Chapter Five: Kim Yongsun

Just Another Happy Ever After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

--This is another long chapter my Friends. This is an introduction of Kim Yongsun. I do feel the need to give all of you a backstory of the lives of the two main character, that's all. Our life is an interweave of stories - good and bad.--

 

Yongsun angrily closes her laptop. She is stuck! She is also not convinced that the story she is writing has a good plot. She feels that there is something missing, and she doesn’t know what that is. She wanted to blame Eric, her ex-boyfriend, for the 'drought' she is facing now, but she knows that she is just fooling herself. It’s been several weeks that she is distracted and couldn’t focus on her job. Every detail of that event still lingers in her mind – no matter how hard she tries to forget it.

Yes, she admits that it affected her more than she initially thought. She couldn’t stop thinking about that night --- about that woman.

For goodness sake! She couldn’t afford to do this right now. She needs to pay her rent and her only source of income is writing. She is currently working in a publishing company that’s well-known for publishing romance novels.

When she learned that her long-time boyfriend had cheated on her, she felt betrayed and out of self-pity and insecurity, she used up all her savings to make herself forget him.  That was a week before she met that woman and had a one-night stand with her. Since then, she wasn’t able to get back her groove. Now, she needed to do something, or she might be evicted from her place.

Kim Yongsun came from one of the well-known family in Korea. She grow up with her two other siblings in a mansion inside one of the exclusive subdivisions in Gangnam-gu.  Her older brother had expectedly followed their father’s footsteps and became a businessman and her younger sister is going to be a good doctor soon.  And she? A trying hard, starving novelist. They say that there is always an odd one in the family, and she thinks that it is her. She doesn’t want to be a businesswoman or a doctor, a lawyer, or a teacher. She wants to be a writer. Of course, her parents did not approve. Her father said that she will not get anything from being a writer, that it is not for her.

When she told her parents that she wanted to change into a course that could help her improve her writing skills, they told her right away that they won’t support her foolishness anymore. Just to please her family, she tried finishing her course, even if she doesn’t like it.  She graduated having a degree in nursing but she doesn’t want to pursue that career. She doesn’t want to find a job related to it and she don’t want to take the licensure exam.  She doesn’t even know why she took it in the first place. She just know she will be bad at it.

Yongsun wanted to become a writer.  She wanted to be like her cousin, Jiwo, a famous writer who wrote one of the famous film and tv series in the country.

They saw each other in one of the family dinners and she asked her if she’s already done with university.  “Nope, I think Yuna will become a doctor first, before I’m finish with it”, she bitterly chuckled. It’s not the first time that she was asked about that. But for some weird reason, she wanted to feel ashamed. Jiwo has always been nice to her and her cousin is the only one who truly cared for her. Jiwo didn’t see her as useless, unlike the other members of their family.

Jiwo just chuckled – not the belittling kind, but the one that expressed her utter amusement to her answer. “You’ll be great Yong. You can do everything that you want.”

Yongsun just sighed. “It’s not easy when everyone in your family is famous and over-achievers... How’s writing?”

“Great! The writing is okay. You know I’ve always thought you’d be like me, kid.”

“Be like you?”

“A writer.” Jiwo knowingly smiled.

Yongsun laughed even though she doesn’t know why she is laughing.

‘I remember when you were little, you would always carry crayon box and papers. You will draw something in the paper and afterwards you will tell a story about what you draw to a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter