⚕ Waver

Your Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚕: Taehyung

“Did you hear about last night?” 

“Of course, but I left early last night. What do you think will happen to Doctor Yoon?” 

“He’ll be fired for sure.” 

“No way, he’s way too important for them to fire him.”

“But I hear the chairman ordered himself not to operate.”

"Isn't that medical malpractice to continue to operate anyways?"

“By the way, why do you think the chairman’s daughter was so hung up on the patient?”

“No one knows exactly, but I heard that she was a close aunt to her or something."

"Don't you think its suspicious that she has the same last name as her, but isn't a So either?"

At such a prestigious university Hospital such as SoMyung, 50% of Interns and Residents hailed from SKY medical programs (Top 3 Schools in Korea), 20% hailed from Prestigious Universities abroad, and the last 30% came from less well known medical schools in Korea. This meant that the probability of one of the residents who was gossiping wasn't well educated was less than 30%.

Yet such stupid and unfounded gossip still seemed to fill the air around him. It was rather depressing to be honest. 

Taehyung rolled his eyes as he leaned against a chair in the open coffee shop located in the center of SoMyung Hospital. 

Call him a coward, but he had come here hoping to just relax and enjoy some peace, but he couldn't ignore the many stares and gossip. He knew even if he left to the VIP wing, the gossip would still follow.

“Ignore them.” Doctor Kim took the seat in front of him. Kim Ahyoung, a baby faced beauty who had recently selected Taehyung as her romantic prey. 

“They just don’t know you.” She commented placing her elbows on the table as she gazed right at him.

Unfortunately for her, Taehyung felt absolutely nothing staring right back. In fact, he had heard her gossiping with nurses as he entered through the parking lot.

"What school did you go to?" Taehyung inquired sarcastically. Curious about his hypothesis.

“Yonsei Medical, we went to the same program, we must've overlapped a year at some point, it's such a shame I never spotted a charming doctor like you.” She brushed her hair behind her ear. 

"Ah, makes sense." Taehyung confirmed internally, now grinning towards the oblivious doctor. He stood up grabbing his coffee in one hand to head to work. He had to face it at some point. He wasn't going to run away anymore.

"Why didn't you ask me?" The doctor suddenly questioned. "To help?"

Taehyung wondered if he could cite her lack of focus, indifference towards the well being of patients, and shaky hands so openly. 

“I didn’t want to put anyone else in danger that I didn’t need to.” He settled on, not wishing to create any more enemies.

“Are you saying you didn't want me to get hurt?” She teased clearly missing his implications.

“Would you have come?” He changed the subject.

“Maybe, if there was an incentive.” She made her way beside him, her arm brushing against his.

“How about saving a patient?” Taehyung winked towards her before leaving behind the stunned doctor.

“Good luck!” She smiled waiving as he left. 

Taehyung took the elevator up towards the top floor once again bracing himself. To be honest, he hadn’t really thought about what he would do next. He was about to be fired.

Should he open up the clinic like his father? Maybe just live in the country side. Would that be too scarring? Would his memories with her haunt him?

He had these thoughts as he entered the chairman’s office. To his surprise no one else was there. No Vice Chairman, no Director Jung. It was just the two of them.

“Please have a seat.” The chairman was already seated at his desk. A file in his hand. 

Taehyung sat on the sofa facing him.

“I did a little digging.” The chairman began. "And the two doctors who were promoted when your father was fired. Can you guess who they were?"

Taehyung had a feeling, but he wanted to be sure. "Professor Kwon, and Professor Im." The two professors who had scemed against him that night with Director Ko.

"Yes, back then I was lacking as a Vice Chairman and couldn't expose their greed. Because I myself was greedy." His deep voice was mysterious. Taehyung wondered why he was being told this. Wasn't he going to talk about the operation? "And as you can see, I am still a greedy man today."

“That is why I can’t let you go like I did your father.” The chairman stated. “You’re just too valuable of a doctor for me to lose.” 

“If you fire those other doctors and nurses…” Taehyung expressed in concern for his innocent teammates. 

“I don’t plan to, they are also very good at what they do. But I can’t allow this to go unpunished there is the reputation of the hospital at stake.” He continued. “Your salary will be docked, along with a one week suspension starting now.”

Of course. Reputation. Just the word seemed so pointless and stupid. Yet how someone perceived you, had once defined Taehyung's entire life.

He had been so concerned with how others viewed his relationship, that he had pushed away someone he shouldn't have. 

He wasn't so different back then. 

“I understand sir.” Taehyung nodded accepting the consequence as he prepared to leave.

He took two steps towards the door—“Now off the record.” Taehyung stopped at the chairman's words. His hand hovering over the door handle.

“I’m proud of you. You see, Chaeyoung may never know this. But I truly loved her mother. That’s why we couldn’t be together.” 

Taehyung wasn’t sure how to react, perhaps pity, perhaps disappointment. Taehyung couldn’t understand why politics could ever go above love.

“I know, you must look at me as a disappointment of a father. You’re quite right. I regret that. I have many regrets you see.” The chairman walked towards him, placing his large hand on his shoulder. “I see much of your father in you, the same way I see much of myself in Director Jung.”

Taehyung nodded still unsure of what he was leading to. What was he trying to say?

“That’s why I hope that someday, someday. You’ll be the one to hold Chaeyoung’s hand.” 

Taehyung wasn’t sure of how to react. “Sir, I…”

“Not now, maybe not ever, but as a father I can wish. Right?” He spoke out loud his usual commanding voice now much more retrospective. “You may leave Doctor Yoon, have a good rest and come back ready to work in 8 days.”

Taehyung left the office very much confused, before pondering it more. He realized at that moment that he in a sense had been given a vacation. 

He hadn't had a vacation in well... since ever. It occured to him, that he may as well reward himself. He hadn't even taken days off when he started dating Jennie.

A world of excitement awaited him, not that he had friends besides the men at the gym he had befriended. But still, they had offered clubbing, parties, and nights of fun before. The idea didn't sound horrible. He was after all, young, handsome, and single. 

 

Taehyung wasn't sure what he was doing here to be perfectly honest. But he couldn't help but pity the weeping girl in front of him. 

She was really letting go. Her hands covering her face. Loud whines erupting from behind the 10 slim fingers. 

He stared at the 4 green bottles standing on the cheap rubber table. They were in front of a convenience store. The last place Taehyung had expected to spend the first night of his "vacation". He could've been clubbing or spending the night out in the town, instead he was here.

"Why?" A question that Taehyung had repeated to himself several times. "Why did he choose that bastard over me?" 

He knew. He knew from the night before that she was talking about Jung Jaehyun. He knew that she hadn't shown up for work today either. 

"If you love me shouldn't you take my side?" 

Taehyung nodded. "Of course, but his position as the Director was at risk." Taehyung knew, that as much as he disagreed with Director Jung's final choice, Taehyung had a lot less to lose than the latter.

"Why are you defending him now? You told me you hated that bastard too!" She accused in her drunken stupor. 

Taehyung chuckled as he shook his head. She was different. Not once. Not once could he remember Sohee showing this side to him. Then again, he couldn't remember seeing any of her bad sides. Had that been intentional? 

It made him regret. He wished he could've seen this side of her. Looking at Chaeyoung it was oddly cute. 

"I don't agree with him, but if I only agreed with you, what kind of help would I be?" Taehyung attempted to reason with a drunk girl. He almost laughed again. 

"Help? That's right! Why did you help me huh? Why you of all people?" The girl shot out her hand, her pointer finger moving dangerously close to Taehyung's eye. 

It was rather amusing watching the curious gaze on her face. Yet knowing fully well she wouldn't remember any of this when she woke up.

"You jerk. You bad person." She mumbled. 

"What?" Taehyung was ok with most of her insults. But Jerk seemed a little far. Did she mistake him for Jaehyun?

"You jerk! Yoon Taehyung. You always tease me. You always correct me. You always humiliate me."

Taehyung had to admit, her case justifying calling him a jerk, was starting to gain leverage.

"Fair." Taehyung leaned back into his chair as he sipped on the soda he had in his hand. He knew he would have to drive her home. Slightly afraid that if he didn't several poor bystanders might get into her drunken rampage. This was his community service.

"Let's get you home then." Taehyung stood up dusting off his trench coat and heading to help her.

"You!" She stood up abruptly, her eyes darting between him and the empty spaces beside him. "Why is it that after all of your teasing? Why do I feel so confused about my feelings?" 

Taehyung dropped the can of soda. The aluminum clattering against the dirty ground, his jaw dropping as he stared directly at her. Had she just said what he thought

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter