Blessings

Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saturday mornings were no difference from other weekdays, and Yongsun's parents had got up before dawn to continue with their farming. The weather was chilly, but soon both of them had to take off their coats as sweat soaked their backs. 

Mr. Kim frowned when a sudden shadow blocked the light on the area he was working on.

- What the... Moonbyul?

He gasped as he saw the rather skinny woman standing there, her kaki pants had its sleeves rolled up to her knees, her hands behind her back and a wide grin on her face. He looked to the other side of the field and saw that his wife had the same reaction as Yongsun backhugged her and earned a slap on her shoulder.

- When did you arrive? Go inside, it's freezing out here!

- Don't worry, we both come here to help you two. - Byulyi started tending the field skillfully, and Mr. Kim could only sigh before continuing with his work. - We just arrived half an hour ago, and we figure you would be out here since no one answered the door and it's near the harvest season. 

- Wait, didn't you just come back from your holiday?

- Actually... - The lawyer scratched her nape. - We came here straight from the airport-

- Minhee-ah! - The man immediately stopped and called Mrs. Kim. - They have to go back to the house. They've just come back from the airport!

- No, no appa, we're completely fine, really. - Byulyi chuckled in amusement, but Mr. Kim had always been very persistent, and she had no choice other than uniting with Mrs. Kim and Yongsun as the four of them walked back to their house nearby.

The older couple helped the young with the luggage and was touched when received a lot of specialty from the country they just travelled to some days ago. 

- What's with this sudden visit? - Mrs. Kim asked with a warm smile while caressing Byulyi's hair. The lawyer leaned into her touch a little.

- It just feels right to have our first Korean lunch of the year with our parents. 

Their joyful smiles told the middle-aged lady there was something bigger than that. Mrs. Kim's eyes landed on her hand and saw the all too familiar ring reflecting the light on the living room's celling.

- Oh my god! Yeobo*! - She excited held Byulyi's hand up as she showed the ring to her husband. - The children are engaged!

Mr. Kim immdiately turned to Yongsun. - Is this the big announcement you're talking about?

- ... Yes. - Yongsun's cheeks were tinted with pink as she took her fiance's hand in hers and looked at her with a loving smile. - We proposed to each other on the trip some days ago.

- You both proposed to each other? So romantic! - The lady was squealing and Byulyi finally understood where Yongsun got her fondness of romance from. - Congratulation to you! Aigoo, our children... they've grown up so much.

- Who made the first move? - Mr. Kim leaned in and asked curiously.

- Dad! - Yongsun whined in embarassment, but Byulyi on the other hand pointed at her chest in pride. 

- Wow. I'm surprised then, considering little Yong has kept this ring for more than a year.

- What do you mean a year? - Byulyi wondered in confusion before turning to her girlfriend. - Yong, what does he mean by that?

- I- uh... - The older woman couldn't help stutter. - Nothing. Don't mind what he said, it's not a big deal.

- We have a tradition in our family. - Mrs. Kim chimed in. - If the parents approve their future spouse and want to give the blessing to their children, they will pass down their wedding or engagement ring to them. When she asked for our permission we thought we were going to prepare for your wedding soon; turned out we had to wait for a whole year just to know that your wedding isn't even official yet. Our wedding rings are safely stored though, and they will become yours the moment you're announced wife and wife.

Byulyi stared at her future mother-in-law's empty ring finger in amazement, while Yongsun looked down on the floor, not wanting to face her partner right now. Emotional, the former pulled her in protectively, hugging her forearms as she placed a quick peck on her forehead.

- You must be very certain that we will get married to even ask your parents for blessing, Yong. 

- It was just the heat of a moment... - Yongsun murmured. 

-  Well, I mean I've been preparing your ring for almost an year too, so I guess we're both that whipped for each other?

- This is not the first ring you make? - Yongsun looked at the macrame ring and squinted her eyes at her lover. The latter had to laugh.

- Oh god, what do you think I am, a genius? Of course it takes practice! I failed a lot of times and even cut my hands too. - Byulyi pinched her cheeks. -  But I don't make rings for anyone else if that's what you're thinking. Gosh, your jealous self is so adorable.

- I'm not! - The blonde raised her voice a little. 

- So I can make rings for other women?

- What the hell? - Yongsun was really about to throw literal daggers at her.

- Okay okay, maybe not rings. How about necklaces?

- ... Fine, I don't like the picture of you making any jewelries for any other woman excluding my mom and Yonghee. - The psychiatrist gritted her teeth. - Now can you please stop? We aren't even home alone, my parents are still here, you know.

- Oh, right. - Byulyi lowered her head in embarassment. 

- That's okay, you are very entertaining. - Mrs. Kim reassured. 

They talked for a little while, and Yongsun failed to realize her fiance had gone unusually quiet, head probably in clouds thinking about something.

- Now that you're engaged, when do you plan to wed?

The engaged couple looked at each other. 

- We haven't talked about it. - Yongsun spoke up and Byulyi nodded in agreement. - We have only been engaged for a few days after all.

- Well, we can help you two with that. Modern

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter