Chapter 6

My best friend's girlfriend

We did not see each other for a week, and I was dying. Minji got stuck at work, and Bora, as my friend told me, went on a business trip. Something related to one of the branches of their network. I looked like a zombie. I went to work, stayed there until late at night and returned home. Minji only came to see me on Friday night. I was glad to see her. I had strange mixed feelings - I knew that Minji was dating the woman I'd dreamed of for over a week, but I wasn't angry. Yes, I was jealous of her, but not enough to start hating her or thinking about how to separate them. I regretted not having met Bora at first. How many times have I replayed in my head how it would have turned out if I had met her before Minji. Maybe she'll like me? We would start dating. And I was sure that I would put my head in a dead end, just to make Bora the happiest woman in the world. But fate decreed otherwise, and Minji met her. I just had to watch the development of their relationship and quietly whine at night in the pillow.

Perhaps if she had met someone other than Minji, I would have moved away from my principle of not getting into a relationship, and would have broken free, gnawing Bora for myself. May be. But she was with Minji.

- Of course next Saturday,” Minji said, taking a bite of the pizza she had brought, “Bora is hosting a housewarming party. You are of course invited. There will be few people, only our own. So think about a gift. What to give for housewarming? Minji asked me.

- Well, yes, probably. Usually they give something to home. Well, there are decorations, decor ... Or something useful. Have you already figured out what?  - I asked in response, also tearing myself off a piece of juicy pizza.

- No,” Minji waved her hand carelessly. - I'll drop by at Leroy later. Or Ikea. I'll pick up something. You can come with me.

- Okay, - I nodded, although an interesting thought has already begun to emerge in my head. But for that I needed to talk to Handong. - How are you with her? I asked, trying to make my voice as casual as possible.

- Fine, - Minji shrugged. She never really went into the details of her relationship, so such an answer was commonplace.

- You're lucky to have her. 

- Yeah. Listen, you saw that new episodes of "The Penthouse: War in Life" were released, maybe let's take a look? -Minji changed the topic, which I was not at all surprised. She never, even at the institute, was not open and did not like to talk about feelings. Never.

- Yes, come on, - I agreed, realizing that this "emotional conversation" is over.

I had a great housewarming gift idea - I wanted to find a painting of Bora's father. And who, if not an artist, can help me with this?

By nine I was at Handong with Wheein.

When I explained to Wheein and Handong, who were asking everything in great detail - what, how, for whom and what exactly I needed, Wheein, smiling, said that in the morning she would start looking and try to help me. And Handong looked at me in a strange way.

Handong sat down next to me and stared at me, squinting.

- What, Handong? I sighed. - What do you suspect me of this time?

- I suspect? - the woman did not understand.

- When I came home from work late, you also looked at me and sniffed, thinking that I was having fun with someone.

- Not true. I would understand everything by your face. You don't know how to hide emotions at all.

- What ?! - I was indignant, but inside everything went cold with fear.

- Nothing. Everything is always written on your face, ”Handong said calmly, finishing her wine.

- Doesn't this mean that you have become too harmful and grumpy? - I snapped.

- No, but it says you fell in love with this Bora,” Handong said, and I opened my mouth.

- Wh-what ?! - my indignation knew no bounds. - What are you talking about ?!

- If at first I doubted, then after your reaction like that I am firmly convinced of it.

- Handong, you have senile madness? It's too early in my opinion, ”I said, trying to speak as calmly as possible. Handong lightly but tangibly slapped my head. - For what?! - I was indignant again.

- For these nasty words and for lies.

- Where am I lying? The fact that you have invented some kind of heresy about my supposed love with Bora does not mean that this is true.

- Siyeon, - Handong smiled, - I've been working as a lawyer too long. And I've seen different things. But I can easily distinguish when a person is trying to hide something and is lying and when is telling the truth. You're lying now.

- We're not on trial,” I muttered, upset not only that Handong got to the point, but also that she really read me like an open book.

- That's right, - Handong put her hand on mine and quietly added, - I'm not an accuser. You can talk to me.

I sighed. It was really hard for me to keep everything to myself for quite some time now. Minji didn't like to talk about her feelings, but she always listened to me attentively and with understanding, with sympathy. But I couldn't talk to her about that. And this information, these feelings and emotions poisoned me from the inside. I felt guilty about what I feel for Bora. And I would have done anything to somehow change it, but I was not able to. It just couldn't be controlled. Although I tried very hard.

- What's going on with you? -Handong continued to press gently. - I see that something is tormenting you, as if you are not yourself. You seem to be smiling, but there is sadness in your eyes.

- Is it so noticeable? - I smiled sadly.

- Well, I noticed. I'm attentive, - joked Handong. - So what's going on with this Bora? What have you got with her?

- Nothing,” I sighed again. “I… I love her...

She clearly did not expect that everything is so complicated for me. Probably, she hoped that I just liked Bora, or that we had messed up something at some party, but she definitely did not expect words of love.

- Wait,” Handong said and got up from the table. She went to the locker and took out a bottle of wine. Then she stood for a few seconds, put it back and took out the brandy.

- Handong, I'm driving,” I reminded the woman.

- This is for me,” she said to me and poured the dark brown liquid into a glass. Having drained it in one gulp, she returned to me. - Go on.

- What? I said everything, - I shrugged.

- How ... How did it happen? - Handong was perplexed.

- If I knew, It's… It's just… like that. Simple as a fact. I didn't even understand how it happened, bang, and I realize that I'm in deep . I mean, in love. Although in my situation the difference is small - I dropped my head in my hands. - Handong, what should I do, huh?

- And she? Does she feel something for you? 

I raised my head and looked at her as if she were insane.

- Handong. Are you insane? She is with Minji.

- So what? Do you have something ...

- No! - I interrupted her. - She's my best friend's girlfriend! She doesn't even know about anything. Doesn't know. And, I hope, she doesn't. Minji will not forgive me.

- And what about Minji, seriously? As far as I remember, your friend does not differ in monogamy, ”Handong winced.

- I do not know. But they have been together for more than two months. Usually, Minji's everything ends in a couple of weeks, - I drawled. - I hope Minji is not such an idiot as to lose such a girl.

- I don’t know, I don’t know,” Handong shook her head. - And what, are you going to sit, suffer and do nothing?

- What should I do in this situation, Handong? I have no options.

- Hmm. So you don’t want to talk to Minji?

- Are you crazy? And what will I tell her? “Minji,I love your woman, maybe you will give her up to me, huh?" Is this what you think it should look like? My feelings for her are basically forbidden. There are two main rules - girls of friends and sisters - are prohibited. And I broke the rule, you know? Besides, Bora is not a toy or a souvenir to change hands. - I again buried my forehead on the table and sighed.

- Then you need to distract yourself. Switch to someone to forget about feelings for Bora , - suggested Handong's “brilliant” solution.

- Do you think I haven’t thought about it?” I even started flirting with Elkie, who was always flirting with me at work. And nothing, - I muttered with annoyance.

- No, Elkie is different. By the way, I always knew that this girls was looking at you, you need someone new. Someone who can interest you, distract, who will need to be recognized, do you understand?

- I see. If only it were that simple.

- So, you will have a housewarming there, so look for yourself there someone. Be brave, you are so cute, - Handong patted me on the head.

- Thanks,” I snorted.

- And put on a suit,” Handong added sternly. - You are very y in it. I remember.

- Handong. Well, i need to go. Say goodbye to Wheein from me. And tell her, I'm waiting for her call.

- OK OK. And you put on a suit, ”Handong instructed again as I put on my shoes.

***

- Well, have you already bought a housewarming gift? What are you going to give? - I asked Minji on the phone on Saturday afternoon.

- Nope, now I'll go to the store, I'll choose something.

- You haven't thought of anything yet ?! - I was amazed at Minji's irresponsibility.

- Oh, housewarming isn't a birthday,” Minji snorted.

- Minji, do you know how much she dreamed of her apartment and how important it is for her? - I tried to speak calmly, but against my will there was a reproach in my voice.

- Yes, I know, I know, - grumbled Minji. - I'll buy something expensive. What did you choose?

- A painting of her father,” I said proudly.

- Whose father? Yours? What is it, your father was an artist?

- Minji, are you completely stupid? - I asked. - Her father. Her father is an artist. Well, I mean, he was an artist.

- Ah-ah, - stretched Minji, - yes?

- You didn't know? - I was surprised.

- I don’t remember. Maybe she said something like that.

I just rolled my eyes. Minji, as always, thinks only about her work and . When is she getting older?

- Well, cool, well done. Expensive picture?

- Well, so ... - I answered vaguely. In fact, the painting cost me a pretty much. With this money it was possible to buy the same Nissan as mine. But I didn't care. I knew Bora would be pleased.

- Okay, will you pick me up? - Minji continued as if nothing had happened. - You will be in a car? Or a taxi?

- I think by taxi, but I'll grab you,” I promised my friend.

- Good. Then half past seven I'm waiting for you.

- Okay, - I nodded.

For the rest of the day I was haunted by excitement, as in childhood before my own birthday. When you are waiting for something very much and you want the time to fly by faster before the appointed hour. So I also, wanted the evening to come as soon as possible, and I could see Bora's eyes when she receives the gift.

Minji and I were in a taxi for a couple of minutes, when I asked:

- Well, what did you choose?

- Here, - Minji proudly handed me a large and heavy package. I opened it and blinked at Minji.

- There are dishes.

- Yes.

- Dishes, Minji..

- I know. There is a tea set. Is pretty, huh?

- Minji, are you serious? I sighed.

- What's wrong? - she was indignant.

- Where did you find this service? Did some granny sell at the bus stop? I squinted.

The service was beautifully packaged, but ... its only value was to admire it. It is impossible to drink from such mugs - they get too hot, and saucers without mugs look out of place.

- Why? -Minji was indignant. - In the dish store.

- You said you'd go to Leroy or Ikea.

- Yes, I spent a long time, and this store is very close by.

- I know I bought a vegetable cutter there when I lived with you,” I hissed.

- What do you think she won't like it?" - Minji asked apprehensively.

- I do not argue, Minji, but ... She doesn't even have a wall to put it up. The nineties are long gone.

- Damn, - mumbled Minji, taking the package back. - What to do now?

I saw how upset she was. And I understood that this would be one of the worst gifts. And it will be disgusting, because Bora is Minji's girlfriend. She will introduce Minji to her friends today. And they will all expect that it is she who will present the most beautiful, most necessary, the best gift. And Minji, due to her inexperience in a serious relationship, will secure this service for her. I understood that I could not do this. Therefore, with a sigh and said:

- Okay, bring your present here.

- Which one? What for? Minji didn't understand.

- I'll give it myself.

- From point of view? Did I come without a gift?

- You will give the picture, - I said, realizing that it is simply necessary.

- Wh-what? Minji looked at me with all her eyes.

"Y-this," I mimicked her. -  Let's say you found it from an old collector. Googled and then asked Wheein for help. She will be glad.

- Damn, no, it’s not right,” Minji frowned. - You've probably been looking for her for a long time?

- No,” I waved my hand.

- Thank you, Siyeon, you are a true friend, - Minji smiled with sincere gratitude in her eyes. I just patted her on the shoulder, smiling.

It doesn't matter who gives this picture. It doesn't matter at all. I know she will be happy when she receives it. I know that.

The door was opened by a pretty dark-haired girl who smiled so broadly.

- Hello, come in, - Bora's friend entered the far end of the corridor and invited us to enter, moving with her foot numerous pairs of shoes and boots that were on the floor, as there was not enough shoe rack.

- There will be few people, right? - I grumbled quietly so that only Minji could hear. She just smiled apologetically, shrugging her shoulders.

- You must be Siyeon and Minji? I'm Yoohyeon, Bora's friend since her first job. ”The girl held out her hand and we took turns shaking it.

- Hello, friend ,” Minji smiled with her trademark smile “ Undoubtedly, this had an effect on the girl, because her gaze immediately became flirtatious, and she looked at Minji with an appraising look from head to toe.

I just rolled my eyes and sighed. How does she do it? Is it some kind of atmosphere invisible to me?

- Is everyone already assembled? Where is Bora? - I decided to interrupt their protracted acquaintance.

- Did you miss your girlfriend already? Come in, everyone is in the living room, they were just waiting for you, ”the brunette smiled, not taking her gaze, tucked by a pair of glasses, from Minji.

- Which girl? - I did not understand. Yoohyeon finally looked at me.

- Well, Bora ... aren't you dating? 

- Um ... - I was confused, and then I coughed altogether.

- No,” my friend laughed. - I am Minji, and she is Siyeon.

- A-ah-ah ... Oh, - Yoohyeon was embarrassed, apparently realizing that she had just shamelessly flirted with Bora's girlfriend.

Fortunately, the situation was saved by Bora herself, who appeared in the hallway.

- Hello, my dears, - she came up to us, quickly kissed Minji on the lips, and then hugged me. I almost choked as I still hadn't learned to control myself in such moments. - Have you already met?

- Yeah, - Minji hugged Bora possessively, pulling her towards her. - Siyeon was mistaken for your girlfriend, - the friend smiled, which drove me into the paint even more.

- Oh, really? - Bora playfully raised one eyebrow and looked at me. - Maybe I should think about it?

- Oh, you wanna leave me, baby? - Minji said in a mock upset voice and, with a heavy sigh, added, - Well, then I'll go drown my grief in a bottle and in the arms of your friends.

Bora playfully cracked Minji's hand and laughed:

- You just have to go drown your grief in someone's arms.

- You leave me no choice,” Minji laughed in response, and I just prayed that they would not look at me at the moment of their comic skirmish. I was sure I looked like a wounded deer. Obviously, this is all humor, jokes, but ... Damn, I would give everything that I have, just to have at least a ghostly chance that Bora would look at me as a girl. 

- Okay, let's go, I'll introduce you to everyone.

Next to me was the same Yoohyeon who no longer looked at Minji, which surprised me, but focused all her attention on me. Then she asked something, in general she tried in every possible way to establish communication. I even answered her when I wasn’t looking at Bora, who was especially beautiful today — her navy blue short dress was simple but graceful. An uncomplicated hairstyle opened up a view of a long, beautiful neck, therefore, when she laughed at Minji's next joke, I saw how a vein on her neck strained and could not take my eyes off. I thought that during this vein also swells, and Bora at these moments should be just incredibly beautiful.

Realizing that my thoughts had taken me somewhere completely wrong, I shook my head to distract myself and poured myself juice, setting the glass of wine aside.

After a couple of hours, it was time for gifts. I quickly shoved the box with the service into Bora's hands, received a grateful kiss on the cheek, from which all the blood from my head rushed down somewhere, and sat back down in my place. After some time, at the very end, Minji's turn came. She brought a packed picture from the hallway and put it in front of Bora, occasionally looking at me with embarrassment. So the moment has come.

Bora carefully unpacked, turned the picture to her and ... froze. Everyone also became quiet, because they could not understand whether this was a good sign or not. Bora looked at the picture with wide open eyes, in which there were so many emotions that it is difficult to imagine how they all fit into it at once. And I looked at her face and eagerly absorbed all these feelings that were read in her eyes. For a minute the room was in complete silence. And then a tear slid down Bora's cheek. Minji looked at me helplessly, silently seeking support and some kind of explanation for what was happening.

- Bora? - finally, my friend could not resist. - Is everything all right? You don’t… ”I could almost hear her swallow. - You do not like it?

The girl raised her eyes to Minji. 

- This is the best gift, -Bora whispered and immediately drew Minji to her.

The atmosphere in the room was immediately noticeably discharged. Everyone seemed to be exhaled. And I was sitting with a slight smile on my lips. She liked it. She loved it as hell.

At that moment, still in Minji's strong arms, Bora looked at me. I could be wrong, of course, but it seemed to me that ... she understood everything. In order not to aggravate an already unsettling situation for me, I looked away, and after a couple of minutes I got out of the table and went to the kitchen.

Hiding from the noisy crowd that was already raising another toast, I poured myself a glass of water and stared out the window. Well, where did I sin so that it was she who became the object of my love? Why did this happen to me at all? I've always been like a stone statue, and now ...

A slight cough interrupted my thoughts and I turned around. Bora was standing a couple of meters away from me.

- Hi,” she smiled, and I thought she was a little embarrassed. I wonder why?

- Hi,” I nodded to her and took a sip of water. Just to keep myself occupied and not stare at her as the only remaining woman on earth.

- Thank you… for the gift,” she said quietly, her eyes expressing sincere gratitude.

- Not at all, - I smiled. “I hope you find a place for this service. 

- Yes, but ... I'm talking about another gift, - she smiled indulgently in response.

- Another? I don't understand a bit what you are talking about - the heat went through my whole body.

- About the picture. I know it's you. She looked at me like a kid caught red-handed but doesn't want to confess.

- No, this is ... This is Minji. I have nothing to do with this. She said she wanted to make you a very nice present. ”I cleared my throat and tried to speak as confidently as possible.

- I don’t think so,” Bora leaned her hip on the table, also remaining a couple of meters away from me. - Minji knows nothing about my father. Doesn't even know that he was an artist, - the girl shook her head.

- Well ... I ... - confused. What can I say? I thought Bora dedicated Minji to her family history. Or at least she asked her girlfriend about it. Do they even talk?

- It doesn't matter, - Bora raised her hand, - I know it's you. And I want to thank you. Thank you. This is truly the best gift ever.

- With pleasure” I nodded. - Just ... don't tell Minji. That you know. She will be upset. She's not always attentive, but ... She's good, - I finished barely audibly.

- I know,” Bora answered just as quietly. - And yet, you are an amazing person, Siyeon. And a very good friend.

With these words, the girl left the kitchen, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Good friend? Well, yes, of course.

 

Hello!

Thank you for reading!

Spoiler- next chapter someone will start to be jealous!

Have a nice day!

Feel free to comment