How things actually started [End]

Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I kind of relapsed into depression a while ago and this story just literally slipped through my mind. I deeply apologize for not updating this story until now. This is the final chapter, and thank you so much for having supported me throughout this journey. I gained great pleasure from developing this story. I hope you guys enjoyed it. 

***

4 years ago. 

A blonde girl of middle height stood out among the waiting patients. Looking from the outside, one could think she was very calm, which was understandable. If only they could hear how her heartbeat was blaring in her ears, making her almost deaf from nervousness. Her hands hidden in the pocket shook almost violently, and she made an effort to stop her legs from bouncing. 

"Miss Moon Byulyi?"

The voice of the nurse startled Byulyi. Taking a deep breath, she stood up and slowly walked into the room.

- Nice to see you again, Moonbyul. - Dr. Park Chaeyoung, her obstetrician and quite a close friend with Byulyi since college, greeted cheerfully through the mask. - Are you ready for your third try?

Byulyi nodded.

- Also the last cycle. What if it failed again? It made me frustrated just by thinking about it. - She sighed, her hands kept fidgeting to reduce her bubbling worry. 

- Don't be so hopeless, I truly believe we can make this work. - Chaeyoung assured before instructing her to confirm the information. - Take a look at the sample and see if it's the same donor from the last time.

Byulyi complied and raised her thumb after examining the code printed on the container.

- Great, shall we start then?

After the process that she has now familiarized herself with, she was recommended to stay on the bed for a while to reduce the discomfort in her womanhood and to enhance the chance of success.

Byulyi's biggest dream was to have a child of her own, but she didn't want to pursue any romantic or even ual relationship since forever. It had been a year since she clicked on the text "artificial insemination", and so far, things weren't working in her favor. Yet.

She paid for three samples of equivalent to three cycles, and it would be a lie to say that she wasn't disappointed when her period still came regularly. Byulyi therefore didn't expect much this time, but she really, really hoped she would succeed.

Her donor's profile suddenly came to her mind. A man with excellent medical history and great health thanks to regular exercising, suitable blood type, almost 35 years of age and no intention to start a family. He had a bright face and described himself as "caring, optimistic, lively and having potential to be a leader." From the given photo to the description in the profile, they all reminded her of a certain important person who had always been by her side through thick and thin. Byulyi couldn't help grinning at the mere thought of her future baby having similar features to her.

Her phone rang loudly, pulling her out of the trance. She sluggishly took out her phone, panicking when seeing the name of the caller, also the one who she had been thinking about.

- Damn it! - She quickly got up and walked out of her room with her tote bag. Byulyi put on her airpods and answered the call.

- Annyeong unnie*! - She slightly raised her hand and wave at her. - Have you done with the conference? How is it going?

- Just finished the second day. Dead tired. Everything else is fine though, the talk today was interesting enough. - The chubby face of a woman looking quite the same age as Byulyi appeared on the screen as she turned the camera on. - Outside?

- Uhm... yeah... - Byulyi stuttered. - I-I'm... going out on a leisure trip.

- Leisure trip?

- Ah, ah no... I mean v-visiting a sick friend of mine.

- At the hospital? During this pandemic? - The brunette didn't look so convinced but seemed to let it slide. - Go home as soon as possible, don't forget to sterilize your hands.

- Okay, doctor Kim Yongsun. - Byulyi smiled. - I probably shouldn't disturb you more, your formal clothes are still on so I am guessing you just got back to the hotel. Change to something comfortable and treat yourself a proper meal. Stay safe.

- As if you haven't texted hundreds of messages with the same thing, mom. - Yongsun rolled her eyes but smiled nonetheless. - Oh, is your friend pregnant? Why are you standing at the obstetrics department?

Byulyi hung agape as she found herself standing right in front of the neon sign that said "Obstetrics and Gynecology Department". Without hesitation, she dashed right out of the hospital. 

- Oh uhm-uh... the c-connection here is really b-bad... - She purposedly stuttered so as to increase the realness of her act. - I gotta go, talk to you later.

She didn't get to catch her breath in relief before widening her eyes in horror, as she remembered the very sensitive and gravity-defiant procedure she just went through minutes ago and how she ran like a marathon athlete to the parking lot. Byulyi silently prayed that what she had just done didn't affect the chance of success. And that her best friend wouldn't think anything about it.

 

Turns out, Yongsun really didn't think anything about it.

***

<2 months after the proposal>

- You're having too much fun, honey. - Byulyi gently wrapped her arm around her lover's waist as they staggered into their bedroom. - Let's get you to bed.

Despite being childishly loud and chatty earlier at the party, Yongsun surprisingly obeyed her like a puppy, except for the part where she had to strip her clothes and the older woman started laughing like crazy, teasing her and splashing water at her as Byulyi tried to wash her body. The lawyer didn't mind it at all, though; taking care of her fiancé was her favorite activity and those things just added more to the fun of it.

After a cup of salted lemon juice, Yongsun seemed to be sober up a little bit, but then became extremely drowsy and sleepy. The younger quickly dried her hair and changed her into pyjamas, and the m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter