Chapter 6

Unrequited Love

 

[Seohyun’s POV]

“Yaaah Seobaby! Why didn’t you tell us you have such a handsome boyfriend!” Hyoyeon-unnie screamed at me. I was amused by their reaction and said, “Unnie, Changmin-oppa is not my boyfriend, he is just my childhood friend who had just returned from the States.” I said calmly. “He is so hot! Hello I’m Hyoyeon, Seohyun’s unnie!” Hyoyeon-unnie went forward to shake Changmin-oppa’s hands.

“Hi I’m Shim Changmin. I’m a year older than Seohyun.” Changmin-oppa said confidently. “Kyaaa! We’re same aged!” Hyoyeon-unnie said with her dreamy eyes. Changmin-oppa just laughed it off. He must be really experienced in this area for being so calm and confident.

“So…are you interested in our Seobaby?” Sooyoung-unnie said straight to the point. “Unnie! What are you thinking! Changmin-oppa is like my brother.” I said immediately. “We grew up together, so we’re definitely very close, just like siblings.” Changmin-oppa smiled. “Ah…I see.” Sooyoung-unnie said. “Seobaby, I think he’s much better than Kyuhyun! Even though they are equally handsome.” Sooyoung-unnie added. “Unnie! That’s enough, you guys are imagining things again!” I said while breathing through my nose hard.

“Stop teasing our Seobaby, she’s gonna explode soon!” Yuri-unnie said. “Thanks, Yuri-unnie, that’s what I need the most.” I turned towards her. “By the way, you don’t have any girlfriend currently right? You can still consider our Seobaby!” Yuri-unnie told Changmin-oppa.

“Yuri-unnie!” I cried. Changmin-oppa just laughed it off.

It was so awkward as I tried to ease the tension between Changmin-oppa and I while we walked back home together. “Sorry oppa, my unnies, they really love to tease me.” I said apologetically. “It’s alright Seo, they are just concerned about you. But why are you still not attached? Are you waiting for me to come back?” Changmin-oppa said jokingly. “Yah oppa! You’re still the same!” I hit his arms. “Oh, and who’s the Kyuhyun they were talking about? Your suitor?” He probed. “No, he’s just a classmate who has done an assignment with me recently. That’s how they started imagining things.” I explained.

“Ah…alright.” Changmin-oppa said and went into deep thoughts. “Oppa, we’re home! Let’s clean up and turn in early! I still have to attend school tomorrow. Goodnight!” I gave him a hug just like before and went upstairs.

 

“Good morning Seo! Time for breakfast!” I heard Changmin-oppa said as I walked down the stairs. “Why are you so early? You’ve got things to do today?” I asked while rubbing my eyes. “Yeah, I’m going to the company to settle some stuff, why not let me drop you off at your school.” He offered. “Okay! Thanks! That’s gonna save me a lot of naggings from Siwon-oppa!” I giggled. “Yah! Seo Joohyun, why are you badmouthing me early in the morning!” Siwon-oppa said while walking towards us. “Good morning oppa, you’re hearing things! Why would I do that to my beloved brother?” I joked. “You better be telling the truth Seo!” He said while he raised an eyebrow.

We finished up and I got into Changmin-oppa’s car. As we arrived, I could see girls crowding around the car. In fact, they were staring at Changmin-oppa…ferociously, as if he’s a prey. I stepped out of the car and was welcomed by words of jealousy. This is so freaky since I’ve never wanted to be the centre of attention and this is making me uncomfortable. To add on to my misery, Changmin-oppa actually stepped out of his car and shouted after me, “Seo! I will pick you up after your lessons today.” I smiled then nodded and walked away in a hurry.

“Seo! Was that your boyfriend! He’s so handsome!” Sohee asked me immediately as she walked into the classroom. “No…he’s just a childhood friend of mine.” I replied casually. “Really? You’re so lucky to have a childhood friend as handsome as him!” She exclaimed. I smiled and kept quiet, hoping this commotion would cease down. I remembered some other details for the assignment that we had to complete and I turned towards Kyuhyun. I pat his shoulders to get attention but he ignored me completely. “Kyuhyun-sshi…we need to continue on with this part of our assignment, can we…”

“No, I’m tired. Leave me alone.” He said coldly. I was confused by his actions but decided to shrug it off since he could be tired. But what puzzled me was his strange behavior, I thought we were a little closer after that night. Lesson ended on a pretty good note, and the last bell for the day had sounded. Kyuhyun took his bag to leave and I immediately grabbed hold of it. “Kyuhyun-sshi, I’m sorry if I offended you in any way that day, but we really need to discuss about this.” I said politely. “I will do my part, you don’t have to worry.” He said, and walked away without bidding farewell. Have I said anything wrong?