Pain

Cold Hearts

Jessica's POV

Pain. Unbearable pain. That's how I felt when I saw Onew and Tiffany. Give it up, Jessica, I thought to myself. Onew doesn't like you. He likes Tiffany. He only thinks of you as a friend. Give up.

"Jessica!" I heard Yoona yell.

I ignored her and ran farther. I ran like a murderer was chasing after me. I felt big, hot tears roll down my face, so I quickly wiped them away. Behind me, I heard Yoona and Yuri calling me, but I just couldn't face them. I needed to be alone. When I finally stopped running, I sat on the sand and made sure that no one was following me.

My mind flashed back to when I saw Onew and Tiffany. I felt tears making their way down my face. I tried to stop, but I couldn't. The tears continuously flowed down my face, one by one.

Stop it, Jessica Sooyeon Jung. I commanded myself. Crying that he doesn't like you isn't going to bring him back. It's not going to make him like you. Crying won't do you any good. Stop crying.

Slowly, my tears stopped coming. I wiped my eyes and took out my phone to text Yoona to tell her that I'm okay.

To: Alligator Yoongie

Guys, I'm fine. Go home. I just need to be alone for a while. Don't worry about me.

I immediately got a message back.

From: Alligator Yoongie

Sica, are you sure? We can wait for you.

To: Alligator Yoongie

I'll be fine. Go.

From: Alligator Yoongie

Alright, but be careful! Do you still want to have a sleep-over?

To Alligator Yoongie

Of course! I'll meet you at your house in 30.

From: Alligator Yoongie

Kk. See you there, or else I'm going to call the cops and say that you've gone missing!

I rolled my eyes and smiled. This was so like Yoona.

To: Alligator Yoongie

Yeah, yeah. Whatever. See you soon~

I put my phone away, and stared into the vast ocean.

"Having fun?" someone asked.

I looked up and saw Donghae. He sat down next to me.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I can ask the same, but I came here because I needed to think," he replied. "The ocean always helped me relax."

"Me too!" I told him.

Donghae gave me a charming smile. Then he looked worried.

"Hey, did you cry?" he asked, worriedly.

I gave him a bitter smile. "Is it that obvious?"

Donghae laughed and said,"Well, for the girl who usually has the prettiest make-up, and face, it's kind of obvious when her face is suddenly red and sad-looking."

I smiled. "You think I'm pretty?"

I saw Donghae blush. I giggled. He was so cute!

"W-well, you know. Um, compared to a lot of girls at SNU, yes," he stuttered.

"Wait, so I'm only pretty compared to the girls at our college?"

Donghae widened his eyes. "N-no, no! That's not what I was saying!"

I laughed and said," I know. I was just joking. Loosen up."

Donghae laughed along with me. "But you are really pretty, Jessica."

It was my turn to blush. No boy had ever called me pretty before.

"Thanks, Donghae."

He smiled and said,"Anytime. So, do you want to tell me why you were crying?"

I stopped smiling, as I remembered what happened. "Not really, but I'll tell you anyways. So there's this guy I like, but the guy only sees me as his friend. Today, he asked out the girl that he likes with my help, and the girl said yes." I gave a bitter laugh.

"Pretty stupid of me, huh?" I asked, sadly.

Donghae shook his head. "Not at all. Go on."

"So my friends and I gave here to make me forget about what happened at least for a little while. We got ice cream, and was leaving the place, when I bumped into someone. That just so happened to be the person that I liked, hand-in-hand with his new girlfriend. I ran away from them and my friends. I felt the worst pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I thought that my heart would explode. Then you came, and cheered me up," I finished.

Donghae grabbed my hand, gently and said,"The guy's an idiot to not like someone as beautiful, smart, and nice as you."

I blushed and said,"T-thanks. For everything."

He smiled and said,"Anytime, Jessica. Oh, and feel free to call me Hae."

"Then call me Jess, Hae," I replied.

He helped me up, and said,"Deal. Hey, do you want to go on a walk?"

I looked at my phone and quickly gathered my stuff. "I would love to, but I have to go to my friend's house. I'm so  late! Next time?"

"No problem. Do you need a ride home?" Donghae asked.

I shook my head. "It's okay. I'll just take a taxi home. Bye!"

I was about to get into a taxi when I heard Hae yell,"By the way, Jess! You're beautiful!"

I smiled widely and got inside my taxi and told the taxi man the directions to Yoona's house.

Maybe I'll get over Onew after all.

..............

The next day. Still Jessica's POV

When I got to Yoona's house yesterday, Yoona and Yuri were worried sick. They said that they were about to call the cops. I laughed at them, and told them that they would never have to do that. Luckily, they didn't ask about why I was so late.

Yesterday night, we watched chick flicks all night long, and had a whole bunch of junk food, and talked about everything but Onew and Tiffany. In a way, I was grateful that they didn't talk about them.

Today morning, we washed up, did each other's hair and make-up, then went to school in Yoona's car. Yoona quickly found a parking spot, and parked.

The three of us then walked over to the tree where Jonghyun, Onew, Minho, and Tiffany were talking. I felt a familiar pain in my heart when I saw Onew and Tiffany, but I tried to push it aside.

"Hey, guys. What are you talking about?" I tried to ask energetically.

Yoona and Yuri gave me an encouraging smile.

"We're talking about the OnFany couple's first date," replied Jonghyun, excitedly.

"The what couple?" Yuri asked confused.

"The OnFany couple. It's a mix of Onew and Tiffany. Get it? OnFany?"

I forced myself to smile. "That's really cute."

Tiffany smiled happily and said,"Thanks, Sica. For everything. I heard that you're the person that encouraged Onew to ask me out."

I forced yet another smile and said,"No problem. He needed a girlfriend anyways."

Onew laughed. "Thanks. Hey, um, why did you run away from us, yesterday at the beach?"

The happy atmosphere dropped. It became a really awkward atmosphere.

"I, uh-" I was cut off by Yoona.

"She had to find her phone. Sica here, dropped it, and was frantically looking for it, but Yuri and I wanted ice cream, so we convinced her to get some ice cream first, before looking for it," Yoona said smoothly.

I shot Yoona a grateful look.

"Yeah. You know how it is with Jessica and her phone," Yuri added. "It's practically her life!"

Minho looked like he didn't believe it, but besides him, everyone else believed it. I really hoped Minho wouldn't find out anything.

Just then, a familiar voice called out,"Hey, Jess!"

I turned to see Donghae running towards us, with a big smile. I was so grateful that he came. He broke the awkward atmosphere.

"Hi, Hae!" I greeted him, joyfully.

He stopped in front of me, and gave me a hug. I hugged him back, but when I released the hug, everyone looked at me like I grew a second head.

"What?" I asked. "Can't I give my friend here a hug?"

Yoona and Yuri looked at us weirdly, but said,"Of course not. It's nice to see the Ice Princess being friendly."

I laughed. "Just because my nickname is "Ice Princess" doesn't mean that I can't be nice to other people."

"Haha. Right... So how do you and Donghae know each other?" Onew asked a bit defensively.

Is he jealousI thought. Why would he be jealous? He has Tiffany. You're imagining things.

"Well, Jess and I met each other in I think 6th grade, and were friends, but not close friends. Then yesterday, I met her at the beach and we talked," Donghae explained.

"You met him at the beach and you didn't tell us?!?" Yoona and Yuri yelled at the same time.

"Calm down. You didn't ask, so I didn't tell you. Sheesh," I told them.

"Donghae!" I heard someone yell.

It was Donghae's friend, Leeteuk.

"I'll be there in a sec!" Hae yelled back.

He looked at us and said,"Looks like I have to go. Bye guys!"

We said good-bye, and continued to talk, when I heard him yell,"Jess, you're beautiful! Don't forget!"

I laughed and said,"Thanks, Hae! You're not too bad yourself!"

My friends looked at me like I was an alien.

"What?" I asked.

"He just called you beautiful," Onew said, with a hint of... was it jealousy?

"He called you Jess," Jonghyun added.

I shrugged. "So what? You guys call me Jess and Sica too, so why can't he?"

"It's not that, but you usually wait until you really like a person until you let them call you a nickname," Yoona said.

"Chill, guys," Yuri said. "Maybe Jessica likes him!"

"Yeah! Jessica and Donghae sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-" Jonghae started to sing, when I slapped him.

"It's not like that!" I yelled frustratedly.

Laughing, Tiffany asked. "Why not? You guys look cute together! You guys can be the HaeSica couple."

Only Yoona, Minho, and Onew stayed silent. Everyone else just kept teasing me about Donghae.

"Whatever, Sooyeon. Let's go Tiff," Onew said angrily.

What's up with him? He only calls me that when he's really angry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chapter doesn't contain MinYoon or Jongyul. Yeah, I know. So sad. But never fear! MinYoon is coming next and Jongyul isn't a main couple, so they won't have too much action.

So, Donghae is now in the story! Will he and Jessica get together? Is Onew jealous? Comment below to tell me what you think about this chapter and story!