2015

Lovers on A Leash
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The year was 2015 and somewhere in the city, hidden from the summer heat, a couple was staring at a A4 document placed between them on the table.

“I think this means we did it,” Yiseo whispered, her eyes meeting Jongin’s. It took them only five seconds before they both jumped from their place, throwing their arms around each other. She was proud of him while he was afraid of what stood ahead, despite the road being wide and well-lit. “Congratulations, Kim Jongin,” she said while holding him tightly, “I never doubted you.”

“I couldn’t have done it without you,” he pulled away just for a second before hugging her again. “I know this is just the beginning, but I want you to be there with me every step of the way,” Jongin continued, his fingers digging in the back-pocket of his jeans. “I know it’s not much, but there’s no one else for me, Song Yiseo and I plan to make you my wife.”

Two silvery, simple bands laid inside a small box. He didn’t kneel or anything, but Yiseo knew that he meant it for the long run.

“Couple rings, huh? Quite the commitment you’re taking,” she teased, putting her ring on.

“I have big plans for your engagement ring, that’s why these can’t be too fancy. I promise to make you happy for now,” Jongin rested his forehead against hers, hoping that the contact itself would be able to deliver all he couldn’t say in words.

The year was 2015, a hot summer day which both Jongin and Yiseo couldn’t forget no matter how hard they tried.

* * *

It was already their fourth meeting for the day and their faces were only getting darker with disappointment. Apparently, despite being stellar students and having perfect resumes, no one was willing to invest in their startup company. One product was no enough to convince investors.

“I really don’t get it! The business plan and marketing are perfect to the dot,” Jongin sulked in his chair. The rented space for their office was small and expensive, making his head spin whenever he had to pay the bills.

“We need one single big investor, a ‘tow-truck’,” Yiseo looked over their papers once again, despite knowing everything by heart. “I could talk to Jun and –”

“No!” Jongin was quick to shoot down her proposal. “If we don’t get through this by ourselves, we’ll never get anywhere. Maybe we should look into another loan.”

“Banks will want a guarantor this time, or at least something worth investing in.”

“Are you saying we’re not worth investing in?” His eyebrow twitched.

“What I’m saying is that we’re a start-up company with almost nothing to our name. Facts,” Yiseo pointed out. “We have one single product created by our labs and despite selling quite well, you can’t call that a profit yet.”

“There has to be a way.”

“Junmyeon can help, you know that.”

Jongin’s eye narrowed, forming a fine line. “He already knows.” It wasn’t a question, but a dangerous remark that stood between them like a bomb ready to explode.

But just smiled.

“I can’t believe you!”

“Who do you think did our papers? Do you think I just happened to land on a ton of money to pay a good law firm?!” Yiseo exploded in return. “Don’t be a child and listen to me when I tell you that Junmyeon can help us. He’s willing to get us a meeting with his father.”

“Oh, why don’t we just hand over everything to him then?!”

“It’s a meeting, Jongin, nothing else. I don’t want handouts either.”

“Yet you want to get your rich- friend to invest in our company! Now you’re showing your true colours, Song Yiseo.”

“I would rather have him invest than lose both our houses!” Yiseo retorted angrily.

For a second they stared at each other, blood boiling, neither willing to concede.

“I will have none of this,” Jongin finally said on a low tone. A warning.

“Fine! It’s your company anyway,” she turned to take her purse from where she had dropped it on one of the chairs before leaving the office.

“Oh, now it’s ‘my’ company!” He yelled at her back, his fists hitting the hard surface of the desk. It hurt. His fists, her insistence to go to Junmyeon. But nothing hurt like Yiseo’s back him like that. He knew he had to apologize, but he was too angry to see it yet. So he did what he knew better: he bottled everything down and went for a drink. Somewhere Jongin knew he would easily stumble across Junmyeon. However, Jongin wasn’t the only one who thought of meeting him.

“I can’t believe you,” Jongin said between his clenched teeth.

“What about you?” Yiseo fired back, glaring. “I thought you don’t want ‘any of this’,” she added salt to his wound.

“Seeing you here sure makes me change my mind.” But Yiseo caught him by the hand before he could leave. “What? Didn’t you already choose your line, you little betrayer?”

Yiseo sighed. “Look, I’ll leave. You can talk to him or not, it’s your choice. But trust me when I say that Junmyeon’s father could be the IT for us at this point. Call me when you’re done.” And with that she left him at the table as Junmyeon approached.

“Lovers’ quarrel?” He snickered while sitting at the table.

“In your dreams,” Jongin frowned.

For a couple of long seconds it seemed like that two were decided to have a staring contest, neither wanting to look away first. Then Junmyeon sighed deeply and looked over the menu a waiter left on their table.

“I don’t want your father’s money,” Jongin said, clenching his fists under the table. “But I think we’re in no position to refuse any investor at this point.”

“I can arrange you a meeting with him, but I don’t promise he’ll invest,” the other said, still not looking at him. “Has Krystal contacted you lately?” Their eyes met briefly before Jongin looked down. “I take that she hasn’t. Did you know that she’s rich?”

“What’s your point here?” Jongin was sure he didn’t like the direction their conversation had suddenly taken. “I don’t care how rich she is.”

“I happened to meet her for business purposes a couple of days ago. She sounded quite intrigued by your company,” Junmyeon sipped from his wine. “If you don’t like the idea of my family investing, maybe you should contact her.”

“What’s your deal, you piece of ? You know the situation very well.” Jongin was struggling to stay calm. Whatever Junmyeon was doing was pissing the crap out of him. “Maybe this is a sign that I should indeed look somewhere else for an investor,” he then decided.

He was about to leave when he heard Junmyeon.

“Don’t be stupid, there’s no such thing as personal life when it comes to business. You have two perfect possibilities in front of you; are you really going to screw everything just because of bad blood?”

Jongin still left, not bothering to grace Junmyeon with a reply. However, the words got to his head, leaving him sleepless. He didn’t like it whatsoever that Junmyeon was right, but there was no way to keep his company afloat; he needed the money.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter