Fifth month (2)

Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun was invited to be a guest teacher for a lesson on Child Studies and as much as she loved her job, she simply didn't want to stay further than a Han river from Byulyi.

- Yonggggggg, - The brown-haired woman said in an unfamiliar squeaky little voice that gave her goosebumps. - I am totally fine, I promise. You'll be away for two weeks only anyways, I won't be clinging to you and annoying you all the time either.

The thing was, Yongsun knew she would miss those jokes and teases from her despite only leaving her for fourteen days, but she knew better than to admit it. - Okay okay, I'll go. Remember to eat properly and have enough rest, I won't be home to disconnect your wifi connection. I will check in on you every evening so that you don't even have to bother to miss me.

- Yeah yeah, I get it mom. - Byulyi rolled her eyes. - Pack your stuff, you're going to be late.

***

Yongsun was having a quick lunch before her lesson when she received a call from her best friend.

- Yong... Yong... - Byulyi sounded so light and breathy, the doctor's chest felt like being smashed by a large rock.

- Are you alright? Byul-ah? Where are you? - Yongsun knew she was failing miserably at hiding her concern, but it just didn't help being far away from her friend.

- Home... It... hurts... down there... - The older woman could almost picture a frown on her friend's face. - I cannot... sit up...

- You're gonna be okay, alright? I'm here. - Yongsun had to remind herself to breathe. She put her phone on speaker and proceeded to text her friend's colleague. - I'm heading back to you, okay?

- Urgh... No need to come back... - Byulyi managed to say between groans, while trying to curl herself up in pain.

- Don't worry about me. Hyejin will be there soon with you. I will be there with you too.

- Hmm... door unlocked... I fell... my baby... - Her voice was barely audible now.

- Byul! Keep talking to me! You and the baby are going to be fine, you hear me? - The brunette started to panic. She kept on asking questions and calling her, all for the sake to keep her conscious. Wasting no time, she immediately texted the faculty to call off the class before running to her car and driving nearly 200 kilometers from Sokcho to Seoul.

Yongsun wanted to cry when she no longer got the response from the other line. She didn't dare turning off the phone hoping that someone noticed the call and inform her about her condition. Only after some minutes did she hear some shufffling, faint background noises and another familar voice appeared.

- Hi unnie, this is Hyejin. Byulyi unnie was laying on the floor and had passed out before I showed up at her door. I'm sitting in the ambulance with her now. The medics told me her life wasn't in danger at all, so I think we could both relax at that.

The psychiatrist thought she forgot to breathe until that moment. But the next information kept her on edge the whole journey .

- I can't say for sure because they're faint, but there seems to be some red spotting where she was laying earlier.

***

When the lawyer came around, it was a matter of half a day later. She was injected with an IV needle connected to a nutrient bottle and changed into a patient gown. She was currently alone since Hyejin almost immediately rushed to find the doctor the second she fluttered her eyes open.

Hyejin came back first, helping her sit up and giving her a glass of water when she motioned that she was thirsty. Chaeyoung then walked in, looking at her worriedly. Fortunately, Yonsei University Hospital was quite near Byulyi's apartment, that was why Chaeyoung had been able to immediately rush to the ER when receiving the news.

- Your colleague found you unconscious on the floor and brought you here via ambulance service. There's also some slight bleeding so you may have experienced a threatened miscarriage. Whatever happened, it sure had a great deal of impact on you.

- Bleeding?! Is my child... - Byulyi widened her eyes, an unbearable feeling of fright boiled inside her. 

- Thankfully yes, it's fine. - replied Chaeyoung, and the patient sighed loudly in relief. - Now tell me the story.

- Well, I noticed a bulb in my living room was not working properly and I went to fix it because I've done that before. I climbed up the folding stairs and was replacing the bulb when I suddenly felt dizzy and fell off the stairs. My lower abdomen started hurting pretty badly and I remember calling Yongsun unnie before everything went black.

- Yongsun unnie was actually the one to call the ambulance after texting me. - Hyejin added. - Speaking of her, she probably is going to be here soon.

- What?! - Byulyi looked at her junior in bewilderment.

As if on cue, the door slid open, revealing a panting Yongsun as if she had used the stairs from the parking basement instead of the elevator. She likely had. Yongsun dashed to her bed, pulled a nearby chair to sit down and reached for her best friend's hand.

- Hi Chaeyoung, Hyejin. - She greeted in accordance of age. She then turned to the pregnant woman. - How are you feeling?

- Not so bad. The baby is fine. - Byulyi softly replied, her bandaged hand lightly patted the brunette's.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter