Person Who Commits A Crime

Everlasting Facade

 

Cheondung passes the hot coffee to him. He brings up his sad looks and receives it with both of his hands. Silently he sips the hot coffee even though it’s hurting his tongue.

“Cheolyong-ah, let the coffee cool down first.”  The older advices but he didn’t stop drinks the coffee. Instead, he drinks it with rushed until there’s no more drops. Cheondung can only observes him hurting himself, physically.

“Finally, she left…” He stares at mug he holds.

“You still have Jia and me right?” He smiles, pats Cheolyong’s shoulder.

“Yeah.” He agrees.

“You rest here for a while. I’ll clean you room.”

Cheondung stands up and walks to Cheolyong’s room. He picks up the trash and throws in the dustbin. As he roams his eyes in the roam, he realizes everything was scattered messily. The books on the shelves weren’t placed well.

Sometimes Cheondung wonders how can Cheolyong stands with his mom attitudes. She sure changed a lot after Cheolyong’s father died. Cheolyong really have tough life.

Suddenly, something caught his eyes. An old camera. He curves a smile, reminisces their memories when they were in high school. They used to take a lot of pictures with this camera. This camera also means a lot to Cheolyong because it was from his father.

Cheondung takes the camera and blow on it as it has dusts. Cheondung pushes the on button and push the gallery button to look at the photos. It’s been a long time he haven’t seen those pictures. Excited fills in his heart.

-

“Cheolyong.”

“What is it?” He answers while puts the mug on the sink. He washes the mug with the soap.

“Do you remember you get a box filled with Jia’s pictures?” His hands stop washing.

“Ye-yeah. Why?” He hesitates to answer. His body in heat, his hands was sweating,

“Where did you put those pictures?”

“I- I burn those pictures.”

He did. He burned all those pictures before others can see it. The pictures which only give him haunted feelings in the past.

“Then, care you to tell me how did you get these photos?” Cheondung walks towards him while holding his old camera. His friend gives him stern looks.

Cheolyong’s eyes widen, his heartbeat beats rapidly, his knees trembles, cannot stands straight. His lips left open but nothing mutters while his eyes began to wet.

“Please don’t tell me you don’t know how these photos get inside your camera.” His voice sounds serious. Cheolyong gazes his friend’s eyes.

“Nana didn’t tell you about Jia’s incident right?” His friend glares at him while his increasing his voice. He still stays silent.

“Tell me!” Cheondung loses his patience. Even though he didn’t want to know the truth, he has to. For sake of his friend, Jia.

“She- she didn’t tell me. I found out by myself.” He mutters, trembling.

“How? No one knows about it besides Jia’s family and me.” His voice getting louder.

“…” Cheolyong brings down his sight, looking at the floor. He bits his lips, sobbing quietly.

“Because… I’m involved in her incident.” His tears flows to his cheek, he kneels.

Cheondung can’t believe what he heard. This cannot be happening.  He scoffs; he loses his grip from the camera which makes the camera falls on the floor.

“What did you to her?” Cheondung makes a fist, gripping it’s tightly.

“At that time, I really need some money- and suddenly, there’s a guy offers me a job. “ He laughs.

“He said it was an easy job. I just need to slip some pills in a girl’s drink and take photos of them. Because I was in desperate situation- I agreed.” He pauses.

“I didn’t think twice, I slipped pills in her drink. I didn’t saw her face at first but when- when I was getting ready to take photos of them, I realized the girl was Jia. I was stunned, I felt suffocated when he tries to her.” He cries.

“I did nothing when he her. I ignored her screams, her pleads and her tears. Instead, I took photos of her. She was unconscious- , her hands was tied while her body full with scars. I didn’t help her at her at all. After I took those photos, I quickly gave him the pictures and left them alone.” He cries even more.

His heart hurt so much, too much pain he has to bears in five years.

 “I’m sorry Cheolyong. I have to do this.” Cheolyong stops crying and looks at his friend. He was holding recorder all along when Cheolyong confessed.

“She needs to know the truth.” His friend slips the recorder in his pocket and tries to leave.

“Hyung, please… You can’t do this.” Cheolyong begs to him.

“She was tormented in five years, Cheolyong! How can you explain that? She thought her incident was her punishment because she defending her father. And now look! It was you all along! You were the one caused this incident, you’re the one tortured her. Please Cheolyong, I know I’ve said you can get one more chance but now- I’ve know the truth and I don’t think you deserve her neither her chance.” He says in sarcastic.

“I know but please just give me couples of days. I will tell her everything when the things solve. Please hyung… I’m not asking you to forgive me. Just this once.” He pleads to his friend.

Cheondung can’t even look at Cheolyong’s face anymore. His face and eyes already swelled because of crying. He knows it was hard for Cheolyong to face this with Jia.

But if Jia knows by herself, this problem will be going out of hand. He knows she won’t listen to Cheolyong’s explanation and will avoid him forever. She blames him for sure.

Cheondung sighs and watches at the ceiling, didn’t want to his eyes shed any tears.

“Fine. Two days.” Without hesitating, he walks away from him. He exits the house, he didn’t even look back. He really disappointed with his friend.

-

“Nana-ah, are you ready yet? We have to get there early.” Seungho calls her name, checking every room.

“I’m almost ready.” She descends the stairs.

Seungho curves his infamous smirk, staring at his beautiful fiancé. She looks really beautiful he thoughts. She chuckles seeing him been observing her while she walks down stairs. She walks towards him, faces him while pouting his lips.

“Why you smiling like crazy? Did I look weird?” She asks him.

“No, you look really pretty tonight.” He reaches her hands, holds her hands softly.

“Really?”

“Yes, but can I ask you something?” He entwines their fingers.

“What?”

“Is today special? You look different than usual.”  He asks her, curious. He teases her with his eyesglares at her playfully.

“No. You don’t like it?” She cling her hand on his and pouts her red lips.

“I like it very much.” He pats her hand.

“Let’s go.” He slides his arm and wraps her waist, pulling her closer to him. She nods sends him happy smile.

-

Smile. Must smile. She can’t see me in difficult situation like this. Cheolyong said to himself.

“I can’t do this.” He shook his head and tries to walks away but someone stops him.

“Cheolyong-ah”

He turns and saw Jia was slowly walking towards him. She wears pink long dress and she let go of her hair which closes her shoulder a bit. She looks pretty he wonders. He curves a proud smile, it’s been a while he sees her in a dress.

“So, how do I look?” She pulls her long skirt a bit.

“Beautiful.” He compliments her.

“Thanks.” Her cheeks becomes red, blushed.

“You know what, suddenly I felt like we’re flashback to high school again.  A prom will be held in high school; the guy picks the girl up at her house. The guy gets a corsage and gives it to her. Just like old time.” He expresses their situation right now.

“Yeah but in the past, you’re not standing in front of my house to pick me up. You’re pick up Nana.” She corrects him, she lowers her face with disappointed expression. He exhales and reaches her hand, gently pulls her closer towards him.

“Hey, I’m sorry for reminiscing the past that makes you felt you sad. I should think before I talk about it first.” He caresses the back of her hand with his thumb and brings her hands straight to his lips. He plants a swift kiss on the back of her hand and entwines with his finger.

“You don’t have to worry about her anymore. You know my heart is always yours right?”

“I know but for now, you and her still have something going on between you both. I’m worried if I can’t handle it like in the past.” She looks straight through his eyes, shows how depressed she feels right now.

He curves a smile and tilt up her face with his index finger.

“I promise my relationship with Nana won’t be long.” He caresses her cheek.

“But in this situation, I’m the one ask you to break up with her. It showed that I’m the one hurt her. I’m such a terrible sister.” She pulls her hand from him and cups her face with her hands.

“Hey, you’re not involved in this case. I’m the one make those decision and I’m the one the bad guy. You shouldn’t blame yourself.” He slides his hand and holds her hands, pulls it from her face.

“Now, let’s go meet them. I’m sure they’ve been waiting for us right now.” He entwines their hands tightly, didn’t want to lose her hand from his grip.

“Okay.” She nods.

-

Sorry, the person you’ve been called is not answering. Please try again. Beep-

“Why he didn’t pick up my calls?” Nana mumbles while punches Cheolyong’s number on her phone.

“Sweetheart, who are you calling?” Seungho wraps his arms around her waist and rests his chin on her shoulder. She quickly brings her phone off from his sight.


“No one. Just want to ask my secretary about my schedule tomorrow.”  She turns around and faces him.

“You have to relax- release all tension and forget about work sometimes. And I, as a person who cared about you so much, I will keep this phone for tonight. After party, I will give it back.” He slides her phone in his pocket.

“But-”

“There is no but. Now, let’s go and have fun. I want you to meet some my friends in college.” He slides his hand and holds hers with gentle.

“Okay.” She gives in.

-

“Okay, this is awkward. We come to this Seungho’s high class party and we didn’t even know single person in this event. Great.” Cheolyong mutters.

“Well, isn’t it should be nice since no one know us. It means, we can do whatever we want.” She came up with suggestions for them to spend their night at Seungho’s party.

“Hm, sounds interesting. I will consider it.” He replies playfully with her.

“Wow! Finally, you guys made it.” Seungho walks towards them while Nana besides him, tag along with him.

“I thought you guys won’t come.” Seungho shares his thought while Nana stands silently besides him.

“Why wouldn’t we? We should be glad Yang Seungho invited us to his own party.” Cheolyong replies.

“Then, I should be thankful to you for attend this party. Please enjoy yourself.” He curves a smirk while glances at his fiancé staring at Cheolyong and Jia.

“Let’s go Nana. We have guests to meet.” He slides his arm around her waist and pulls her body closer to him. She nods and glances at Cheolyong while he avoids her gazes.

-

“So, what should we do now?” Cheolyong asks her.

“Hm, I don’t know. I’m not used to with this occasion.” She pouts at him while he chuckles seeing her making face at him.

“Well, I have suggestion.”  He crosses his arms and leans his face near her. Her face was taken aback as his face getting closer.

“I say why don’t we join them?” He grins on his face.

“Join? Do you mean dancing?” She furrows her brows, terrifies.

“Yup!”

“No, no, no. I can’t. It’s scary to dance in front of people.” She shook her head while he holds her hand and tries to pulls her follows him.

“Come on, it will be fine. I’ll promise.” He persuades her to dance with him.

“Fine, whatever you say.” She rolls her eyes and follows his step to the crowds.

As they step in the crowds, Cheolyong starts dancing while Jia awkwardly stand and claps for him. He gives a faint laughs and observes how beautiful smile of her right now. A voice crosses his mind, reminisce his promise to his friend.

“I know but please just give me couples of days. I will tell her everything when the things solve. Please hyung… I’m not asking you to forgive me. Just this once.”

“Fine. Two days.”

 His chest feels burden when he think about his promise. It’s hard for him to tell her. He knows their relationship will end if he tells her the truth.

He holds her hand, playing with her fingertips and entwines them again. He pulls her in his embrace while leans his chin on her shoulder. She stops clapping and feels a slight weird feeling as he suddenly stops dancing.

“Why stop?” She whispers, hugs his neck while her fingers caresses his hair.

He pulls her closer to him and stares at the floor.

“Do you know, if you did something bad in the past, they will haunt you in the future?” He asks her.

“Are talking about random film or reality?” She jokes.

“I don’t know- Most people think this situation happens only in film. I still doubt about that.” He fakes a laugh.

“Well based on my opinion, he will be forgiven if he honest with his feelings and tells the victim the truth. Besides, I’m sure he already felt guilty about his crime.” She expresses her opinion.

He pulls away from her and raises her brow.

“How did you know the person is ‘he’?” He didn’t blink. Scares filled his chest.

“Random guess?”

“Owh. I thought you know-” He sighs.

“I know about what?”

“Nothing.” He denies and smiles at her.

“Hey, I need to washroom for a minute. Can you wait here?”

“Sure.” She nods.

-

Cheolyong gets out from the washroom and he saw Nana was waiting for him at outside. He really worries about her since he came to this party. He knows he been treated her badly but it was some action to make her loose her faith in him.

 He doesn’t want to give her hope so much because he and Jia just get back together. Even though he doesn’t want to ruins his relationship with anyone, he has to hurt someone or it will get worse. He has to take a risk.

Cheolyong brings his legs and take step by step closer to her.

“I’m sorry for avoiding you. I- I just couldn’t look at you. It’s really hard for me and I know you feel the same way.” He confronts her.

“No, it’s okay. I get it. We have to be secure around us since Seungho and Jia here. I understand.”

Cheolyong slowly reaches her hand and brings it to his cheek near with his jaw line. She feels anxious in sudden.

“No, you don’t get it. Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about us. You have a great fiancé and you have great career while I’m still at behind. Your future is on the bright side and I’m still chasing my dream to come true.” He pauses while she trying to figure out what is he trying to say.

“What are you talking about?” He bits his bottom lip and gazes her eyes.

“I think it’s hard for us to be together and I don’t think I love you any-”

A loud slap was heard. His cheek become red and it begin to show mark of her palm on his cheek. Tears was slipping from down from her cheek while he froze his body after getting slapped from her. He knows he already crossed a line. He shouldn’t lead her on if he knows he will break her heart.

They both avoid from each other gazes and inhales the air surrounds them passionately. None of them mutters a word from their lips. Only sounds of them breathing can be heard.

“Why did you do this to me? Did I do something wrong?” She cries.

“You did nothing.”

“Then why you did this? You told me you love me and we will get through with this situation together. And tonight, we’re supposed to spend time together, you promised.” She weeps.

“I know and I was wrong.” He says in calm tone.

 Nana wipes her tears off from her cheek and glares at him.

“It’s because of Jia right?” Serious tone from her could be heard as she increases her voice.

“She has nothing to do with us.” He denies.

“No, she always has. Since five years ago until now, she’s become our main problem.” She makes fist and grips it hard.

“Nana, you’re misunderstood. She’s not-” He tries to holds her hand but she pries off his hand from her.

“I’m not dumb! I know you’ve been seeing each other. Why everyone always choose her over me? Dad, Seungho and now you? Why? She just brings bad luck! She doesn’t even have life, she only depends on dad. Why can’t people see that?” She shouts. Cheolyong’s eyes widen, shocks at Nana’s words.

He scoffs ad giggles while bit’s his lips. He slides his hands in his pocket and smirks at her while she stunned at his action. Confused.

“Now I know why I choose Jia and not you.” He plasters a wide smile.

He leans closer and breaths near her ear. Her body shivers.

“Because you’re fake.” Her heart was pierced with dagger as she listens to his words.

“I’m glad I told you the truth because if I don’t, you still faking that you’re the innocent one. I thought I was the only evil person in this story but now, situation has changed.”

She makes a fist and starts to hit him but he reacts faster than her. He grips her wrist tightly.

“What? Am I wrong?” He chuckles. Her lips shut tight, don’t know what to answer.

“I will keep my mouth shut and pretends you’re the nice one if you stop curse Jia.” Her hand weak from his rough grasp. She shed tears quietly and facing the floor.

“Keep acting your role. I’m sure you don’t want your beloved fiancé to know about that.” He throws her hand with harsh.

He walks away from her and leaves her behind while she leans on her body on the wall. She caresses her wrist, the hand which he grips. Her hand feels numb after he grips it.