Lunch and Neighbors?!

A School Love Affair

 

"So, where are we eating?" Kaito asked.

"Oh! I almost forgot! Maybe the roof?" I asked.

"The roof," he said. When we were on the roof it was empty. I ran to gate and looked up, closed my eyes, and took a big whiff. I loved coming here to breath the fresh air.

"Isn't it beautiful up here?" I asked no one in particular.

"Yes, it is," Kaito said. I opened my eyes to see him standing next to me, looking up at the sky. He looked down at me and his eyes seemed...intense.

"Umm...Kaito?" I asked.

"Yes?" he asked.

 "Why did you stick up for me like that? I could of handled it myself," I told him.

"It's like I said before. I stick up for my friends. I said I'll protect you," he said.

When he said he'll protect me, I could hear Kai's voice, saying, 'I love you little sister, and I'll protect you no matter where I am, heaven, earth, or hell.' Those were his last words to me before he died. I turned away as tears formed in my eyes.

 "Are you okay?" Kaito asked worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Allergies," I lied. He looked like he didn't believe me, but try to force it. We ate our lunch, learning everything we can about each other and making jokes about Yukino. The rest of the day dragged on. I was walking toward the gate on my way home when Kaito ran up to me. We walked and talked while people glared at us, but I didn't let it get to me.

"Why don't I walk you home?" Kaito asked.

"N-no, that’s okay. It's really not that far," I said nervously.

'What if he see's my house and gets intimidated?! Then he'll be like everyone else at the school,' I thought to myself. I couldn't let that happen!

"It's alright. Now which way is it?" he asked.

"Look, Kaito, I'm really grateful, but-" I started.

"I'm not taking no for an answer. What if those girls decide to follow you and hurt you because of what I said? I can't let that happen," he said. I looked at him, sighed, and waved the right flag.

"Okay, follow me," I said walking. Luckily, my house was walking distance, so I didn't have to take the train or bus. As we came closer to my house, I looked nervously at Kaito who had this confused--yet cute--look on his face.

"Which is your house?" he asked. I pointed up at the three-story house we stopped in front of. He smiled.

"Well this sure is a surprise!" he said still smiling. He saw that I was confused and pointed at the two-story house next to mine.

"That's my grandma's house, where I'll be staying!" he shouted. I stood staring at him with my jaw nearly dropping on the sidewalk.

"Must be fate," he said. I looked at our houses and smiled.

"Yeah, fate," I told him.