⚕ Recruitment

Your Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚕: Taehyung.2019

Taehyung stared at his phone dialing it one more time just in case that...

“THE NUMBER YOU HAVE DIALED NO IS NO LONGER CONNECTED, THE USER MAY HAVE CHANGED NUMBERS”

It had been like this for the past 2 days. He had called hundreds of times but he had never gotten a hold of it after. He knew he was crazy, he knew he was a lunatic to think that he could identify a person by a simple sigh. But he was sure of it. Even 6 years later he knew the sound of her breathing. 

Call him a psycho, but you weren't there that summer. Their first month of dating. They spent almost every second of everyday together, a fantasy that made Taehyung grin just thinking about it. Those long summer nights, where after spending the entire day having fun, he would watch her crawl beside him and rest her head against his shoulder. 

The tiny breaths that would come out of as he watched her peaceful expression for hours. All of those senses had been burned in his mind.

He was sitting inside Namjoon’s office, slumped against an office chair, his feet shaking the desk in front of him as he waited for Namjoon to return. It was his first day back at the hospital.

“You’re insane.” Namjoon’s voice rang out as soon as the door upon. “You’re absolutely insane. It was probably the wrong number and they just hung up.”

“I know, I know, but I can’t think of anything else.” Taehyung shook with his doubts.

He knew he was being stubborn but this was Sohee he was talking about. If there was even a chance that she was still alive he had to make sure. He hadn't been able to sleep, his mind so preoccupied thinking about her.

“I need to know that I’m wrong, I need to know that I’m crazy.” 

“Here. You’re crazy.” He handed him a file, it was a police report. “This is from my source in the police.”

“Hyung-nim, I’m so lucky to have someone like you.” He expressed in a young voice towards Namjoon as his eyes gravitated towards the file.

The phone number did indeed belong to an international number. It was a Chinese number.

“The phone is registered to a burner phone likely purchased in China.” 

“Isn’t that suspicious?” Taehyung had a million scenarios running through his mind. 

“It’s a spam call, Chinese scammers do it all the time to get you to buy things on the internet, they probably miscalled you. Even my friend who is a detective said that this is the most likely case.”

Taehyung bowed his head in defeat. He knew that Namjoon was right. He had gone crazy. 

He thought he had moved on, yet just the thought of her exhale had made him stupid.

Why? When he was just thinking about the possibility of truly loving another person. Why now, wasn't this too cruel?

“Besides, Doctor Park seems to have gotten closer to you.” His hyung suddenly pointed out reading his mind. "Don't think I didn't see the way you stared at her that night during the party."

“Just don’t-not right now.” He sighed brushing off Namjoon’s teasing.

“I’m just saying, if you could gain favor with the chairman like that. I’d be in a much better position.” Namjoon expressed with a smirk. 

Taehyung decided not to tell Namjoon what he had discussed with the chairman about that day. He was already so torn as it was.

“Ya! Hyung. Think of me please.” Taehyung whined throwing a mini temper tantrum. "I'm going crazy."

“Ok, ok.” Namjoon apologized patting him on the shoulder. “Anyways it's good to have you back.” 

Taehyung had been thrilled two days ago at the thought of going back. It had been 8 long days since his “vacation” and now he was ready to begin working again. Maybe that could get his mind off of the thoughts he had about her. 

“Work hard! Fighting!” Taehyung heard bellow behind him as he exited Namjoon's office. Immediately upon arriving on the VIP Wing he found the ever cute Nurse Lee and Nurse Jang waiting for him. 

“Good to see you back!” Nurse Lee congratulated him.

“We missed your skills a lot.” Nurse Jang added on.

“I’m glad to be back.” He replied stepping out. “Now who’s my first patient?”

“Actually, you just need to make your rounds and then we have some surgeries in the surgical wing that could use your supervision.” Nurse Lee explained. 

That was abnormal. There was always surgeries, and without any replacement hires they should've been backed up with surgeries for him.

“Director Jung has been on a roll since you left, he’s been completing more surgeries than ever. Sometimes I worry he doesn’t sleep.” Nurse Jang revealed her eyes filled with concern.

Leave it to Nurse Jang to have compassion on that selfish jerk.

But as he thought about it Taehyung wondered if that was the Director’s coping mechanism. Sure he had made a selfish decision at the time. But it made Taehyung wonder if Jaehyun had taken the breakup much harder than it had been on Chaeyoung.

“I see. Good for him.” Taehyung responded nonchalantly. He didn't have time to pity the director.

"Anyways, several patients have been complaining recently, saying that they miss seing your 'handsome' face every morning." Nurse Jang revealed with such seriousness that Taehyung almost didn't realize she was teasing him.

"Well, I shouldn't keep them waiting then." Taehyung smirked staring at the long hallway of expensive wooden doorways. Work would solve it. If he couldn't avoid these lingering feelings, then he'd just have to occupy his mind with so much work, he didn't have time to think about it.

 

⚕: Jaehyun

Jaehyun finally exhaled out as he finished the last stitching. He glanced up at the Doctor Min who stood frozen in the same place as when he entered. It was partially Jaehyun's fault he looked like a statue, his decision to perform the entire surgery himself. But it was partially the doctor's fault for not having enough experience be qualified to be working on this specific surgery.

He was a chief resident (5th year) in the Pediatric (child surgery) wing, the only available doctor for Jaehyun to bring in to dispel patient fears that their surgeon would be operating alone. Recently Jaehyun did all of the work himself when he could.

Operating was the only thing to get his mind off of his regret. The woman he had loved. He had lost. He had made a selfish decision and now he was paying for it.

“And finished.” Jaehyun announced towards his team. 

"Great work Director." The other doctors and nurses all nodded blankly and bowed towards him as he removed his scrubs. 

He ran the faucet outside and dipped his head inside. The freezing water ran down his face, washing off the tiny blood splots and sweat off his skin. He had honestly never thought that he would ever fall in love.

He had begun dating Chaeyoung because she was attractive and he knew he would be in a good position with the chairman if he dated her. Just like anything he did, he put in effort to be a good boyfriend, caring for her and showing her affection as best he could. But his heart had never really been in it. 

Then one day he realized he couldn’t let go of her. Maybe it was because of his jealousy as he noticed that she began to get closer to that idiot. Doctor Yoon. 

A careless doctor who’s only worry seemed to be his morals. Jaehyun despised him.

He doubted that Doctor Yoon had grown up the way he had. With parents who worked tireslessly just to keep a roof over their heads and a meal in his mouth at least once a day. 

His father who constantly got involved in gambling constantly came home wasted, forcing his mother to work several jobs to keep the loan sharks away. 

In that environement Jaehyun had no choice but to grow up quickly. To take responsibility for his family and work his hardest to build a better life for his poor mother. He knew that in order to do so, he would have to sacrifice everything. He gave up love, he gave up hobbies, he just focused on studying. 

That’s how he worked to become the youngest doctor to receive the professorate Degree.

Call him selfish but he couldn’t take chances, he never did anything to endanger himself. He protected himself first always.

So when he felt threatened for the first time, he didn’t know what to do. It wasn’t something he could just work harder at.

That’s how he lost her... Park Chaeyoung. She was gone. 

He glanced at his phone. There was several messages from LeeTeuk. That brat, he had threatened Jaehyun not to do the surgery with his position and now only Jaehyun was paying for it. 

That's when he noticed there was a message from the Chairman’s receptionist.

He opened it:

THE CHAIRMAN WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU

Jaehyun swiped towards his messages with Chaeyoung. They hadn’t texted in a week. His final message to her was: I’m sorry. Please forgive me.

She had never responded. That night. That night he had sent her that message... to be honest he had followed her. He had driven and found her in front of a conveniant store, they were together. All of his worse fears came true at that moment, as he watched Yoon Taehyung help his girlfriend into his car. 

He clenched his fists just thinking about it. He wanted to hate that bastard. He wanted to hate Yoon Taehyung. But that would just be blaming him for his own inadequacies. Jaehyun had enough pride not to let that happen.

Realizing thinking would only put him in a worse mood, he left towards the elevator to go meet the chairman. 

The receptionist beckoned him in and he entered into the large glass office. Jaehyun enjoyed visiting the chairman’s office, the large open space with accomplishments lining the walls. It motivated Jaehyun, he wanted it. One day he wanted to work in an office like this one day. 

“Four surgeries in one day.” The chairman's authoratative voice was distinct. “I didn’t know there were enough hours in the day for that.”

“They were all small surgeries.” Jaehyun answered puposely humbling his skills.

“You’re doing great work. Great work indeed.” The chairman was seated in his chair as usual. “However, I can’t have my best surgeon overworking himself.”

“I am not overworking myself I can assure you Chairman—” Jaehyun tried to assure him.

“I know why you’re working this hard. You think that it will make things better by working harder.” The chairman ignored his previous attempt. “Beating Doctor Yoon will not make you a better leader or surgeon. Beating him will not bring her back.” 

His words were harsh. It was as if the chairman could read into him. Jaehyun shuddered at the truth that was contained in the chairman’s words.

“You need a break, and I’ve decided to give you one.” 

“Chairman with all due respect, I don’t need—”

“I have a job for you.” He reached into his desk and pulled out a file. “I want you to scout this doctor.”

Scout someone? Was this why they had yet to hire a replacement for the other professors?

Jaehyun approached the desk and bowed as he received the file. He opened it, the report was surprisingly almost blank.

 

NAME: Shin Ryujin

LOCATION: SHANGHAI TOP UNIVERSITY OF MEDICINE

AGE: 28

POSITION: Assistant Director (VIP)

EXPERIENCE: Unknown

EDUCATION: Unknown

SPECIALIZATION: Unknown

 

Jaehyun noticed instantly, there was barely any information at all.

“Chairman. This doctor, lives in China?” Jaehyun was confused.

Sure they had a shortage of qualified doctors available, but there were still hundreds of promising new doctors every year from Korea. Why a doctor from China of all places?

“Correct. She is currently working at the most prestigious hospital in Shanghai, they are actually a hospital we have already established good connections with.” 

“Why a young doctor? Shouldn’t we scout a more experienced surgeon if we’re going to look internationally?” Jaehyun inquired, staring at the file.

“She’s 28. Yet she’s the assistant Director of their VIP wing. Don’t you find it interesting? I for one am fascinated.”

Jaehyun suddenly recalled why he had chosen to work at SoMyung of all the different prestigious hospitals of Korea that had offered him positions. He had been impressed by the wisdom and charisma of the chairman.

“Think of this as a vacation. I trust your judgement, if she is worth bringing over, offer her a competitive salary.”

“Yes sir.” Jaehyun bowed one last time as he stepped out of the office. 

He too was now starting to become interested in this mysterious doctor. It was uncommon for a Korean doctor to work in China much less hold such a high position at their hospitals. Factor in that she was so young as well. 28. 28. Where had he heard that number before?

That's right! She was the same age as Doctor Yoon. 

If she was as good as her position was. Perhaps Jaehyun had hope in beating that carefree bastard. 

 

 

That was how two days later Jaehyun found himself sitting in first class on a plane to Shanghai. 

“We’ll be landing soon sir, if we could take away any trash?” The hostess offered to take away any garbage. He shook his head. 

“Then maybe I could take away any stress?” The hostess winked at him.

He shook his head again politely and returned to reading. He had since been reading about the Shanghai Hospital. It like many of its branches had modeled itself after Korean hospitals including SoMyung. That’s why he had barely any information at all on their doctors. 

China, seemed to keep most of their doctors a secret from the outside world. Many of their greatest surgeons supposedly kept by the rich as personal surgeons. 

This specific hospital was run by its Chairman Wang Jixing. Thanks to some quick communication the hospital had already been contacted of his arrival and they had promised him nice accommodations. 

The plane touched down on the ground, its landing gear rolling along the runway as it jerked Jaehyun forward. 

He exited the plane with his small suitcase and was immediately met by two men in black suits along with another well dressed man who Jaehyun assumed was the translator. They had security behind them and they nodded as they escorted him through the busy airport. 

“Welcome to Shanghai Mr. Kim. We are happy to receive such a visit from a fine doctor as yourself and are excited to show you around our hospital.” The translator spoke as they completely skipped any checkpoints or airport security.

When Jaehyun stared in confusion at the special treatment the translator explained. “You are an important guest, so we have made arrangements for you to arrive at your hotel quickly.” Jaehyun was quite amazed at the special treatment. “Do you not have any bags?”

“No bags.” Jaehyun assured him. He had packed light.

Jaehyun sat in the limousine as it transported him from the airport to his hotel. Two attendants quickly took his suitcase and brought it up to his room.

He entered the luxurious suite and gasped, it was ginormous.

He now understood what it was like to be a VIP client. This was the kind of life he wished for himself and his mother.

“Sir, I hope you’ll settle in comfortably and in a few hours we can begin the hospital tour.” The translator revealed. 

Jaehyun nodded and entered deeper into the giant suite. It was two stories, a top floor with the bedroom and on the bottom a whole bar, living room, and jacuzzi located on an outdoor patio the size of a small house. 

He rested his  on one of the couches and contacted the chairman saying that he’d arrived.

“This is the life isn’t it.” He told himself as he lay on the giant king sized bed. 

He wondered what the day would bring.

He had decided for the time being to hide the fact that he had studied mandarin in college as a second language.

Over the past few hours he had studied several patient profiles who had supposedly been operated by Shin Ryujin. Jaehyun had to give it to her, it was impressive work. Many patients who should’ve suffered many side effects of a risky surgery suffered none. Clean and professional. This was exactly the kind of doctor he was looking for.

A few hours later, Jaehyun found himself once again riding in the limousine staring at the ginormous city that could rival Seoul in size and capacity.

Giant grey and glass skyscrapers reaching up far into the sky. They reflected the equally grey sky, the musty sky a tell of the amount of pollution

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter