⚕ Attending Surgeon

Your Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
⚕: Taehyung.2018

Taehyung looked himself down one more time before leaving the apartment. 

He wore a white button down shirt paired with a pair of dark blue slacks followed by a light grey trench coat. His athletic build a compliment to a handsome face with mid length black hair parted down the middle. Ever since working in Japan he had to admit he had begun lifting weights, part came with the job of being a doctor. However, he himself believed him to be a much more attractive person.

“Here goes nothing. For you father.” He straightened his hair one more time and exited his apartment only needing to take one flight of stairs before he was met by Namjoon. 

Namjoon drove to the hospital and a valet took the car as they both stepped out. Taehyung gasped staring at the giant hospital. 

It was everything that he had imagined. The scuffle of people coming in and out constantly, the receptionists working at the desks, the large clean interior of a state of the art University Hospital. Doctors and nurses running around to help incoming patients. He had read that this hospital had over 300 medically trained personel, divided into interns (1st year), residents (2-6 years usually), fellows (pursuing specialized training), attendings (completed specialized training), and professors (mastered specialized field and gained PH.D). 

SoMyung was the real deal, and here he was about to become a doctor here. He wondered if he would have to start from the bottom. Considering he had never attended medical school he would likely become a resident or given his skills, perhaps a fellow.

Walking inside, immediately several people greeted Namjoon, sending him curious stares. Taehyung could feel the gazes of several people as he followed close behind Namjoon feeling slightly awkward. 

“Follow me.” Namjoon led him into the large glass elevator that looked out into the vast white interior of the hospital and up to the top floor.

They entered through the hallway of the floor, to a set of large brown doors with a Chairman sign on the side. An assistant bowed to both of them and several doors were opened as they proceeded deeper into the building. 

“Mr. Kim Taehyung.” The voice was filled with authority. He knew it no doubt belonged to the Chairman.

An older man who seemed to be in his mid 60s. Even in his old age he was massive, easily 6’0 and a muscular sturdy frame. He was exactly what Taehyung had pictured of a CEO. He wore a fancy dark blue suit. 

Namjoon bowed and taking note Taehyung did the same. “Chairman.” 

“Please have a seat.” He motioned towards a couch. 

They both took a seat on the comfy sofas located in front of the large wooden desk with the golden placard on top. 

CHAIRMAN: SO HYUNWOO

“I look forward to seeing your skills. Based on your resume and work so far, I have granted you a Professional Doctorate of Medicine.” He motioned for his assistant and a young women entered with a leather envelope, she handed it to him. Taehyung slowly flipped it open and read it.

“Attending Physician. As thankful as I am, I never graduated medical school, I have never even served my residency. Are you sure?” Taehyung felt like he was being given too much. Sure it would be a great resume, but it also meant there was a lot on his shoulders, not that he wasn’t used to it. 

“Your father was the best doctor in this hospital once. I scouted him myself, years ago when my father was unsure of my ability to run a hospital. Your father never once let me down, except when he left to open his own clinic.” He sat down in his seat. “If you’re even half as good as him you are more than qualified.”

“If I may, Kim Taehyung graduated early from John Hopkins undergraduate medical program with high marks and on full scholarship. Several professors saved his final thesis paper and wrote him recommendations. If it wasn’t for his circumstances, I’m sure he’d have graduated from a prestigious medical school as well.” Namjoon chimed in emphasizing Taehyung’s abilities.

Taehyung stared at the placard.

YONSEI COLLEGE OF MEDICINE MEDICAL DOCTORATE PRESENTED TO:

Yoon Taehyung 

He had dreamed of gaining a diploma. He had dreamed of showing it to his father and seeing the proud eyes in his father.

He dreamed of holding it proudly next to Sohee, graduating together. This had been his dream. And it felt rushed receiving it all at once. He felt as if he was being given something he hadn't earned. Just seeing a name other his own on the certificate... made him uncomfortable.

“I saw your work.” Taehyung stared at the Chairman who had continued talking. “You see.”

The chairman nodded towards the door and the female assistant promptly disappeared closing the door behind them. “You operated on my son.” 

Taehyung felt a chill down his spine as he listened. “I had no other option, my son was in an accident and needed a transplant in a month. With all the money and power I had. There was no legal way for him to get one in time.” 

Taehyung tried to recall all the patients he had operated on in the last 5 years. It had to be hundreds, he couldn’t recall all of them but he still felt hatred burn inside of him.

“That’s why I trust you. I had my best doctors analyze your job, they all commended the work saying they had never seen such clean work.” 

“So you, like every other client, sacrificed the organ of an innocent person.” Taehyung’s voice had turned cold as he remembered all the pain he had gone through.

“Watch your tone.” Namjoon grabbed Taehyung’s arm and squeezed tightly. His eyes pleading for Taehyung to remain respectful.

“No you’re quite right. I cheated per say. Because in the end, as a father, had to do whatever it took to keep my son healthy.” He paused. “Though you may not understand it now. Your father did the same for you. Think of this as a way of making right a wrong.”

Taehyung understood that similar to the way he donated much of the money he received for the surgeries. The chairman was clearing his conscience.

“Don’t think I’m not a business man though. I expect you to operate as well and better than the other doctors. Yoo Namjoon the Assistant Director of SoMyung’s VIP Wing has high hopes for you.”

“Yes sir, I will teach him respect as well.” Namjoon clenched his hand around Taehyung’s arm yanking him toward the door.

At that moment the door swung open once again. 

“Father!” In walked in a man in his mid 30s. Glasses with a slick back haircut. His expensive suit and poise identified him as the Chairman’s son. 

“Is this the doctor you let director Yoo bring in?” He voiced in annoyance.

The chairman nodded and both Namjoon and Taehyung backed away. Taehyung noticed Namjoon’s shoulders tense.

“I don’t understand why he’s here.” He turned to Taehyung a look of disgust in his eyes. As if belittling Taehyung for the work he did. 

This was the person he had saved?

“I already recruited a Professor to act as the new Director. The very best! Do you really not trust me father?” 

“I have already made this decision and I hope you’ll respect it.” His father sighed. “Director Jung is doing a fine job, but I believe with Doctor Yoon’s help we will climb to the top.” 

Taehyung began to understand everything now, he had been recruited as a political move.

“Please let me talk about this with you alone.” On his command, Namjoon dragged Taehyung out with him. He could see in the corner of his eye Namjoon mouth a curse word towards the son as he left.

Taehyung locked eyes with the secretary and issued a silent thank you. She smiled brightly. After living in Japan for so long, he couldn’t help but playfully flirt with a pretty Korean woman.

He redirected his attention to Namjoon. “Explain.”

“Whatever you’re thinking you’re right, I won’t lie. I lost my ability to operate 3 years ago. With it I lost my position as Director of the VIP wing.” He sighed recalling clearly some dark past. “I have a lot of stock in you, I want to climb up the ladder, but I can’t do it without a star doctor under my wing.”

“That’s where I come in.” Taehyung understood slowly nodding.

 Politics, no matter where he went the rich and powerful in the end interfered in his life. “You’re right. I promise I want you to succeed as well for your sake.” 

Taehyung realized that no matter what he said it didn’t change the situation. Besides, he had already put everything on the line to return to Korea himself. 

“Do one thing for me then with all that money you have.” Taehyung requested.

“What is it?” Namjoon questioned.

“Find a girl for me. Han Sohee, she was a medical student at Seoul National University five years ago. She was a third year by then.” 

“Who’s she?” Namjoon stared at him confused.

“Just find her. Please.” Taehyung had a desperateness in his voice and Namjoon seemed to understand. 

Namjoon reached into his pocket and beckoned for him to leave he had a phone call.  “Fifth floor that’s where the VIP ward is, I’ll meet you there and introduce you.”

Taehyung walked towards the large glass elevator taking it down towards the fifth floor. He sighed as he leaned against the elevator, processing everything he had just heard. 

On the 7th floor, a middle aged women entered the elevator with two nurses accompanying her and what seemed to be her young child clutching onto her hand. 

“We’ll set up a surgery room for you in three days, for now rest at home and come into the patient center tomorrow.” Taehyung overheard the older nurse tell the women. 

“Thanks so much.” The lady thanked them bowing her head. 

“My mommy will be alright?” The daughter asked the two nurses in a cute voice. 

“Yes your mother will be just—” 

“Ahh!” The lady shrieked in pain out of nowhere, collapsing onto her knees. The two nurses rushed to help her.

Taehyung knew it was his first day and he shouldn’t interfere. But watching her in pain... he felt the pain he felt for all of his patients. He wasn’t working for Ryo anymore, he had no reason to hold back any longer. He was a doctor now. A real doctor.

A second later, he rushed forward kneeling in front of the lady. 

“What’s her condition?” He immediately inquired, trying to prescribe a solution. 

“Excuse me? Who are you?” A younger voice that belonged to one of the nurses questioned. 

“I’m a doctor.” He spouted out in a firm voice, he wasn't used to being questioned. “Now tell me.”

“She has total gastrectomies.” The older nurse explained. 

The women had collapsed onto the ground her hands trembling. Her daughter crying as she watched from afar, one of the nurses holding her back. 

“Mommy!” She cried trying to rush over. 

Taehyung quickly removed his coat and felt the women’s pulse. 70 65 56 48.  He listened only for a second before identifying the previous doctor's mistake.

“No, she has liver cirrhosis, her IVC just collapsed.” He told the nurse. 

“What? But Doctor Kim already prescribed—” The younger nurse countered.

“Where’s the nearest surgery room?” He cut her off. He didn’t have time, if he was right, this patient didn’t have time to spare. 

“5th floor. but—“ As if on cue the doors opened at the fifth floor. A surprised patient noticed the ongoing scene and quickly backed away.

“Let’s get her on a bed now!” He ordered.

“But this is the VIP ward.” The nurse replied. “They’re only supposed to be for our—“

“Does that matter right now? Can you walk?” 

The lady groaned in pain, and slowly shook her head. He quickly scooped her up in his arms and carried her out of the elevator as the nurse led him inside. He entered through the fancy doorway two sliding glass doors opening to a light wooden hallway containing several rooms with wooden placards on each side. 

“Are there any empty beds?” He shouted struggling to carry the patient.

“Excuse me?” The younger nurse working at the front desk inquired.

“This patient's IVC collapsed and has upper GI bleeding. She needs surgery immediately!” 

“Sir the ICU (intensive care unit) is on the third floor.”

“I need to stabilize her.” He was getting annoyed. Even with the incompetence of the doctors in Japan, they would always listen to him.

“She might die.” He pleaded, realizing only his sincerity could convince others. He gazed directly into the nurse's eyes. “Please.”

The nurse quickly realizing the severity of the situation, nodded her head. “Room 7 is open.” 

Taehyung quickly carried the woman into the luxurious VIP room and lay her down on the bed. The two nurses quickly got to work answering his commands as he barked orders. He grabbed a clean pair of gloves he found outside the room and got to work. 

“Excuse me, but who are you?” 

Taehyung stopped for a moment and noticed that a pretty young lady in a white doctors coat around his age was standing in the doorway. She had long blond hair and pretty brown eyes. Just judging by her appearance he could tell she was too young to be a qualified physician.

“I’m the person trying to save her life.” He knew that he wasn’t wearing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter