The After Effect

Cold Hearts

Jessica

 

"Someday, someone's gonna love me; the way, I wanted you to need me. Someday, someone's gonna take your place. Ooh woah oh woah oh," I sang softly while playing my piano. "One day, I'll forget about you. You'll see, I won't even miss you, someday. Somday."

My phone started to blare out Yiruma's Love Me for the thousandth time today. Of course, I ignored it, just like the last thousand calls. I knew that my friends were worried, but I wasn't ready to talk to anyone about what happened back at Yoona's house.

I yelled at him. Yelled.

I laughed bitterly and thought, The world's ending because I yelled at Lee Jinki, my supposedly best friend.

I continued to mess around with the people for a while until my fingers started to hurt. I guess besides singing, piano's my only comfort. Over the years, I've learned not to burden my friends with all of my worries and troubles; they had a lot of stress already, so who am I to add onto their stress? After all, I'm just someone that can't decide who's her real friend and who's not.

With a sigh, I closed the piano and started to walk out of the music room when I spotted amongst many other instruments, my old flute. Gently, I picked it up and assembled it together. I played the B flat chromatic scale and adjusted the head piece. I took my flute over to the piano to tune it. I played a F and compared it to the F on the piano. Surprisingly, I still had my perfect pitch, and got it perfect before I even tuned it.

I looked around the room for some of my old flute sheet music, but I couldn't find any, so I just grabbed one of my favorite piano sheet music and played it from that. Soon, I slipped into the wonderful world of angelic flute music and was easily lost in it. I felt my fingers swiftly change with each note, all the notes making a beautiful sound.

Call me a music geek, but music was my comfort... and my only escape.

When I felt like my arms were going to fall off because of holding my flute, I gently cleaned the insides of the instrument and put it back into its case and set it next to the piano.

"I will definately be back to play you," I told my flute.

WIth a smile, I existed my music room. When I got to my room, I checked all the text messages, voice messages, and Facebook notifications I got.

Most of them were "Are you okay?" texts, but others were trying to cheer me up. Of course, none helped. I sent quick replies to all of them that texted me, and tossed my phone on the bed, to realize that there wasn't even one message from Onew.

Telling myself it didn't matter, I took out my binder and took out the heaps of homework that I had.

Why is my life so messed up?

 


The next day

 

"Jessica!" I heard Yoona and Yuri yell.

I laughed as I saw them running toward me. When they got to me, they practically jumped on me and gave me a big - and I mean big - bear hug.

"I thought you died!" Yuri exclaimed when I finally got them off me.

I shook my head and laughed. "Why in the world would I die? I'm not going to die just because some idiot betrayed me! I mean it's not the first time..."

We all fell into an uncomfortable silence. None of us looked at each other, but places where our faces weren't there.

"Come on, YoonYul," I said. "I'm not going to die 'cause of what he did. I'm a strong person."

The two of them put on weak smiles and mumbled "Yup" and "Ain't that the truth?." I laughed and pulled them toward Jonghyun and Minho, who were walking our direction.

"Sica Sica, Jessica!" Jonghyun said happily before pulling me into a hug.

Laughing, I hugged him back and said,"Jjong, Jjong, Kim Jonghyun!"

Everyone laughed and for a while, nothing was wrong. Then, reality set in, and everyone seemed to remember what happened yesterday.

"So, um, what song did you want to do, Sica?" Jonghyun asked awkwardly.

Yuri, who stood next to him, kicked his leg. Hard.

"Ow!" He exclaimed. "What'd you do that for?"

Yuri made a huge gesture pointing at me. When Jonghyun seemed to finally get it, he said loudly,"Oh. Ohhh. Okay. I get it. I'll shut up now."

I laughed at the two's behavior and said,"No need to hurt him, Yul. I was going to tell you guys anyways. I want to do the song Someday, by Nina. I love that song. I'll sing and do the piano."

Although hesistant at first, Yoona, Yuri, Minho, and Jonghyun nodded. I smiled and led them to the door to our homeroom. When we got in there, I saw Onew and Tiffany sitting there talking without a care in the world.

I felt Yoona and Yuri grab my hand and lead to where I wouldn't be able to see the couple.

"So, have you guys decided on how much things were going to do?" I asked.

They all shook their heads and Minho said,"No, but so far, we have you, who's doing Someday, all three of you ladies doing a dance, the guys and me doing like a song, a duet between... and we have space for one more, which Yuri wants to fill up with another duet."

We all rolled our eyes at the last sentence. "Yul, what's up with you and duets?"

Yuri turned her body toward Jonghyun and started to explain to him,"You see, young one, a duet is a perfect opportunity for me to play matchmaker. Of course, that means I won't be a part of it, but that's perfectly fine with me. Do you understand now, young dino?"

Minho and Yoona chuckled at Yuri's tone of voice. I just smiled, but Jonghyun's whole face brightened up.

"Ooh ooh! Let me help! I nominate Jessica and Donghae!" Jonghyun said excitedly.

"Exactly!" Yuri said, happy that someone agrees with her. "Also, I nominate Minho and Yoona to do a dance duet, since none of us have ever done that in a talent show before."

Jonghyun and Yuri continued to talk excitedly about the duet spot, while Minho, Yoona, and I practically banged our heads on the table.

I practically started to pray when our teacher came in and started to talk. "Good morning class. Today we will..."

 


 

By the end of the day, I was pretty dang tired. I was walking to my car when I heard a deep voice call out my name.

"Jessica!" Onew called out.

I ignored him and continued to walk faster toward my car. I heard him quicken his steps. I did the same, and by the time I got to my car, he was practically right behind me, panting.

I was about to step in, when he grabbed my wrist and asked,"Can we talk? I really need to set some things straight."

"Get your hands off me," I growled.

Instead of letting go, he tightened his grip. "Please, Sica. We need to talk about yesterday. I didn't mean-"

"I believe she told you to let you go," another voice growled from behind.

I turned my head to see Donghae just next to Onew, reaching for my arm to take it from Onew's grasp. For a moment, I saw a gleam in Onew's eyes that I've never seen before, but I couldn't place what it was exactly.

"What do you want, Lee Donghae?" Onew said, as vicious as a wolf.

Donghae glared at him then pointed to the wrist Onew was holding. "You're grabbing her wrist. She told you to let go."

Onew scoffed and said,"And who are you to tell me what she wants and what she doesn't? It's not like you're her boyfriend."

"Now listen here, Lee Onew. Maybe I'm not her boyfriend yet, but -"

"Guys, stop," I said in a scary calm voice.

They stopped.

I looked at Donghae and gave him a small smile. "Thank you, Hae. Thanks for watching out for me, but you don't need to help me with this. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

I cast one final glance at Onew and me then nodded. "Okay. See you later, Sica."

I gave him a smile and he left. I then turned to Onew and turned icy cold again. "Let go. It hurts."

Immediately, he let go. I had no idea what changed his mood like that. I mean he didn't seem to care that he was hurting me a while ago, so why let go now? He must have taken the note that I'm in my Ice Princess mode.

I was about to open the door to my car when he said,"Sica, please. We need to talk."

He looked so sincere I wanted to say 'yes,' but I knew that it was too soon to talk to him. I needed time. I shook my head and went inside my car. "I'm sorry, Onew. I can't talk about this right now. It hurts too much; the wound is too fresh."

With that, I left him in the parking lot of Seoul University. When I dared to look back, he was still standing in the same spot I left him at, staring at me driving away.

I felt a tear drop out of my eye. "I'm sorry, Onew. It hurts too much right now."

 

.......................

 

Hai, guys! I'm back!! :D I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! (Though, I myself think it's not as good as the one before...)

Remember to comment, subscribe, and upvote! I love to hear what you guys have to say about my story! :)