Spark

Memories Bring Back You

“Hey, here’s your coffee”

Jessica sat down and placed the coffees on their table. Taeyeon coaxed her bestfriend into studying for their finals. Hence, the café near their school.

“Oh wow, you bought me coffee, that’s so nice.” Taeyeon said. She sipped into her coffee and let out a satisfied sigh as she felt the warm sustenance going down the length of . She definitely needed that “Thank you”

“Of course, it would be so rude if I came back here with just my one cup” she smiled. “Right, getting back to work…” she said to herself as she open her notes from where she stopped.

“You have not made ANY progress. At all.” Taeyeon said as she realized jessica’s still on the same page the last time she looked

“Wha- I am doing good progress, okay? I’ve been doing some..diligent studying, well trying to. But look around this café, no one’s really that focused.”

“Except me.”

“Okay, maybe except for you.”

“And I’m trying to focus right now, so you should do that as well.” And taeyeon went back into studying.

When jessica took a break, buying coffee was her procrastination excuse. She didn’t really want to get back into studying, but she has no choice. It didn’t take her long though, to get distracted again and open her phone. Taeyeon got distracted as well, but for a different reason. She can hear nails tapping to a phone screen, and when she looked up, she saw jessica is on her phone. Again.

“Sica…”

“What?”  jessica asked in which taeyeon answered with a look on jessica’s phone, then looked back at her “What? I was working, I’m just taking a break.”

“You literally just took a break 5 minutes ago”

“W-well I have urgent matters to attend to”

Taeyeon snatched jessica’s phone and she saw the screen, halfway through an insta story “On Instagram”

“Give me that, leave me alone” she tried to snatch her phone back but taeyeon was moving her hand away. They played for a good minute until a guy near their table shushed them, and they both laughed silently.

“I told you to just give my phone back”

“If I did, you’re just gonna get distracted again.”

“BECAUSE I don’t want to studyyyyyy” jessica whined then put her head on the table

“You wouldn’t do well in school if it wasn’t for me, convincing you into studying, you know?” she boasted then flipped her hair, jessica feigned shock

“Excuse me, I would still do great without you, okay? I’d be completely fine.”

“But less efficient.”

“My. Lord. Ok, fine! Fine. You win. My life is infinitely better because you’re in it, I owe everything to you, you’re a genius and the best student this world has ever seen. Happy?”

“Thank you, even though I can fully hear the sarcasm out of it.” And they both laughed until taeyeon’s face became serious and it didn’t go unnoticed.

“What’s up? You’re really nervous about the exams, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I mean, I really want to go into a good university in the future. If I’m really hopeful, you know that I wanted to get into a college overseas. Like juiliard or something. You know that more than anyone.”

“Hey, you’ll be fine. You have nothing to worry about. You’ve always done great on all exams, plus we’ve prepared plenty of time to go over the materials for the exams. You are gonna kill it, I mean, think of all the times before when you’ve been stressed out like this but you always ended up doing great.” She said, trying to comfort her bestfriend.

“Thank you, sica.” She’s grateful that she has a bestfriend like jessica.

“You know what we need? A break.”

“Good grief.”

“Come ooooon. We’ve been here all day already~” jessica whined again

“Fine, because you cheered me up and bought me coffee, let’s eat an early dinner. My treat.”

Taeyeon has never seen jessica act this fast before, she’s always been a slow-poke. They packed their stuff then left the café.

-

After they ate, taeyeon herself doesn’t want to get back into studying and just call it a day. She invited jessica to her place to drink some tea and just chat.

“We are never going back to that place. EVER. I can’t believe you suggested it.” Jessica said

“The food was great though.”

“No, it was awful. That waiter fully hates us and it’s all your fault.” They both laughed when they remembered what happened between taeyeon and the waiter.

“My fault? You were the one who dared me to poke his ”

“I didn’t think you would actually do it! I was just messing with you”

“Alright, alright, fair enough. The look on his face was epic, so it was worth it” She turned the engine off as they settle down with their laughs. They were about to get off but the rain started pouring really hard “Wow, it’s really pouring outside…”

“I kinda don’t wanna go inside though”

“Why not? It’s warmer inside.”

“Look at the rain, maybe we can wait for it to settle down first. And the front door’s a bit far, we’ll get soaked by the time we get inside. We can hang out here, and talk. That’s what friends do, right? We talk about stuff.” The way jessica said ‘friends’ didn’t go unnoticed by taeyeon and she kinda knew what jessica is hinting.

“I love this though, if I’m being honest. Not being trapped in the car, but the sound of the rain hitting the roof and the silence… It’s so relaxing.” Taeyeon admitted

“That kinda ruins the whole ‘let’s talk’ plan.”

“Ok then, what do you want to talk about?” taeyeon moved on her seat to fully face jessica.

“…I can’t think of anything to say.” She said after a long pause then giggled “Why can’t I think of anything to say?”

“I don’t know, you usually drive me INSANE with all your talking.”

“You’re right, but in my defense, you’re just really easy to talk to.” Taeyeon blushed at that

“Thanks, I like talking to you too.” She said while smiling. After the silence that came after, jessica had a battle in her mind whether or not to tell taeyeon what she wanted to say, or just stay silent, but she chose the former.

“You know, this is actually good ‘cause umm, there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about. But you have to promise me you won’t freak out, and that you’ll just let me get it all out, and just listen, okay? Promise?”

“W-Why? Why would I freak out?” taeyeon suddenly got nervous with what jessica wanted to tell her.

“Because this is a big deal! And I’m nervous, and I just… it’s important to me. Will you just listen, please?”

“O-okay…” taeyeon’s heart beats so fast and so hard, it’s like a bomb that will explode any minute, but she focuses on what jessica wants to confess.

“I think…….I accidently ate a cucumber for breakfast. Like, I swear to god, I think krystal put a cucumber on my breakfast sandwich..”

And then, the moment was ruined. That definitely was not what taeyeon’s expecting to hear and the only thing she said was “Oh.”

“What? Why do you look so disappointed? I mean I was too, but aren’t you proud of me? I ate a cucumber!! I ate a freaking food abomination!”

“Why can’t you be serious for once?”

“What do you mean? Have you just met me now?” but taeyeon was still sulking “Come on…. What did you think I was gonna say, anyway?”

“You know.”

“No, I don’t. Tell me.” Taeyeon didn’t answer and just stared at her. “Why are you so upset? I should be the one upset that I ate that green thing.”

“You’re not being honest with me.” Taeyeon sighed

“What do you mean I’m not being honest? Tell me. What am I not being honest about? What do you want to hear?” she smiled

“See? You’re smiling! You’re teasing me!” taeyeon pointed to jessica’s lips

“No I’m not smiling.. Okay fine, I am, but I can’t stop! I don’t know why my face is doing this, I’m nervous, leave me alone” she laughed nervously

“You want me to tell you why you’re nervous? Okay. I think, we both know what you really want to talk about, and we’re both dancing around the subject, pretending to be dumb, and I suspect we’re both hoping the other person will bring it up so as to not be the vulnerable one. Am I correct? ‘Cause if I’m wrong, just tell me and I’ll.. move on and we’ll go back to goofing around and stuff.” taeyeon reasoned, but jessica went silent. She didn’t know what to say, so taeyeon just proceeded and told herself to just go on and finish this whole charades thing.

“Does this feel real to you? Like it is to me? I’ve known you, practically half my entire life, we’ve been friends since middle school. You’re the one I tell everything to. Every big decision I’ve made, you’re with me.” taeyeon took a deep breath and continued.

“I’ve been thinking about this, about us. I love you so much, you know I do, I always have. You mean everything to me and honestly, I don’t think I would’ve made half the I went through had it not been for you. At the end of each day, after we’re done hanging out, and as soon as you shut the door behind you, I just get so… sad, and I can’t wait to talk to you again.”

By this time, jessica was already staring at taeyeon pouring her heart out to her.

“It’s cheesy to hear but I really don’t know who I am without you. And lately I realized, this feelings I’ve been having, they’re not just platonic ones…I think I’m in love with you.” She looked at jessica

“I think I’ve known for a while, I was just too scared to admit it to myself, let alone, to you. I’m just.. so scared of ruining what we have because this is honestly the most important thing in my life and I would never forgive myself if this ruins things between us. But I can’t pretend anymore. I love you and I’m IN love with you.” Taeyeon confessed and they just stared at each other.

“Please say something….” The whole confession thing was nerve-wracking for taeyeon and it breaks her that jessica wasn’t saying anything after.

“Come on, say something. You made me do this. You were messing around and not being honest with me so I thought I’m gonna make the move then, so I poured my heart out to y—“ she was interrupted when jessica suddenly grabbed her shirt and pulled her into a kiss.

“You talk too much. That was new.” She teased. But when she pulled away, taeyeon was left in shock and her face looked flushed

“O-Okay then…” then she sat properly on her seat “You’re really good at that..” taeyeon admitted

“Really? That was my first though.” She smiled

“Do you…feel the same way?” taeyeon asked

“Really? You’re gonna ask me that after I kissed you? Of course I feel the same way, but I know how nerve-wracking it is to confess so I kinda wished you do it, and you did.”

“I’m glad I did.” Taeyeon was the one now pulling jessica for another kiss, this gets easier by the second, she thinks

“Do you want to go inside?” jessica asked

“But it’s still pouring, we’re gonna get wet and soaked.”

“I know it’s still pouring, but I don’t care anymore. I wanna be close to you, and the layout of this car is making it rather difficult so…” she giggled “Let’s just bolt out and run. If we get cold, I believe we can find a way to…warm up…” she smiled suggestively

“Are you suggesting something to me, Ms. Jung?” they both laughed “Anyway, ready?”

“Wait, kiss me again!” Jessica pecked taeyeon’s lips one more time, and then they bolt out the car.