⚕ Scheme

Your Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚕: Chaeyoung.2019 (7 months later)

It was almost midnight when she finally reached the roof. At first she was startled by the sight of someone else. Standing by the edge, staring wistfully into the night. But her worries slowly calmed as she realized who it was. 

It was not her boyfriend. It was the surgeon she had just operated with. Someone who truthfully, she had not seen for a while. It had already been a year since he had started working at SoMyung, but she only operated with him when Jaehyun already had enough help or Doctor Ko was busy. It was almost like fate was telling her to stay away from the mystery of a man who had for one moment made her waver.

So instead Chaeyoung watched him gaze into the distance. They were on the hospital roof. A spot that Jaehyun had introduced her to. A quiet place where he told her he just liked to enjoy the fresh air. Like Doctor Yoon, Jaehyun was a workaholic who seemed to spend his free moments not on his phone, but in thought.

“Isn’t it great?” He suddenly spouted aloud. Was he talking to her? "Doctor Park."

“What?” She cleared embarrased that he had noticed her.

“That feeling, that feeling of saving someones life.”

They had just successfully completed a Thoracic Dissection repair. The surgery had one of the highest mortality rates and the family of the older man had braced for the worst. But with Taehyung's skills, he would be fine.

“Someone’s father, someone’s husband, someone’s son. Today, we saved that someone.” 

“It feels great.” She admitted making her way beside him. Slightly curious what it was he was staring at so intently.

She knew that not every surgery would be successful, that sometimes it was out of the control of the doctor. But when everything went right, when the surgery went well it was a great feeling. That was what she realized she had become a doctor for.

“How’s things with Director Boring?” He questioned out of the blue.

“Good.” Things were ok. He still was his normal self, a robot. “And stop calling him that, it’s not his fault he has a better personality than you.” 

Taehyung chuckled his eyes still glued to the sky. “Whatever you say.”

“How are things with Miss Celebrity?” 

She remembered only a week after she had picked him up that day. She had returned as his girlfriend and started a chain of gossip and rumors at the hospital. A week later the news began to speculate about a handsome doctor dating the famous singer. However, as all scandals did. News about them quieted down, and since she had purposely avoided him. She had no clue how things were now.

“She dumped me.” Chaeyoung had not expected that answer, it had only been seven months since they had started dating.

“I’m sorry.” Chaeyoung apologized somewhat flustered by his sudden response.

“She went to go film her drama somewhere in Europe. It’s been about two months though since she dumped me.” He was surprisingly calm about it, perhaps too calm. 

“It is what it is, I’m a doctor, she’s an actress we’re busy.” She could tell he was lying. 

She had a feeling that he probably still had regrets over his first love. His infamous first love, someone only Chaeyoung knew of, the girl in the picture he used to constantly look at. With how much he still seemed to love that girl, it was no wonder that no one could take his heart.

“Well, I guess if you’re ok than that’s good.” Chaeyoung commented trying her best to comfort him.

Taehyung sighed as he shook his head. “The main problem is all the gossip now. The other doctors and nurses are always asking about her.” 

She hit him on the back. “Pabo-ya, that’s why you don’t ever date a celebrity.” 

“Is that right?” Taehyung chuckled as he raised an eyebrow towards her, but he wasn’t smiling.

“Do you want to go for a drink?” Chaeyoung offered. 

“As if, I’ve seen first hand what you look like when you’re drunk.” Taehyung . “I don’t know how your boyfriend handles you.”

They both left the rooftop back into the main building, heading back towards the VIP wing. 

"Assistant Professor Yoon." She had almost forgotten. He had been promoted since then. He was now an assistant professor. 

But the voice was not her, no it came from a man who looked to be in his mid 60s, an older doctor who she recongized as Professor Kwon.

"Professor Kwon." Both of them bowed respectfully to the accomplished doctor as he approached them.

"I heard about your surgery. I wanted to congratulate you Doctor Yoon. You're really impressive." He congratulated him in a deep voice. 

However, in Yoon Taehyung's eyes she didn't see gratitude. No, she saw something much different. Resentment.

"Really? You told that family that they had no chance. That they should apply for life insurance instead." Taehyung responded his voice clearly holding back anger.

Chaeyoung immediately nudged her elbow into his arm. No matter how talented he was, this was Professor Kwon, he had been at SoMyung for 40 years now. The definition of a Doctor who started from the bottom and put in the time. Her father could go on and on about how much he prized Professor Kwon.

"Did I? I don't really remember that. It must be my old age getting to me. You know how many patients I meet with everyday." The older man muttered. "Besides... not everyone can be the prodigy surgeon of the VIP Wing. Some of us just have to help those less fortunate make the right choice."

"Right choice?" Chaeyoung could see the hatred in Taehyung's eyes as well as hear it in his voice. She had never seen anything like it. "So saving the patient isn't the right choice?"

Suddenly the Professor grabbed the shoulder of Taehyung aggressively. "You know, I heard that very same statement from someone who looked just like you. Many years ago. 

Chaeyoung noticed that Taehyung was suffering. 

"He masqueraded as a righteous doctor, and then we found out... in the brightest light, his pride and arrogance got the best of him." Who was he talking about? She could see whoever he was referring to was causing an imense amount of pain to Taehyung. He was clenching his fists into small balls by his side.

"I wonder whatever happened to him."

"I'm sorry, I'm not feeling too well Professor, please excuse us." Chaeyoung spouted out of the blue interrupting their face off. She grabbed his arm and dragged him with her towards the VIP wing, to the horror of the professor. 

As soon as they were out of sight, she noticed Taehyung crouch against the floor, breathing rhythmically. 

"What's wrong? Who was he talking about?" Chaeyoung questioned in concern. That's when she noticed it. Tears pouring down his eyes. It was just like that day, in the ER. He was human after all.

"Taehyung. Are you ok?" She crouched next to him. "Is it about the girl again?"

Taehyung shook his head. He was still breathing hard as he slowly calmed himself. "I'm fine." He growled as Chaeyoung flinched by his words.

He was clearly not fine.

"Chaeyoung, forget that ever happened. Please." He mumbled as he began to trudge away. 

"Taehyung." 

 

⚕: Taehyung

"You know I'm always happy to meet with you Doctor Yoon. Or shall I say Assistant Professor Yoon. But what brings you to my office so unannounced?" The chairman stated as he sat down at his desk. He truly comanded authority in the fitted grey suit he wore that probably costed millions of won. 

"I want to know the truth." Taehyung suddenly spouted out. "Why did my father leave the hospital?"

The chairman bent over coughing out the water he had just drank. 

"Your father?"

Taehyung shook his head. He had always been told his father left on his own... because of the divorce. But was there more?

The chairman eyed his suspiciously. He was hiding something. "Why do you ask?"

"Professor Kwon. He told me my father was kicked out for malpractice." The chairman didn't flinch this time, leaning more comfortably against his leather seat.

"He was." 

That was it? There was no way, his father wasn't that kind of person.

"I never told you the truth, because your father clearly didn't tell you for a reason." The chairman revealed. 

His father had hidden this from him. Why?

"Kim Tae-on was the best doctor, he spent nights helping patients in the ER and grew the VIP Wing into what it is today." The chairman stood up from his seat walking towards the large glass window facing out into Seoul. "But the divorce took a toll on him."

Taehyung knew this much. He remembered the long arguments his parents would get into. He remembered how he used to resent his father for caring so much about patients and yet neglecting his own family. 

"A few days after he told me he was getting divorded, against my and the boards own wishes he operated on a patient." The chairman almost seemed to be reminscing now. "It was a 2% success rate."

"What?" Even Taehyung knew that no doctor in their right mind would ever take on such a risky operation. But realized at that time his father must have not been in his right mind.

"That patient died in surgery." He continued his story. "And the family despite begging him to perform the surgery, later under the influence of other jealous doctors began to sue him for medical malpractice. They denied ever requesting for him to perform surgery and that he had done it all of his own will."

Taehyung stared in disbelief. Who were these people? Why would they do that? 

"So you let him take the fall?" Taehyung questioned. Burning with anger.

"I didn't, I protected him as best I could. I told him that he didn't have to take the fall and that the hospital would sue the family for defamation. I even looked into the jealous doctors who turned the family against him." 

"Then why?" Taehyung raised his voice. 

The door burst open as a large male attendant entered. Taehyung realized his mistake and quickly bowed his head apologetically. "No its fine." The chairman assured the guard.

"He told me that it was his fault. And that he didn't deserve to be a doctor anymore. In a sense he quit on me. With no choice, I had to let him take the fall. But when I found out years later that he had opened up a small clinic, I scouted him once again. Everyone did." 

Taehyung sighed. It was so much to process. He still couldn't understand why his father let others tarnish his reputation. But that was why he wasn't like his father. He was a dirty doctor, still trying to atone for his sins. 

"I'm sorry." The words shook him. "I should've never let him go." 

He could hear trembling in the strong prideful man's voice. "If he had stayed, maybe that would never have happened to you and your father."

Taehyung could feel tears start to form in his own eyes. It was very possible. Maybe Taehyung would've grown up like a normal boy. Become a normal doctor.

Taehyung stared at the makeshift memorial that he had purchased. It didn't have any specific name on it. But he had filled it with items and names of all those he had lost.

A picture of his father. 

Names of all of the patients he could remember operating on in Japan. And finally... he placed the polaroid of Sohee. She had her own resting place but this would do.

"I'm sorry Sohee. I hope you can be reborn and meet someone who will truly treasure you." Taehyung whispered bowing his head. Final farewell tears slipping from his eyes. He had mourned for her long enough. His regret had destroyed his relationship with Jennie, and now once again he was alone.

Glancing around at the other glass displays he sighed before heading out of the columbarium. A large building with rows upon rows of glass walls allowing family to see the shrines set up of their deceased loved ones. It had been a year since he had first set this one up for his father. He tried to visit as often as he could... but it wasn't easy. It reminded him of his sacrifice. 

What was he doing now? Was he living up to what his father could've been doing? His father might've saved twice the patients he had by now. 

 

 

 

“Scalpel.” Doctor Ko handed him the freshly cleaned scalpel. 

Taehyung began his second incision. He was operating on a patient with an infected spine. One of the most dangerous surgeries to perform. Any wrong cut or slight mishap could result in permanent paralysis or worse. 

“Forceps.” Taehyung lasered in on the patient in front of him the bright LED shining onto the opened up patient. The young man in front of him had done nothing wrong but live his life and yet now could lose permanent ability to sit up straight. 

“Don’t mean to put any added pressure, but we have quite an audience today.” Doctor Jin commented nonchallantly as he stabilized he patient.

Two famous medical journals had come to watch him, one from Korea, the other all the way from England. Not to mention many fellow surgeons and even other Hospital professors had come to watch. He wondered internally how many hoped he failed the surgery, knowing that both he and Director Jung were quite unpopular because of their high positions at such young ages.

“Than I guess it’s on us to put on a show.” Taehyung announced in as cheerful voice as he could. Though he didn't show it, he did feel an enormous weight on his shoulders to succeed.

He noticed that the usual talkative Doctor Ko was quiet, more than usual. Doctor Ko who loved to murmer under his breath and complain about Taehyung’s orders had been silent for the beginning of the surgery.

“Doctor Ko you ok?” Taehyung asked making sure he was active and awake.

“Yes sir.” He was surprisingly obedient. It felt strange.

The surgery continued smoothly as Taehyung removed the infected bone from the back. 

“Doctor Ko, let’s begin reconstruction.” He announced as the silent doctor joined him with his tools. 

“Knot.” Nurse Lee handed him a piece of suture. 

Taehyung glanced at the clock the operation would take at least another hour if not more.

"Vitals are stable." Doctor Jin commented from the side. 

Out of the corner of his eye Taehyung noticed something... something odd. 

Taehyung spotted the work the hands of Doctor Ko. He had very loosely stitched together part of the patient, it was not an obvious mistake, but once they began the next part of the surgery could set off a chain of problems. 

Taehyung knew that this was not a mistake Doctor Ko should have made. Despite his shortcomings as a person, he was nevertheless a skilled doctor. He locked eyes with his resident and for a second there was a look of satisfaction in his eyes. The doctor’s eyes darting between the patient and the observation deck. The confident grin of Professor Kwon. 

Taehyung had found it strange when the Professor had wished him luck before the surgery

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter