Chapter 4

My best friend's girlfriend

 

On Wednesday I went to Bora. I even managed to go home and change. I put on a tracksuit so as not to stain my jeans, as I knew that dust from concrete and plaster would fall.

I called Minji before leaving to make sure she would be there on time. But Minji did not answer the call. I just hoped that she was already with Bora. The thought that she wasn’t picking up the phone because she and the girl were lounging in bed hurt my consciousness, but I took a deep breath and tried not to think about it.

Bora opened almost immediately after my call. This time she was in short shorts and the same T-shirt with a sports top. I involuntarily swallowed, eagerly looking at the girl. She had amazingly beautiful legs. Strong and thin. Those damned shorts favorably emphasized the beauty of her tight, tight , which I shamelessly looked at as I followed the girl.

- Look what I have done, - Bora proudly opened the bedroom door, and I just had to whistle.

Things had already been taken apart, everything was in place. The room was bright and comfortable.

- Have you purchased additional bedside tables? “I noticed them by the bed. Same white color and same style as the bed.

- Yeah, - Bora  nodded happily, - and also a floor lamp and magazine lamps. And the rug, - the girl pointed to the objects of her pride.

- The rug is especially cute, - I smiled, examining the soft white rug by the bed. And my imagination immediately took a picture of Bora stepping on her barefoot, getting out of bed in the morning. She is , her hair is long and her s ... stop. Not there, damn it. What are you thinking, fool?

- In the living room, I could not clean almost anything, I just dismantled a few boxes. There was almost no time, - as if apologizing, Bora said, and we headed to another room.

Well, she was not cunning when she said that. The living room felt like she had been robbed. Things were scattered on the floor, the shelves of books I had assembled stood sideways almost in the middle of the room.

- And where do you want to hang the picture? - I decided to get down to business as soon as possible. - And by the way, where is Minji? I called her, she did not answer, - finally, it dawned on me that we were together again with Bora. 

- She wrote that she would be a little late, but did not say how long. She also did not answer me when I called her.

- Probably something with clients again,” I muttered, staring at the bare wall.

- Yes, probably, - Bora sighed and immediately continued in a more cheerful voice, - I think she will look perfect here, - Bora pointed almost to the center of the wall, where the picture dear to her was supposed to be.

- Show me where to make a hole and I'll start,” I smiled modestly, unwinding the puncher cord and plugging it into an outlet.

- Right here,” Bora jabbed her finger against the wall, and I came closer.

- Yeah, I get it, - I reached out to change the girl's finger to mine, and accidentally touched her palm. Bora didn't remove her hand. She just looked at me inquiringly.

- I… I…” The words stuck treacherously in my throat, and I had to clear my throat. “If you don’t want me to pierce your hand, I advise you to remove it,” I could hardly squeeze out a smile, trying not to look at her.

She silently walked away, and I got down to business. After a couple of minutes, everything was ready. I turned to Bora.

- You can hang.

Bora nodded and walked over to the painting. I decided to help her, and together we hung a rather large and heavy picture on the wall.

- Thank you,” Bora said calmly, not taking her eyes off her father’s work. “Maybe someday I will be able to hang some more of his works here. If I find them, of course. Officially, he did not sell much. Just for good money. And when he started drinking, he handed out pictures literally for a penny.

- Maybe there is some information about them on the Internet? - I was sad to look at Bora when she was so sad.

- I was searching for. I found one, but as I understood, it is now abroad, and I have no idea how to contact the owner.

- I'm sorry,” I said sincerely.

- Thank you. Well, let's go get some tea? She shook her head, as if tossing her sad thoughts aside, causing her hair to fall onto her shoulders. Again, so natural and so y.

- Yes, of course, only can I go to the bathroom?

- Of course, - Bora nodded, - leave it, I'll clean it myself later, let's go

I found myself in a beautiful bathroom. She was not like mine in anything. Firstly, it was cozy here. Secondly, it was felt that Bora's taste was complete. And thirdly, even if my bathroom is cleaned to a shine, it will never become the same dazzling white. I washed my hands, only then realizing that probably I had pressed the wrong switch, since the light in the bathroom only came from the hallway. Coming out of there, I clicked on the switch again, for some reason trying to figure out which of the buttons is responsible for lighting in the bathroom.

Bora caught me doing this exciting activity and asked, puzzled:

- Siyeon?

I was distracted from clicking on the buttons and looked at her questioningly:

- M?

- What are you doing?

- Ah… I… I'm trying to figure out which switch is responsible for the bathroom,” I muttered, somehow embarrassed.

- Second from the left. But you don't need to try, the lamp has burned out. I still cannot insert a new one.

- I can,” I suggested for some reason.

- Come on, I'll do it myself, or I'll ask Minji.

- Yeah,” I chuckled. “It’s more likely Minji will pay for an electrician than change the bulb herself.

-Why? The girl asked in bewilderment.

-She is afraid of it

- Oh,” Bora held out, “I didn't know.

- Don't tell Minji what I told you. Otherwise it will negatively affect her image, - I chuckled.

- I guess the image of a strong and self-sufficient woman? - Bora smiled in response, taking out two mugs. By the way, the kitchen is already divine too. Only a few drawers were visible, but the kitchen itself was in order. Clean, nice and tidy.

- Rather, a strong woman without weaknesses.

- Okay, I'll keep this secret,” Bora grinned. - Although I think that weakness is normal. This is what makes us human beings, isn't it?

- Well, yes, - I was forced to agree.

- For example, I am terribly afraid of snakes, - Bora shared with me. “-Well, what about you? The girl continued.

- About me? - I did not understand the question. - In what sense?

- Well, what are your weaknesses?

She put the cups with drawings of cats on the table, took out a bowl of cookies and sweets, and sat down in an empty chair opposite me.

My weaknesses? I have one weakness now. And this weakness is you.

- I… Well, I… I don’t know how to cook. I have big problems with this, ”I said instead of admitting.

- It's boring. Every second person has such weakness, - Bora did not calm down, stirring the tea. I stared blankly at my mug. When I looked up, I saw the interested look of the girl. She rested her chin on her hand and looked at me like a child waiting for a bedtime story.

- Okay, - I nodded, - then you will have another weakness. Even if will be a boring one. "To equalize the score, I joined the game.

- Okay,” she agreed resolutely.

- My weakness is…” I exhaled, collecting my thoughts. - In general, I do not know how to communicate with people - I admitted.

Bora blinked, and then asked:

- In what sense?

- In direct. I feel very uncomfortable and uncomfortable when there are many people around, especially strangers. If I was locked up in a room with a stranger, even for a month, I would never be the first to start a conversation.

- Really? Bora narrowed her eyes as if she thought I was trying to deceive her.

- It's true!" I assured her warmly.

- It’s hard to believe,” Bora muttered, reaching for the candy.

- Why?

- Well, knowing Minji, I thought that her friends were the same,” she shrugged.

- This is the paradox of our friendship,” I smiled. - We are two absolute opposites.

- Have you known each other for a long time? - asked Bora, again taking the candy out of the vase. - Try the candy. Terribly delicious, - she added, removing the wrapper.

- From the institute,” I replied, chewing on a candy that really tasted good. - We studied together. Well, I mean, in one institute, but in different faculties. Minji had management, I had an economic one. And she was a year older. And I just got lost when I came to the classes, finding myself in a completely different building. There I met Minji, who gave me a tour. So we became friends.

- Wow, you have been friends for over ten years now? - Bora was surprised.

- Well, yes, - I nodded, taking out cookies from a bowl.

- It's very cool,” Bora said sincerely. - I haven't kept a relationship with any of my college friends.

- Well, we had no choice,” I chuckled. - Minji and I have always complemented each other. She helped me not to be closed in myself, and I made sure that she did not get too involved in stupid situations. Her mother, always asked me to “watch out for her unlucky daughter,” I recalled Minji’s mother’s words. - Minji was terribly enraged, of course, but it was true. She, like no one else, knew how to find trouble, - I chuckled.

- Do you know her parents too? - Bora was surprised again.

- With my mother, - I clarified, - Minji's father died when she was little. 

- You are good friends. You... - after a pause, said Bora, - a very good friend.

Yes, good friend, I have nothing to say. I salivate, looking at my friend's girlfriend.

- I hope so,” I said with a shrug.

- I know that Minji has a lot of acquaintances, comrades, but ... She told me only about you. She said that she certainly wanted to introduce me to you. I think it means something, - said Bora, looking thoughtfully into the mug.

- Well, we are best friends. I will do everything for her, - I said sincerely, realizing that this is really so.

Minji and I went through a lot. But she was always there and always supported me. And although I begin to think that Bora is the woman with whom I could live my whole life, I will not take absolutely no action. Because, as we joked with Minji in our youth, we don't change friends for a woman. It is so?

- What about your parents Siyeon? Do they live here? - Bora decided to move the topic, breaking our awkward silence.

- No,” I shook my head, not understanding why I’m telling all this, because I’m not going to be friends with her. - My father left when I was three, and I was raised mainly by my grandmother. At first, my mother was constantly at work, then in search of a new husband for herself and father, respectively, for me. Eventually, when I turned fifteen, she left with her new foreign husband, Paul. To France. She lives there. We rarely communicate, because we are not very close, but she is doing well, ”I finished my story.

- Unexpectedly,” drawled Bora. - That is, she thought more about her personal life than about you?

- Well, I do not know. Probably. I didn't think about it, - I honestly admitted. - My grandmother replaced my mother, and I did not suffer from a lack of love.

- But this is… Mom,” Bora muttered incomprehensibly.

- I do not know. It just so happened. I am not offended by her. She provided me so that I did not need anything, and then she founded her happiness, - I shrugged.

- Where is your grandmother? 

- She’s gone,” at this moment, sadness seeped into my voice. - When I was in the third year, she was gone.

- Oh. I'm sorry, - Bora said sincerely and ... covered my hand with hers as a sign of support. Goose bumps ran through my body.

- Yes. But Minji helped me a lot. She did not allow to completely close in myself. Supported. She even made me move in with her.

- That's good.

- Yes.

Telling this, I was only convinced that I could not hurt Minji. She is my very best friend. And even if I am head over heels in love with her girlfriend, I will not be able to do something that will offend Minji. I can not.

Then the doorbell rang, and Bora, fortunately, freed my hand.

- Minji, probably, - she muttered and went to open the door. They both came back.

 

Hello, thank you for reading. Feel free to comment! See you next week.