More Problems Surface

Everlasting Facade

 

Seungho roams his eyes everywhere, looking for his fiancé. Worries filled his body and wish nothing happens to her. He loosen his tie that been choking his neck for hours. Suddenly, he saw someone closes door. He rushes to the room and knocks the door.

Nana opens the door and saw Seungho was breathless in front of her.

“Thank god, you’re here.” He pulls her in embrace without a warning. He wraps his arms around her tightly while she stands steadily and hugs him back.

“Is there something wrong?” She asks him.

“I thought you’re missing since I can’t find you for 2 hours. I’m glad you’re okay.” He reliefs. She pulls away from him and stares at him with pleading eyes.

“I want to go home.”

“Why in sudden? The party haven’t finished yet.” He caresses her cheek with gentle while smiles lightly.

“Please oppa, I just want to leave right now.” She begs him, her hands grips his suit. His expression changes, seeing her mood changed.

“Okay. You wait here, I’ll go get your coat.” He holds her hands.

“Okay.” He kisses her cheek and let go of her hands slowly.

-

Seungho saw Cheolyong and Jia were laughing happily. It’s been a while he sees Jia so cheerful than being sad and depressed. Even though Cheolyong’s presence brings happiness for Jia but it didn’t for Nana. He has to put stop this unacceptable relationship and he already plan for it.

He walks towards the happy couple with his infamous.

“Hey.” He approaches the couple.

“Seungho, where is Nana? Did you find her?” Jia asks him while Seungho looks at Cheolyong who looks away from him while drinks his tequila.

“Nana suddenly said she wants to go home. So, we need to leave now.” He slides his hand in his pocket.

“Why? Is she sick?” She asks him again.

“I don’t think so since before we come here, she seems fine. Perhaps someone disturbs her emotions, right Cheolyong?” He asks Cheolyong while Cheolyong chokes with his own drink.

Jia and Seungho turn their head and give him their attention. Cheolyong wipes his mouth with the back of his hand and gazes them with hesitates.

“I- I guess.” He agitated, scratches his head. Seungho smirks while Jia watches him with worries.

“Then, I shall leave now. I don’t want to keep her waiting.” He bows at them and leaves.

As Seungho out from their sight, Jia places her hand on him softly.

“What did you do to her?” He exhales and bits his lips.

“I break up with her. I said I don’t think I love her anymore.”  He confessed.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I don’t think right now is a right time to say this. I’m sorry.” He comforts her.

“I also don’t think tonight is a right time for you to break up with her. Why did you do that?” She is mad at him.

“I just think that I should end this relationship before it become worse. Isn’t this what you wanted?” He asks her back.

“Perhaps.” She sighs, pulls away her hand from him. Suddenly she feels confused and question herself, did she really want this?

-

Seungho parks his car and pulls the break. He diverts his eyes to the figure besides him, sleeping quietly.

“Nana-ah, wake up. We’re arrived.” He shakes her body gently but she didn’t awake.

His lips curves a smile seeing how soundly she sleeps, he get off from the car. He opens the door at her side and with gentle he lifts her body like a bride style. He closes the door and walks towards the house while the door was open automatically by housemaid.

He ascends the long stairs slowly, didn’t want to wake her up. He pushes the door and it swiftly open by itself. He puts her body on her comfy bed. He takes off her heels from her foot and wraps her body with blanket, didn’t want her to sleep in this cold night.

Once he finish, he stands up to walks away but her hand caught his wrist.

“Don’t leave me.” She begs as she wakes from the bed while Seungho sits down on her bed. Her eyes look so sad to him.

“I thought you were sleeping? Don’t worry I won’t go anywhere until you sleeps, okay?” He pulls her blanket up to her shoulders.

“No, I want you stay here with me. Please oppa, accompany me.” She pleads again.

“I can’t, you know your father won’t let me stay here right?” He declines her offer, he didn’t want Meng Ruan feels that he disrespect Meng Ruan just because he soon-to-be her husband.

“Then, just say I’m the one ask you to stay here with me. If he wants find person to be blame, that person should be me.” She explains that she would take responsible for him. Seungho slightly chuckle at her, seeing her acts like kid sometimes even though she looks mature enough.

“Okay, I will stay with you. Like I said before, whatever your wish, I will grant it for you. Also,I will take the blame if your father mad about this. You don’t have to worry about anything.” He caresses her hand with his thumb.

“Thank you oppa, you’re the only person willing to help and support me whatever I do or whatever I want.” She smiles at him.

“Can I ask you something oppa?”

“What?”

“Why did you like me? I thought you’re in love with Jia five years ago?” She asks him with her voice from gentle turns to serious. Seungho furrows his brows and stares at her expressionless face.

“Listen, I know you’ve been checking about my past these years and I know you’ve been wondering with lots of questions in your head. Why did he get closer to you? Did he have agenda? Or is he wants to get closer with me because of Jia?” He pauses.

“And today, I will tell you the truth. Yes, in the past I tried to get closer with you because of Jia. I want her to get jealous when we’re together but after years passed, I realised that my plan didn’t work after all. And I also realised, I’m such a terrible planner because my plan didn’t work out and my heart also changed. I’m in love- with different person and her name is Im Jin Ah. She is in front of me right now.” His hand touches her cold cheeks.

“How can I know you’re telling me the truth?” She asks him again.

“If I don’t love you, I won’t propose you in the first place. If I don’t love you, I won’t stuck with you and be with other woman. If I don’t love you, I won’t care about you feelings. Lastly if I don’t love you, I won’t keep my mouth shut about your relationship with Bang Cheolyong.” He smirks.

Nana lifts up her face and gazes at him deeply, shocks. She didn’t realised Seungho already knew about her relationship with Cheolyong.

“How did you know?”

“From the first time you guys met in front of your office.”

“And until now you still didn’t talk to me about this?”

“I’m sorry for not telling you the truth but I’m sure you will tell me when you’re ready. I don’t want to rush you because I’m afraid you can’t handle it. So, no pressure. I’m free whenever you want to talk to me.” He gives her a happy smile.

“I’m sorry for not telling the truth. I shouldn’t do that to you. I’m sorry.” She bits her lips.

“Don’t worry, I’m not mad at you. It’s not your fault.”

“I don’t know what to say anymore. I don’t know what I can do to thank you for being understanding.” She cries.

“Then, don’t do anything. I will.”

 

He slides his hand around her neck and pulls her face closer to him. He turns his face and plants a kiss on her red lips. He kisses her, bits her lips gently while she replies to his kisses back. Her arms wraps around his built body. Her lips bruised a little bit after their kisses turns to passionate kiss. Her fingertips caress his jawline while he pushes her to lies on her bed. It’s been a long time they haven’t spent their time together and tonight, they sleeping in each other arms until the sun arise.

-

A loud noise came from the door. The person was knocking non-stop and wakes Cheolyong up from his sleep. He glance the clock, it’s only 4 a.m. Who could be visiting in this early morning he wonders. He rubs his eyes while get off from his bed. He walks lazily to the door and checking who came by looking at the windows.

His eyes widen after saw three build men in front of his apartment. He gulps saliva on his throat and leans on the door. He closes his mouth with both of his hands, didn’t want to make any sound. His heart racing while his eyes shut tightly, trying to calm himself but the method doesn’t work as he thought.

Why are they here? I thought mom already pay them back. He wonders.

“Cheolyong… Bang Cheolyong… I know you in there… Open the door!” The leader kicks the door.

He slides out his phone from pocket and dials Cheolyong’s number. Cheolyong turns his head and hears his phone ringing. He curse under his breath, they got him. He inhales the air and holds the knob, turns it slowly. The door opens wide, reveal three men in front of him.

The leader smirks, they walk in his apartment and lock the door while Cheolyong slowly take steps away from them. His body shivering, his face frowns in front of them. He’s not Brave Bang Cheolyong anymore but Fear Bang Cheolyong.

“When are you going to pay your mom debt, Cheolyong-ah?” Sangmin smirks at him.

“Isn’t my mom paid you already? I- I gave her money to pay you back a month ago.” He explains to Sangmin.

“Are you kidding me?” He glares at Cheolyong while Cheolyong grits his teeth, lowers his head.

“Sang- Sangmin-ah, I- Can you give me time to get those money? I really don’t have any money right now.” He begs at the tough guy.

“Don’t have money? What if I check first?” He scoffs, gives signal to his subordinate to go check in his room.

“Wait, you can’t-” Sangmin kicks Cheolyong’s leg which results him to hits the wall and fall hard on the floor. His head hits the wall hard and his chin also hits the hard floor which is bruised in seconds. Cheolyong groans as whole of his body feels the pain.

Sangmin steps on his back body “Go! I’ll take care of him.” He glances at the weak guy he tramps.

He brings Cheolyong up and waves a punch on his stomach. Cheolyong groans and kneels in front of him. Without hesitation, Sangmin continuously beat the guy. Cheolyong do nothing but let Sangmin beats him harshly. Even Sangmin uses a bat to beat him, he let him does what he want.

Once his subordinate searches all over the place, they come with one thing only, his wallet. Sangmin shows a victory smile and stop beats him vigorously and takes Cheolyong’s wallet. As he opens it, he saw a few notes of money. While Cheolyong slowly gets up from his position and carefully stands up.

“If you don’t have money, then what is this?” Sangmin gives him a stern looks.

“That’s only I have. Please… don’t take it.” Again he pleads at the guy.

“If I don’t take it, when will I get my money back? Tell me!” He throws the wallet, and without warns he grabs Cheolyong’s collar and punches him with his fist hard. Cheolyong stumbles and fall on the floor once again.

“Now, tell me. How are you going to pay me?” Sangmin squats down.

“I don’t know yet but I will try my best to search money to pay you back. Please believe me.” He crawls to Sangmin.

Sangmin pulls Cheolyong’s shirt up while Cheolyong’s trembles body follows him, stands up with all his might.

“What if I offer you job? You help me send drugs to my customer. If you do this job, I’ll consider your mom’s debt already paid.” He grins at Cheolyong while dusts off dirt at his shoulders.

“I won’t do the dirty job anymore. I’ll swear with my father’s name to Cheondung, I won’t repeat the mistake.” He declines.

“Come on, your father is dead. He’s a history. Cheondung wouldn’t know anything if you keep your mouth. Don’t be so naïve. Beside, don’t say like you never take the stuffs. You also a drug-addict before .” He whispers at Cheolyong’s ear, while emphasizes ‘drug-addict’ to make it more clear.

“I still won’t do it.” He answers in lower voice.

“Why? Because you’re back together with Jia? The person you sinned.” Cheolyong bits his bottom lip.

“I don’t understand how she can be so blind to see the guy she’s been with is the one betrayed her.  I thought you don’t want to involve in her or her family? And in sudden, you changed your mind. Why? You hit your head?” He points at his head.

“I want the second chance.”

“Second chance? Did she even know that you involves in her case?” Cheolyong shook his head.

“See. You won’t even get a chance if she knows the truth. Why don’t you dump her and do this job.” He grips Cheolyong’s shirt.

“I don’t want.”

“Wow, you’re changed huh. Trying be brave because of a girl. Pathetic. Fine, I don’t care you want to stay with her or whatever but what about my money? Tell me.”

“I- I’ll ask Jinwoon if he can give me my salary early this month.” He replies to him, bravely giving suggestion.

“Okay, I’ll give 24 hours to get the money. If don’t, you’re going to work for me. I don’t care if you’re a cop or whatever it is, I need to get my money back or your mom dead.” He loses his grips from Cheolyong’s shirt.

“Let’s go.” He stands up with his subordinates and walks away from Cheolyong. They leave him alone and exit his house.

Now list of his problems increased as he has to decide about how to pay his mom’s debt. Cheolyong ruffles his hair, sighing at the situation he face. If he does the job Sangmin offered, he will loses his actual job and he also loses Cheondung’s faith. He has to ask Jinwoon. No, he must.

-

Jia opens the closet, searching for suitable clothes she should wear today. She picks up short skirt and jacket. Once she wears the outfit, she looks at the mirror. She sits in front of it and grabs the compact powder. She puts the powder lightly on her face, covering her pale face. After that, she puts a lip gloss on her soft lips. She smiles after satisfied with her looks.

She descends the stairs carefully while looks around to checks if her father was still in the house.

“Are you searching for me?” A voice comes from behind her. She startled a bit but keeps maintains her facial expression.

“No.” She turns around looks at her father and replies calmly. Without hesitates, she continues to walks towards the front door. Before she can reach the knob, her father asks her.

“Are you going to see Cheolyong?” Meng Ruan asks her.

“Yes.”

“So, are you both together right now?”

“Yes. I love him and he loves me. We both happy with each other. I don’t care if you disapprove or not. We don’t need your approval. So, please mind your own business.” She smiles to him.

“Okay, I will. I’m just wondering if you guys free tonight. Perhaps we could have family dinner together. You both, Nana, Seungho- me together. Since we’re going to be family in the future. It’s been a long time we haven’t gather as family.” Meng Ruan curves a smile back to her causes her dumbfounded by his action.

There is no single sarcastic word from his mouth but his smiles. He didn’t even mad about Cheolyong and her instead he invites them for dinner. He looks like turns into past of him. The character of him which she’s missed so much for years.

“Dad…” Only one word mutters from her lips. Her body frozen, observes him comes towards her with gentle smile.

“I’m sure your mom agrees with my decision if she’s still alive. It has been so long I didn’t do my responsibility as a father to you and Nana. Tonight, I hope I can fulfil the responsibility well. Besides, there is important person I need you to meet.” He holds his daughter’s hand while Jia still looking straight to his eyes with her lips keep tight.

“Why in sudden?’

“I need to bond with the man who will protect my daughters in the future. I want Cheolyong to promise me he will take good care of you in the future like Seungho did. Jia-ah, you are my biological daughter, I love you so much than Nana. You are the only hope for me to live.” He confesses to her while her flutters hearing those sweet words from her father. Spontaneously she smiles to him.

“I will ask Cheolyong after this. I will text you the answer.” She promises him. She let go of his hand and exits the house after she glances at him again.

-

“What?! You want your salary?” Jinwoon scoffs.

“Your mission didn’t even progress, you want your salary? What stupid question is that?” Jinwoon shouts at him.

“I need it for emergency. Please give me my salary.” He asks Jinwoon without embarrassed.

“I won’t give you. So, stop asking me those questions.” Jinwoon didn’t mind him and reaches for a file and flips it to read.

“Then, I’m going to resign.” Cheolyong threatens him.

“You’re threatening me? Huh.” He chuckles as if Cheolyong’s words a joke to him.

“Then,  do it. I already replace other person to do your mission to investigate Meng Ruan’s case. I don’t need you anymore. You’re useless anyway.” Jinwoon concentrates reading the file in front of him.

“What? You replace me? Why didn’t you inform me?” Cheolyong’s sighs, didn’t happy to hear the news.

“I don’t need to. You’re too busy playing with your Meng Ruan’s daughter. I don’t want to disturb you.” Cheolyong’s eyes widen.

“Who?” Meng Jia? Im Jin Ah?” Cheolyong fakes a chuckle to cover his nervousness .

“Both.”  Jinwoon smirks at him while Cheolyong’s smile disappears. He gulps saliva in his throat.

“I think it’s better for you to resign than be useless cop. Leave your gun and your badge if you want to resign.” He smiles, opens back the files he read before.

Cheolyong bits his lips, gritting his teeth.  His pride hurts hearing those worth. Useless cop? He chuckles lightly, is he really not fit to involve in justice?

Cheolyong lifts up his face and smile, his hands slides in his pocket. He takes out his gun and badge out from his pocket and place it on the table.

“You can throw all my stuffs. I don’t need them.” Cheolyong glares at him and exits the room. He closes the door while his eyes caught his friend figure. His face was full of worries, he slowly walking towards him.

“What’s wrong with your face? Did something happen yesterday? Did you and Seungho fight?” Cheondung asks him while observes his bruised face.

“It’s nothing. I fell, that’s it.” Cheolyong smiles acts like nothing is wrong.

“Did you tell her yet?” Cheondung asks him.

“Not yet. I will but after this.” Cheolyong smiles at him and walks away.

“Where are you going?” His friend asks.

“I resigned.” Cheolyong answers and continues to walks away from him. Cheondung sighs, disappoints with him.

-

“Cheolyong, don’t even try to play their hearts again.”

“Jia and Nana also got nothing to do with our problem. You’re the one pulls them into this mess.”

“She was tormented in five years, Cheolyong! How can you explain that? She thought her incident was her punishment because she defending her father. And now look! It was you all along! You were the one caused this incident, you’re the one tortured her.”

“Then why you did this? You told me you love me and we will get through with this situation together. And tonight, we’re supposed to spend time together, you promised.”

“Okay, I’ll give 24 hours to get the money. If don’t, you’re going to work for me. I don’t care if you’re a cop or whatever it is, I need to get my money back or your mom dead.”

“I think it’s better for you to resign than be useless cop. Leave your gun and your badge if you want to resign.”

“We both get the second chance. And now we have to fight for it- together.”

Those words linger in his mind for hours. Cheolyong massages his temples harder to make the headache away. The more he thinks, the more the pain feels in his head.  He’s been walking for hours without a destination to go.

He feels the world is spinning, the ground is not stable enough for him to stands straight. He was suffocated to breath, he grips his shirt on chest as he feels it tightens. People look at him weirdly when he walks across them. He walks like he was drunk. His head getting more dizzy, the more he think.

In sudden, his weak body falls on the ground, lying there unconsciously. He coughs non-stop while his hand touches his head. His headache is going to strikes again and it going to more hurtful. Before his eyes closed, he saw a glint shadow of people surrounds him. After that, he helpless to see anymore, his eyes shut tightly. He already pass out in the middle of the street.