorance is bliss' and these two needed as much as they could get. 
 
"Don't worry, Mr. Lee. You're up next," stated the nurse before wheeling his girl away.
 
Donghae chuckled bitterly. What were they thinking? The two were playing a game, a foolish one at that. It was a race. And the prize was one that no one would ever wish upon the other. Death. He shuddered at the thought. Theirs were imminent. Maybe that's why this game had become their means of entertainment. A joke. Their only rationale was to humor themselves with this inevitable truth, but the one good thing that would come out of this would be that they'd be together. They wouldn't have to leave anyone behind to suffer. They only had each other and would travel this path together. 
 
Such a tragic notion, it was, for parallel lines were never meant to cross paths. But theirs did. 
 
- - - - - 
please comment and subscribe