Rebels

Selection

Jimin left the dinning hall with his friends. It was very late so they said their goodbyes, each of them heading to his room. Jimin on the other hand wanted to get some fresh air so he headed to the gardens. He was on his way when someone rounded the corner too fast and bumped into him making him stumble back. He yelped, but instead of falling on the ground he felt a pair of strong arms being wrapped around his waist. He heard a soft laugh. 

"We must stop meeting this way."

Looking up Jimin saw the Prince looking at him smiling. He blushed. 

"Well you literally came out of nowhere and almost gave me a heart attack." Jimin said making Jungkook chuckle. 

"My apologies, I was in a hurry and assumed no one will be out at this time." he said still holding Jimin. "Now that I'm thinking about it, why are you out now? You should head to your room and get some rest."

"Oh well I just wanted some fresh air so I was heading to the gardens." he saw Jungkook was thinking and raised his eyebrow at him. 

"Umm didn't they mentioned it to you that you're not allowed to be in the gardens at night?"

"What?" Jimin whined. "Why not?"

Jungkook was silent for a few moments thinking whether he should tell him or not. In the meantime Jimin suddenly noticed that Jungkook's arms were still around him. He wasn't sure how that made him feel. He took a small step back and Jungkook dropped his hands. He was thinking too hard to even notice.  

"Okay I'll tell you because I trust that you won't make a scene out of it alright?" he looked at him with a firm look. Jimin nodded. 

"Alright, I'll tell you. But how about we go to your room? You have a pretty big balcony do you not?"  Jimin pouted but agreed anyway. He wanted to go out to the gardens but he couldn't. 

On their way to Jimin's room, Jimin glanced at Jungkook seeing he's a little worried. 

"Did something happen? You look concerned." he asked him. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to space out. It's actually quite ridiculous."

"It's not ridiculous if it's bothering you." Jimin said honestly, making Jungkook look at him in silence for a few seconds before smiling.

"Thank you." he said. "You see, I lost my bunny this afternoon, I've looked everywhere for him, the staff searched as well and we just couldn't seem to find him." he said a little sad. 

"Oh!" Jimin exclaimed. "You mean Bugs?"

"How do you know my bunny's name?" Jungkook looked lost. 

"Well that's because he's in my room upstairs." Jimin explained. "I saw him this afternoon and so I took him to the dance studio with me. I didn't know he was yours until my butlers told me when I brought him to my room."

"You had Bugs all along?" the Prince looked shocked. 

"Yes I'm sorry I didn't think about it too much. I'm sorry I caused you trouble." Jimin looked at the floor, feeling slightly guilty for causing problems. 

"That's okay. But do tell me something." jimin nodded. "Did Bugs let you lift him up?"

"Actually he was the one who came running to me and jumped in my arms. It was so adorable." Jimin said cooing. 

"Did he now?" Jungkook said surprised. 

They reached Jimin's room. Entering, they saw the three butlers playing with the little bunny. Well to be fair, Wooyoung was playing with Bugs while San watched him fondly and Seonghwa was walking around the room lifting what was left of Bugs' carrots and throwing it to the trash bin in the corner of the room. At first, they didn't even notice that the Prince and Jimin had entered the room, continuing with their occupations. The first one to notice the new presence in the room was surprisingly, Bugs. Bugs turned towards the guests, running in Jimin's direction, jumping into his arms as soon as he reached him. Jimin giggled drawing the butlers' attention to him. Seeing the Prince was there, the three stood straight, fixing their uniforms and bowing. 

"H-hello highness, how are you?" Seonghwa asked still bowing. 

"I'm great thank you. Also please stand up." he said smiling. "Thank you for taking care of my bunny. He tends to cause problems so I hope he wasn't an inconvenience."

Jimin watched as Wooyoung denied it profoundly, saying how much he loved Bugs. He saw the respect and love his butlers had to their Prince, even if they were extremely awkward every time he came. What he couldn't help but notice was how the Prince was always so respectful and kind to his butlers. Talking to them and treating them like equals, instead of making them feel inferior, he really liked that about the Prince. It made him more human and likeable. Jimin petted Bugs who wiggled his tail in response, burrowing his nose in Jimin's chest. 

Jungkook saw the entire interaction between his bunny and Jimin, looking at both of them with soft and fond eyes. He found it interesting that his bunny felt so comfortable around Jimin, he knew Bugs wasn't very fond of new people. It was almost like his bunny showed him that he approved Jimin, if he was to be Jungkook's  choice. The three butlers saw the Prince looking at Jimin with such soft and gentle eyes and decided that was the moment to leave the room quietly. It would have been quietly if Wooyoung didn't trip over his feet yelping quite loudly almost falling on the floor if it wasn't for San. The problem was that San tripped as well, making both of them drop to the ground with a loud thud. 

"Oh my God, are you guys okay?" Jimin said handing the bunny to Jungkook, and heading to where San and Wooyoung were laying. 

"Yeah I'm okay, but I literally fell on San so he might be hurt." Wooyoung said after Jimin helped him up. 

San got up by himself, and looked at Wooyoung. 

"Are you sure you're not hurt anywhere?" he said looking at Wooyoung up and down as if he was looking for scratches. 

"I said I'm okay, but you definitely hurt your shoulder, let's go put some ice on it."

"No I'm fine." San said, even though he really did hurt his shoulder. 

"No you're not." Wooyoung said pouting. "Please it's my fault we fell, so let me help you, please?" he looked at San with worried eyes. 

San sighed giving in and the three left the room bowing to the Prince and saying goodnight to Jimin. 

"Well that was subtle." Jungkook chuckled making Jimin giggle.

"Let's go sit in the balcony so you can tell me why I can't go to the gardens at night."

They both reached the balcony, sitting on the chairs that were there. There was a nice breeze that carried the flowery scent of the gardens to Jimin's room, making his room smell like a field of flowers. Jungkook realized then that that's how Jimin smelt, like wild flowers, like happiness and freedom. Jungkook understood that Jimin was exactly that. A happy, wild free spirit that you can't tame. He didn't want to tame him, he wanted to be more like him, he wanted to feel free and happy. Truly happy, not the fake smiles he had to put on all the time. 

Bugs jumped out of his hands going straight to Jimin looking at him and waiting to be lifted up into his arms. 

"I think he likes you more than he likes me." Jung chuckled half whining. 

Jimin petted the bunny who got comfortable in Jimin's arms looking tired. 

"I guess that's because I gave him a lot of attention."

"Yeah, unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to spend with him. Especialy with the selection going on and all." he looked exhausted. 

"Well if it's any help, I think you're doing a great job Jungkookie. I really do." 

Jungkook looked surprised at the nickname, but smiled softly afterwards. They were silent for a few moments just enjoying each others company and the night sky. Jungkook looked at Jimin. He took off his jacket and shoes as soon as they came in, he also noticed how Jimin never wore a tie. After he got to know him a little more he knew it's probably because jimin felt the tie was like a leash. Jimin also never wore big fancy jewelry like some of the chosen did. He was always dressed simply but elegantly and always looked good no matter what .In the sunlight Jimin was stunning, radiating light and happiness. But in the moonlight, Jimin was glowing, his features were softer and he had an aura that made him look like a fairy. 

"Jungkook?" Jimin said and the look on his face showed Jungkook that he called him more than once but he was too spaced out to hear. 

"Yeah I'm sorry, it's just that you're quite captivating in the moonlight." Jungkook said before he could stop himself. 

Jimin looked at him surprised, a light blush started spreading on his face making him look extra cute. 

"Umm, t-thank you." he said shyly not looking at Jungkook.

Jungkook chuckled lightly looking at Jimin. 

"You probably want to know why you can't go to the gardens at night time right?"

"Yes." Jimin said happy at the change of subject. 

"Well, it's no secret we're at war." Jimin nodded. "What most people don't know is the actual reason as to why we're at war. You see, Korea has always been in good relations with China. That was until they crowned the new king a few years back. This king came with a whole new agenda, he wanted Korea, deciding it was his to take. The problem is that he's partially right."

"What do you mean?"

"The king of china, Kang Yeosang is my dad's relative. And since my parents couldn't have more kids other than me, if we die, he's the next one in line for the throne. The problem is that he claims that he's the one who should have been the king, not my dad. We don't know why he thinks that, we believe he lost his mind entirely. He plans to take over our country, it's his dream and nothing will stop him from trying and achieving it." Jungkook finished taking a few deep breaths. 

Looking at him Jimin understood that there were a lot of things laying on this man's shoulders. This boy's shoulders, Jimin corrected himself looking at Jungkook ruffling his hair and yawning. He has a lot of burdens he's not sharing with anyone, it must be lonely when you don't have anyone to talk to. 

"So this whole war is just him wanting to take over Korea?" Jungkook nodded. "Then what's up with the rebels?"

"We are actually not sure what they want or what are they rebelling against. They just show up at the castle sometimes writing freedom  on our walls and destroying the castle and wounding our staff."

"They don't kill people?"

"That's a bit more complicated. You see, these rebels, the ones I just told you about, they're like a gang called 'horizon'. The rebels you just mentioned, the rebels that get in the palace and kill the soldiers and staff, those are called 'shadow'. They're also like some sort of a gang, only that this gang is deadly." 

"Did they name themselves?" Jimin asked, curious. 

"We named both, but I believe they're using those names as well. A few weeks ago we had a rebel attack at the palace. shadow  has been writing in blood on one of the walls. It's like they take pride in those names now. It's horrible."

"And the reason we can't be in the gardens at night is because they might attack. Am I right?"

"Yes that's exactly the reason. The problem is that we never know when they might attempt to attack the palace so we take precaution. I'm quite surprised that they didn't mention it to you." he said concerned. 

"Oh they might have and I just don't remember. Or wasn't listening when they said it." Jimin shrugged, making Jungkook chuckle. 

"Well regardless of what you just told me, I'm going to check whether they actually told you or not. It's a matter of life and death. I don't want any of you hurt."

Jimin looked at him yawning again. He looked at the watch, it was almost 3am. Which means they've been talking for more than two hours. 

"You should go get some rest. You look way too tired." Jimin said. 

"Yeah I know. You should probably do the same."

"Hmm."

They said they should get some rest yet none of them showed any intention of actually moving. That was until Jimin saw Jungkook falling asleep on the chair. He got up with Bugs peacefully sleeping in his arms. He came close to Jungkook looking at him. This close he could see the mole under his lips and the little scar on his left cheek. He looked like a teenage boy when he was sleeping. Jimin thought that it wasn't far from the truth, after all Jungkook was only twenty. He was two years younger than Jimin, but most of the time he looked and acted like his much older than Jimin. Jimin assumed that it was part of the job description. The circumstances made him grow and mature way too fast. He was so much kinder than he first thought, he was so caring and trusting. Jimin felt like he miss judged him, not even giving him a chance. He looked at his lips again. They were parted as Jungkook was sleeping, Jimin wondered how it would feel to kiss him. Then he suddenly understood what he was thinking, he shook his head feeling his heart pounding a little faster then usual. He ignored it, feeling overwhelmed, and touched the younger's shoulder gently. 

"Jungkookie you shouldn't sleep here, you need to go to your room and sleep on a bed."

Jungkook woke up and nodded. He got off the chair slowly heading to the door, Jimin following right behind him. When he got to the door he turned to face Jimin. 

"I don't have to tell you that you shouldn't mention what I just told you to anyone else right?"

"Of course I won't." Jimin said looking offended at the suggestion that he might tell anyone. 

"I know you won't. I trust you." Jungkook said smiling at Jimin and opening the door. 

"Wait, don't you want to take Bugs with you?"

"Oh right I forgot." Jungkook chuckled turning around to see Bugs peacefully sleeping in Jimin's arms. "It seems like he trusts you too." he said taking the bunny from Jimin's arms. 

"Goodnight Jungkookie, get some rest."

"Goodnight Jiminie, don't stay up to late." he said and closed the door behind him. 

Jimin flopped on the bed being able only to take off his slacks before covering himself with the blanket and falling asleep. 

 

The day afterwards, Jimin was in the library. They had some free time and were told to write letters to their families. Jimin couldn't believe he was almost a week in the palace and didn't write Tae a single letter. It was such a hectic week and so much was going on that it just slipped his mind. When Jinyoung asked them to write letters, he said that some of the chosen already got multiple letters. He said that staring into Jimin's soul. When he went to get paper to write his letter, Jinyoung handed him three letters all of them Tae's letters. Tae's letters consisted of accusation towards Jimin because he didn't write to him as soon as he got there. Then followed some threats on his life if he ever thought of doing it again. Those made Jimin laugh cause Tae couldn't hurt a fly. After that came a blast of questions, how was he doing? Was the Prince as handsome in person as he was on TV? Did he kiss him? Are they getting married? Will he get to visit the palace? Was the food mind-blowing? Did he have any friends? Was he lonely? Did he miss him? And a million other questions. Jimin smiled to himself while reading his letters. There were also a few words from his parents saying that they hope he's eating and sleeping well and that he's taking care of himself. All the chosen were scattered all over the palace, some in their respective rooms, some in the gardens. He decided to go to the library and write there because it was quiet and peaceful. But after writing the first few sentences of the letter, he suddenly heard a loud noise. A noise that you could never ignore even if you tried. It was the alarm of the palace. It only meant one thing. 

There are rebels in the palace. 

 

To be continued… .