The Day Before

Lovers on A Leash
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song Yiseo was tired, mentally more than physically, but couldn’t just drop everything and take a nap. Instead she went up to the Sky Garden. The slight breeze was like a gentle caress on her skin, the sunlight warming up her cold skin, reminding her of days when she would dry her hair in the sun. Back then too she was concealing feelings while watching Jongin from afar… now, it was so much harder to keep her heart steady.

“There you are!” Jongin popped next to her, two mugs of coffee in his hands. “I thought you might need this.”

“Since when do you care about others?” She stared at the mug he was offering. “Thanks,” she ultimately accepted his offer. “Sehun and I managed to secure investment for the French branch. You’ll have the papers on your desk in a couple of hours after secretary Kim finishes the monthly report as well. I missed your coffee,” Yiseo added with a small voice, her hands wrapped around the warmth of the mug.

“I’ll always brew it for you.”

She didn’t look at him – she didn’t want to. “You’re finally getting married tomorrow.”

“I am, aren’t I?” Jongin’s fingers forced Yiseo to look at him. But she couldn’t read whatever emotions were trying to make it to the surface through his eyes. Instead she remembered Junmyeon.

“Whatever this was between us until now – it was a mistake,” Yiseo said, making sure to look Jongin in the eyes as the words rolled off her tongue. “And it needs to stop.”

“Can you though?” He sneaked his hand to push her hair on her back, exposing the side of her face where he then kissed her. It was different than before, than all his other kisses – this one was sweet, drawing out memories Yiseo wanted to forget because they were like nails going through her heart.

She just smiled, allowing the proximity between them. “You’re just like the alcohol I long stopped drinking. You’re toxic, Jongin. And if I keep going down this path…” She shook her head as if trying to banish away whatever image made it in there. “I’m going to die because there will be no you to save me this time,” she said, believing every word.

“What about you then? What are you for me then if not toxic as well?” Jongin asked in return, pulling her closer, their lips a couple of inches away. Sure, it wasn’t like in his office, where they could get caught by his secretary; the Sky Gardens were open to every single employee of the company.

“Goodbye, Kim Jongin,” Yiseo said, her words imprinting on his lips.

All she had was to take a step further, then another one and another one. All she had to do was to walk away. Jongin wasn’t going to follow her – she was sure of that. But every step she took away from him was like a hot iron stabbing her heart again and again and again. Until all there was nothing left but ashes.

“Can you please come pick me up?” She said weakly in the phone as the elevator headed for the floor where her office was. She picked her purse and left clear instructions for her secretary to finish all the papers Jongin needed before heading out where Junmyeon was waiting next to his parked car.

He didn’t ask her anything, just opened the door for her before jogging to the driver’s place. The engine roared and Yiseo was sure that it was truly the end. She had been convinced by Jongin’s silence. But she didn’t see was him rushing out of the building just as the car was rolling away or the way he tried to catch up before the distance made him look like a dot.

* * *

The entire city could be seen from where Junmyeon had parked. They watched the sun set in complete silence, because no matter how much he wanted to comfort her, her pain required silence; at least until it settled and Yiseo got used to its new intensity.

“You asked me to meet you halfway,” she finally spoke, long after the first stars started to appear. “But you see, right now I don’t think I can make the distance that you need. Even if I could, I don’t think I could ever completely let go of him. And that wouldn’t be fair.”

“What’s so great about him anyway? All he does is hurt you again and again.” Junmyeon’s fingers

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter