⚕ She's gone

Your Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚕: Taehyung.2018

“You’re right, she never went back to finish her senior year.” Taehyung stared at Namjoon who was holding files. This was about Sohee and he gave his full attention to it. “I did a little digging and turns out the school redacted her scholarship starting her junior year.”

Taehyung remembered visiting her, her junior year, she had acted somewhat strangely. 

But he had never heard from her that she lost her scholarship. 

He remembered visiting her two months before the end of her Junior year, a week later that was when he and his father had been forced to move. 

He had been forced to break up.

“The University came to the conclusion that she had dropped out because of the costs. You see I looked up the address you gave me and the neighbors all seemed to report that the family moved out not long after your father’s clinic closed. They all assumed that the parents had gone to live closer to the university.”

“But she wasn’t there either.” Taehyung interrupted. So much still didn’t make sense where were they? Had they simply gone into hiding?

“Exactly, which was why I started looking with my connections to the police.” Namjoon repeated as if reading Taehyung’s mind.

 “And?” Taehyung was impatient now.

“And, I think you should sit down first.” Namjoon warned him, his voice deepening.

Taehyung stared in confusion as he slowly lowered into a chair. “What?” Noticing the expression on Namjoon’s face… no. It was impossible.

“You see I did some digging and it turns out, that on the same day that you left…” He began.

“No, don’t tell me.” Taehyung already knew what he was saying. “They we’re going on a trip. A road trip.”

“There was a car accident. A freight truck driver slipped on the breaks, on the curve.”

“No. No it’s not true!” Taehyung yelled. 

“The car crashed off a ledge and fell into a lake.” Namjoon continued ignoring Taehyung’s desperate attempts to stop. “They found the driver later, but it was too late. They found 3 of the bodies at the bottom of the lake a month later and identified them as Han Minkyu, Han Soomin, and Han Sohee, by their ID’s.” 

Taehyung stood up gasping for breath as he clenched both of his fists. “No! It’s a lie. She’s not dead. They’re all not dead.” 

“I did more digging, her aunt buried them in Seoul, in Wonji-dong. Here’s the address of the cemetery.” He revealed a paper.

Taehyung slapped it out of his hand and onto the floor. 

“You’re lying, it’s not true. She’s alive still.” Taehyung denied. He couldn’t accept it. 

She couldn’t be dead not after how they had parted. That couldn’t be the end.  

He felt his heart being crushed.

“I’m sorry. There really was nothing you could’ve done. What a cruel fate for you both to disappear on the same day.” Namjoon replied in pity.

Taehyung collapsed onto the ground, his fists slamming the ground.

 

 

~~~~~~~ 1 day before leaving to Japan

Taehyung was shaking as he watched her standing in front of her house. He had never imagined this. He had never thought this day would come.

But what could he do? He and his father were about to leave to Japan. Ryo would kill her if she tried to look for him. 

Taehyung took each step as if it was his last. He hated that he was doing this.

She had a bright smile as usual, wearing a white v-neck sweater with a long skirt underneath. She looked like an angel. 

“Taehyung, what’s wrong? Why do you look like that?” She questioned.

“Sohee.” He cleared his throat. Preparing the words he had rehearsed over and over again. “I’m going to America.”

“Huh?” Sohee raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

“I’m going to stay in America and go to medical school there. I’m going to focus on my studies.”

“Taehyung.” Her eyes blank, she shook her head.

“I realized you’re not the person I thought you were.” 

“What?” She stared at him in disbelief. 

“I want to be a doctor, and I wanted to do it with you. But what? A gap year? Are you even taking our relationship seriously?” Taehyung couldn't believe the words coming out of his own mouth. Was it desperation? Desperation to keep her safe?

“Taehyung. What’s wrong with you? Huh? Why all of the sudden?” She questioned, her voice laced with concern. But he could see she was trembling inside. Her beautiful eyes tearing up at his hurtful words.

It was for her sake. At least thats what he thought.

“I realized I don’t love you. I just loved that you were pretty and you had the same ambition as me.” 

“I don’t understand.” She wiped away a tear that was running down her cheek. “What are you saying?”

“Let’s break up. Don’t ever talk to me again.” He announced turning around. He had to be strong. He had to be strong.

“Taehyung.” Her tiny hand grabbed onto his arm. His arm was shaking from her own trembling.

“Don’t hold me back.” He growled. He hated himself more than anything. 

“Taehyung.” She slowly released him. “Is that really… is that really what you think?”

Taehyung didn’t respond as he walked away.

 

~

 

If he had known that would be their last interaction… how would things have changed?

Namjoon returned the polaroid of Sohee and Taehyung. It was heartbreaking, but that was the only picture he had left of her. His phone was gone, he had only the picture he kept in his wallet of her to remember her by. 

“Take this back, I think you should hold onto this. For her memory.” Namjoon responded.

Taehyung left the room with utter disappointment. His hope gone. He couldn’t accept her being dead. Not Han Sohee. She was too talented, too important, she was supposed to become a great doctor, just like him. Someone like her wasn't supposed to die. 

Taehyung clenched the polaroid tightly in his fingers. He had looked at it a thousand times. Recalling exactly when he had taken it… Was this his only memory of her? 

 

 

~~~~~   ~~~~~~~~

“I have pictures of you on my phone.” Taehyung complained. “Why do we need to pay for one from a stupid photobooth?"

“Just do it. Please oppa. You need a picture for when you’re in America.” Sohee gazed up towards him with her pleading eyes. Like a stray puppy begging for a meal and his heart melted… who could say no to those eyes? 

Certainly not Taehyung. 

“But I memorized your face in my mind.” He wasn’t lying he could perfectly trace her face on a paper he had no doubt about that. 

“Well then its to keep all the other girl's away. So you have proof that you have a girlfriend.” She argued. He knew that he had lost this battle. Anytime jealousy was brought up, he conceded immediately. Though he wondered whether he would need the proof more, or she would. 

They both entered the Photobooth and she sat down next to him. He smiled awkwardly, Taehyung not really being someone who considered himself photogenic by any means.

“Ya! Put your arm around me.” She complained tugging on his sleeve.

Taehyung followed her instructions and staring at the screen in front he noticed she was still frowning on the reflection.

“Smile Oppa.” Taehyung grinned as best he could. The flash blinded him momentarily before the numbers quickly counted down for the next one. 

3

2

1

While trying to focus on giving his best smile he suddenly felt her lips on his cheek. The photo that appeared on the screen clearly revealing his astonished face. Sohee began giggling frantically looking at it. Blushing in embarrassment he decided he wanted to get revenge. 

2

1

Taehyung leaned over and turning his head to block the camera, as he smoothly enveloped her lips.

“Ya! You covered my face.” Sohee complained playfully as they pulled away. But he wasn’t listening, his face inches away. He kissed her forehead and began to shower her face with kisses.

“Stop oppa.” She giggled. 

3

2

1

This time Sohee cupped his face with her hands and began to kiss him, pulling his body closer and closer to hers. 

3

2

1

Before he knew it the kiss had turned passionate, his tongue navigating . 

Her tongue was soft. The taste of more perfect than anything. That was all he could think as it touched against his. He her hair with one hand, sliding his other to her arm. She pulled him in deeper and deeper. Entrancing him. 

He felt hot, his breath short. He wanted more.

3

2

1

They both ignored the flashes as he closed his eyes in wonder at how amazing Sohee was. 

Truthfully it still sometimes bothered him, she had promised him that he was her first kiss, at the same time she was amazing at it. 

She was good at everything, he couldn’t pick a flaw. The way she could so easily make his heart rate change pace. God, even her scent seemed perfect to him. He felt that she could seduce any man she wanted. Yet she chose only to waste her talent on him.

3

2

1

However, Taehyung hid these dark thoughts inside as he just enjoyed her presence. They would both start college in a week. He would find out soon enough if she would ever choose someone else.

“Printing now” The automated voice came out of the machine.

They stared at the photo-sheet. Only one was of the two of them actually smiling. Taehyung was blushing madly at the others with the back of his head covering most of it, but the edge of their lips still visible. 

“I’m keeping these forever.” She announced as they both walked away hand in hand.

She clutched the photo sheet close to her heart with her other hand. A small breeze ruffling her long hair ever so slightly, a small strand falling over her left eye. 

Taehyung reached over to help fix it. She yanked his hand pulling him down enough that she placed her lips on his.

“What are you going to do?” She inquired playfully, he pulled away his face red hot. 

“You’re in love with me aren’t you?” She questioned in a coy manner.

Taehyung quickly turned away, his face burning, his lips unable to dissolve the grin on his lips.

“Why would you ask something so obvious?” He questioned walking away quickly. 

 

 

Taehyung stared at the photos, the same photos she had taken all those years ago. They were only some of the large box of items that she had left behind in her apartment. 

“She left these behind. I thought it was weird she never came back to get them.” Her former roommate answered, Taehyung had been able to come in contact with her through Namjoon’s research and had found her new house. “It’s heartbreaking to hear she passed.”

The girl was now married to a doctor and lived in a nice house on the outskirts of Gangnam.

“You never reported her missing?” Taehyung couldn’t understand how no one seemed to think it weird that she just disappeared.

 “Well it was weird, that one night she just never came back, so I told the school and even filed a missing person’s report but the police never got back to me and the school told me she had dropped out.” As thankful as he was, the girls nonchalant attitude towards Sohee annoyed him.

“To be honest you’re her ex-boyfriend aren’t you? You’re the guy in the pictures.” Taehyung nodded his head, he knew if he started talking he might get out of control. 

“What made you come back now? It’s been five years since she passed.”

“I just came back since being abroad.” Taehyung lied. 

“She dumped you didn’t she?” Taehyung looked at the roommate surprised. If only that was the truth. Instead he had let her die with a broken heart.

“What makes you think that?” He questioned still curious her reasoning.

“Everyone knew, at some point she was going to fall for the handsome Jeon Jungkook.” Why had Taehyung never heard of this? 

He remembered hearing about a tall handsome person that Sohee h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter