He Stood Up for Me?!

A School Love Affair

 

 I could sense the evil stares of my classmates, but I ignored them. I looked at Kaito and saw that he didn't ever notice. 10 minutes ago, our teacher, Mrs. Tsubaki, walked in. She was young-maybe in her early 20's-with auburn hair that reached her shoulders and wearing a plain blue dress.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Yukino glaring at me. I smiled and she got ever madder. Me and Yukino could have been friends, but she got the wrong idea. I was new here and I was in my last year of middle school. Yukino offered to be my friend, but I didn't know how to accept, partly due to my past and Kai's death a year before. She got pretty upset when I ignored her and sought out to destroy me, thinking I was some rick snob. That was 2 years ago and it's still going on. She turned away and glared at the board.

When it was time for lunch, I decided to spend it on the roof. It was more quieter up there than the classroom. I wondered if Kaito wanted to come, because I didn't trust Yukino at all, but she had already got to him.

"Hey, you're new here right? I'm Yukino," she said.

"Yeah, it's my first day. I'm Kaito," he responded.

"If you want, I could show around school. We can go now," she said.

"Thanks, but I was hoping Yuuki would show me. I do appreciate your offer, though," he told her. Silence. Everyone, even me, was waiting for her reaction. Butterflies formed in my stomach when he rejected her offer.

"What? You want HER to show you around?" she asked angrily.

"Well, yes. She's the first friend I made," he said. He looked at me and smiled. I could feel more butterflies in my stomach.

'Either he doesn't know he pissed her off or he doesn’t care. I like him,' I thought to myself.

"What the hell is wrong with you?! Are you blind?! I'm way prettier and much more fun than her! She's just a...a...rich !" she screamed at him. Kaito stood up in his seat and I saw anger, scary anger, in his eyes.

"I really don't like to hurt people in any way, but you deserve to and you have your facts all wrong. First of all, you're not prettier than her. Anyone with eyes and a brain can see that. And don't you ever call her a , because you're the only one I see here. I don't know what the hell your problem is, but don't you ever disrespect her like that," he told her, looking her straight in the eyes.

 Me and everyone else in the class had that 'WTF?!' look on their face. He stood up for me? I couldn't believe it...or the look on Yukino's face. Priceless. Then Kaito walked over to me.

"Grab your lunch. We can eat somewhere else," he told me. When I looked in his eyes, that warmth and glow returned.

"Umm, okay," I said grabbing my lunch. We walked out of the classroom, with everyone watching us.