Chapter 5

My best friend's girlfriend

 

For the next two weeks, I managed to avoid meeting Bora. More precisely, I also had to evade meetings with Minji. Because she more than once offered to spend time together, but always in her proposals was the word "we". I was perfectly aware that "we" meant her and Bora, and therefore I came up with the most sophisticated reasons for refusals.

And sitting at home on Friday night, grieving over my plight, I heard the doorbell ring. “Strange, I'm not waiting for anyone,” I thought, but went to open it. At first I thought it was Khandun, but I was very surprised when I saw Minji on the doorstep. Her appearance did not bode well, and her eyes almost threw lightning.

"Um ..." I drawled. - Hi?

- Yeah. - muttered Minji and, unceremoniously pushing me away, entered the apartment.

Minji took off her shoes and went into the living room. In her hands was a package, by the protruding shapes of which I unmistakably guessed the bottles. Minji, also without a word, sat down on the sofa and began to take out the food she had brought. The coffee table began to be filled with bottles of beer, as well as various snacks in the form of fish, chips, crackers and nuts. Minji said in the same angry voice:

- Come and cut it.

I silently took the outstretched thing, which turned out to be smoked meat, and went to the kitchen to follow the instructions. When I returned, Minji had already opened two bottles of beer and half of the packages with snacks. I put the sliced meat on the table, where I could hardly find a place for it, and sat down next to my friend. I wondered what all this meant, and why Minji, whom you usually wouldn’t shut up, was so silent and displeased. Maybe she had a fight with Bora? Plus, it's Friday, and she's not with her. It's strange.

Minji handed me one bottle and took the other herself. She lifted it, giving a sign to "clink glasses". I banged my bottle against hers. Minji took several impressive sips. I followed her example. Then Minji crunched with crackers, continuing to be silent. I didn't say a word either. She looked at the label, picking it with her fingernail.

- Siyeon how many years have we known each other? Minji broke the silence so suddenly that I shuddered.

- Well ..." I paused. “I think thirteen. Maybe fourteen.

- Yeah," Minji agreed, taking another sip. - How often did we talk?

- From point of view? - I did not understand the question.

- In a straight line.

- Well, often. Constantly.

- Did I offend you with something? Or maybe I did something bad or mean?

- No,” I was beginning to lose patience. What is she getting at?

- Uh-huh, - Minji agreed again.

- So what the hell, I can't figure out what's going on now? - Minji looked at me with her brown eyes.

- What are you talking about? - I could not help but look away.

- I've been trying to meet with you for more than two weeks, and you come up with some kind of crap just not to do it. What's going on, Siyeon? Do you have any problems? I can help you, you know. What's happening? Where is my friend who was always there?

I looked at Minji again. Her eyes were full of genuine misunderstanding.

- Well, I ... Just ... - What can I say to that, that's what? Sorry I'm in love with your girlfriend, I can't  see you together? Or what?

- I understand, Siyeon, - Minji interrupted my bleating. - This is about Bora, right?

Everything went cold inside me. Did she really understand and guess

- In what sense? - I asked barely audibly, taking a huge sip of beer, which made my nose tingle.

- You don't like her. Therefore, you avoid meeting with us. I'm right?

I exhaled slightly. Well, it's better that way.

- So I'll tell you what, - Minji continued, without waiting for my comments, - I endured your Handong, mind you, I still endure, so you will endure my Bora. 

The phrase "my Bora" cut my ear, but I tried not to reflect on my face.

“I… I…” I didn't know what to say. I won't tell Minji the truth that I have been thinking about Bora all day. - Yes. Sorry to act like a bastard. I promise to improve - everything that I could squeeze out of myself.

- I’m glad you admit it,” Minji laughed, and her eyes returned to their former brilliance. “It's just… Try to get to know her better, Siyeon. She's cool, really. And by the way, she really liked you. Especially after having screwed in that ill-fated lamp in the bathroom, - Minji sipped beer again and reached into the bag with chips.

Did she like me? From Minji's words a pleasant warmth spread over my body. Heck. For two weeks I tried to abstract myself from thoughts of Bora, but as soon as I heard about her, I immediately spread like butter in a frying pan. What the hell.

- Okay,” I said with a nod. - I will behave more ... friendly, - I barely found the word.

- Thank you, - Minji smiled broadly. - This is really important to me. I don't want to schedule meetings for you and her. Sometimes we can spend time together. By the way, - Minji crept up, slipping her legs under her, - maybe I could introduce you to some of her friend? She said that she had free ones. And cute. We will meet four of us. What do you say? - Minji with burning eyes looked at me.

What do I say? That this is the stupidest idea. Even if Blake Lively sits next to me and begins to my ear, it is unlikely that this will distract me from my thoughts about Bora. But out loud I said:

- I'll think about it.

- Well. And as a sign that you will no longer behave like a pig, I have a request for you - can you take Bora to the hardware store tomorrow? Well, there, you can help her choose something and all that, ”Minji waved her hand.

- Can't you yourself? Do you seem to have a car too? I asked doubtfully.

- Oh, thanks for reminding me, - Minji said sarcastically. - I have business tomorrow. So I said that you would help.

- Said ?! - I was amazed. - But I haven't agreed yet!

- You said you'd be nice! - Minji pointed the bottle menacingly at me. - So keep your word. Plus, it's a great opportunity for you to get to know each other better. Don't thank, ”Minji said, businesslike putting the empty bottle aside and taking a new one.

- Yeah ... - I drawled, realizing that my plan to avoid Bora had cracked.

I sat in the car, tapping on the steering wheel, waiting for Bora. My head ached a little after I had a drink with Minji yesterday, but in general I did not feel as bad as it could have been. Everything was overshadowed only by my promise to Minji that I would not avoid meeting her and Bora. How can I stop thinking about her if I see her often ?! But I realized that there is no compelling reason that I can voice to avoid this. Minji said bluntly how important it was for her. And my friend is not famous for sentimentality and openness in feelings and emotions. So it really matters to her. That is why I stand here, or rather, sit, and try to reassure myself that nothing bad will happen. And that my clouding of mind will end sooner or later.

Bora left the entrance, and I, out of habit, glared at her. The girl was wearing skinny jeans and a T-shirt. From above she threw on a light denim jacket. The weather was windy, autumn was approaching, so hiking in shorts and T-shirts could be forgotten until next year.

- Hi! - She greeted me happily, and I almost forgot how to breathe. When will I stop melting from just looking at her?

- Hi, - I tried to control even my smile, otherwise she threatened to crawl out of my face.

- You haven't been seen for a long time,” said Bora, buckling up. “I’m already beginning to think you’re avoiding me.

- That's nonsense,” I muttered, starting the car. - Why would I avoid you?

- I don’t know,” Bora shrugged. “Maybe you don’t like me,” she grinned.

-No one can dislike you…- I blurted out, understanding how my words sounded after I uttered them. “I mean ... I mean ...

- I understand. Thank you, - Bora smiled restrainedly, saving me from having to explain myself somehow. - Thank you for agreeing to help. Minji said she has a job. How long she will be able to work is unclear. And so every day he sits there almost until the night ...

- Well, she’s a careerist,” I muttered, not knowing what to say. I just hoped that Minji really works, and will not follow the usual line of relations, does not start an affair on the side.

- And you? - after a short pause, Bora asked.

- What, me?

- Do you also put work first? - with peripheral vision, I saw that Bora turned almost with her whole body in my direction.

- I… I don’t know, I guess you could say that,” I shrugged. - I have nothing to compare with much. Well, I mean, I don't have a relationship right now, so I don't know.

- Why? - Bora asked vividly.

- What? - Does it seem to me, or am I getting stupid next to her?

- Why don't you have a relationship?

- Well, something like this. For some reason, young ladies do not stand in line to start dating me, - I joked.

- And they should, - Bora said thoughtfully, which caused my slightly surprised look. "Well, I mean ... Is that what a woman needs?"

- What?

- A reliable, good person next to her, who will love her. Loyal, smart, cheerful. And if the kit also includes a pleasant appearance and thriftiness - generally a dream. Is not it so?

- I do not know. Probably.

- I'm telling you. And you have it all. Therefore, I say  that girls should line up in order to win your heart.

- Well, maybe you just need to get to know someone for this.

- But you had a relationship at all? Don't tell me that you've never met anyone, - Bora grinned.

- Why, I met. But usually nothing serious. Well, except for Handong.

- Handong?

- Well yes. Do you remember her at the exhibition? 

- Oh, yes, of course. She and the artist ... together. Is not it so?

- Yes Yes. We dated for three years. And even lived together.

- Remained friends, as I understand it? - Bora smiled.

- Yeah. With her, I probably had the only serious relationship. But ... We didn't have that very feeling. We spent half of the time at work. And then she met Wheein.

- And you ... Did you take it calmly? -Bora asked sincerely.

- Yes,” I shrugged. “We were more good friends than a couple. It's good that we both realized this in time, and did not cling to a ghostly relationship. Otherwise, she might miss Wheiin. And God knows what would come of it. And now she is happy. And I'm happy for her.

- You are an amazing person, Siyeon, - Bora shook her head.

- What? - I frowned, not knowing what she meant. - Why?

- Well, you always act like that… right, or something. I do not know. Not selfish. Do you understand?

- Oh,” I chuckled, “trust me, I don't always behave right.

- Well, we are not all sinless,” Bora shrugged and turned her head to the window. - But nonetheless.

 

For almost two hours we wandered through the store with a huge cart, which was gradually filled with all kinds of junk, from light bulbs to a blanket on the sofa.

When we entered the crockery section, Bora almost burst into tears with emotion when she saw a mug with a picture of a cat, as if made in black paint. The mug itself was white, and on it was an image of a window and a silhouette of a cat sitting on the windowsill. She twisted the mug in her hands for about five minutes, then put it in its place, sighing heavily:

- I’m terribly wasteful this month. Therefore, take me away from here before I took this mug for ... - Bora lowered her eyes at the price tag, and they expanded, - 24$?! For what?! Wow. 

Bora pulled me by the sleeve down the aisle. I turned to look at the mug.

- Did you like her so much? I asked in surprise.

- I collect mugs with interesting images of cats, - Bora admitted. - Yes, I'm thirty, and I have such a strange hobby.

- Well, that's cute,” I chuckled. - And the mug was pretty cute.

- She’s gorgeous,” Bora said with feeling, going up to the stand with pans. “But this is more important.” 

***

We got to Bora's house only at six. We had a whole bunch of bags, so we both had to get into the car twice. When we brought in the last batch of purchases, I wanted to leave, but Bora protested, saying that she would not let me go anywhere until she fed me. I had to agree.

I watched her doing something over the tabletop, simultaneously telling something, but almost did not listen to what she was saying. I watched the movements of her hands, how her hair bounced, this time pulled back in a high ponytail, how the muscles in her legs tighten as she steps towards the refrigerator. Everything about this woman was beautiful. Harmoniously. Ideally. We talked a lot today while shopping. She talked about herself, asked about me. We realized that we have a lot of common preferences in music, movies and even books. 

I looked at her thin neck and could not take my eyes off. At least until she turned around, and I had no time to move my gaze somewhere else.

- Siyeon? - her dark eyebrow raised inquiringly, and her eyes again became mocking.

- What? I frowned.

- I ask, will you have tea or coffee? Why are you stuck? Dreaming?- “Yeah,” I smiled. And she didn’t lie. - Coffee. Better coffee.

- Okay,” she nodded and reached for a mug.

It was the tastiest pizza I have ever eaten. Thin, tender dough that remains juicy and not dry. And a lot of filling. I ate my fill and barely lifted myself out of my chair as I was about to leave. Minji was supposed to come any minute, so I could easily leave, knowing that Bora would have company.

Already at the threshold, I remembered my little secret.

- I almost forgot,” I rummaged through my shoulder bag and pulled out a small rectangular box. - Here, this is for you, - I handed the box to Bora, starting to blush. What a stupid idea it was. Why did I do this? I understood that my act was rather impulsive, but I could not help myself. I wanted to please this amazing girl. Without any calculation or hint. Simply. From the heart.

- What is it? - She, smiling, looked from me to the box and back.

- Well ... A small present, - I answered evasively. - Open it.

Marina opened the cover and froze when she saw the contents.

- This is ... No-oo ... - she held out, disbelieving her eyes. Opening the package even further, she took out the very mug that she liked so much. - Siyeon ... I ... Why?!

- Well, you liked her, - I shrugged my shoulders, inwardly rejoicing, because I saw the puppy delight in Bora's eyes. God, if this mug was worth not two, but even twenty-two thousand, I would take it. The girl's expression and her emotions were worth it.

- Thank you very much! How did you ... When did you make it? - as if still not believing her eyes, Bora was spinning a mug with a cat in her hands.

- Well, when I sent you to change the pot for your lemongrass, I took it,” I grinned.

- Damn, Siyeon, thank you! - Bora, in a fit of emotion, threw herself on my neck with hugs. At first, I was dumbfounded by the girl's closeness, but then I realized that I could no longer resist. I just can not. Therefore, I hugged her too, gently placing my hands on her waist and burying my nose somewhere near her ear. I felt her body, inhaled her scent, held her in my arms. And at that moment I was the happiest person. Yes, even if it was a friendly hug, even if I could not bury myself in her neck, I could not squeeze more tightly to me, but even this little thing made me happy. I will be anyone she wants, a friend, a comrade, if only she is happy. I will become her anything and anyone, and she will not even need to ask for it. And may she never answer me to my feelings, may she never know about them, I will not ask for anything in return. She has already settled in my heart. I love her.

Feel free to comment!