⚕ I'll make things better

Your Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚕: Taehyung.2018

"Sir, we need your help in operating room 2." Taehyung had just finished inserting the new organ into his client. A rather smooth operation all things considered. But that had changed the moment he heard the frantic call of the nurse from the other room. 

"Mina, please help him finish up the suturing for the client. I trust you." Taehyung requested before throwing off his gloves and running to the other room.

Desperation forced his legs to carry him to the other operating room in a hearbeat even after a grueling 6 hour surgery. It was her. Her father had been unable to pay his debts and had hung himself. His wife and daughter with no way to pay them, the daughter was forced to donate her kidney.

Sakura was so young. She didn’t deserve this, she probably had never even heard of her father’s debts until a few months ago. He had to save her. He remembered her telling him she trusted him just the day before. After that conversation he had never been more determined to save the life of his patient. 

He barged into the room and placed a new set of gloves on, ignoring the surprised expressions of the other doctors. He rushed over to the patient, barely holding back his lingering emotions. He needed to stay calm. For her.

60 58 54 61 A normal rate for a patient under anesthesia. “Her heart rate is fine. What’s the problem?” He glanced over in frustration to the other surgeon after checking her pulse. 

“We need her other kidney.” A voice revealed. Taehyung turned to see Ryo standing in the room. His thin rimmed glasses reflecting the light, clouding his usual sinister eyes. “Another client just appeared and we don’t have another donor to match his needs.” 

“She’ll die!” Taehyung growled clenching his fists at his side. “We can wait, can’t we?” 

“We need that kidney.” 

Taehyung froze. There was a slight grin on Ryo’s lips and suddenly he wasn’t sure if he was telling the truth. Did he just want to cause Taehyung more pain?

In anger he rushed over to Ryo and grabbed him by the collar. “You monster! You’re lying, you piece of .”

Immediately the bosses bodyguards removed Taehyung from him and threw him against the floor. Taehyung locked eyes with the man he could only describe as a psychopath. He knew that the only thing Ryo cared about was his pride and money. This had to be his pride speaking.

Taehyung didn't care if he humiliated himself, he got on his knees. “Please. Let me save her. Don’t do this. I’ll do anything you want. I swear.” 

Tears poured down his face as he pleaded for her life. 

"I trust you Doctor-san. I've never seen you operate, but your eyes tell me you're someone I can trust."  It was her voice, he couldn't get it out of his head. 

“Oh, I do admire your persistence. But we do need that other kidney.” He said in a nonchalant voice as if someone’s life didn’t hang in the balance of his decision. "It's a lot of money we're talking about."

Taehyung felt his entire body shaking with fear. Desperation forcing him to think of anything to change the man's mind.

"The anesthesia will wear off soon, what is your decision boss?" The other surgeon requested.

“Dear me, look. Were running out of time, so I’ll make this quick.” He reached into his pocket pulling out his gun and pointed at Mina who had just entered the operating room. 

“Taehyung-kun.” She quickly gasped as she noticed the black weapon pointed towards her.  

“Choose.” Ryo threatened. 

Taehyung froze. He hesitated. He couldn’t choose, he cared about Mina. But he had promised he would save Sakura. Sakura...

“Fine, I’ll make the choice.” The gun fired and the bullet wooshed past Taehyung's head embedded itself directly behind him.

Pain. Taehyung already knew where the bullet had landed. He could hear the flustered beeping from the EKG, as the heart rate of his patient began to fall drastically.

“Oops I guess she’ll die anyways. May as well salvage a kidney and maybe a pancreas as well. I guess thinking on the fly does help.” Taehyung clenched his fist. His nails digging into his own palm. He didn't care if they tore through the flesh. He had failed her. 

He had calmed her and given her hope. Then, then he had killed her.

Tears began gushing from his eyes. Even through the blur, rage streamed through his veins at the blurry silhleoutte of Ryo. He wanted to kill him. Everything inside of him wanted to topple him over and strangle him to death.

“Doctor we need you now for the removal!” One of the assistants yelled. Taehyung didn’t budge. 

“Doctor Kim!” The other surgeon shouted staring helplessly at the dying figure.

Taehyung had no plans on ever following instructions anymore. This was the final straw. He didn't care if he died today. Getting shot seemed like a reasonable end to such a miserable life.

“Taehyung! Do as he says!” This wasn't Ryo, this wasn't the other surgeon, this wasn't even Mina.

Taehyung stared in surprise as he saw his father standing in the operating room. “If it can save a life. Do it! That's the hyppocratic oath.”

He didn’t have time to think about why he might possibly be at the clinic. Taehyung listened to his father's orders and with tears in his eyes, skillfully removed the final organ. He pushed every emotion to the side as he had learned to do after so many years of doing such monstrous work. It burned inside of him, how much he hated himself.

When he was done he couldn’t face her. He stormed out of the operating room in distress, ignoring his father who had surprisingly showed up.

Tears streaming down his face buried in his hands. He left the clinic, jumped into his car and drove off. 

He knew he shouldn’t. But he drove towards the only abode he could think of. Tokyo Harbor. There was a spot that looked out into the water.

He ignored the many honks that followed as he sped towards the location, swerving through traffic recklessly, his emotions completely overtaking him.

When he arrived, he stared out into the water. He wept. Screaming, crying, cursing. Why did this one affect him so much?

The girl, she was so innocent, she was so pure, she reminded him of her. He knew he shouldn’t have made the comparison. But to him, he had just killed her. He had just let her die. 

"I trust you." 

"I trust you Doctor-san." Her voice continued to echo in his mind. It made him pity her so much. It made him feel so miserable.

“Sakura! I’m sorry!” He cried dropping to his knees. “I’m sorry! I failed you. You never should've trusted me.” 

He stared down at his anklet. He wanted to rip it off, to jump into the ocean. To drown. She had called him doctor. Yet he wasn't one. 

“Son.” Taehyung could recognize his father's voice from anywhere. Somehow the limp man had followed him from the clinic to here. “I let you down.” 

Why was he here? How was he here?

Taehyung hadn’t even thought about the fact that he had left his father at the clinic. He turned to see his father standing there with his crutch, Mina standing behind a few paces away.

“What do you mean?” He was still gasping for air as he choked on the tears. His father struggled to move towards him but wrapped one arm around him. Taehyung trembled into his father's arms.

“I’m sorry. It’s not your fault.” He comforted him.

Taehyung never realized how much he needed to hear this. “You did your best. I know you wanted her to live, and I’m sorry.” 

Taehyung stared into his father's eyes. A warm sensation coming upon him. He embraced his father, tears still streaming down his cheeks. His sobs uncontrollable tearing from his throat.

“Don’t worry. Your appa will make things better.” 

Taehyung was comforted by the words that day. He had once again naively missed the loving expression that his father had for him. The same one he had that day. 

It should've been a warning. Taehyung should've known it foreshadowed an equally worse event. But he had missed it. Because of his stupidity.

“Son, I never wanted this for you.” His father whispered once again.

 

 

 

Taehyung walked towards his apartment. There were groceries in his hand as he walked peacefully through the crowded streets of Tokyo. He enjoyed walking around during the weekends he found it a way to clear his head. There were large electronic billboards everywhere with all sorts of things on them from sports to the news.

It had been two weeks since the day Sakura had died. Taehyung had slowly gained his composure. He needed to live again, if just for his father. 

“BREAKING NEWS: THIS JUST IN CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION EXPOSED FOR CONDUCTING ILLEGAL TREATMENTS” Taehyung stared at the billboard in dismay. Was that? Was that what he thought it was? 

“PROSECUTORS HAVE REVEALED THAT THEY HAVE RECEIVED VIDEO EVIDENCE, THOUGH THERE IS NO PRESS ACCESS, INVESTIGATIONS HAVE BEGAN”

Taehyung quickly ran to his apartment, perhaps there could be good news. If he and his father gained police protection… no the Yakuza had control over much of the police force. It felt hopeless. Was there a way they both survived this?

He ran into the apartment skipping the elevator and dashing up the stairs. Four flights of stairs seemed like nothing as he scrambled to grab the locked door handle.

Something was wrong. The ambiance seemed off.

He unlocked the door and walked inside. 

“Father?” 

He took another deeper inside. His father was seated on the couch. 

“For the first time. I’m going to make things right. As a father.” His father spoke. His voice was serious but there was sadness embedded deep inside of it. Taehyung couldn't see his face...

“Father. What are you talking about?” Taehyung was confused he couldn’t understand.

“I released the video.” The video on the news they we're talking about? Was that why he was there that day? What was he thinking?

“What are you talking about. We’re dead Father if they find out.” Taehyung began panicking. How could his father be so reckless and stupid? 

“No. Son. I want you to be happy from now

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter