Chapter 2

My best friend's girlfriend

Where am I going? Why the hell did I agree at all? this is the stupidest decision in my entire adult life.

I had been standing at the mirror for twenty minutes, talking to myself and trying to find at least one really convincing reason not to go to dinner with Minji and Bora. And, of course, no one reason was compelling enough.

Maybe I should break my leg? Damn, then I won't be able to work, but we have a reporting period. Hand! You can break your arm! "Break your head," my mind answered gloomily, tired of the contradictions tearing me apart.

I didn’t want to go for one and only reason - because I understood that I was looking at Bora differently from how I should look at the girl of my best friend.

- So,” I said aloud, exhaling slowly, “this is just a beautiful girl. Just. Beautiful. I didn't fall in love with her. She's just too pretty, and I haven't had for a long time. And that's all. No more. I can handle it quite well, right?

Nodding to myself, I straightened my white T-shirt, pulled up a black leather belt on my light-colored jeans, and headed for the door, removing a light leather jacket from a hanger as I walked. It was pretty cool in the evenings, especially since it rained outside all day.

When I arrived at the restaurant and went inside, the hostess walked me to the table. Of course, neither Minji and Bora was there yet. Which I was not surprised. They will probably come together, and Minji never shows up on time. As long as I remember her, she was always late. I don't understand why, knowing this, I always come at the appointed time anyway. Although you can safely move the time forward half an hour and not rush.

I ordered a glass of water and said that I would not be alone when a waiter came up to me with a menu. He nodded in understanding and left, having pinned the water to me after a minute.

Examining the rest of the guests in anticipation of my company, I realized that I continued to be nervous. Repeating to myself, like a mantra, that “calm is the key to harmony,” I did not notice how someone appeared next to me. Looking up, I was speechless again.

She was standing next to the table in her usual street clothes — skinny jeans and a cream-colored blouse with long sleeves. But it looked amazing. Although, probably, put a trash bag on her and throw cabbage leaves, this still does not hide her incredible beauty.

- Hi,” she smiled at me, hanging a light windbreaker over the back of her chair.

Her voice brought me out of my trance state, although my ability to speak coherently has not yet fully returned.

- A-yeah…” I muttered, not taking my eyes off her.

I'm pretty sure that if she saw me now for the first time, she would probably wonder if I was autistic. Because my eyes were wide open, and I could only say something indistinct and illegible. I hope my chin is not salivating.

- Will I sit down? - her eyebrow raised inquiringly, and her gaze became a little mocking.

- Um ... I ..." I shook my head, collecting my thoughts. - Sorry. Of course. ”I sat up a little, waiting for her to finally put her gorgeous on the chair. - Are you without Minji?

- Yes, she wrote that she would be late for work. And I managed to go home and change. I didn't want to go to dinner in an office suit. She smiled and shrugged.

"Yes ... you ... you look amazing," I said and bit my tongue. Not because it’s not true, but because I said it with such fervor that she raised an eyebrow again and grinned.

- Yes? Thanks. Pleasantly. You too.

What kind? What was it? She looked me up and down, and that look was ... appraising? Did she appreciate me?

- Mmm,” I nodded in gratitude, taking a sip of water.

A waiter came up to us and with a smile handed me and Bora a menu:

- So, a couple, when you are ready to place an order, let me know, ”the young man smiled and went to a small counter.

- We're not…” I started muttering and blushed.

- It seems he decided that we have a date, - Bora giggled, opening the menu.

- What? Why? I’m pretty sure there was panic in my voice.

- I think he's gay,” she turned her gaze to our waiter, and I also looked at him. Tall, slender, with a fashionable hairstyle. And damn well-groomed hands. Manicure, I'm sure.

- Looks like it,” I agreed.

- It's strange that he hasn't winked at us yet, like "Gays, I'm with you, and I'm very happy for you."

- Where did he get that we have a date? What, two friends don't have dinner anymore? - I was nervous. I don't know why, but I was nervous.

- Hey, this is even insulting, - Bora playfully slapped me on the hand, -  you can't go on a date with me?

- W-what? I blinked and stared at her blankly. She silently looked into my eyes, eyebrows raised in mockery. - No no! With you ... Very ... Yes. God, why is it so hot in here? - I waved the menu to myself like a fan, and with the other hand threw back the collar of my shirt. I was so worried that I sweated.

- Come on, relax, I'm kidding, - Bora grinned again, and I dug into the menu.

- I think we should wait for Minji” I said, trying to speak as calmly as possible. Having said this, I reminded that we are really not on a date, and Bora is Minji's girlfriend. I reminded myself of this.

- She will learn not to be late, - Bora answered sternly, her eyes studying the pages with the list of dishes.

While she looked at the menu, I looked at her. I couldn't bring myself to stop it. I just couldn't. Her eyes, slowly sliding along the lines, eyelashes, eyebrows, everything was so harmonious that I just could not tear myself away. I stared at her again like a ram, carving her image in the subconscious. As if I didn't remember it the first time. When she, without hesitation, her lips, I thought I had enough blow. It was so natural and so ... y. Watching this, it would seem like an ordinary gesture that almost drove me crazy, I did not even understand what happened in the next moment. But when I saw her tongue dry lips, I ... groaned. A loud, involuntary groan escaped my damn mouth! So much so that she heard it! Because the next second she dropped the menu and looked at me questioningly. And I, realizing what had happened, and I turned red.

- Are you okay? - Bora looked at me with a searching look. - You feel bad?

Yes, I feel bad. I feel very bad.

- No,” I squeezed out of myself, smiling. - The stomach just cramped. I haven't eaten anything since morning, - I found myself, continuing to gain color.

- Oh,” she drawled, looking at me suspiciously, “then we'd better order something as soon as possible.

- Uh-huh," I mumbled, hiding my face behind the menu folder.

I looked at pictures of dishes, at their names, but I did not see anything at all. The letters danced and blurred like I had dyslexia.

Our waiter came up to us and smiled:

- Ladies, have you decided?

- Yes, I will order salmon fillet with a specialty mushroom sauce without garnish. And a glass of red wine. Semisweet, - Bora gave the menu to the waiter, and looked at me expectantly.

And I didn’t see what was on the menu. I didn't even understand what she ordered, so I also gave the folder to the waiter and said:

- I'll order the same. And juice. Orange. I'm driving, - I explained to Bora.

- Two fillets of salmon with a special sauce without a garnish, a glass of wine and juice, - repeated the young guy, whom I no longer listened to and, having informed the approximate cooking time, took his leave.

I sat and fiddled with a napkin, because I could no longer shamelessly stare at my friend's girl, and I had no idea what to talk to her about.

I was rescued again by the waiter, who was right next to us with drinks. My water ran out, and so I could occupy myself with at least something. I will sit and choke on juice until Minji comes. 

We clinked dishes, and Bora took a small sip of wine.

- Oh, good choice.” She nodded approvingly, putting down her glass.

- Yes, mine too,” I joked, raising my glass of juice.

- So you are an accountant? - Bora suddenly started a conversation.

- Yes,” I nodded.

- Where did you study?

- Ordinary economic university. - I waved my hand.

- So you knew that you would become an accountant? - Bora leaned back in her chair, and her posture became more relaxed. What could not be said about me. I seemed to be sitting, tense as a string.

- Well, I've always liked numbers ... Reporting, statistics, tables. Everything has its own algorithm, order. Stability, - I smiled slightly, trying not to linger on her eyes, which were looking studying.

- So you like stability? She took a small sip of wine again and put the glass on the table. But she did not remove her hand, continuing to the stem of the glass with her finger. I, without stopping, followed her movements. What beautiful fingers. Surely they are gentle and strong. A neat manicure and a small ring on the middle finger. But these were the most beautiful fingers in the world.

- What? I blinked, realizing that I had listened to her question while imagining how delicate these fingers could be.

- I say, then you like stability? She grinned again, raising an eyebrow.

- I? I frowned, trying my best to focus on the conversation. - I - yes. Stability is good.

God, what an idiot I am. "Be, me, stability is good." A parrot would be a more entertaining conversation.

- And you? How did you become CFO at ... sorry for the cockiness, how old are you? - excellent, Siyeon, the whole phrase and without stuttering. Well done, you're going for a record.

- I'm thirty. Well, I have been in this company for eight years already, I also started with accounting, then I transferred to the financial department, and so ... As a result, now I am a financial director.

- Good career growth,” I nodded respectfully. - You are great, really.

- Thanks.

We were silent for a while, then Bora looked at me as if he remembered something:

- Recently you said that you are not in the city. Did you go somewhere to rest?

When did I say that? At the exhibition? God, was she listening to me?

- Well, you could say that,” I nodded. - I was at my, as Minji says, dacha.

- Country house?

- Well, it's just a house outside the city. Country house. Not a vegetable garden, but a holiday home. I'm resting there. There is almost no one around, cars, no noise, only nature, ”I said dreamily, almost closing my eyes in pleasure. I can talk for hours about the dacha.

- It's great. I myself thought about buying myself a house somewhere outside the city to spend the weekend there.

- Really?! - I almost choked on the juice. I want to marry this woman.

- Yes, - Bora grinned, - until I was five years old I lived in the village. Then my father became famous, started selling paintings, and we moved to the city.

- Great,” I whistled.

- Yes ... Probably, the ancient roots pull me to nature, - the girl smiled.

- Where are your parents now? I asked cautiously.

- Dad died when I just entered college, and my mother now lives in Thailand.

- Really?

- Yes, - Boraa rolled her eyes, - she ... Several years ago she mastered the computer and started ... - the girl laughed, - God. She began to write women's novels.

- Are you serious? - I could not believe my ears. And I also didn’t notice how I was leaning on the table and leaning over to her, listening with all my ears.- “Yes,” she drawled. - Well, in the style: "He took out his rod of love, she fluttered" and all that.

- This is a star, - I laughed.

- This is called a female novel,” Bora laughed, raising her finger.

- Awesome. And now she lives on the coast and writes novels?

- Yes, can you imagine? Moreover, she makes good money. Her novels are sold at newsstands and even airports, sold like hotcakes.

- What is her name? Well, the author's pseudonym?

- God, no! I won't tell you for anything! - Bora waved her hands, laughing.

- Come on, I won't tell anyone, - I continued to , sincerely admiring the girl's smile.

- Maybe someday I'll tell you her name, but not now,”Bora answered in a mysterious voice, winking at me.

- I can wait,” I nodded, not knowing what I’m talking about.

- Let's see, - Bora wanted to say something else, as her eyes widened slightly, and her lips curved into a smile. - And we already thought you would not come.

I turned my head and saw Minji approaching us. She was wearing trousers and a jacket, slightly rumpled and obviously tired.

- Sorry, girls, there’s a lot of work,” Mnji kissed Bora on the lips and patted me on the shoulder. I smiled discreetly at her, moving a little back - on the back of the chair.

- I’m so hungry,” Minji said with fervor, gesturing to the waiter to come over.

After about ten minutes of casual conversation, Bora and I were simultaneously brought our order. And then I realized that I shouldn't have listened to what she was saying to the waiter. Because they brought me ... fish.

- Have you become a lover of seafood? - Raising an eyebrow, asked Minji, staring at my plate.

- I ... well ...

- What's the matter? - Bora asked

- Siyeon hates fish, - Minji explained, looking at me with bewilderment.

Damn, well, can’t I admit that I was staring at her girlfriend with all my eyes, and didn’t even think when I made the order?

- There ... There is a lot of phosphorus, - I muttered, also taking out my fork and looking with pity at the fillet of poor salmon, which lay under the sauce, which also contained mushrooms. - This is useful. Well, for the brain there ... And everything else.

- Like mushrooms, apparently? - Minji continued to pry. - You are  allergic to mushrooms

- I ... - here I did not know what to answer. - I didn't think there would be mushrooms ...

- But this is… mushroom sauce,” Bora remarked logically.

- You know, I’m not hungry,” I muttered, pushing back the plate. I bet my ears were on fire. I always act like an idiot.

- Hard day? - Minji smiled. - Let me eat your fish, and you take my meat. I don't care what stuffing my stomach. Moreover, the fish is already here, and the meat is still being cooked. And I'm terribly hungry.

I looked at Minji gratefully and nodded. I was hungry too, but ... fish and mushrooms? What was I just thinking? Oh, yes, I didn't think at all. When I stared at Bora with all my eyes. On Minji's girlfriend. Her girlfriend. Heck.

The meat was very tasty, and after an hour we were already full and satisfied. Minji ordered a beer, Marina ordered another glass of wine, and I think I have already drunk a liter of juice.

We were talking about Bora's new apartment, where she was still buying furniture, when Minji unexpectedly said:

- You said that you have several wardrobes and a prefabricated bed? You wanted to hire someone else to collect them.

Bora nodded slowly, not understanding where Minjiwas leading. But I started to guess.

- Let Siyeon collect. Do you know how skillful she is? There was a barn at her dacha, so she rebuilt it herself.

- Hey! - I was indignant. Minji may not like my house, but I will not allow her to offend.

- Okay, okay, - Minji raised her hand apologetically, - at her country estate. Plantations. Cottage. That's better? - Laughing, asked Minji.

- Another thing, - I smiled.

- So, she can help you. Yes, Siyeon? - Minji shamelessly looked at me, blinking her eyes.

- Well ... It's somehow inconvenient, - Bora doubted.

- Come on,” Minji waved her hand. - Otherwise, you will sleep on a bare mattress.

- Are you sleeping on the mattress? - it was my turn to raise my eyebrows inquiringly.

- Well, the bed is now folded, so yeah,” Bora smiled with a shrug.

- Then it's better not to doubt it,” I smiled. - No problem, I'll collect it.

- Indeed? - Bora's eyes shone.

- Sure. No question, - I nodded in the affirmative.

- Pick a day and we'll pack the furniture,” Minji said happily, sipping beer straight from the bottle, ignoring the glass offered by the waiter.

- Maybe Friday after work? If, of course, it's not difficult for you, - Bora smiled modestly, looking at me.

- Yes, let's do it. On Friday. Is seven o'clock okay? Or early? I have Friday until six.

- At seven excellent, just right. Yes? Bora looked at Minji.

- Well, I'm working up to seven, but I'll just come later. There is still no use for me there, - Minji laughed.

And that was true. Minji knew how to talk and make any person talk, she could become an authority in the company in a couple of minutes, she knew how to manipulate, but she was a complete ignoramus in terms of household matters. I doubt she ever held a nail in her hands. But I was all right with that.

- Then we agreed, - Bora smiled.

When I returned home from dinner with friends, I caught myself with a disappointing thought - I like Bora. And I had suspicions that not only outwardly. And if I'm not careful, then all this threatens to turn into a real disaster. Which I shouldn't have allowed.

 

Hello!

I hope you liked it
Feel free to comment!
Have a nice day!